I have had a look at this problem.

Clearly, the adhesive used is commonly not up to the job.

I noticed the stainless steel frame had a slight curve, I'm talking very slight on both left and right sides.

Using great care and strength I straightened the chassis. This helped and solved the problem by about 50%. The screen was hardly sticking up, but was not fully cemented to the phone.

I let the battery run flat, pinned the loose section of the screen to the phone using two strong clothes pegs and put on charge overnight.

In the morning, the heat and pressure had successfully bonded the screen tightly and securely to the phone.

Is perfect now!

I will let you know if this works in the long term.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    12-29-14 02:26 PM
    I have had a look at this problem.

Clearly, the adhesive used is commonly not up to the job.

I noticed the stainless steel frame had a slight curve, I'm talking very slight on both left and right sides.

Using great care and strength I straightened the chassis. This helped and solved the problem by about 50%. The screen was hardly sticking up, but was not fully cemented to the phone.

I let the battery run flat, pinned the loose section of the screen to the phone using two strong clothes pegs and put on charge overnight.

In the morning, the heat and pressure had successfully bonded the screen tightly and securely to the phone.

Is perfect now!

I will let you know if this works in the long term.

Cheers,

Chris.

Posted via CB10
    How badly was it lifting?

I find it hard to really check and get the frame straight. What did you use to check the straightness?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:48 PM
    It had only lifted a couple of mm.

To check the straightness I simply looked along the edge using one eye - like one does when seeing if a ball is playable in snooker or pool.

I must say, it took a lot of care and strength to bend the frame section by section without applying too much pressure to the glass.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 03:59 PM
    After seeing several of this lifting problem from this forum, I can say that this is not just the adhesive problem, though I am working for the competitor of 3M tapes.

This is a design fault, the middle frame is stainless steel and passport is just too big to not get curved in daily use, which means the stainless steel is causing more stress than normal plastic frame because it do not recover from any deformation. In such case, the lifting is inevitable unless thermosetting glue is used.

The best solution is to get the device flat by gentle bending back and apply heat and pressure on the adhesive area for a while, be careful to keep the pressure after the heating is finished and comes back to normal temperature, just like what you did by charging, smart way!

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:05 PM
    It had only lifted a couple of mm.

To check the straightness I simply looked along the edge using one eye - like one does when seeing if a ball is playable in snooker or pool.

I must say, it took a lot of care and strength to bend the frame section by section without applying too much pressure to the glass.

Posted via CB10
    Would it help to strip the phone apart and straighten the frame that way?

Also wondering if 'loosening' the screws slightly would help allow the unit to flex a little without bending.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:13 PM
    Update on mine: I called ShopBlackberry on Thursday, December 18th and informed them of my screen lifting issue. After explaining the issue I was issued a RMA number and their RMA Department sent me return packaging and a prepaid address label. I received the RMA package on Saturday the 20th and shipped by my passport on Monday the 22nd. It was received today and I hope to hear back from them by the end of the week. I was told it could take a few business days and with Christmas this week who knows.

Overall though I've been pretty happy with how fast it's progressed. My only real fear is if they try to tell me it's NOT a manufacturer's defect and I'm responsible. Has anyone else run into that problem?

Hope to have my passport back soon. Full timing it on the Z10 until then...
    So I finally got my passport back today. Blackberry repaired my original device (same SN, pin). Took a little over two weeks (granted there was Christmas and New Years over those weeks) from the time I sent it in to the time I received it. The screen is plush back on and all looks well...but I think I'm going to buy a hard case just to be safe! Was an inconvenience, but I'm glad that it was rectified.
    01-07-15 01:40 PM
    So I finally got my passport back today. Blackberry repaired my original device (same SN, pin). Took a little over two weeks (granted there was Christmas and New Years over those weeks) from the time I sent it in to the time I received it. The screen is plush back on and all looks well...but I think I'm going to buy a hard case just to be safe! Was an inconvenience, but I'm glad that it was rectified.
    Interesting that they fixed yours, but replaced mine... this is a really curious thing going on here with the screen lift. I wonder if the new Passport design for att was to address it...

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    01-07-15 01:52 PM
    Someone repaired it. It would be interesting to know who just for the information. It isn't a foregone conclusion that it was BlackBerry proper. And I'm not saying good or bad either way.

Anyway, thanks for posting the update. I'm pleased to hear you got it fixed.
    01-07-15 02:09 PM
    I wonder if this problem occurred in early builds. Mine was built mid-November and is perfect so far.
    01-08-15 11:12 PM
    Alright, just updating people. I got mine back today, setting it up right now.

It was a repair, not a replacement.

However they also fixed the back, which had some issues, but not the reason I sent it in.

Overall, shipped out Monday and got it back today.

Very happy.

So consider mine a success story, hopefully other people have as much luck as me.

Passport on Wind
    01-09-15 01:23 PM
    Looking at this thread and a bit scared now. Bought mine off Amazon marketplace and it was made in Mexico late October...haven't experienced the issues yet, but hopefully it won't happen. How long does it normally take for the "lift" to happen?
    02-11-15 02:16 AM
    I was able to exchange mine because the original had a slightly loose 'P' key. So I am pretty sure you can exchange your device because any part of a screen separating from the device should be considered a pretty big defect.

Every manufacturer of every type of modern day gadgetry are going to experience hardware glitches, especially when a design is so completely new like the Passport. Nothing is ever 100% perfect.

BlackBerry makes the best devices on the planet in my opinion, but they're unfortunately not always going to be perfect. Exchange it. Anybody helping you should be able to clearly notice how it should be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 02:52 AM
    Looking at this thread and a bit scared now. Bought mine off Amazon marketplace and it was made in Mexico late October...haven't experienced the issues yet, but hopefully it won't happen. How long does it normally take for the "lift" to happen?
    Try not to worry about it. It most likely won't be a problem for you. Just use your device and you may never even have an issue, barring any unfortunate accidents that are out of your control. Personally, I go out of my way to protect and take care of my devices, they only experience being 'worn in'. For example, I would never keep my Passport in my pants pockets, even though I wear baggier pants, still never. So, I would especially recommend a person wearing today's wacktastic 'skinny jeans', keep the Passport out of those tiny dayumn pockets. Seriously...

Also, from what I have been reading, Amazon is being pretty cool about any exchanges. I think they're 30 days.

My retailer has only a 2 week window for stuff like that. Out of all my BlackBerry 10's, I have only had one exchange, the Passport had a loose 'P' key, but this one I have now is solid.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 02:58 AM
    You're probably safe with a build date in late October.
    02-11-15 10:17 AM
    I believe the adhesive used is in some cases not strong enough to ensure a proper bond. Mine did not lift up but I could see it was slightly higher on the top right where it tends to get the hottest.

I ran the battery down, put it on charge whilst installing a load of apps and updates etc to get the phone as hot as possible. During this time I attached a strong clothes clip to each corner of the screen to push it into place and ensure it was sealed.

It was hot for a couple of hours and I let it cool down with the pegs still in place.

I used the pegs every time I charged it for about a month. Now it appears that the adhesive has cured properly and I no longer need to use pegs, the screen is well and truly fixed in place.

If memory serves, mine was made in november or December.

Clearly, one should not have to do this and BlackBerry are at fault, but that said, mine is fine now.

Perhaps BlackBerry should supply four clothes pegs with the phone as standard equipment.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    02-11-15 01:02 PM
    I believe the adhesive used is in some cases not strong enough to ensure a proper bond. Mine did not lift up but I could see it was slightly higher on the top right where it tends to get the hottest.

I ran the battery down, put it on charge whilst installing a load of apps and updates etc to get the phone as hot as possible. During this time I attached a strong clothes clip to each corner of the screen to push it into place and ensure it was sealed.

It was hot for a couple of hours and I let it cool down with the pegs still in place.

I used the pegs every time I charged it for about a month. Now it appears that the adhesive has cured properly and I no longer need to use pegs, the screen is well and truly fixed in place.

If memory serves, mine was made in november or December.

Clearly, one should not have to do this and BlackBerry are at fault, but that said, mine is fine now.

Perhaps BlackBerry should supply four clothes pegs with the phone as standard equipment.

Posted via CB10
    Could you please check the build date on the side of your box? Thanks.
    02-11-15 01:37 PM
    081214 Mexico 6, which I assume, if they are using the proper and logical dating system is the 8th of December 2014 - since I bought it Christmas Eve.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-15 03:25 PM
    I think this is a good idea, to list where made and where purchased from. IMHO
    02-11-15 06:52 PM
    081214 Mexico 6, which I assume, if they are using the proper and logical dating system is the 8th of December 2014 - since I bought it Christmas Eve.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that's the correct date. That's the latest date I've read with a screen issue. I was hoping mine built on Dec 2 was bullet proof.
    02-11-15 08:43 PM
    My screen lifted. After a long battle with Rogers regarding the replacement of the device (less than a month old), I received a new one. I've yet to have any issues with the new one.

Posted via CB10 with my Passport
    02-15-15 10:24 PM
    I think putting it in a back pocket is one way! And also twisting the device will cause warpage from the centre and can't be fixed!

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:38 PM
    Getting my passport replaced now because of the screen issue. It was an easy process with no hickups yet. The only downside is the whole back-up/reinstallation process. Not looking forward to that.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 08:33 PM
    "What would cause the screen on Blackberry Passport to "lift"?"
    I dunno, maybe David Blaine street magic?!?

Posted via CB10 from my "phdesktop", the BlackBerry Passport
    02-16-15 08:53 PM
    I bought a red passport over a month ago and the screen started lifting. Amazon says I can't returned because the window of returns already expired. What do I do?
    02-19-15 10:02 AM
    I bought a red passport over a month ago and the screen started lifting. Amazon says I can't returned because the window of returns already expired. What do I do?
    Try to get Amazon to replace it under warranty.
    02-19-15 02:41 PM
221 ... 56789