I really think the problem with BlackBerry 10 is that it is not a good platform for the bulk of average users due to apps.

It is great for users like corporate types that don't want or need a lot of apps.
    It is great for people who want a more basic smart phone.
    And it is really great power users who know how to get around the obstacles like installing Snap or a patched version of Google Play.
    So, the real issue is that average joe that wants to download apps and games but doesn't want to mess with hassles, even if he could easily work around if he tried.

I should add that it is also great for the wives of power users. My wife loves her q10, but she has me to install leaks and sideloads etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 03:25 PM
    I have a PP, really a few apps, seldom use them anyway.

I'm not different then most of bb10 users : emails, tasks, work...but of course the thumbs up with my pp is that I don't even use my pc anymore...

And of course, my wife has a Classic (ex Q10), she loves it. I install her apps and stuff...and she uses my pp when she needs long browsing on the net

So if I sum up : not fond of apps, love keyboards, and old fan of blackberry !!!
    Wouldn't change for anything else...especially now with the god damn PP :-D doubled with bb10 !

I'd say that the average user likes to BE like their friendly average user !!
    Like having an Ip***e is being IN ! Like their friends...

In the end, if they really think of how they use their phones, see that they do a lot of messenging, and maybe just some apps (let's just talk of usefull apps ok !!!)...well give them a bb10 phone for a week and they ll find it powerfull !

Let's say BB is Usefull
    And the rest is Playfull

White Passport via CB10
    07-19-15 03:34 PM
    For those of us that never "played" much using our smartphones, BBOS is great. On my previous Android phones, I did all the geeky stuff like custom kernels, flashing ROMs, tweaking with Xposed, etc, etc, but I never played Candy Crush, Tindered, Snapchatted, and I don't do social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

For me, transitioning to BBOS felt like growing up from teen to man in the mobile OS world. It just feels more refined, more stable, and mature. Android is still fun and I love the OS, but it seems slightly child-like to me.

The only apps I brought over from Android are Quizlet, YouTube, Google Maps, PocketCasts, Pandora, and Spotify. Cobalt's brilliance helped get those up and running perfectly, so pretty much I have a phone that's more stable, has better battery life, better speakers, better typing, and everything I used from my Android phones. It's perfect.

For the average user who's all about consuming media, games, and apps, BlackBerry will be a hard sell.
    07-19-15 04:23 PM
    Everyone is so app obsessed that some not all people don't even care about the software bb10 is a great OS. Seriously how many games do you need to kill a little time in between work. Most "popular" apps on other platforms run fine on BlackBerry. People have completely disregarded what OS they run nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 04:31 PM
    Just want to be different guys from other phone users.

From the cutest Q10
    07-19-15 07:04 PM
    I have alot of games, apps, native and droid on my Passport! I dont have an app shortage for what I do

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-19-15 07:11 PM
    I have alot of games, apps, native and droid on my Passport! I dont have an app shortage for what I do

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    I don't have any shortage either.

There is also nothing wrong with the OS either.
    If there were an equal number of apps, then there would be no issue even for the average user.

Ultimately, BlackBerry is never going to really get back to where they were without advertizing.

I also use Tmobile and look where they are going. They just passed Sprint and that are growing faster than any other carrier.
    First, because they have the best prices. Second, they have had a huge ad campaign.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 08:21 PM
    Sometimes I miss gaming on my phone however I have a pc for that and many games run ok. Being able to work on documents, write sermons or lessons plans right from my phone on the go and view CAD drawings on a nice size screen is invaluable.

Posted via CB10
    dale-c likes this.
    07-19-15 10:39 PM
    I really think the Blackberry 10 OS excels in being a great, secure, and stable communication OS. It also feels a lot less stifling when compared to how much company lock-in both Google and Apple have with their OS's. Blackberry just really needs to be careful to focus on refining their PIM, browser, and calling functionality. They are never going to win on apps and I don't think they have to.

So I think the type of user they will attract are people who don't want to fuss with tons of buggy roms or bloatware, but don't want the restrictiveness Apple seems to force down on their users.

I could argue that the hardware is also solid quality but so is Apple and some of the android manufacturers (Sony, some HTC phones, and some emerging Chinese firms). I bought the Passport because I found the design to be innovative and suited to my desire to write outside the office.

I do intend to demo some of the newer Windows devices in the coming year but so long as the core BB10 experience is not corrupted by Android I will keep supporting the company.

Posted via the CB10 on me red Passport
    07-19-15 10:58 PM
    So what you're saying is that BlackBerry has been relegated to what it originally was built for JUST EMAIL and users shouldn't expect it to do more than that and if they want more they shouldn't consider BlackBerry.

I have to say that business has evolved to more than sending emails if management at BlackBerry can't solve this problem the company is doomed. Remember fax machines? Fax machines are great I really like them I still do, I wish my smart phone could natively send faxes BUT I'm not going buy a smartphone that ONLY sends faxes. Important documents are still sent over fax, BUT that doesn't mean that companies who have fax machines don't have EMAIL.
    07-19-15 11:52 PM
    So what you're saying is that BlackBerry has been relegated to what it originally was built for JUST EMAIL and users shouldn't expect it to do more than that and if they want more they shouldn't consider BlackBerry.

I have to say that business has evolved to more than sending emails if management at BlackBerry can't solve this problem the company is doomed. Remember fax machines? Fax machines are great I really like them I still do, I wish my smart phone could natively send faxes BUT I'm not going buy a smartphone that ONLY sends faxes. Important documents are still sent over fax, BUT that doesn't mean that companies who have fax machines don't have EMAIL.
    I don't think most cellphones can send faxes anymore. I do remember a time of great featurephones like the T68i that could actually do that stupidity if your provider supported it. Companies are slow to adopt change (which is why crappy healthcare companies still build sites for ancient, unsupported versions of IE that use quirks), but they are moving towards BYOD and the fact of the matter is Apple has the highest market share, Blackberry should work on making their software licensing work for it if they can't compete on market share.

The point I was trying to make was not that Blackberry is *limited* to these core communication things. Just that they excel at it and it should be a focus since the other manufacturers, quite frankly, suck at it. I didn't buy my last two Blackberry devices because I wanted to play games. I bought them because I was frustrated at the lack of stability and support on my Android devices and I fell in love with the modern UX that Nokia tried to pull off in the N9 (with Harmattan). Blackberry 10 was the closest supported OS I could find to that. The UX of IOS has always felt dated to me and always pissed me off. Typing on one of their phones is an exercise in masochism. But I keep one as my backup beater phone because, like the Blackberry, it gets semi-frequent updates and decent support and it's mostly stable if not a little slow. I used to keep an android phone as a backup but it was unreliable and if I went long periods of time without using, I had to rely on buggy roms that never delivered a consistent user experience.

Another area that these devices excel is their web browsers. I use them quite often to see how features will behave on mobile in an ideal world, and the web inspector is really easy to use compared to android's clunky setup. Developing sites that work uniformly on android is *impossible* due to the 50 or so different modified browsers every manufacturer uses across OS version and product lines. (I have one site that only blackberry 10 phones will show a video background on, android and ios can't do it)

I'd like management to wake up and advertise, get some sort of agreement to force models out on operator's sales floors. It would be great if they could put an end to the Android rumors and state which direction they will go. I don't think the attention they have been getting recently has been positive at all, and I don't think the company will survive building Android phones (but QNX will always keep making them loot, in worst case the company will shrink down to merely being a software developer).

I don't like feeling like I'm always on the defense because I like the devices and OS. No matter what, the constant theme of owning a Blackberry in the US is that you are ALWAYS on the defense. I never got that vibe in Canada.
    blee4 likes this.
    07-20-15 12:22 AM
    I dunno, BlackBerry10 just does what I need it to do. I'd feel more convenience on iOS or Android though, honestly.
    I describe BlackBerry10 to people as a mix between the two systems. Easy to use and consistent, but customizable.
    Outside of the clich� that BlackBerry is for business users, I'd recommend BlackBerry10 as an OS which would be decent for people either new to smartphones, or want a mostly hastle-free interface.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-20-15 02:35 AM
    I'm 15 right now, started using bb 10 since I was 13 and i love me some apps but nothing can beat the flow and intuitiveness of bb 10 you can install android apps and launchers and can even patch Google services! It's the best device for everyone who gives it a chance to prove itself
    07-20-15 02:40 AM
    I'm 15 right now, started using bb 10 since I was 13 and i love me some apps but nothing can beat the flow and intuitiveness of bb 10 you can install android apps and launchers and can even patch Google services! It's the best device for everyone who gives it a chance to prove itself
    When I was 15 I had all the time in the world and I was building my own computers from scratch, hand picked every single part. Problem is as people get older and their list of responsibilities grow they have less and less time for these things. I have the guide for installing the patched version of Google Play Services bookmarked, but I don't have time to read through reams and reams of forums threads just to get it to work.

Also you have problems with upgrading etc... that's one of the appeals of iOS sure you can't customize everything but it works from DAY 1.
    07-20-15 08:05 AM
    Lol I just built my computer this January I was 14 then
    07-20-15 09:30 AM
    Well it's easy, bb10 is first OS that gets things done hassle free and guaranteed! Just do and forget, and you know that you can rely on it 100%.
    It's limitations come on sight when you drop very deep with apps, like page management in Facebook for instance, but for 90% daily activities it is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 11:19 AM
    When I was 15 I had all the time in the world and I was building my own computers from scratch, hand picked every single part. Problem is as people get older and their list of responsibilities grow they have less and less time for these things. I have the guide for installing the patched version of Google Play Services bookmarked, but I don't have time to read through reams and reams of forums threads just to get it to work.

Also you have problems with upgrading etc... that's one of the appeals of iOS sure you can't customize everything but it works from DAY 1.
    I still build computers and I'm 28, there's always time for hobbies. Please don't steer people away from Cobalt's apps with misinformation. Yes, the thread is long, but 95% are replies from lazy people not wanting to read directions. In the time it took you to write your post, you could have read the entire set of directions. You can be up and running with full Play Services in less than 10 min.

Lol I just built my computer this January I was 14 then
    What did you end up building?
    07-20-15 11:26 AM
    I'm 61 and it took me about 5 minutes out of my life to read Cobalt's first post and get Gplay services running and android apps a patching. How busy can a youngster be who can't do that?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    07-20-15 11:34 AM
    I'm 61 and it took me about 5 minutes out of my life to read Cobalt's first post and get Gplay services running and android apps a patching. How busy can a youngster be who can't do that?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport.
    That's a cool statement!
    Smokeaire likes this.
    07-20-15 05:01 PM

If you were responding to me, no, that is not what I said at all.

My point is that bb10 is powerful, yet the lack of native apps means that the people who will do the best with the platform, given the ecosystem linitations are the ones who either don't need a lot of apps, or who know how to get all the apps they need.

And email only is kinda silly. Out of the box, the Passport does so much more and with the combination of BlackBerry World and Amazon, it has a ton of functionality.

But, back to my point, the average user wants to download stuff only available on Google Play and might not want to mess with searching for patched apps etc.

Oh, and for faxing, I have faxed many times from my phones, just use an email to fax service, though I dropped mine because ATT gave me an almost free voice line.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 05:52 PM
    I still build computers and I'm 28, there's always time for hobbies. Please don't steer people away from Cobalt's apps with misinformation. Yes, the thread is long, but 95% are replies from lazy people not wanting to read directions. In the time it took you to write your post, you could have read the entire set of directions. You can be up and running with full Play Services in less than 10 min.

What did you end up building?
    I made a separate thread here about it. I7-4790k, asrock z97 extreme4, 16gb corsair vengeance ddr 3 1600mhz ram, 256gb mx 100 ssd, 1tb blue hdd, msi gtx 970
    07-20-15 07:04 PM

"...I should add that it is also great for the wives of power users. My wife loves her q10, but she has me to install leaks and sideloads etc. "

Posted via CB10
    Hmm... did I really just read the above-quoted language in a CrackBerry post in 2015?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 09:48 PM
    Well yeah but Android and iOS don't come with Blend, Hub or BBM...so one could say they have an app gap.
    07-20-15 09:57 PM
    Hmm... did I really just read the above-quoted language in a CrackBerry post in 2015?

Posted via CB10
    Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 10:10 PM
    I made a separate thread here about it. I7-4790k, asrock z97 extreme4, 16gb corsair vengeance ddr 3 1600mhz ram, 256gb mx 100 ssd, 1tb blue hdd, msi gtx 970
    Nice, I built a little m-ITX shoebox last year: i7-4770k delidded @ 4.6GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, 16GB RAM, GTX 750ti, 840 Evo 256GB main, 840 Evo 120GB scratch, and 2TB seagate as storage accelerated with a mSATA SSD.
    07-20-15 11:07 PM
36 12