Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Decided to finally upgrade from the Q10 to the Passport. I'm not happy with the way AT&T STILL hasn't updated me beyond the 10.3.2.556 so I wanted a new unlocked device so even though I'm still using AT&T, at least I'll have the opportunity to get the most up-to-date release instead of what I had. Maybe it won't matter much but I've never been pleased with the way AT&T held my device back when everyone else was given an update.

I remember something about one version having a "chin" on it? Besides the different colored models, how do I pick the best version available?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    03-14-18 07:09 AM
    Whereever you can still find it... eBay? Amazon?

SE had a few minor improvements over the AT&T and OG version... but it's all the same hardware, and at this point really no reason to be concerned about updates.
    03-14-18 07:23 AM
    Decided to finally upgrade from the Q10 to the Passport. I'm not happy with the way AT&T STILL hasn't updated me beyond the 10.3.2.556 so I wanted a new unlocked device so even though I'm still using AT&T, at least I'll have the opportunity to get the most up-to-date release instead of what I had. Maybe it won't matter much but I've never been pleased with the way AT&T held my device back when everyone else was given an update.

I remember something about one version having a "chin" on it? Besides the different colored models, how do I pick the best version available?

When I last used my AT&T Passport it was still on 10.3.2 but it was carrier locked. Make sure to avoid the AT&T version or make sure there’s 10.3.3 auto loader for the AT&T model at the very least.
    03-14-18 07:50 AM
    Maybe I need to clarify. I have seen them on Amazon and Ebay. What I need to know is how to avoid getting another BlackBerry that's locked to the AT&T system. I also saw "international" models (I think they were SQW100-1) so I wasn't sure if those are fully compatible with AT&T?

I never looked at the Passport when they were new because of the different kb, so I have a few noob questions. The majority I see are black & most said 32GB. Are all Passports 32GB? Other than trying to find a new SE, is there any feature or performance difference between the red, white and black models?

Do all models have qi charging? I know it's slow but my last 2 devices had the micro USB port die while the device was otherwise fine. It actually became a major plus with my Q10 since I now have 2 spare batteries and never have to be tethered to any kind of charger! I swap out the depleted one for a fresh battery. There's always a 2nd fully charged battery while the 3rd is on the charger. I'm going to miss the convenience! But I figure at least when I go to bed & won't need a quick charge it should be fast enough, & minimize wear on the port.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by scubafan; 03-14-18 at 08:18 PM.
    03-14-18 08:00 PM
    The AT&T version has all 4 corners rounded while Silver has only bottom corners rounded, and OG none. Only the AT&T version is locked to AT&T of course.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-18 02:41 AM
    I'm not sure which versions included wireless charging. I've never had issue with any charging ports so I prefer speed of wired charging over convenience of wireless charging.
    03-15-18 06:41 AM
    I got mine last year new from '. ' cellular' (forgot first name) out of Texas for $ 192 then downloaded 10.3.3.1463 OS
    03-30-18 10:15 PM
    Chuck, I actually won't be doing wireless charging for the "convenience" at all! After having 2 Blackberries + the Palm Treo Pro I used before making the switch to BB10 devices all become partially useless simply because the micro USB ports are so much more delicate & subject to damage vs the miniUSB on my BlackBerry Bold 9000.

03-31-18 05:20 AM
    I meant as convenience to me. I take better care of my toys. LOL. Eventually you're only going to have a giant black wired phone stamped Bell System that phone company used to rent customers.
    03-31-18 06:32 AM
    After having 2 Blackberries + the Palm Treo Pro I used before making the switch to BB10 devices all become partially useless simply because the micro USB ports are so much more delicate & subject to damage vs the miniUSB on my BlackBerry Bold 9000.
    While I won't argue with your personal experience, the MiniUSB port was only designed with a goal of 1000 connections/disconnections, and this was discovered to be a significant weakness, which was part of the design criteria for the MicroUSB, which had a design goal of 1M connections/disconnections.

As someone who repaired phones as a side business for years, I can tell you that almost every time a customer brought a phone with a "bad MicroUSB port" to be repaired, the problem wasn't the port, but rather with their charging cable.

The MicroUSB design relies on a tensioning system on the connector (and NOT in the socket) to keep the contacts touching, and depending on the build of the connector on the cable, it can be pretty easy to bend the connector enough to remove most of the tension created by these tensioners, which causes the connection to be intermittent or not work at all. Some connectors are quite robust, but a whole lot of them are made with inferior metal and/or design variations that lead to quick failures of the tensioning system.

In most cases, a new, good cable will solve the problem. Very few phones that I encountered actually needed any repairs to the jack itself.
    03-31-18 05:02 PM

I don't understand why you simply don't run an autoloader on your existing device. Update to the latest version in minutes.

Btw, only the AT&T version (SQW100-3) supports wireless charging.
    Last edited by conite; 03-31-18 at 05:52 PM.
    03-31-18 05:10 PM
    The Passport SE is the best option; it has a few improvements over the original and they are all non-branded and unlocked. Also easier to upgrade OS versions.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-18 07:46 PM
    I got mine last year new from '. ' cellular' (forgot first name) out of Texas for $ 192 then downloaded 10.3.3.1463 OS
    Where did you download the BlackBerry OS from? Or did you use an autoloader? All I've ever done was have my BlackBerry look for updates & download it.

04-01-18 11:10 AM
    Hi, I did it right from the Update look up in settings. It's the latest update. Takes 30 minutes to download then allow phone to reboot and take another 15-30 minutes to install.
    04-01-18 01:09 PM
    Where did you download the BlackBerry OS from? Or did you use an autoloader? All I've ever done was have my BlackBerry look for updates & download it.

Download this to your PC. Unzip it, plug in your phone, and run it. Done. Simple.

https://mega.nz/#!EJQUSIYJ!-g77DzNbq...QLrlWk78FSXqxk

The device will be wiped in the process, so prepare to start fresh.
    04-01-18 02:49 PM
    Download this to your PC. Unzip it, plug in your phone, and run it. Done. Simple.

https://mega.nz/#!EJQUSIYJ!-g77DzNbq...QLrlWk78FSXqxk

The device will be wiped in the process, so prepare to start fresh.
    04-01-18 03:05 PM
    Scubafan, let me know if you find a decent deal for a Passport SE. I'm in the market for one as well for collection purposes.

Hard to find one here in Canada (even online). Not willing to pay $700+ for what Amazon is asking for.
    04-03-18 01:13 AM
    @scubafan, there is a better reason than ever to use an autoloader. Krack has finally been patched (OS 10.3.3.3216), and it is unlikely it will ever be pushed out generally.
    04-03-18 06:11 PM
    So which autoloader has been patched for krack?

04-07-18 12:24 AM
    @scubafan, there is a better reason than ever to use an autoloader. Krack has finally been patched (OS 10.3.3.3216), and it is unlikely it will ever be pushed out generally.
    Conite, I think you missed my last post. Which autoloaders are patched for Krack? Also, do you know if the browser got new certificates? I get tired of my Q10 constantly warning me about "unsafe" sites... ;-)

05-04-18 04:15 PM
    Conite, I think you missed my last post. Which autoloaders are patched for Krack? Also, do you know if the browser got new certificates? I get tired of my Q10 constantly warning me about "unsafe" sites... ;-)

OS 10.3.3.3216 is the only OS patched for Krack. Here is the autoloader for your Q10:
    https://mega.nz/#!RJJWTTzT!USoRTNKQv...Bcej8X1VLRT6NU

New certificates are doubtful. The browser hasn't been saved from its rapid decline into oblivion - not by this OS anyway.
    05-04-18 04:19 PM
    Thanks Conite. I'm still shopping for a Passport. Will the link work with it as well? I'm not sure how prevalent Krack even is, but it makes sense to protect against the possibility.

05-18-18 04:36 AM
    If your in the U.S I'd stick with Amazon. An international version would be fine on ATT as it's 'unlocked' by definion (that being it's International)

This is a good summary I found on Wikipedia. It's creditble.

"Connectivity-wise, both the AT&T and International versions of the Passport ship with a quad-band GSM radio and penta-band UMTS radio. The international version of the Passport also ships with a 10-band LTE radio supporting Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17 and 20.[17] The AT&T version, however, supports only 9 bands and does not support LTE-FDD band 13 which is supported by the International version.[18] Both devices also come with a 802.11ac WiFi transceiver with hotspot and Wi-Fi Direct capabilities and a Bluetooth 4.0 transceiver. Lastly, both versions sport an FM radio with RDS capabilities, support Miracast screen mirroring, as well as HDMI and VGA output via SlimPort."

Send from my Blackberry Passport somewhere in space.
    05-18-18 10:04 PM