@BCGrog - if you dig up my original "Passport screen is splitting" thread, you can find a full explanation as to why the phone bends the way you described. I wouldn't call it a design flaw. It is a weakness though. My phone exhibited the same "bending" that you describe. Even when I repaired the screen the first time, it popped out again. At that time I tested the "flatness" and noticed that the phone is bent along the diagonal.

Be aware that the thread I'm pointing you to will have a lot of nasty trolling comments directed at me and others that supported and sympathized with my cause. It's not a pretty read but you will find a lot of useful info there on this issue as well as detailed pictures of the disassembled phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:37 PM
    There is a thread on this, and it happened to me (bottom right). I sent it in through my carrier under warranty for a repair, and they didn't even bother to repair it; BlackBerry just sent me a new one. Seems it's a manufacturer defect.

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    12-19-14 01:07 AM
    I think part of the problem as mentioned here is the phone is large and susceptible to slight bends thru handling which is enough to cause the glass to lift.

I can see it on my unit albeit barely.

Here is a test for everyone.

Just put your passport on a flat surface back down and see if it lays flat on the table. I'm willing to bet a large number won't. Especially if you stick it in your pant pockets.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 06:46 PM
    Well it happened to me now.

Bottom right of the screen is starting to lift.

Still not horrible, but noticeable.

I emailed Blackberry, hopefully they will just send a replacement. Although if they repair it properly, I wouldn't mind.

What would cause the screen on Blackberry Passport to "lift"?-passportscreenlift.png

Passport on Wind
    12-20-14 07:43 PM
    Maybe it's the camera angle, but that phone looks slightly bent/twisted.
    12-20-14 09:52 PM
    I really only plug it in at night for bed and the occasional laptop for BlackBerry Link.
    That is regular use, simply a defective screen from factory.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-20-14 10:04 PM
    Well it happened to me now.

Bottom right of the screen is starting to lift.

Still not horrible, but noticeable.

I emailed Blackberry, hopefully they will just send a replacement. Although if they repair it properly, I wouldn't mind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Passportscreenlift.png 
Views:	1802 
Size:	545.7 KB 
ID:	322138

Passport on Wind
    Hmm that phone looks twisted from that pov, I assume it is just the angle?!

Hopefully you get some good news.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-20-14 10:07 PM
    Hmm that phone looks twisted from that pov, I assume it is just the angle?!

Hopefully you get some good news.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    It is the angle of the picture. It's very hard to get a good picture of the slight raise.

I've checked and the passport is nice and flat, no bends.

It's just the screen lifting up.

It's actually the entire left side, but more noticeable on the bottom left.

Passport on Wind
    RDZONE99 likes this.
    12-20-14 10:11 PM
    It is the angle of the picture. It's very hard to get a good picture of the slight raise.

I've checked and the passport is nice and flat, no bends.

It's just the screen lifting up.

It's actually the entire left side, but more noticeable on the bottom left.

Passport on Wind
    How do you check to see if the passport is flat? I'm finding there is a slight wobble in mine that is attributed to the camera housing.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 10:46 PM
    @John - are you sure that's just optics? The phone definitely looks twisted. When you lay the screen flat and push on individual corners of the device, does it move at all?

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 11:18 PM
    How do you check to see if the passport is flat? I'm finding there is a slight wobble in mine that is attributed to the camera housing.

Posted via CB10
    Well, you CAN lay it on a flat surface and use a level.

But it would be hard to confirm, since the back does indeed have the "hump" for the camera, and the sides are rounded and not flat.

Screen down would probably be the best way to try to confirm.

I've been looking at the sides and they seem flat. I don't put too much force on it anyway.

Upon closer inspection I've actually noticed it seems to be the area around there, the keyboard on the right side seems to be also coming up a bit and the back also has a bit of a bulge, very slight.

I'm a bit worried that is the place where the battery goes and it's failing. I sleep with this thing on my nightstand.

Passport on Wind
    12-20-14 11:21 PM
    The battery is completely physically separated from the screen/keyboard. Even if the battery was bulging, it would only have an effect on the back cover, not the screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 01:22 AM
    What would cause the screen on Blackberry Passport to "lift"?-here-lift.jpg
    What would cause the screen on Blackberry Passport to "lift"?-1418430484339.jpg

This is what mine looked like. You can see the light coming through the crack. Sent it in through Telus, they shipped me a new one

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    12-21-14 02:26 AM
    I checked my passport again and indeed, as many have already commented here, the phone was slightly bent diagonally downwards at the bottom left corner resulting my screen lifting upwards.

Twisted it slightly and applied 3M glue and it has been good so far. I am now more conscious of not sitting down with the phone in my back pocket.

Posted via CB10
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    12-23-14 05:57 AM
    It happened to me also couple days ago. Bottom right starting to lift right above the @123 keypad. I noticed the lift after I accidentally dropped the pp....so my theory is that the screen got shifted due to the force it absorbed from to top left corner. I dropped it on the carpet with no bumper cover btw.

Called amazon...where I got mine...they sent me replacement in 2 days. Great service.

Although I hope my theory is right...I too want to know if this is actually would happen again...

Posted via CB10
    prince_1308 likes this.
    12-23-14 09:50 AM
    The instances of this seem to be increasing. Could the phones be twisting, with no user input, under internal tensions?

Z30 STA 100-2
    12-23-14 10:27 AM
    I think this may be partially caused by holding opposite corners while typing. Especially likely if you are using the phone in bed.

The diagonal pressure may be bending the phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 10:47 AM
    I said nicely that many will experience this problem over time. The phone is so, so easy to bend in a corkscrew motion. Any pants/jeans pocket will do that over time. Short of keeping the phone in your suit jacket or some sort of bag, you can't really protect it from bending. Having a rigid case on it also helps.

Edit: good point above about the typing. It too could cause this over time depending on how one holds the device.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 10:48 AM
    That would be a great theory. Except my phone is not bent or twisted.

I checked to make sure, because it could easily be, but it's not.

My screen is just lifting on its own.

Passport on Wind
    12-23-14 11:53 AM
    This is clearly a manufacturer defect. Something that I suspected, but had reaffirmed when I sent mine into be repaired, they just shipped me a new one. That's usually what happens when it is recognized that the device has a build-quality issue.

I work for Telus, and that's how things work here: you break it, we repair it. It's just screwed up, you get a new one.

kawikaratekid likes this.
    12-23-14 11:55 AM
    I think it was more or less obvious that there was some sort of manufacturing defect when more than one device popped up with this issue so close to the release and in all cases without any notable or actual physical strain on the device. Those that are still in denial will argue until they are blue in the face, however, no amount of arguing will change the truth. Newer devices seem better, if only because they tightened the tolerances around gaps between frame and screen, giving the adhesive more surface area to adhere to compared to the early devices. Some early devices had serious gaps between the screen and the frame the screen sits in. My Passport that ended up with a screen that split had approximately a 0.75mm gap between the top keyboard fret and the screen itself.
    12-23-14 12:37 PM
    Update on mine: I called ShopBlackberry on Thursday, December 18th and informed them of my screen lifting issue. After explaining the issue I was issued a RMA number and their RMA Department sent me return packaging and a prepaid address label. I received the RMA package on Saturday the 20th and shipped by my passport on Monday the 22nd. It was received today and I hope to hear back from them by the end of the week. I was told it could take a few business days and with Christmas this week who knows.

Overall though I've been pretty happy with how fast it's progressed. My only real fear is if they try to tell me it's NOT a manufacturer's defect and I'm responsible. Has anyone else run into that problem?

Hope to have my passport back soon. Full timing it on the Z10 until then...
    12-23-14 07:16 PM
    Update on mine: I called ShopBlackberry on Thursday, December 18th and informed them of my screen lifting issue. After explaining the issue I was issued a RMA number and their RMA Department sent me return packaging and a prepaid address label. I received the RMA package on Saturday the 20th and shipped by my passport on Monday the 22nd. It was received today and I hope to hear back from them by the end of the week. I was told it could take a few business days and with Christmas this week who knows.

Overall though I've been pretty happy with how fast it's progressed. My only real fear is if they try to tell me it's NOT a manufacturer's defect and I'm responsible. Has anyone else run into that problem?

Hope to have my passport back soon. Full timing it on the Z10 until then...
    I'm in the same boat but I will probably have to wait a bit longer to get the box + shipping + shipping back.

Hopefully it can get done before new year's. But I doubt it.

Keep us updated on your saga and how it turns out. And whether they just repair it or not.

Passport on Wind
    12-23-14 09:59 PM
    hecho in mexico

Thermodynamics perhaps

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 10:24 PM
    Bought my passport late Christmas Eve and by Boxing Day, the screen started to lift at the top right corner.

This is so common that it must be a design fault.

Well done Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 12:41 PM
221 ... 45678 ...