Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this, but would a "lifting" key be covered under the warranty? AFAIK in my case it's not due to damage from use, I just noticed it on my kb one day. I still have ~4 months left on warranty.

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    It should certainly be. The key is not designed to lift, but stay in place with only limited movement for keystrokes. If it is lifting of its own accord, than it's a defect in workmanship and your warranty applies.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-13-15 03:31 PM
    I too think the screen lift issue is probably fairly widespread. It finally happened to my otherwise pristine passport and it's back in BB's hands for repair. I imagine the same type/amount of glue was used in them all so they'll probably all suffer from it eventually.

I just hope the repair holds up.

If I was in this situation I'd probably take the device to someone who repairs phones and see if they could fix it with a strong glue. It's not like any component is faulty just the glue holding it together.
    06-13-15 03:46 PM
    Your not the "original end user"
    So the warranty by BlackBerry does not apply to you.

New packaging or not. The original end use is the person that bought it from a licensed seller.

Posted via CB10
    Boy, that sure is a lot to infer from the phrase "end user." Sorry but you're wrong. Although Wikipedia is not considered a scholarly and particularly reputable resource of information, the definitions of end user taken from other sites on the internet all show up in its definition:

In economics and commerce, an end user[a] is a person that uses a particular product. A product may be purchased by several intermediaries, who are not users, between the manufacturer and the end user, or be directly purchased by the end user as a consumer. For example, the end user of a pharmaceutical product is the patient who takes it, rather than distributors, pharmacists and physicians who may purchase it in their behalf.

An end user of a computer system or software is someone who uses it.[1]

In contracts in some jurisdictions, the term end user is a legal term for a non-reseller[citation needed]. This legal construct is used in End-User License Agreements (EULAs); the end user is the user, rather than purchaser, of the subject of the Agreement.

I'm sorry, but there's no way the guy who sold me a brand new, unused product is an END USER. If I had all the money in the world, I'd fight this in court for the hell of it.

Denying me for not having the original purchase receipt (they specifically want the one from AT&T) is stupid and irrelevant. If you were denied warranty for a faulty Samsung dishwasher you purchased brand new from your local mom-and-pop Dishwashers-R-Us department store because you were required not to have the receipt from when you purchased it, but the receipt between Samsung and Dishwashers-R-Us, you'd be up in arms about it.
    06-13-15 03:47 PM
    If Paypal gives you protection for 180 days, call them and raise a dispute. If that doesn't work, if you have linked your credit card to your PayPal account, raise a dispute with the credit card company. If it's a debit card I don't think it's possible to raise a dispute.

But ensure to tell them that the seller dint tell you about warranty transfer.

Posted via the amazing 'Red' BlackBerry Passport
    06-13-15 06:52 PM
    Boy, that sure is a lot to infer from the phrase "end user." Sorry but you're wrong. Although Wikipedia is not considered a scholarly and particularly reputable resource of information, the definitions of end user taken from other sites on the internet all show up in its definition:

In economics and commerce, an end user[a] is a person that uses a particular product. A product may be purchased by several intermediaries, who are not users, between the manufacturer and the end user, or be directly purchased by the end user as a consumer. For example, the end user of a pharmaceutical product is the patient who takes it, rather than distributors, pharmacists and physicians who may purchase it in their behalf.

In contracts in some jurisdictions, the term end user is a legal term for a non-reseller[citation needed]. This legal construct is used in End-User License Agreements (EULAs); the end user is the user, rather than purchaser, of the subject of the Agreement.

I'm sorry, but there's no way the guy who sold me a brand new, unused product is an END USER. If I had all the money in the world, I'd fight this in court for the hell of it.

Denying me for not having the original purchase receipt (they specifically want the one from AT&T) is stupid and irrelevant. If you were denied warranty for a faulty Samsung dishwasher you purchased brand new from your local mom-and-pop Dishwashers-R-Us department store because you were required not to have the receipt from when you purchased it, but the receipt between Samsung and Dishwashers-R-Us, you'd be up in arms about it.
    ^^^This is what I was telling the BlackBerry Customer Service reps!!! I also looked into the laws in America and it's illegal to require us to go through point of purchase for a manufacturers limited warranty but it's a matter of resources versus compensation for the effort. Best outcome is you receive warranty support worst case is you receive refund. Lots of money later and I don't see any sort of meaningful change or different outcome and They know it!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 07:29 PM
    Doesn't matter I am an end user and BlackBerry wouldn't honor their limited warranty. I purchased an AT&T Passport and the screen was lifting. Blackberry claims because I purchased through AT&T I have to go through them, no where in the warranty paperwork does it say that and here in America it is ILLEGAL to require that in a warranty. AT&T outright told me they would accept the screen lifting as a warranty issue so I went to BlackBerry for warranty service, BlackBerry reps told me it was a hardware issue but their agreement with AT&T I had to go through them. AT&T sent me a replacement but now I waiting for the other shoe to drop of them saying it isn't covered which will trigger a $500+ charge that I will fight cause BlackBerry doesn't acknowledge the screen lift as an issue there for AT&T claims it's user damage!!!! Love the phone but this passing the buck is tiresome!!!
    This is on AT&T's website:

"In order to be eligible for a warranty exchange, your defective device:
    - Must be within the warranty coverage period. New devices carry a warranty from the manufacturer of 1 year after purchase date. AT&T Certified Like-New devices carry a warranty of 90 days after purchase date.
    - Can't have any mobile device damage not covered by warranty beyond normal wear and tear."

Source can be found by a Google search of "att device warranty", first result. (Pasting the link doesn't seem to work. It gets changed to something else.)

AT&T is responsible for the one year warranty duration, at least with frontline dealings with the customer. BlackBerry wasn't doing any shenanigans with you. It would be no different with another brand of phone (except maybe Apple, because they have other arrangements).

Does your warranty papers say something different than what is posted on AT&T's site?
    06-13-15 07:52 PM
    heck, my old z10 is still only on 10.2 because it's in a database as tmobile tied,even though it's carrier unlocked.
    Well, you can partially blame your fellow BlackBerry users for demanding that BlackBerry stop their relationship with T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile USA was the first U.S. carrier to release 10.2.X to the customers en masse. (Verzion accidentally did for a short period before shutting it down, so that, to me, doesn't count.) Yes, T-Mobile USA goofed with their advertising, but I see that as no different that having other carriers tell customers to pick non-BlackBerry devices at their retail stores.

If your device is factory unlocked, then simply removing the SIM will allow you to update to 10.3.2, though that doesn't seem necessary as my factory unlocked Z30 updated fine without having to remove the T-Mobile USA SIM.

If your device is just carrier unlocked, then you're in the same boat as all carrier-branded customers: at the mercy of the carrier. It's not just a BlackBerry thing, as you've stated. It's a carrier thing and not something you can blame the device maker. They'll release updates and you'll get them... if you're not in the U.S.
    06-13-15 08:11 PM
    In this case, depending on the agreement between the mom & pop shop and Samsung, you'd either have to bring it back to the mom & pop shop for replacement or go through Samsung. Both would honor your request.

You've bought a new washing machine from someone who bought it from the mom & pop store. That's where your example doesn't work. By agreement, in this example, the mom & pop store would handle the return. You don't have that option /because/ you didn't buy it from them and they're supposed to handle the return for the warranty period.
    06-13-15 08:30 PM
    This is on AT&T's website:

"In order to be eligible for a warranty exchange, your defective device:
    - Must be within the warranty coverage period. New devices carry a warranty from the manufacturer of 1 year after purchase date. AT&T Certified Like-New devices carry a warranty of 90 days after purchase date.
    - Can't have any mobile device damage not covered by warranty beyond normal wear and tear."

Source can be found by a Google search of "att device warranty", first result. (Pasting the link doesn't seem to work. It gets changed to something else.)

AT&T is responsible for the one year warranty duration, at least with frontline dealings with the customer. BlackBerry wasn't doing any shenanigans with you. It would be no different with another brand of phone (except maybe Apple, because they have other arrangements).

Does your warranty papers say something different than what is posted on AT&T's site?
    According to multiple AT&T reps, purchasing the device outright "wipes their hands clean of any responsibility" to me. Since I'm not a customer, they can't look up an account or do anything on their end. So basically, neither BlackBerry or AT&T will honor their warranty.

You've bought a new washing machine from someone who bought it from the mom & pop store. That's where your example doesn't work. By agreement, in this example, the mom & pop store would handle the return. You don't have that option /because/ you didn't buy it from them and they're supposed to handle the return for the warranty period.
    Fair enough. I guess what's basically wrong in these warranty documents are:

a) Bad definitions. You can't be an end user if you don't use the ******* device.

b) No explanation or any wording whatsoever pointing to who you must buy the new product from for the warranty to apply

c) No mention that if you buy a carrier branded device outright, and are not a customer, you are **** out of luck for a warranty
    06-13-15 08:41 PM
    According to multiple AT&T reps, purchasing the device outright "wipes their hands clean of any responsibility" to me. Since I'm not a customer, they can't look up an account or do anything on their end. So basically, neither BlackBerry or AT&T will honor their warranty.
    I'd be curious if AT&T told that to your seller when he/she bought the Passport outright from them. Would he/she have a warranty should after six months, he/she were to switch to T-Mobile USA, for instance?

Fair enough. I guess what's basically wrong in these warranty documents are:

a) Bad definitions. You can't be an end user if you don't use the ******* device.

b) No explanation or any wording whatsoever pointing to who you must buy the new product from for the warranty to apply

c) No mention that if you buy a carrier branded device outright, and are not a customer, you are **** out of luck for a warranty
    For b), it's an AT&T device and AT&T provides first line customer service for the warranty period. If you bought it from Amazon, Amazon would provide first line customer service, probably for the first couple of months, then it would fall upon BlackBerry. For ShopBlackBerry, it would be ShopBlackBerry for the first 30 days, then BlackBerry after that.

I know everyone goes into buying something new and expects everything to be perfect. When things go wrong is when people really pay attention to warranty policies, which were probably not read or glossed over the first time around. It's an unfortunately learning process.

c) would be a lesson learned for all of us, if that's the case. I've had a Q10 replaced, not because of a defect, but because the carrier kept giving me the wrong unlock code to the point of it being permanently locked to the carrier. I was still using their service so the replacement was no hassle. I'd be wary of buying from another carrier now.
    06-13-15 09:01 PM
    Weren't you trying to sell an ATT passport in the marketplace a week or two ago?

Glad I didn't buy from your scamming a**. Trying to offload the defective unit?

You should be banned.

Looks like karma got you.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 09:29 PM
    Weren't you trying to sell an ATT passport in the marketplace a week or two ago?

You should be banned.

Posted via CB10
    Woah there tiger. I had 2 AT&T Passports, that one sold about 3 weeks ago on Swappa. Been dealing with the double typing on my personal unit for quite a bit longer now.

Think before you speak. Looks like being an impulsive hothead got you.
    06-13-15 11:32 PM

Look up the definition of end user on the warranty paperwork.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 05:28 AM
    OK I'll put and end to this.
    Look at the second sentence in the first paragraph.
    And yes, you bought the unit from a third party.

When does warranty apply, and when does it not?-img_20150614_064322.png

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 05:44 AM
    Yes, but nnno one should bbe "lettinng me slide." if I purchased a used device, that's onne thing, but this was brannd new. I wrongfully assumed standardd hardware warranty would apply.

Nonetheless, as it stands the warrannty PDF is too vague.

BlackBizzle my nizzle

I wasn't arguing the right or wrong of it. You asked a question... I answered your question with the best case scenario for you and the likely outcome. How you go about it, well... that's up to you...

06-14-15 06:18 AM

You should be banned.

Posted via CB10
    Lol if true! I hate scammers
    06-14-15 07:10 AM
    Lol if true! I hate scammers
    Don't be such a ******* fool. Go read the marketplace listing, read the descriptions, and look at the pictures. Does that look like a 2 month old device? Would I list a device as practically new and in pristine condition if I knew that the buyer would pull the phone out of the box and immediately start experiencing double and triple typing?

Would I have 100% feedback on ~260 transactions between eBay and Swappa? I must be a scammer.
    06-14-15 02:15 PM
    Look up the definition of end user on the warranty paperwork.
    Unless, I am missing something "end user" comes from the "BlackBerry End User / Software License Agreement," because there is no definition anywhere on Limited Warranty paperwork or online PDFs. Looking here at the document, there is no provided definition of "end user," and only states this:

"This BlackBerry End User / Software License Agreement (collectively the "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you ("You"), and RIM (as defined below) (together the "Parties" and individually a "Party"). BY INDICATING YOUR ACCEPTANCE BY CLICKING ON THE APPROPRIATE BUTTON BELOW, OR BY INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT."

The seller did not install or use the software, because the device was sealed and brand new in a box, so again, how is he the original end user?

OK I'll put and end to this. Look at the second sentence in the first paragraph. And yes, you bought the unit from a third party.
    Thanks for finding that. I guess we're all learning something new every day, but does that paragraph basically mean that if you buy an AT&T branded device from ANY OTHER seller other than AT&T themselves, then the warranty is immediately void?
    06-14-15 02:37 PM
    Thanks for finding that. I guess we're all learning something new every day, but does that paragraph basically mean that if you buy an AT&T branded device from ANY OTHER seller other than AT&T themselves, then the warranty is immediately void?
    Correct, the warranty is void if purchased from a third party seller.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 04:08 PM
    So glad I live in europe... here we have a mandatory 2 year warranty from the seller...

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 05:20 PM
    Unless, I am missing something "end user" comes from the "BlackBerry End User / Software License Agreement," because there is no definition anywhere on Limited Warranty paperwork or online PDFs. Looking here at the document, there is no provided definition of "end user," and only states this:

"This BlackBerry End User / Software License Agreement (collectively the "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you ("You"), and RIM (as defined below) (together the "Parties" and individually a "Party"). BY INDICATING YOUR ACCEPTANCE BY CLICKING ON THE APPROPRIATE BUTTON BELOW, OR BY INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT."

The seller did not install or use the software, because the device was sealed and brand new in a box, so again, how is he the original end user?

EULA is for software; you're BlackBerry device is hardware. If what you're having is software issues, you still have to do a hardware warranty exchange, so none of the EULA applies in that case because it is still deemed a hardware failure causing a software issue; and since you bought the unit from a 3rd party, you inadvertently forfeit the hardware warranty since it only applies to the original purchaser through an authorized re-seller.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 07:45 PM
    Well i don't know the US rules with BlackBerry but they should all be the same. My situation was i bought a Z30 from kijijji (like craigslist) i had no receipt and the phone was acting up. I took the phone into Telus (it was a Telus phone) it was still under warranty they sent me back a refurbished device, this happened 4 more times, all with no proof of purchase, they finally sent me a new one which at the same time they gave me a free Passport for all the problems i had with the Z30. So you just need a carrier to send it to BlackBerry because we can send it directly either. Try to get AT&T to send it to BlackBerry ,AT&T will be able to tell you if you have a valid warranty which you should have. And that should solve the warranty issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 08:17 PM
    'Warranty' should be applied to 'device' not to the 'owner'. Same goes to 'insurance'. Which we can conclude to claim that, even you are not the original buyer, as long as your device is still technically covered by a valid warranty (or insurance as in the case of other), you should be able to claim that privilege...

If the supplier, manufacturer and/or insurance company wants to escape from that responsibility, they can generate a hundred reason to avoid that liability...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 06-14-15 at 10:26 PM.
    06-14-15 08:36 PM
    FWIW, my experience with BlackBerry and warranty issues convinced me that they don't have a hard and fast policy, or at least they have some flexibility according to the particular problem. It may also be that within the company, one hand doesn't know what the other is doing which, given human nature, is most likely the case.

With my original Passport there was a clear cut USB port problem--it was loose--and BlackBerry support said it would be replaced under warranty by Amazon, which it was, but it took some wrangling with the Amazon rep, who thought BlackBerry would do the warranty swap itself. But once the Amazon rep checked with his higher-ups, the replacement was immediate and seamless.

The replacement Passport from Amazon had a different problem, which I've detailed in other threads. The Bluetooth connection wasn't working or holding. BlackBerry support had me submit multiple log files, each time blaming or passing off the BT problem as OS or software related. Only when I wiped the device and used an official OS instead of beta and showed that the BT problem was still there did BlackBerry agree it was a hardware issue and offered to do a warranty replacement. By that time I had already done a warranty replacement through Amazon for the second time, and so had to send the Passport back to Amazon. Whether BlackBerry, when it eventually gets the device back from Amazon, will see the support data and put it all together remains to be seen. I put the incident number on the lock screen for them.

I suspect it all depends on who you get as the BlackBerry tech support person and whether you can convince them that it is a hardware issue. BlackBerry never even asked me for proof that I was the original owner or for proof I had bought it from Amazon.
    06-14-15 10:18 PM

You should be banned.

Posted via CB10
    Obviously you can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, right? Cause if not, you're engaging in slander. Accusing someone of offloading dutty goods without proof is not a good look.

I could just as easily tell you to stop frequenting Hastings and get yourself clean because your inability to think before typing makes me believe you're a fiend. But without proof, it all just talk and insult.

Get your head right before posting dirt like this again...you just embarrassed Van City.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-14-15 10:21 PM
74 123