09-26-15 01:37 PM
221 ... 6789
tools
    I've had this issue twice with the Passport... bottom right hand corner of the glass just above the keyboard. I called BlackBerry after the 2nd time, and they told me they've never heard of this before. If you're reading this and having this issue, please contact BlackBerry and complain. The more they hear about it, the better chance they can find a fix.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 03:22 PM
    After two months my screen is lifting off too. Any fix advice

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    02-20-15 09:06 PM
    Somebody had suggested placing the phone face down on a flat surface, and you can see which corner moves. I tried this and then gently twisted the frame on the side that was not aligned and the screen is sitting back in properly now.

This seems to be the most practical solution now considering BlackBerry will need 2 weeks to check the phone if you sent it in for repairs.

The theory of the frame being weak and therefore twisting along the vertical axis seems to be the most plausible one.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 10:10 PM
    No its just the adhesive letting go.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 11:13 PM
    Hate to say, but I noticed my screen lifting the other day, I bought the phone whilst on a business trip in Singapore as they were not for sale in Australia, when I phoned the store up to discuss the issue they did not want to know and basically told me to go to one of those repair kiosks to get it fixed, the phone is only one month old. I'm not a happy person at the moment as like everyone else, the Passport is simply an awesome phone. And before you all say "he's mistreated the phone!", I can assure you, the phone has never been in my pocket and it looks as new now as the day I bought it.
    #Gutted and disappointed.
    03-13-15 08:02 PM
    Hope Kreskin chimes in to assist with this question
    03-13-15 09:34 PM
    3 week old passport, got for my birthday. Notice 3 days ago, right bottom corner screen lift as well. Going back to BlackBerry service to get it done. 2 weeks they say.. going back to my Q10 for a bit. Was upset. Guess am not alone. But it sure is weird going back to Q10, haha.. feels small.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 07:35 PM
    Well it happened to me now.

Bottom right of the screen is starting to lift.

Still not horrible, but noticeable.

I emailed Blackberry, hopefully they will just send a replacement. Although if they repair it properly, I wouldn't mind.

Attachment 322138

Passport on Wind
    same as mine.
    What would cause the screen on Blackberry Passport to "lift"?-20150410_105516.jpg
    04-09-15 11:02 PM
    I had same problem with mine only 6 weeks old, they said it was common problem with Passports and they gave me a brand new handset instead of repairing it. It looked like the screen wasn't glued on properly!

Posted via CB10
    04-10-15 08:41 AM
    My Passport screen started to lift in the right corner, very similar to what a lot of others are describing here. It is only about 3 months old and in mint condition, original plastic still on the screen. I took it back to the store I bought it at (SaskTel, regional Canadian provider) and they are sending it back to BlackBerry however she warned me that BlackBerry will determine if it is as a result of a manufacturing defect or "customer abuse" and that most cases like this are considered "customer abuse" but didn't know specifically if there were issues with this specific phone.

Has anyone heard of the warranty not being honoured in cases of the screen lifting? I will be extremely disappointed if that is the case here. I've stuck by BlackBerry for some time and have been very impressed with the BB10 devices despite the slow rollout of key features but I told myself that if the Passport didn't impress me, I'd have to "see other phones".
    04-28-15 02:52 PM
    Lifting screen I feel is quite prevalent. Sent mine back to Toronto from NYC. Repair supposed to take 7 to 10 business days. Don't believe that! Mine took 17 business days and I think they ended up sending me a new unit.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-15 10:24 AM
    I have same issue but on the lower right corner ot the phone .
    My phone has three months and was never putted in my pocket.
    I'm trying to send it back to blackberry
    06-13-15 07:45 PM
    If the frame bended then something clearly was done by the user. A steel frame cannot bend by itself, who are you guys even trying to fool??
    06-14-15 06:28 AM
    I have the AT&T variant of the Passport and had to have mine replaced via warranty due to major screen lifting and frame bending. The replacement I received had the exact same issues and I sent that one back as well. Just got the second replacement and the screen is lifting on that one as well. It has slight bending of the frame but not near as bad as the others.

I just lay mine face down on a flat surface and press on the corners. It's pretty easy to see if it's got bending issues or not.

As far as the screen goes, there's a plastic rim running around the edge of the screen on the AT&T version and most of the screen is attached to the device so when looking across the screen, you can see the rim but on one side, the screen has lifted up to where the rim is no longer visible. You can physically press the screen down and then it comes right back up after about 30 seconds.

I'll be contacting AT&T tomorrow to discuss my options.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 08:48 AM
    What they told me on the phone was it would take 2-3 business days from when they receive it. I guess we'll see. I have my Z10 to keep me up and running till this gets straightened out.
    I'm sitting on the phone with BlackBerry.. will have to use my old z10 for a little while hope I don't miss my pp too much!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 11:39 AM
    I've had blackberry do TWO replacements for screen lifting issue. You just can't carry it in back pocket because sitting down will distort screen. In warm weather I wear cargo shorts and the Blackberry Passport goes in front bottom pocket-no problems so far!!! In cool weather it goes in zip up pocket on my thermal vest or coat.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 12:47 PM
    "I've had blackberry do TWO replacements for screen lifting issue. You just can't carry it in back pocket because sitting down will distort screen. "

This is what I mean, because you sat on it twice blackberry had to replace 2 phones right?
    Why anyone would sit on their phone and expect nothing to happen goes beyond me
    06-14-15 12:59 PM
    Bad construction

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 01:38 PM
    Hi,
    I had the screen lifting problem. I called BlackBerry and they have arranged for a new one to be sent out. I'm sure if you call them and explain it's a common fault they will do the same for you. Go through to the technical team. Hope that helps.
    06-17-15 10:59 AM
    Poor build, they should have used screw instead of glue. Guess they were saving money and not reputation.
    06-17-15 11:01 AM
    Was following a screen lifting problem on a local forum this morning and I realized that it could be the heat and thermal expansion which cause this screen lifting problem and twisting/bending of the frame.
    The Passport is hot when running and hot on the right side toward the upper corner. Thus the right-side metal frame is quite hot and hotter that the left-side frame, which means that the right frame would normally expand more and become longer than the left frame. But the two side frames are connected and kept in place by the top bar and the mainboard and keyboard and so on. Thus when the right frame heats up and gets longer, in order for it to stay at the same distance from the left frame, it has to twist or bend. Repeated twisting would weaken the material and eventually it will give away and bend at the twisting point.
    The same difference in thermal expansion would cause the screen to come off whatever holding it underneath. The layer underneath is closer to the heat source and is hotter than the top screen, while the top screen can release heat into the air and stay cooler. The two layers expanding at different degree would slide on top of one another until the glue (if there is any glue) gives away. The glue should have acted as a insulation layer buffering out the difference in expansion, but bad quality or 3M double side tape obviously does not do the job.
    This would explain why all screen lifting cases happen on the right side and the few bend frames are on the right frame as well. This would also explain the few cases where the owner reported keeping the Passport in the breast pocket or loose trousers and still got this lifting/bending problem. It doesn't need a mechanical force but just the heat from using the phone. The more it is used, the higher the risk. Apps which cause more heat are more dangerous than the others.
    That's my hypothesis and if it is true, all Passports are at risk.
    BruceFlea478 and dusanvn like this.
    06-17-15 01:02 PM
    Holy crap!! After seeing this I decided to look at mine.. On right you can see EDGE on left you can see the edge is missing.. This is not good. Mine is only a couple of months old. Pic was taken with my Q10 LOLWhat would cause the screen on Blackberry Passport to "lift"?-img_20150617_144638.jpg
    06-17-15 02:51 PM
    Was following a screen lifting problem on a local forum this morning and I realized that it could be the heat and thermal expansion which cause this screen lifting problem and twisting/bending of the frame.
    The Passport is hot when running and hot on the right side toward the upper corner. Thus the right-side metal frame is quite hot and hotter that the left-side frame, which means that the right frame would normally expand more and become longer than the left frame. But the two side frames are connected and kept in place by the top bar and the mainboard and keyboard and so on. Thus when the right frame heats up and gets longer, in order for it to stay at the same distance from the left frame, it has to twist or bend. Repeated twisting would weaken the material and eventually it will give away and bend at the twisting point.
    The same difference in thermal expansion would cause the screen to come off whatever holding it underneath. The layer underneath is closer to the heat source and is hotter than the top screen, while the top screen can release heat into the air and stay cooler. The two layers expanding at different degree would slide on top of one another until the glue (if there is any glue) gives away. The glue should have acted as a insulation layer buffering out the difference in expansion, but bad quality or 3M double side tape obviously does not do the job.
    This would explain why all screen lifting cases happen on the right side and the few bend frames are on the right frame as well. This would also explain the few cases where the owner reported keeping the Passport in the breast pocket or loose trousers and still got this lifting/bending problem. It doesn't need a mechanical force but just the heat from using the phone. The more it is used, the higher the risk. Apps which cause more heat are more dangerous than the others.
    That's my hypothesis and if it is true, all Passports are at risk.
    I left my Passport accidentally in my service van today. Was in my vehicle for at least three hours. It was when I needed to make a call I ran like he'll outside to fetch it. The temperature in the van was extremely high and the phone felt like a hot coal. Yet here I am still typing on mine and not an inch of screen has been raised nor a inch of frame bent or twisted.

My van's internal temperature was 80 celsius, enough to cause heatstroke and kill someone. Yet the phone still works. Nobody's Passport puts out that much heat, it it did there would be widescale reports of physical injuries and burns.

Substandard or even faulty adhesive, I can agree with, the ambient heat produced by the phone's processor is not enough to separate a phone with the proper adhesives installed.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    06-18-15 12:03 AM
    The best test to determine if your Passport is having 'screen lifting' issue is to use it in a dark room and see if there are bleeding lights coming out from the sides of your screen...

Posted via CB10
    06-18-15 01:02 AM
    I left my Passport accidentally in my service van today. Was in my vehicle for at least three hours. It was when I needed to make a call I ran like he'll outside to fetch it. The temperature in the van was extremely high and the phone felt like a hot coal. Yet here I am still typing on mine and not an inch of screen has been raised nor a inch of frame bent or twisted.

My van's internal temperature was 80 celsius, enough to cause heatstroke and kill someone. Yet the phone still works. Nobody's Passport puts out that much heat, it it did there would be widescale reports of physical injuries and burns.

Substandard or even faulty adhesive, I can agree with, the ambient heat produced by the phone's processor is not enough to separate a phone with the proper adhesives installed.

-- Passport, Virgin Mobile (Toronto)
    It's a hypothesis only.
    However in your case, your phone in the van was heated up all around at the same time, slowly and gradually. That means that all the parts of the phone were heated up to the same temperature at more or less the same time so they would expand together to about the same magnitude more or less.
    What I mentioned earlier was when there was difference in thermal exposure leading to frame on one side expanded more and became longer than the frame on the other side which then led to eventual consequence. The Passport would get significantly hotter on the right side than the left. It would not happen overnight or after one or two long phone calls, but only after sometime and after certain level of heat exposure until the metal and/or the glue give away.
    dusanvn likes this.
    06-18-15 01:08 AM
221 ... 6789