What I think should be called the "Classport":

Where Does BlackBerry Take The Passport From Here?-passport-slider-1.gif
    Click the image to get the whole picture.

If you're going to do a two-handed device, go all in! This thing would be as useful as a PC for lots of tasks.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-05-15 at 10:04 PM.
    RexdaleNap, BBRYQ10 and JMDBERRY like this.
    05-05-15 09:54 PM
    Ok,...we have versions 1.0 (original Passport) and version 1.1 (AT&T version). The question is, what will version 2.0 of the BlackBerry look like?

Things I'd like to see:
    #1 - A Trackpad. (let's face it...it would be an awesome addition)
    #2 - Faster processor (why not?)
    #3 - 4 GB of RAM (...why not?)
    #4 - 1/4" to 3/8" taller Screen!
    #5 - 4th Row of Keys (why not?)
    #6 - 4000mah Battery (...again, why not?)

In essence, just merge the Classic and Passport, but retain the W I D E SCREEN form factor!

They can call it what they want,...just build the damn thing!

Mr. Chen...are you reading this?

Posted via CB10
    Do u own a passport?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 11:02 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passport-Slider-1.gif 
Views:	1170 
Size:	839.7 KB 
ID:	351377

If you're going to do a two-handed device, go all in! This thing would be as useful as a PC for lots of tasks.
    I think I just creamed a little.
    05-05-15 11:08 PM

The track pad may have its functionality,won't deny that, but it's also keeping alive the stigma that BlackBerry is still BlackBerry of old. Need to let it go imo.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 11:40 PM
    The track pad may have its functionality, won't deny that, but it's also keeping alive the stigma that BlackBerry is still BlackBerry of old. Need to let it go imo.
    BlackBerry should co-opt Apple's old slogan: Put up a picture of an iPhone and use the same typeface as the old Apple ads, but change the slogan to "Think Same-y".

Then a picture of the above device, and "Think... well, you get the idea".

Beum. Mainstream media coverage (sure there will be some mocking but when you declare your difference with pride, even the people ridiculing you respect you.)

I don't think there is a single person alive who still would consider a BlackBerry that would change their mind if the device had a trackpad, for many reasons that have been discussed elsewhere, but if a BlackBerry 10 device is even under CONSIDERATION for use as a daily-driver, whomever is considering it has moved WAY beyond "trackpad-phobia"... they're probably using a Z30 right now, and won't buy a trackpad-equipped device, but certainly isn't choosing between a BB10 device and an HTC One M9 or Galaxy S6. If their choice is "hmmm... should I buy a very well built Android device with a million apps and great specs and huge after-market support but without a trackpad, or this BB10 device with great specs and not as many apps and hardly any after-market support, but it has a trackpad: well, I don't care about the apps or the aftermarket support, and I don't think they're going bankrupt, but I just can't stand the trackpad, so it'll have to be the Android device. C ya, BlackBerry!". Since people don't reason that way, I just don't think it has any negative impact at all.

If people are letting their choice of devices be decided by who they think might say "Nice BlackBerry, Grandpa!" then, well, they'll just drag the brand down. We're not still here because we let peer-pressure decide what device we use.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-06-15 at 12:44 AM.
    05-06-15 12:31 AM
    Many here are bawling out about the size. I don't understand why though. Large format phones are here to stay. Samsung's NOTE series and Apple's iPhone 6+ pretty much have proven this.

If the size of future Passport models were reduced, it would not be a Passport anymore. To be called a "Passport" the device would have to at least meet the minimum size of a real passport; so the same size or a little bit larger would be fine for me. I have big hands so large devices are not an issue for me. If Blackberry made a device the same size as an iPhone 6+ with a PKB, I would definitely be interested. Having been rebaptized into PKB, I am not eager to return to a full touch screen. It bugs me to no end to have to constantly be retyping on those things.

Future Passports could benefit from more RAM or faster processors. Someone mentioned 64-bit...that would be excellent. Improving the Android functionality so that users could enjoy fully functional Google Play apps/services on the devices.

Like I said, I am a PKB user, but I think Blackberry would do well to offer a fullscreen version of the Passport. That picture looks mighty nice. I am certain it would sell well.

-- Passport, VMO, Toronto CA
    05-06-15 12:50 AM
    Zero interest in that touchscreen Classport, just grab a phablet instead.

Apple did a terrible job with the 6+. Tried to mirror the design language of the smaller iPhone and ended up making it monstrous. Case and point: Huawei Ascend Mate 7 was able to cram 0.5" more screen into a chassis the same size as the 6+.

I agree with your point about keeping the Passport the same size; they should. And keep the PKB, for sure. There's bezel space to diminish which could allow for a slightly bigger screen and adjustment for ideal chin spacing.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 01:31 AM
    ...Apple did a terrible job with the 6+...
    I�m sure that when the iPhone 6+ was taking over 41% of the phablet market in only a month after its launch, it was pretty well settled that Apple was doing a pretty good job with its first phablet.

And when Apple announced at the Apple Watch event that both the iPhone 6 and 6+ had a 99% customer satisfaction rate, that was another big clue that the device was performing well.

And, of course, Apple set sales records headlined by the strength of the iPhone 6 and 6+ lines.

But oh, yeah, some other OEM had a larger display with a similar sized device footprint, so there is that.
    05-06-15 03:21 AM
    I�m sure that when the iPhone 6+ was taking over 41% of the phablet market in only a month after its launch, it was pretty well settled that Apple was doing a pretty good job with its first phablet.

And when Apple announced at the Apple Watch event that both the iPhone 6 and 6+ had a 99% customer satisfaction rate, that was another big clue that the device was performing well.

And, of course, Apple set sales records headlined by the strength of the iPhone 6 and 6+ lines.

But oh, yeah, some other OEM had a larger display with a similar sized device footprint, so there is that.
    Cool, way to bring in everything encompassing Apple and it's marketing prowess into a thread focused heavily on design of a new handset. Your last line was the only thing relevant.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 11:20 AM

No

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 02:18 PM
    Zero interest in that touchscreen Classport, just grab a phablet instead.

Apple did a terrible job with the 6+. Tried to mirror the design language of the smaller iPhone and ended up making it monstrous. Case and point: Huawei Ascend Mate 7 was able to cram 0.5" more screen into a chassis the same size as the 6+.

I agree with your point about keeping the Passport the same size; they should. And keep the PKB, for sure. There's bezel space to diminish which could allow for a slightly bigger screen and adjustment for ideal chin spacing.

Posted via CB10
    Please put a 4-row keyboard in it!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 02:18 PM
    BlackBerry should co-opt Apple's old slogan: Put up a picture of an iPhone and use the same typeface as the old Apple ads, but change the slogan to "Think Same-y".

Then a picture of the above device, and "Think... well, you get the idea".

Beum. Mainstream media coverage (sure there will be some mocking but when you declare your difference with pride, even the people ridiculing you respect you.)

I don't think there is a single person alive who still would consider a BlackBerry that would change their mind if the device had a trackpad, for many reasons that have been discussed elsewhere, but if a BlackBerry 10 device is even under CONSIDERATION for use as a daily-driver, whomever is considering it has moved WAY beyond "trackpad-phobia"... they're probably using a Z30 right now, and won't buy a trackpad-equipped device, but certainly isn't choosing between a BB10 device and an HTC One M9 or Galaxy S6. If their choice is "hmmm... should I buy a very well built Android device with a million apps and great specs and huge after-market support but without a trackpad, or this BB10 device with great specs and not as many apps and hardly any after-market support, but it has a trackpad: well, I don't care about the apps or the aftermarket support, and I don't think they're going bankrupt, but I just can't stand the trackpad, so it'll have to be the Android device. C ya, BlackBerry!". Since people don't reason that way, I just don't think it has any negative impact at all.

If people are letting their choice of devices be decided by who they think might say "Nice BlackBerry, Grandpa!" then, well, they'll just drag the brand down. We're not still here because we let peer-pressure decide what device we use.
    BB10 was introduced as and is a gesture based OS. The re introduction of the tool belt was not to bring it back entirely but rather to transition BBOS users to the BB10 platform. This is evident when you consider that no BB10 devices out side of the Classic, new or old have it. Even the slider that was previewed didn't have it. As far as I've heard and read, the classic isn't even selling that well so this demand for tool belt comes across more as nostalgia then actual need.

Face it, perception is what's dragged BlackBerry into its current position (alongside other things no doubt), and keeping that track pad around tells most people (however stupid the logic is) that nothing has changed at BlackBerry. Yes the people that are still BlackBerry don't care, but these people evidently aren't enough to take the handset division out of the red and that's the ground reality.

Posted via CB10
    KR2013 likes this.
    05-06-15 03:54 PM
    Similarly, does it really need a trackpad? They just need to enable the keyboard to also act like a trackpad,.. no need to even move your thumbs off the keyboard area.
    Posted via CB10
    I agree, the keyboard could very well be the trackpad and he space bar the click. It is all there, just need a software tweak.
    05-06-15 04:36 PM
    Do u own a passport?

Posted via CB10
    Ahhhh! Yes I do,...an AT&T version.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 05:26 PM
    I agree, the keyboard could very well be the trackpad and he space bar the click. It is all there, just need a software tweak.
    BlackBerry needs to do this. Imagine how much more functional the Passport would become if the pkb functioned as an actual trackpad. One hand usability, for one, would be huge.

Why aren't you on a Passport? 
    05-09-15 03:43 AM
    BlackBerry needs to do this. Imagine how much more functional the Passport would become if the pkb functioned as an actual trackpad. One hand usability, for one, would be huge.

Why aren't you on a Passport? 
    Hurrah, more glitches!!!

Just make a damn phone that does what it says it does, I don't care if it's the exact same thing, just no double type, no lifting screen, no back watermark thingy, no crazy software glitches, no updates that disable functions, no more BBM spamming. That's not too much to ask now is it?

Stop making things that they can't make, and I'm good.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-09-15 04:44 AM
    I wear a men's medium glove and if the phone were just a wee bit smaller, by maybe 10-12mm, it would be much easier to pocket and use as a phone without giving up much screen real estate.

I'd like to see a BlackBerry World that is something like the hub, where BlackBerry, Amazon and Google Play apps can be had from one place.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-15 05:51 AM
    I'd like to see a BlackBerry World that is something like the hub, where BlackBerry, Amazon and Google Play apps can be had from one place.
    That's not a bad idea. Except it wouldn't have Google Play apps.
    05-09-15 08:09 AM
    Well, I'd like them to fix their manufacturing problems by NOT using glue to stick it together.

There is a reason why old Blackberries were so durable (r900, 9900, Q10) and that was proper assembly using screws and replaceable parts.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-09-15 08:12 AM
    I have an idea, keep the size but make it a clam shell. The upper part is filled entirely by the display, the lower part contains a 5 row keyboard and a trackpad just like on a laptop with 3 buttons. Now we have a small computer where you can move a pointer as well, great for remote desktop your PC.

The keyboard is in the lower part and the trackpad is in the upper with the 3-buttons between the keyboard and the trackpad.

What do you think?
    05-09-15 09:56 AM
    I have an idea, keep the size but make it a clam shell. The upper part is filled entirely by the display, the lower part contains a 5 row keyboard and a trackpad just like on a laptop with 3 buttons. Now we have a small computer where you can move a pointer as well, great for remote desktop your PC.

The keyboard is in the lower part and the trackpad is in the upper with the 3-buttons between the keyboard and the trackpad.

What do you think?
    Not a bad idea. But can't see how that would be well accepted.
    05-09-15 12:04 PM
    Next step is cramming all that passport power into a Classic chassis...that would be an instant buy for me

Posted via CB10
    THIS

Red BlackBerry Passport
    05-09-15 09:07 PM
    A 5'5 X 4'5 inch screen would be great for video watching..

Posted via CB10
    05-10-15 01:13 AM
    The Passport is the most ergonomically incorrect device BlackBerry has ever produced.
    05-13-15 04:54 PM
    Mainly I would like to see them keep the course and just make refinements and spec bump aka perfect perfection. I'd like to see the camera keeping pace with other flagships or there about. Move the power button to the right hand side.

Now if your talking really doing something stupid shove a giant 2nd screen right across the back that shuts people up about video or gaming and make it a functional trackpad to boot....

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 05:18 PM
102 12345