Hey guys. Have the q10 and went to the Priv. Wish I would have went to passport. The size of the kb still attracts me. I could care less about game apps or social media. I do use BBM though. My question is if I buy a passport today from ebay and Blackberry stops supporting bb10 tomorrow will calls,text,and browser still work. I am not trolling this is a honest question. I like the form factor of the phone but most of you guys are much more knowledgeable of the ins and outs of these phones. Thanks in advance for replies
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    05-04-17 07:15 PM
    To answer your question, yes, calls, texts and the browser will still work. However, the browser is getting long in the tooth and there have not been any big improvements for it in some time (and likely never will be) so as time goes on it will be lacking in many features. Many are reporting problems now, however, it is still working fine for my uses. I have been using a Passport since inception. I, like you, don't rely on many apps either.
    05-04-17 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the info
    05-04-17 08:25 PM
    For the requirements that you have stated, Passport is still the best choice. BB10 is a wonderful OS, it still has third party app developers support for the time being. Since, you have been with q10, Passport is definitely the best upgrade wrt BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-17 09:30 PM
    It'll work, like how the core calls and texts work on webOS still. The Web browser though is aging and it's not getting any younger!
    05-05-17 12:40 PM
    I am well aware that the BlackBerry 10 browser hasn't been updated in a long time but I am wondering how it will degrade?

If all you ever do is basic web surfing on the browser, what features won't work or websites won't load as a result of the older browser?

I know that on the PlayBook the browser was old, clunky and wouldn't load quickly to begin with as opposed towards the end where it was almost unusable. Is that what we can expect in the coming future? Any idea as to when things might go?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 04:27 PM
    I am well aware that the BlackBerry 10 browser hasn't been updated in a long time but I am wondering how it will degrade?

If all you ever do is basic web surfing on the browser, what features won't work or websites won't load as a result of the older browser?

I know that on the PlayBook the browser was old, clunky and wouldn't load quickly to begin with as opposed towards the end where it was almost unusable. Is that what we can expect in the coming future? Any idea as to when things might go?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Browser wise, pretty much, you've summed it up by comparison with the PlayBook. Think of using IE 6 when people had moved onto 7,8,9 and 10. As developers update mobile sites, more and more pages load slower and slower. Eventually, pages are just broken.

Nobody (except for a handful of employees, probably interns), is supporting BB10, and that's for critical security updates, not improving your surfing experience.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 04:36 PM
    Hey guys. Have the q10 and went to the Priv. Wish I would have went to passport. The size of the kb still attracts me. I could care less about game apps or social media. I do use BBM though. My question is if I buy a passport today from ebay and Blackberry stops supporting bb10 tomorrow will calls,text,and browser still work. I am not trolling this is a honest question. I like the form factor of the phone but most of you guys are much more knowledgeable of the ins and outs of these phones. Thanks in advance for replies

Sorry, this is a serious question. No offense, but do people believe that once a device is out of support it automatically stops working???
    There's no common sense these days? How's your car? Your toaster? Your shoes? Your TV? Did they stop working or do you buy a new one every year???

Unlike WhatsApp and other crap like that, the Internet and cellular networks run on open standards and if your phone works today, it will work tomorrow until they shut down the networks they run on.

Regarding comments about the BlackBerry browser, so far it's just fine. It has pretty decent HTML5 compliance, as good or better than the current iPhone browser. Is HTML6 coming soon? NO. So unless people are going to start running non-HTML5 compliant sites, there shouldn't be any major problems for a while.
    05-05-17 07:39 PM
    Very big thank you to all those who just took time and answered my question. Not sure what to say about the one person who just had to add a little extra and then compare a phone question to the status of human beings common sense. There really is always one. Smh
    05-05-17 08:30 PM
    Yes Internet Explorer 11 is how old? Ie 9 or 8 can be found easy. I'll bet you they perform almost as good as anything else. Does a 4 year old version of firefox fall apart tomorrow? Really stupid question. I have to agree.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    05-05-17 11:11 PM
    Smh. And the Internet tough guys merge for the kill. Lol
    05-06-17 12:04 AM
    Smh. And the Internet tough guys merge for the kill. Lol
    Lol don't mind the BB10 fanboys' rants. They're a perfect example of what the idiom "grasping at straws" means.
    05-06-17 01:00 AM
    Haha thanks bravo. Have a great day!!
    05-06-17 01:05 AM
    I would suggest that everything will work fine for what you use your phone for. I bought a second Passport recently that is still in its box and I have no concerns about any loss in functionality with diminished support for bb10 down the road. The best operating system out of the box.

As far as the replies that you didn't like, they could have more diplomatic in their response, but I do agree with their opinion that instant obsolescence doesn't happen. Your bb10 phones will work fine for core functions, even if some apps don't. They are probably weary of all of the sky is falling nonsense being posted on here.

For example, I expect that this drop proof 4 year old z10, which is running like new will last another 4, outliving many of the fancy dancy 2017 phones being sold today as some people constantly buy the latest.

In terms of the Passport, some users are reporting cellular connection issues (phones suddenly unable to connect to the cellular network). Mine has been fine, but I would be more concerned with that then lack of bb10 support. If you get a great deal, buy the passport. I really enjoy mine.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 09:28 AM
    I like my Passport and will keep using it. I'll be glad when Whatsapp doesn't work anymore and then I can just say it doesn't work, instead of I don't want to. Other apps are hardly needed in my world. The native Adobe works well for filling and signing simple sheets, hub is great with the wide screen, yeah I'll be here for awhile.

Behold, my thumbs have spoken.
    05-06-17 04:51 PM
    Thanks 1987 and Jobe. I asked a question and got mature and to the point answers
    05-06-17 05:37 PM