I used to upgrade my BlackBerry Every year... I'm gonna stick with my passport for now and see if and when any new BB10 device comes out... if not, I'll use my passport until it is broken, then fish out my old Z10 (the Z30 I gave to my girlfriend) and if that breaks, and still no new BB.10, I'll probably move to Windows... no android for me thanks, I hate the clutter on my tablets, and iphone just doesn't cut it if you want to be productive...

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 06:11 PM
    It's a great OS really. The only downside I see to it at the moment is that they need to do some serious catching up in the app department. How much that affects you depends on what you need I guess. The OS is very smooth though and I love the live tiles.
    i like the OS as well but its in the same boat as bb10 the lack of simple apps is a turn off i cant get a banking app for bb10 and looking at the windows store they dont have one either
    01-27-16 08:00 PM
    MS is working on a runtime for iOS to help ease their "app gap".
    No, they aren't. Such a runtime would get them sued by Apple, with Apple virtually guaranteed to win.

Instead, they are working on tools where Apple and/or Android developers can take their iOS or Android app source code and run it through a special Win10 compiler that will spit out a (more-or-less) Win10-compliant app. It's quite similar to BB's attempt to woo Android developers by allowing them to port their Android code over to the BB10 Android Runtime and thus put them into BB World - in other words, it relies on developers to actually take action to port over their apps.

Unfortunately, as BB found out, most developers aren't really interested in doing this, because it results in a very poor app experience. The app may function, but it won't really conform to the UI standards of the platform, and users will get confused. Plus, there will inevitably be bugs, which means that these developers will then need to maintain a separate "fork" of their app for conversion to Win10, which means more work and support for little if any return.

IMO, there's a much better chance of "Universal Windows Apps" helping WinPhone than any "auto-app-porter" utility will ever have.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    01-27-16 08:04 PM
    John said in CES2016, that BlackBerry may publish 1~2 Andriod devices, but there won't be new BB10 device coming this year.
    I'm afraid passport might be the last BB10 device.
    Personally I'll not use andriod on blackberry.
    01-27-16 10:21 PM
    My Passport remains my daily driver . Will continue using it till the time it lasts. I have taken the Priv and the device is found to be excellent .
    01-27-16 10:44 PM
    All devices are meant to be abandoned in a certain period of time. Even old units of iPad , iPhone, Android and Windows are no longer supported by their manufacturers - even their manufacturers are still emerging on the market... what else you can expect from more than a year old unit that produced by a dying company?

It's only sad that majority of mobile phone users doesn't share the same perspective when it comes to BB10 OS...

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 11:20 PM
    When my OS 10 devices die I will probably go back to the old-style Nokia. I simply don't need a six inch phone with dozens of CPU cores and costing hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-28-16 07:06 AM
    I upgraded my BlackBerry every year. Not this year. I fear this Passport will be my last BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Try the Priv . It is a great device .
    01-28-16 08:18 AM
    I think what ultimately failed is because of advertising..

I
    Big name apps like snapchat.. facebook.. Youtube.. Gmail have/should have developed good apps for BlackBerry but won't because userbase is too small. But the userbase will never grow because there are no apps.
    Posted via CB10
    Microsoft has made great apps that work with BB10. BBM is better than Snapchat. Anything is better than Gmail, ever heard of Outlook? Office 365 anyone? So many better alternatives than the ones you mention. Thats the real problem.
    01-28-16 10:00 AM
    I think what ultimately failed is because of advertising..

I'm sure it has been said many times and I'll say it again. People do not even know BlackBerry even exists or had "new" phones.

The general population and the average Joe think about BlackBerry as a doomed/already dead company. They talk down about their products when they haven't even used one in the first place.

My group of friends all have androids and iphones.
    I have a nexus 6P yes.. but I also have a classic and just bought a new passport se, waiting for shipment

When I talk about BlackBerry to them they are usually like "what? They are still alive?" or "their phones suck". I then proceed to show them the classic and they are always impressed with the hub.

Another problem is the apps.. there's a catch 22 here.. again been said many times. It also relates to advertising.

Big name apps like snapchat.. facebook.. Youtube.. Gmail have/should have developed good apps for BlackBerry but won't because userbase is too small. But the userbase will never grow because there are no apps.

Just my 2cents

Posted via CB10
    Your 2 cents are spot on. It's a great life mystery - BlackBerry and advertising; why not do it? Anyway it's too late now.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 11:06 AM
    Instead, they are working on tools where Apple and/or Android developers can take their iOS or Android app source code and run it through a special Win10 compiler that will
    That's right, I misspoke. I meant to say "SDK" but typed "runtime" in my haste.

Windows 10 can run reworked Android and iOS apps | The Verge

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges
    01-28-16 11:26 AM
    The SuperBowl ad killed BLACKBERRY!
    01-28-16 01:10 PM
    I will continue to use my awesome Passport until BlackBerry puts the final nail into BB10.
    After that it will look at a Android powered BlackBerry but not the Priv. Hoping BlackBerry will release an all touch Android phone, like the Z30.

Posted via the amazing Passport
    01-28-16 01:20 PM
    The SuperBowl ad killed BLACKBERRY!
    I would not go that far - but I agree that it was baffling to say the least that they would spend that much on an ad that showed what the phone could not do, instead of showing what it could do.
    01-28-16 02:52 PM
    I would not go that far - but I agree that it was baffling to say the least that they would spend that much on an ad that showed what the phone could not do, instead of showing what it could do.
    What were they supposed to sell? Peak and Flow? Time Shift? Security? Hub was still half baked and to this day is still primarily for email. The app situation was worse back then. BB10 itself was only half done. In reality the only thing they could sell was the idea that they were still around and even that did not work.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 03:10 PM
    People... they made ONE Android phone. ONE. And. Since then the trolls have been on here in droves spewing speculation and spin and misinformation about the end of BB10. This is despite formal word from BlackBerry to the contrary.

Sheeesh!

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.1.1779)
    01-28-16 03:15 PM
    You worry too much on how long you want to keep your Passport. Have you seen other people STILL carries and rockin their Bold 9900/30. Honey, chill, your Passport is SAFE for the next 10 years. hehehe..
    01-28-16 03:43 PM
    I will stick with my SE for the next couple of years. By then we will know if BlackBerry will still be in the device manufacturing business.

Also by then the Priv and it's follow-ons will have succeeded or failed. Hoping that they make a new bb10 device in 2018 at the latest.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 04:17 PM
    Try the Priv . It is a great device .
    I'm sure it is, but it is android... cluttered and contra productive

Posted via CB10
    01-28-16 05:53 PM
    It is a good question. And one I have no answer to.

However, I was speaking with a colleague and competitor at another institution before dinner not too long ago. I noticed he was not longer using his Q. Apparently it broke. About six months back. He asked IT for another but was told it was "too difficult" and given a 9900. It seems that the carrier or BB, it was unclear, was not all that keen to service and replace the Q's. . . . And little interest to push the PP. My colleague relayed recently it was suggested by the carrier or BB, again unclear, a move to the Priv. Yet, given the price, if a decision is made to move to Android, it will be on a less expensive phone or a manufacturer that will offer deep discounts.

So, based on the above and the experience of others, and myself, BB itself may also not know where it is heading as there seems to be confusion and mixed message.....
    01-28-16 07:29 PM
    I've given in and gone Android. I absolutely loved the passport but hated that I couldnt use my banking app, and that I had to keep patching apps like clash of clans and keep updating things for cobalts play store top keep running properly. The final straw was the last official update that totally messed up the Android runtime.
    I sold the passport while it's still worth something but I've still got my classic in the drawer as a backup- I can't seem to go completely bb free for some reason

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-29-16 03:18 AM
    I understand people concern, but I have a Passport Silver edition which is flawless on O2.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 03:37 AM
    Sorry didn't finish post. As I write I have installed 55 apps not including Blackberry integrated ones. I have the latest OS that was OTA. What's there to worry about. My son has a Windows Phone which I like, but quite often he hits the App problem or lack off, and I'm able to successfully use it on my PP.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 03:40 AM
48 12