I've been mulling over whether or not to get the Passport. I've read every review and article, watched every video and have even gone into Telus three times to hold one. I have two issues I can't seem to overcome: the three row keyboard and of course the size of the phone.
    Eventually I know I would get use to the keyboard and I generally use my phone with two hands. But every time I have to type with one hand, I can't help but think: "See, you wouldn't be able to do this." So while I'm trying to decide whether I can commit to a couple years of two handed typing, I came to a realization I thought I should share.
    Since the moment smart phones became mainstream, there has been an ongoing problem of people only paying half attention to what they are doing in real life while the other half is used to one handedly use their phone. Which results in at best, being rude and at worst, deaths. The Passport appears to be the type of phone that requires your full attention. Maybe this is the solution to this problem. Maybe if you can't devote two hands to your phone, its not the right time to use it. Just a thought I had, I feel better about it now. I think I'll go pick up my Passport.
    SharonRD, Timbosaurus, VR6 and 1 others like this.
    09-27-14 07:53 PM
    I've been mulling over whether or not to get the Passport. I've read every review and article, watched every video and have even gone into Telus three times to hold one. I have two issues I can't seem to overcome: the three row keyboard and of course the size of the phone.
    Eventually I know I would get use to the keyboard and I generally use my phone with two hands. But every time I have to type with one hand, I can't help but think: "See, you wouldn't be able to do this." So while I'm trying to decide whether I can commit to a couple years of two handed typing, I came to a realization I thought I should share.
    Since the moment smart phones became mainstream, there has been an ongoing problem of people only paying half attention to what they are doing in real life while the other half is used to one handedly use their phone. Which results in at best, being rude and at worst, deaths. The Passport appears to be the type of phone that requires your full attention. Maybe this is the solution to this problem. Maybe if you can't devote two hands to your phone, its not the right time to use it. Just a thought I had, I feel better about it now. I think I'll go pick up my Passport.
    This is, in essence, quite correct. It goes back to doing one thing right vs. doing two things half-arsed, or worse yet, actually causing something bad to happen.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:07 PM
    I've been using my passport for 36 hours now, and have developed a similar sentiment. When it comes to two handed use I love the passport, blows my Q10 out of the water, however I cannot type on it one handed.

I often walk to or from meetings with a coffee in one hand and my BlackBerry in the other. With the Passport I have no problem checking messages, viewing documents, or scrolling web pages one handed while walking but typing just isn't possible for me, at first I convinced myself that this limitation is fine, after all if I get an important message or email I can stop and two handed type a response.

Now however I have decided that the passport is an all or nothing device, I keep it in my pocket while walking around put it in my desk and use BLEND while on my work computer. Ironically my "crackberry" now forces me to unplug a bit more during the day which is kind of nice but at the same time allows me to access the hub from my computer so I can be plugged in more while working without having to use both my phone and computer at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    09-27-14 11:41 PM
    I'm the type of person that has always preferred manual/stick shift cars and driven with two hands on the wheel (except during shifts). Not only does it give you more control, but it also forces you to be more aware and focused. Now that we have blue tooth connectivity in cars, I just leave my BlackBerry in my holster, which then gets blocked by the seat belt buckle. Unless it's a call that's urgent enough to take through the car blue tooth system,... forget about it.

So yeah... you do have a point. If you can't devote a few seconds to type a two-handed response, then maybe it's not the right time.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:08 AM
    I love the screen size in particular with the calendar. I use this on a daily basis and I love the calendar and the agenda and how clearly I can see both at the same time.

I had a Z30 and am used to the two handed typing. A week before the Passport came out I bought a Q10 to see if I could handle a physical keyboard again. I found myself gesturing on the keyboard as if it were a physical keyboard and it frustrated me. I love the keyboard on the Passport due to its size, which I find way easier to type on than the Q10 and maybe a little better than the Z30. As time goes by I will probably enjoy this keyboard more than the Z30 virtual keyboard.

I got my Passport on Thursday but have only been using it for a day now as I had to wait for a nano sim card. I couldn't get over the size right away but now I think it is perfect. I absolutely love this device.

Brought to you by...My sweet Passport
    09-28-14 12:38 AM
    I'm just in love with the browser

What's Good  About The Passport Size-img_20140926_195618.png

Posted from my Canadian Passport
    09-28-14 12:51 AM
    Question for one handed texters who really miss that. Can you text via voice command or that virtual assistant? Speak into your headphones mic if not directly to your phone? Is that a good compromise?
    09-28-14 01:30 AM
    I agree with the OP on no more multitasking, hopefully it saves a few lives.

I was thinking the same thing, just hold down the button between the volume keys and send a text message/email/bbm/etc through Blackberry Assistant, that way not even one hand is needed (well to hold the phone and press the button yes, BUT not for typing =) ).

Posted via an amazing Q10 and CB10!
    09-28-14 01:42 AM
    I think virtual assistant needs a lot of work. I've tried to send a few texts just to test it out. The first sentence was always way off for some reason, but then it was pretty close. I don't see it as reliable right now, and its pretty slow. I miss one handed texting but the trade offs are worth it to me, way better device then my Q10.
    09-28-14 01:44 AM
    What about speed dial keys?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 01:59 AM
    It seems the OP won't be able to text and drive. That's what I get when I read between the lines. Get a passport. Save a life. Also, doesn't Telus have something in place like if you aren't happy with your purchase within 30 days, you can return it? Might be worth checking into. I remember offering that at some point.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    09-28-14 02:03 AM
    Unique perspective but ppl will see this as a limitation rather than a shift in thinking about productivity and safety. This is where the swipe up keyboard feature might be able to save you.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 02:38 AM
    What about speed dial keys?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, we got those back.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    09-28-14 02:49 AM
    Good read and after a day and a half with the passport, I find myself loving the device. I honestly thought I would never go back to a physical keyboard, but now I getting used to using one again. I find myself being more accurate when typing even though I am a little slower when using my z30.

As far as multitasking goes, I don't text or message when walking or driving. I see folks driving and/or crossing main streets texting or looking at their Facebook post instead of paying attention to where or what they are doing. No Facebook posting, message or email is worth getting your dumb *** run over or killed!!

Sent from my awesome passport on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-28-14 04:16 AM