Both. Critics who gave a balanced review & users on this site of course!...

Posted on CB10 with my Passport but previously my Q10
    11-20-14 02:39 PM
    Users no question

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 02:42 PM
    Users they have the full experience

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 02:44 PM
    So many of the professional pundits give reviews without every having held the device they're reviewing. They get advanced "talking points" from the company making the product they are reviewing, they get a spec sheet, and that's it. Suddenly they're issuing a review as if they're actually using the device. And they don't even tell you in the review that their entire spiel is based on guesswork and the company line.

End users are the ONLY ones to trust.
    11-20-14 03:28 PM
    Users - no vested interests.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    11-20-14 03:33 PM
    Myself
    GeoK likes this.
    11-20-14 03:33 PM
    Really? like the reviews on Amazon.com where of the 270 reviews less than 10 are from verified purchasers, the rest are probably from users of this and other BB fan sites trying to pump the devices. I believe the critics much more than the biased users
    Ah you must mean all those Vine reviewers that spam Amazon. Hey they get paid too just like "critics"--they get devices shipped to them to review.

I usually filter on Verified purchasers on Amazon. Users all the way.
    11-20-14 03:47 PM
    At Engadget, the Critics gave the Passport a 6.7 grade and the users gave it a near perfect grade of 8.9 out of 10.

The question is who do you trust more? Do stats influence your purchasing decisions?

BlackBerry Passport review - Engadget
    LOL, critics?? You mean "bloggers"?? A "tech-blogger" like the likes of engadgets and Co? LOLOLOLOLO!!! Just some political correct hipsters with their iSheeps or droid phones, with no own opinion. The days are over for quality media. These "bloggers" are all paid and corrupt.

I ONLY TRUST MYSELF and the users. Best proof: AMAZON reviews! Down and dirty with no BS!!!

So when the sheeple and political correct hipsters are bashing blackberry, just visit the amazon reviews!!! Every BB10 device has 4 or 4,5 stars!!! Enough said!

So these "bloggers" who never worked really hard, beside checking out the latest fashion trends and watching "how I met your mother", they are not the standard for me. So I stick with the critics. Good thread BTW!
    11-20-14 03:51 PM
    At Engadget, the Critics gave the Passport a 6.7 grade and the users gave it a near perfect grade of 8.9 out of 10.

The question is who do you trust more? Do stats influence your purchasing decisions?

BlackBerry Passport review - Engadget
    Logic dictates that you should never trust a critic the same way you should never trust a politician.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 04:08 PM
    I used to trust users then I found out that companies buy reviews, give free goods in exchange for positive reviews etc.

I try to read through the reviews now and find the ones that speak to concerns I might have about a product, but I also have reviewers I have come to trust over time. Leo LaPorte is an example of one.
    Reviews are confirmed if the user purchased the device or not. It's not that hard to find real user reviews.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 04:09 PM
    I always have respected the end user as far as product reviews go. Those are the folks who will put it through real time trail and error testing.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    11-20-14 04:22 PM
    Of course the USERS.. Critics don't know anything.. all they do is bash and bs. If you want a real review, go with the USERS. Bec. These are the people who uses the device on their daily lives.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    11-20-14 04:25 PM
    I actually base my decision on the critics first then the users second. What I do is read across many critics and also read those same critic's reviews of the phones I do have, then read those same critic's review of rival phones.

I dig up and read the critic's review of my old existing phone, to know how close he thinks to me. Then I read the critic's review of other rival phones. (ex. One critic listed as con the Passport for not having removable battery so I looked up his review of the iPhone and it was not listed as a con). Once I read his review of other phones I scrapped that from the con he listed because if he has no problem with the non-removable battery of iPhone then the same should be said of the passport. I do the same for the pros.

But still, I read the critic's because they usually give a more thorough breakdown of the phone and the pros and the cons.

The user's review, although more practical, often leaves out the cons that they can live with. That's the problem with user's reviews. The cons should be listed even if they can live with it because others might not be able to live with it. Also you need a larger sample of user reviews to get a better gauge of the product.

One major con that will always be a problem for Blackberry is the apps. True there is SNAP and true I was able to find apps to most of what I need. But there are still some games and even apps that wouldn't play or load correctly (even professionals like us play from time to time). And the way I look at it, SNAP will just further kill the developers in Blackberry World. In the long run, BlackBerry still needs to support the developers of Native apps.

Now, after I tally all the pros and cons, I decide. Take note that there is no Phone that has no cons, it's a matter of the pros out weighing the cons and if we can live with the cons.

For the passport the battery life and the capacitive keyboard did it for me. A phone with all of the apps and all of the games in the world but couldn't hold a charge for a whole day is not gonna be of use for me. That was the reason I went looking for a new phone because of my disappointment with my iPhone 5s battery. I never even heard of BlackBerry Passport when I went researching for my next phone. And now I'm happy that my first Blackberry is a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    retomex and solitude1984 like this.
    11-20-14 05:39 PM
    I tend to rely on users regardless of the product. I don't just read the glowing reviews but also the ones that have caveats mentioned as well.

I generally find that users generally want to record the truth from their perspective.

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-20-14 05:44 PM
    I don't trust anyone, I get opinions and value them and in the end I confront them to what I really experienced.
    For the Passport I wanted more screen estate but I was already 'hooked' by the Q10 so I didn't even waited for the first feedbacks. And I still don't regret it: great phone and phablet !
    I find people who pay for their stuff and give their advice even after a few months to be more credible though.
    Amazon for example never failed in giving me a good indication on a product I was interested in.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 05:47 PM
    Jonathan Geller is considered a critic. I'll leave it at that.
    11-20-14 06:00 PM
    You can't get a phone out a box and call it a review any more. I've seen like 20 reviews for the passport and not one tested it properly just shows how lame these people are. No one has reviewed the phone properly its all idiots throwing it against a wall or saying it doesn't fit in their pocket.

You just have to hear the name to answer the pocket question.
    Its a bit like the bend gate no one seems to get the picture behind that one either, even if it didn't work out so great for apple, for them it doesn't really matter.
    These reviewers are not engineers, they are just presenters, they now how to make a video at best. I bet half of them are still buying their cars based entirely on what colour it is, maybe I should just shut up, but that's not me.

If I were reviewing this thing I'd take it to bits, work out prices, what internal build quality is like, but probably the first thing I'd do is test the productivity claims, it after all mean't to be a productivity device. And while I'm not ready to take it to bits yet I know I will at some point and then I'll probably try to put it back together.

What's funny was the best review I saw was one guy with a glass of vsop checking out his passport he actually had a few insightful observations, I ain't seen any where else.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    11-20-14 06:00 PM
    When I read reviews and most of them don't even mention having used 10.2.1 much less 10.3.0 and they complain about the software I stop listening completely
    And the truth is they're not even using it on a daily basis (incidentally the only way to judge a device or OS properly)
    The opinions I trust are from people who have taken their time and I mean a few weeks at least and then posted their thoughts in an organized fashion. Not some of the rambling you often see.
    The way I see it is simple. If your going to offer your thoughts on a device costing a couple of car payments if better be well thought out, detailed and honest listing faults you find but not shying away from mentioning the good points.
    Otherwise I just move along.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:29 PM
    Jonathan Geller is considered a critic. I'll leave it at that.
    That reminds me of a cartoon my daughter watches "dog with a blog" lol

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 06:30 PM
    Let's face it, there have been a lot of really stupid reviews on the blackberry passport. I've seen a slice of American cheese put over the screen I heard one reviewer whining obsessively about not having a home button it's just sad. And the reviewers that say I can't use the phone with one hand. It's 4 inches wide and it has a physical keyboard. How could you ever type on a physical keyboard with one hand? I'll be honest with you, I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to keep my passport for the first few days that I had it. It takes a few days to get used to this phone. But then when you do many of its features are very very endearing.

The users at least know they're buying a wide phone with a physical keyboard that has many positive and productive traits. They are probably aware that BlackBerry is an excellent communication device, it's very efficient at communication tasks , and secure, but it doesn't have a million native apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 07:12 PM
    Neither. I trust myself.
    rambo47 likes this.
    11-22-14 07:15 AM
    I simply don't trust most reviewers because of the way the PR industry works. The Public Relations industry is very good at placing media pieces across the spectrum and hammering home a few simple soundbites. When you start hearing the same words to describe a product, for me that's a big red flag that PR shenanigans are underway. With the Passport it was, "Too big," "weird," "ugly," and synonyms. If Apple had released the device, it would have been "solid," "unique," "innovative." Why? Because Apple spends big bucks on some of the top PR firms out there, and BlackBerry does not.

So I tend to trust user reviews more.
    11-22-14 07:33 AM
    I always read the harsh reviews first before making decision, be it user or a critic. Such reviews were necessary earlier to promote products, wait for reaction etc...now a days most users know what they want, there are unlimited correct and incorrect information users can choose from, critics come into picture when you have conflicting information and may decide accordingly. Users need not explain many things that an experienced and seasoned critic does. Most of us learnt commenting reviews based on these critics and they definitely hold some value. I dont value their ratings instead I value their comments.
    11-22-14 07:35 AM
    Really? like the reviews on Amazon.com where of the 270 reviews less than 10 are from verified purchasers, the rest are probably from users of this and other BB fan sites trying to pump the devices. I believe the critics much more than the biased users
    Where's your proof that the 10% are real and the rest fake. Your no better than a critic.

You are also very negative on this site, why are you here again?
    11-22-14 07:40 AM
    so advice from this site are out since there are only fanboys here..that's why I never trust reviews from here..
    Your a fan boy then too right? Your on this site, unless you have a hidden agenda, kinda like a critic perhaps?
    11-22-14 07:41 AM
71 123