I was out with my son today and we happened to stop into a Best Buy store. When I was looking around I walked through the cell phone section and there it was..... an angelic "aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" went through my head as I spotted a new Passport. This is the first time seeing the phone in person. My first though was Wow...this is really nice, my second thought after picking it up was "what is all the fuss about! This is small". I'm not just cracking off a sarcastic comment to get a response. I was actually a little disappointed. With all the hype and fuss about how big this phone is and "why would anyone want something so big" comments, I was expecting something BIG, like Galaxy Note height but not so, if anything they could have stretched it a bit to make the keys a little taller so it would be easier to type. Being 6'4 and 230lbs the phone does look a bit small in the hand. I was looking forward to getting one (when they're not actually all sold out) but now I'm thinking twice about it. Here's hoping the next rev of this phone gets bigger!
    Last edited by 1fryman; 10-11-14 at 02:35 PM.
    anon(870071) likes this.
    10-08-14 11:46 PM
    When did best buy start selling passports?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:49 PM
    Every time someone sees my Passport I get called out on how big it is. I love the thing so you're right when you say angelic.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 12:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Think he is referring to best buy in Canada ..
    10-09-14 12:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Best Buy store nearest me (Ajax, ON) had Passports on Telus available on the day they were announced

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 12:35 AM
    "Big" is relative.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    10-09-14 12:38 AM
    By big they mean wide, makes it seem bigger then it is.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 12:39 AM
    FYI, most Futureshop and Bestbuy have plenty of Passports in stock. Also I believe both retailers allows you to buy out full price without signing a plan or contract.
    10-09-14 01:52 AM
    All the Bestbuys and FS's wouldn't let me buy off contract for a Telus one. I tried all the ones in my area.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 02:09 AM
    Hmm, I would ask to talk to the manager and ask him the reason and policy behind it.
    10-09-14 02:33 AM
    All the Bestbuys and FS's wouldn't let me buy off contract for a Telus one. I tried all the ones in my area.

I tried the same thing with those stores as well, as I did Telus. I was told they don't sell them unlocked for at least the 1st week after release. One thing about Telus stores though, they were going to try and charge me between $100 and $150 more to buy it unlocked for some reason. However I did find a Telus store yesterday that did sell me one off contract for the regular price. So I now have a unlocked Passport and am very happy with it.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by marzfreerider; 10-09-14 at 04:51 AM.
    10-09-14 04:36 AM
    I .... I was expecting something BIG, like Galaxy Note height but not so, if anything they could have stretched it a bit to make the keys a little taller so it would be easier type...
    You get really used to the keyboard after a day or so, but I agree. The phone is not big. Once you are used to it for a few days you will see if fits in your shirt pocket, jacket pocket, pants pocket. Very easy to read emails. The phone quality is excellent. It is a very good business phone, no doubt.
    10-09-14 05:12 AM
    FYI, most Futureshop and Bestbuy have plenty of Passports in stock. Also I believe both retailers allows you to buy out full price without signing a plan or contract.
    Was in Winnipeg Best Buy on Regent on Sat Oct 4th to go see one up close (ordered mine with coupon night before at ShopBB)

At that time they would sell one $750.00 off contract so you could go month to month with them and they refused to unlock it.

The Unit on display was some kinda of demo thing. No working software on it and could not power it up. Just a dead demo unit.

Things may have changed since Saturday, but that is my experience.
    10-09-14 07:52 AM
    Add taxes to that $750.00 @ Best Buy
    10-09-14 07:53 AM
    I think that's the first time I've heard of someone rejecting the Passport because it's too small

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-09-14 08:52 AM
    He didn't say he didn't like it. He just said it is smaller than he thought with all the fuss about the huge size.
    10-09-14 09:06 AM
    I got mine at BestBuy in Ottawa. Lucky I got the last one in stock. I bought it on contract with Telus (boo!) but I had the option of buying it outright. It is on sale right now for $199 on a 2 year contract. How could I say no?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:14 AM
    Remember folks today is the last day at future shop canada selling the telus passport for 199.99$ so make you price match.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.738
    10-09-14 10:21 AM
    Canadas cellphone freedom act:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_...t_(Bill_C-343)
    "
    wireless phone companies must unlock handsets upon request, free of charge, when a consumer purchases a new phone outright (unsubsidized) without a contract;"

Flicked out via Zed30
    10-09-14 11:15 AM
    Canadas cellphone freedom act:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_...t_(Bill_C-343)
    "
    wireless phone companies must unlock handsets upon request, free of charge, when a consumer purchases a new phone outright (unsubsidized) without a contract;"

Flicked out via Zed30
    The law does not mandate that the unlock must be free. It only mandates that the unlock must be allowed.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 11:59 AM
    I was out with my son today and we happened to stop into a Best Buy store. When I was looking around I walked through the cell phone section and there it was..... an angelic "aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" went through my head as I spotted a new Passport. This is the first time seeing the phone in person. My first though was Wow...this is really nice, my second thought after picking it up was "what is all the fuss about! This is small". I'm not just cracking off a sarcastic comment to get a response. I was actually a little disappointed. With all the hype and fuss about how big this phone is and "why would anyone want something so big" comments, I was expecting something BIG, like Galaxy Note height but not so, if anything they could have stretched it a bit to make the keys a little taller so it would be easier type. Being 6'4 and 230lbs the phone does look a bit small in the hand. I was looking forward to getting one (when they're not actually all sold out) but now I'm thinking twice about it. Here's hoping the next rev of this phone gets bigger!
    You know the camera adds inches they say lol
    10-09-14 01:04 PM