Following all the banter re bb passport and 10.3...increasingly anxious to have a close up look in hand...anyone know for sure when 10.3 will be released in usa and vzw will start carrying it? Love my z30 but...

bbz30 nola usa
    03-14-15 12:09 PM
    The Passport is not coming to Verizon and is not compatible with Verizon. If you want to see it, you'll have to find an AT&T store that has it on display.
    03-14-15 12:28 PM
    It will never come to VZW.

10.3? - no offense, but what planet are you on?

OS 10.3.1 is already out in the US, it comes stock on both the Classic and At&t Passport
    03-14-15 12:28 PM
    Following all the banter re bb passport and 10.3...increasingly anxious to have a close up look in hand...anyone know for sure when 10.3 will be released in usa and vzw will start carrying it? Love my z30 but...

bbz30 nola usa
    Looks like you are not following the right banter. If you where you would have known that the Passport will not be coming to VZW.
    03-14-15 12:30 PM
    Leave verizon if you want one. I was scared to but att service is just as good and also cheaper. Worth the switch for the passport

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 03:29 PM
    Just buy an unlocked from crackberry or directly from blackberry !

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 05:06 PM
    It all comes down to the carrier if they want to support BlackBerry success.
    03-14-15 05:25 PM
    I left verizon been with them for a long time. I bought unlocked and went to t-mobile.... no complaints. Verizon just emailed and offered $200 to come back via Edge.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 06:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    It won't work on Verizon

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    03-14-15 06:54 PM
    They do have the Classic though and it works nice on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 08:22 PM
    AT&T got the exclusive on the passport. I'm guessing 5 years maybe? So you would have to buy an unlocked version if you want it on VZW

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 08:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    AT&T got the exclusive on the passport. I'm guessing 5 years maybe? So you would have to buy an unlocked version if you want it on VZW

Posted via CB10
    Go back and read this thread again.....
    03-14-15 09:07 PM
    It all comes down to the carrier if they want to support BlackBerry success.
    Actually its up to BlackBerry to make a CDMA version if Verizon is ever going to get it. Verizon can't release what BlackBerry hasn't even made.
    03-14-15 09:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Usually the exclusive period if 6 months, at least these days. Maybe a year, but that's a long time.
    03-14-15 09:40 PM
    Can someone with direct knowledge on the matter verify this 'Verizon can't sell what BlackBerry hasn't made' logic? My manufacturing knowledge isn't in the mobile device field, but typically the product is shown to the retailer prior to going into full production. BlackBerry probably didn't make a full run of GSM compatible devices prior to taking it to AT&T. At whatever stage BlackBerry takes a device to carriers looking for a purchase order, are we saying that they either 1) Didn't take it to Verizon or Sprint at all because the radio in it was GSM or 2) Took it to them, they said, 'Absolutely! We'll buy a million!' and then BlackBerry said, 'Ok, but we're only making GSM compatible, so you have to rebuild your entire network?' Both of those sound ludicrous to me, but I don't see any way the 'Verizon can't sell what BlackBerry hasn't made' argument makes sense otherwise.

The idea that Verizon is waiting on BlackBerry to make a CDMA device and BlackBerry is refusing sounds much, much, much, much less likely to me than BlackBerry went to Verizon with the product, Verizon passed, so BlackBerry didn't waste money making a CDMA device.

Much (I left one out)

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 10:35 PM
    Gsm is more of a world wide standard where CDMA is now more of a regional standard.
    03-14-15 10:49 PM
    Probably never and eventually, respectively.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 10:51 PM
    Never.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 11:08 PM
    Can someone with direct knowledge on the matter verify this 'Verizon can't sell what BlackBerry hasn't made' logic? My manufacturing knowledge isn't in the mobile device field, but typically the product is shown to the retailer prior to going into full production. BlackBerry probably didn't make a full run of GSM compatible devices prior to taking it to AT&T. At whatever stage BlackBerry takes a device to carriers looking for a purchase order, are we saying that they either 1) Didn't take it to Verizon or Sprint at all because the radio in it was GSM or 2) Took it to them, they said, 'Absolutely! We'll buy a million!' and then BlackBerry said, 'Ok, but we're only making GSM compatible, so you have to rebuild your entire network?' Both of those sound ludicrous to me, but I don't see any way the 'Verizon can't sell what BlackBerry hasn't made' argument makes sense otherwise.

The idea that Verizon is waiting on BlackBerry to make a CDMA device and BlackBerry is refusing sounds much, much, much, much less likely to me than BlackBerry went to Verizon with the product, Verizon passed, so BlackBerry didn't waste money making a CDMA device.

Much (I left one out)

Posted via CB10
    I once saw somewhere that BlackBerry made a CDMA model for Verizon and then Verizon said that they don't want it or AT&T paid to get it exclusive so they never did mass production

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.1.1448
    03-15-15 12:08 AM

bbz30 nola usa
    Thanks to US carriers who hate BlackBerry

With diplomatic Passport
    03-15-15 12:47 AM
    If Verizon wanted to, all they need to do is pick up that phone and call Mr. Chen and tell him they wanted the new Passport made for their network. Verizon Wireless have about 125 million subscribers, even if 1% of their customers are interested that would be 1.25 million new Passport owners. Verizon is the one with the power card here. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry reps have gone into Verizon to offer the Passport already.

Actually its up to BlackBerry to make a CDMA version if Verizon is ever going to get it. Verizon can't release what BlackBerry hasn't even made.
    03-15-15 05:16 AM
    If Verizon wanted to, all they need to do is pick up that phone and call Mr. Chen and tell him they wanted the new Passport made for their network. Verizon Wireless have about 125 million subscribers, even if 1% of their customers are interested that would be 1.25 million new Passport owners. Verizon is the one with the power card here. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry reps have gone into Verizon to offer the Passport already.
    "Pretty sure"? We don't know who said what. BlackBerry emerged from their corporate reset with a new focus and very limited production runs. BlackBerry could well be waiting to see what kind of reception the Passport got on GSM (the world standard) before committing to expanding production. They did make the Classic in both GSM and CDMA so I tend to believe the decision on Passport was BlackBerry's. Perhaps the commitment necessary from AT&T was small due to their being part of the GSM standard. How big a commitment from Verizon would be needed to get a CDMA variant?

With BlackBerry's 0.4% market share I think you're looking at a much smaller number of potential Verizon users going for Passport. Your (and my) enthusiasm for this model doesn't translate into a large user base no matter how bad we want it.
    03-15-15 09:46 AM
    "Pretty sure"? We don't know who said what. BlackBerry emerged from their corporate reset with a new focus and very limited production runs. BlackBerry could well be waiting to see what kind of reception the Passport got on GSM (the world standard) before committing to expanding production. They did make the Classic in both GSM and CDMA so I tend to believe the decision on Passport was BlackBerry's. Perhaps the commitment necessary from AT&T was small due to their being part of the GSM standard. How big a commitment from Verizon would be needed to get a CDMA variant?

With BlackBerry's 0.4% market share I think you're looking at a much smaller number of potential Verizon users going for Passport. Your (and my) enthusiasm for this model doesn't translate into a large user base no matter how bad we want it.
    I'm not sure why you're questioning someone's "Pretty sure" as it means no less than "could well be," "tend to believe," and "Perhaps."

I don't understand what logic applies to the Passport that doesn't apply to the Classic. And any commitment from AT&T might be taken more seriously if they were out there pushing the device. I've found a promo video, but I've seen absolutely no ads.

And it's not like radios are hard that hard to swap out. The software changes are not that big. Manufacturers do it all of the time for flagship devices all the way down to the cheap devices you can find on all US carriers. 'Cost' is there, but it can't be that big of a factor. So, I still find it hard to believe that BlackBerry didn't think the cost of swapping out radios was worth taking the device to the largest US carrier.. with the larger retail and business subscribers, but they did think the cost of redesigning and re-manufacturing the chassis was worth taking it to the carrier with, according to some reports, 5% less marketshare. I think you're hung up on this radio thing, which isn't a big deal in the first place, and even with it, the logic doesn't make sense.
    03-15-15 02:05 PM