It's ******* ridiculous that I have to read between the lines of the limited warranty PDF like it's a life insurance policy with exclusions for everything.

So, I purchased an AT&T Passport 2 months ago, brand new, from a seller on eBay, and BlackBerry denied me support. I don't have the original purchase receipt, and it does say in their warranty PDF: "(viii) if YOU are unable to provide proof of purchase evidencing that YOU are the original purchaser of the BlackBerry Device and the date and place of original purchase."

Fine, whatever, learned my lesson. The device was sealed and brand new so I think it's ridiculous. It shouldn't matter that the person who sold the item purchased the phone to resell, IT WAS BRAND ******* NEW. A brand new device should be covered under warranty regardless of who sells the device. So what BlackBerry means is, you must purchase the device brand new but it has to be from a specific vendor. If it's new but resold, it doesn't qualify for warranty. If it's a carrier branded device, you have to purchase it through the carrier to be covered. Brand new, carrier branded device sold elsewhere? Sorry, not covered.

There's nothing in the limited warranty document that lists that the warranty must come from a specific retailer.

I'm looking on Amazon now. If I purchase a new device from a seller that's selling it for cheaper (and without ~$50 tax) but it's fulfilled through Amazon, will I be covered by warranty if this unit fails as well?

Or am I only covered by warranty if I purchase a brand new device DIRECTLY from Amazon or Shop BlackBerry.

What a ******* joke.
    06-12-15 04:54 PM
    Honestly, the only SURE way would be to buy it through ShopBlackBerry, Amazon or carrier because when it comes down to it, it all depends on the person on the other end of the phone who will either let you pass or deny you. Some people don't care so much and will let you slide......... others...... not so much.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-15 05:02 PM
    Honestly, the only SURE way would be to buy it through ShopBlackBerry, Amazon or carrier because when it comes down to it, it all depends on the person on the other end of the phone who will either let you pass or deny you. Some people don't care so much and will let you slide......... others...... not so much.
    Yes, but nnno one should bbe "lettinng me slide." if I purchased a used device, that's onne thing, but this was brannd new. I wrongfully assumed standardd hardware warranty would apply.

Nonetheless, as it stands the warrannty PDF is too vague.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-12-15 08:06 PM
    Well, if you bought it through a reseller on Amazon and it's fulfilled by Amazon, I would think that you would get a *receipt* that has Amazon stamped on it. Also, the manifest would say "new" or at least exclude the words "refurbished". The important thing is that you'd have a receipt.

For the eBay case, how would BlackBerry warranty against eBay sellers who refurb Passports to "like new" and repackage it? Don't you have the eBay receipts and the listing that says new Passport? Normally, when you buy a dud, you would return it to the seller within 30 days. In this case, it sounds like your seller screwed you over and now you're blaming BlackBerry.
    06-12-15 08:29 PM
    For the eBay case, how would BlackBerry warranty against eBay sellers who refurb Passports to "like new" and repackage it? Don't you have the eBay receipts and the listing that says new Passport? Normally, when you buy a dud, you would return it to the seller within 30 days. In this case, it sounds like your seller screwed you over and now you're blaming BlackBerry.
    Yes, I do have the eBay receipt. The Passport was brand spanking new, pristine box with all tamper-proof stickers intact. The seller screwed me over, how exactly? Because a known hardware defect surfaced after 2 months that he somehow knew about by looking through his crystal ball?

Because the seller sold me the device, even though it was brand new, that immediately voided the warranty because I was not the "original" purchaser. ******* stupid, in my opinion. BlackBerry then says AT&T would have to handle the warranty.

But AT&T won't because I'm:

a) not a customer
    b) phone was purchased outright which "cuts all ties between AT&T and the person who bought it," according to AT&T rep. Nonetheless, the AT&T rep himself said BlackBerry should handle it, and was surprised when I said they wouldn't.

Please tell me how this situation isn't ****ed up?
    06-12-15 08:47 PM
    I can see by your attitude that you must have ticked off the person at BlackBerry with the way you come across, I wouldnt have helped you either. Try calling back and speak to someone else and.....be overly polite this time, might work

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    06-12-15 09:17 PM
    I can see by your attitude that you must have ticked off the person at BlackBerry with the way you come across, I wouldnt have helped you either. Try calling back and speak to someone else and.....be overly polite this time, might work

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.798
    I'm just no holds barred on this forum. Inn real life, and especially when dealing with businesses annd companies in situations such as these, I'm definitely polite. I'll be firm with getting my point across, but I'm definitely respectful and never raise my voice or ccause a scene. That would be counter productivve.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-12-15 09:31 PM
    That's odd because any time I went through warranty the only thing they checked was the activation date. I have never needed a receipt....

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 10:43 PM
    I'm thinking about buying a brand new Att version off eBay. I'm debating to buy or not based off your topic. I want to give it a shot but this Insurance stuff sucks if your not on Att.
    06-12-15 10:46 PM
    I'm thinking about buying a brand new Att version off eBay. I'm debating to buy or not based off your topic. I want to give it a shot but this Insurance stuff sucks if your not on Att.
    Your unit might be finne, bbbut I'm gun shy now as this is my first BlackBerry annd not too happy with how the situation has played out.

BlackBizzle my nizzle
    06-12-15 11:24 PM
    Sorry Poi, good to see that you went through the fine print...most people don't bother. Bad to see that clause in there.

Another reason why Apple's after-sales service is so good. Apple, with a simple letter or email, allows the owner of a product (iPhone, MacBook Pro, etc.) to transfer ownership to another individual. After that, the new owner is entitled to warranty coverage and all other protections.

If you bought it with a credit card, does your card issuer offer any kind of purchase protection?

Might be worth looking into.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-13-15 01:41 AM
    Sorry Poi, good to see that you went through the fine print...most people don't bother. Bad to see that clause in there.

Another reason why Apple's after-sales service is so good. Apple, with a simple letter or email, allows the owner of a product (iPhone, MacBook Pro, etc.) to transfer ownership to another individual. After that, the new owner is entitled to warranty coverage and all other protections.

If you bought it with a credit card, does your card issuer offer any kind of purchase protection?

Might be worth looking into.

It was purchased through eBay, so even though eBay 30 day protection is up, I'm covered by PayPal for 180 days. It will be taken care of, it's just been a ******* hassle.

So here's word for word from another BlackBerry Limited Warranty document. There are 2 different ones that I can find.

"...will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end user (“YOU”) and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End User/Software License Agreement (the “License Agreement”) entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies’ (“RIM”) in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the “Warranty Period”). This Limited Warranty is not transferable."

Those 2 parts I've bolded conflict (in my situation) and confuse me. In my situation, I purchased a brand new in box, sealed device. It was new because when I unlocked it through AT&T the IMEI wasn't found in their database; it was never activated. So, in any sane person's eyes, I am the original end user. The guy who sold it to me never used it, so how can he be the original end user? Just because he resold a new device, that doesn't make it used.

Based on that first bolded sentence, I purchased a new BlackBerry device and was the original end user. Warranty should apply. Second bolded sentence should be thrown out at this point, because the previous part before it was true. If BlackBerry's going to try and say that the warranty was transferred, then that assumes the seller was the original end user and the device was used, which I just proved wasn't the case.

It's just semantics at this point, but I really feel like BlackBerry's in the wrong here, and should fix this situation, stand by their devices, follow the warranty document their lawyers wrote, or change the ******* wording.

In all the warranty documents, it does not say warranty only applies to specific merchants, or that BlackBerry will not honor a carrier branded device. But in my case, they pulled out both those cards to deny me.
    06-13-15 02:10 AM
    Yes, I do have the eBay receipt. The Passport was brand spanking new, pristine box with all tamper-proof stickers intact. The seller screwed me over, how exactly? Because a known hardware defect surfaced after 2 months that he somehow knew about by looking through his crystal ball?

Because the seller sold me the device, even though it was brand new, that immediately voided the warranty because I was not the "original" purchaser. ******* stupid, in my opinion. BlackBerry then says AT&T would have to handle the warranty.

But AT&T won't because I'm:

a) not a customer
    b) phone was purchased outright which "cuts all ties between AT&T and the person who bought it," according to AT&T rep. Nonetheless, the AT&T rep himself said BlackBerry should handle it, and was surprised when I said they wouldn't.

Please tell me how this situation isn't ****ed up?
    You're right. The seller didn't screw you over by knowingly selling you a defective unit. Usually, if the seller is a retail outlet, they would be able to accept back the unit and replace or refund, as desired by the customer.

I think the issue here is that the Passport is an AT&T-branded device. I suspect that AT&T has a service contract with BlackBerry whereby if there is something wrong with the Passport, AT&T would be the frontline servicing entity for the warranty period. The customer would bring the device back to AT&T and AT&T would replace the Passport with a refurb or new unit, depending on availability, and send the old unit to BlackBerry for repairs/refurbishment.

This suspicion is based on the "Replace a Broken Phone or Device" video on this page:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=eBCZNyuj

And this text:

"In order to be eligible for a warranty exchange, your defective device:
    - Must be within the warranty coverage period. New devices carry a warranty from the manufacturer of 1 year after purchase date. AT&T Certified Like-New devices carry a warranty of 90 days after purchase date.
    - Can't have any mobile device damage not covered by warranty beyond normal wear and tear."

This is probably why BlackBerry says it's an AT&T issue.

As for dealing with AT&T, they don't have you as the original purchaser/end user. The eBay seller you bought it from is the original purchaser/end user. This would be based on a receipt between the eBay seller and AT&T. You don't have this relationship with AT&T as you can't produce a receipt between you and AT&T. This probably why AT&T says it's not their problem.

I admit, your situation sucks. You're caught in policies that you weren't aware of when you made the purchase and I do agree that BlackBerry should warranty their devices for the warranty period, regardless of where the device was bought, i.e.

1. As soon as a device is purchased, BlackBerry should be notified of who bought it so that they can provide verified purchase warranty. (Of course, this would affect customers who take an upgrade and just sell the device.)
    2. Warranty could be transferred one time within the warranty period. Your eBay seller would then have to transfer this to you.

I hope this enlightens your situation.

Good luck.
    06-13-15 04:28 AM
    It all comes down to who is providing the service/support. I am sure when distributors approach BlackBerry, the wholesale price of the phone depends on who is doing the support, the distributor or BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 07:59 AM
    Just assume it becomes void after the first day and you'll never be disappointed.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 08:02 AM
    Your not the "original end user"
    So the warranty by BlackBerry does not apply to you.

New packaging or not. The original end use is the person that bought it from a licensed seller.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 08:22 AM
    Doesn't matter I am an end user and BlackBerry wouldn't honor their limited warranty. I purchased an AT&T Passport and the screen was lifting. Blackberry claims because I purchased through AT&T I have to go through them, no where in the warranty paperwork does it say that and here in America it is ILLEGAL to require that in a warranty. AT&T outright told me they would accept the screen lifting as a warranty issue so I went to BlackBerry for warranty service, BlackBerry reps told me it was a hardware issue but their agreement with AT&T I had to go through them. AT&T sent me a replacement but now I waiting for the other shoe to drop of them saying it isn't covered which will trigger a $500+ charge that I will fight cause BlackBerry doesn't acknowledge the screen lift as an issue there for AT&T claims it's user damage!!!! Love the phone but this passing the buck is tiresome!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 08:44 AM
    ^wouldn't accept

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 08:45 AM
    Im backing away from this device which sucks...but i refuse to deal with this type of customer service if an issue ever arises. Im reading to many users complain about this screen lifting issue from both unlocked and AT&T versions. I think the scary part is the defect just happens by itself out of the blue. The double typing issue is another scary one that seems to happen out the blue as well. Are Blackberry Classics suffering from these issues?
    06-13-15 09:41 AM
    Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 09:59 AM
    It was purchased through eBay, so even though eBay 30 day protection is up, I'm covered by PayPal for 180 days. It will be taken care of, it's just been a ******* hassle.

So here's word for word from another BlackBerry Limited Warranty document. There are 2 different ones that I can find.

"...will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is the shorter of (i) one (1) year from the date that the new BlackBerry Handheld was first purchased by YOU as an original end user (�YOU�) and (ii) the period ending upon YOUR breach of the BlackBerry End User/Software License Agreement (the �License Agreement�) entered into between YOU and Research In Motion Limited and/OR its affiliated group of companies� (�RIM�) in connection with the BlackBerry Solution (the �Warranty Period�). This Limited Warranty is not transferable."
    When I traded my iPhone 6+ for the Passport I currently own, I was able to draft an email to Apple transferring ownership and warranty to the new owner. And I, like you Poi, was given the shaft. There was no transfer of ownership and warranty given to me. Now you see why. I walked into this with both eyes open though.

I liked the Passport over my iPhone so much I was willing to take the risk. I have many channels through which to search and procure parts that if the Passport started going south, I would just fix it myself.

You didn't ask for the risk or the burn, but unfortunately you're feeling it now.

Blackberry would do a lot of people good by allowing warranties to be transferable. A lot of retailers offer extended warranties and most people avoid them like the plague. One redeeming quality about them though is that they are transferable to the new owner should the original owner choose to sell the product.

Good to hear that PayPal will assist. They've helped me out of problems with large eBay purchases before and have been very helpful.

06-13-15 10:20 AM
    This post clearly demonstrates the industry -wide sleazy practices where nobody is willing to stand behind the product, and the consumer gets screwed. Phone manufacturers don't really care about the end user, they're kissing the carrier and seller ****. Android devices stop getting updates; heck, my old z10 is still only on 10.2 because it's in a database as tmobile tied,even though it's carrier unlocked.
    BlackBerry isn't the only offender, or even the worst. The contract and device bundling is just another sneaky way the multinational companies extract the most money possible from the end user.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    06-13-15 01:35 PM
    Funny that the Original Manufacturer Warranty is not transferable, but the BlackBerry Care Protection Plan says that you can transfer the extended protection to someone else ? One of the main reasons I purchased the Protection Plan was so when I sell my Passport to buy the new Slider, it will increase its resale value as it would still have the insurance plan on the device!

 RED Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2204 on Telus
    Last edited by nward2010; 06-13-15 at 02:33 PM.
    06-13-15 01:58 PM
    I bought the passport on launch day outright and a couple months ago the camera wouldn't focus, so I went back to the carrier I asked for an RMA.

1. I am not a customer of this company, I simply bought the phone from them.
    2. The phone came with one year warranty backed by Telus.

The whole process took a week from being shipped from Vancouver to a repair center in Ontario.
    06-13-15 02:31 PM
    Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this, but would a "lifting" key be covered under the warranty? AFAIK in my case it's not due to damage from use, I just noticed it on my kb one day. I still have ~4 months left on warranty.

 = ♥ | 8220, 8530, 9670, 9810, Q10, Passport
    06-13-15 02:39 PM
74 123