I was using my passport for half a year then got fed up with the slow browsing and some lack of apps,then put it in the box and got my old xperia z2 out. The android OS is faster and with a wide rage of apps but after one week I just could not take it anymore and got my passport back. There is just nothing like typing on this keyboard and BlackBerry auto correct with double language merging (something android just can't figure out how to do right,you have to manually switch between languages). So my question is,what are we to do when OS10 becomes completely obsolete? There is no device to compare with the Passport hardware. The priv keyboard is too small and sliding every time is a pain,and no language merging. BlackBerry MUST make a Passport 2 otherwise i'm lost..

Posted via CB10
    kjtaylor1 likes this.
    08-30-16 03:42 AM
    There is "supposed" to be an android phone coming that will be kind of like the passport/classic, with a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 05:37 AM
    I was using my passport for half a year then got fed up with the slow browsing and some lack of apps,then put it in the box and got my old xperia z2 out. The android OS is faster and with a wide rage of apps but after one week I just could not take it anymore and got my passport back. There is just nothing like typing on this keyboard and BlackBerry auto correct with double language merging (something android just can't figure out how to do right,you have to manually switch between languages). So my question is,what are we to do when OS10 becomes completely obsolete? There is no device to compare with the Passport hardware. The priv keyboard is too small and sliding every time is a pain,and no language merging. BlackBerry MUST make a Passport 2 otherwise i'm lost..

Posted via CB10
    If I may ask, slow browsing compared to what, and on what sites?

My Passport seems to browse just as quickly as friends' new iPhones (SE & 6+) and much faster than the iPhones 4 & 5. Are there specific sites where the BlackBerry OS10 browser is particularly slow (or alternatively, faster than most)?
    andy957, KemKev, kjtaylor1 and 1 others like this.
    08-30-16 05:43 AM
    How about clearing the "cookies and other date" and "clear History" from time to time?
    Basic service often does the trick.

Posted either via -Passport SQW100-1 or -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    kjtaylor1 and Bonnie Bonzai like this.
    08-30-16 05:46 AM
    Just in general. I had a really bad browsing experience with the native browser. Sometimes when touching a link it would load very very slowly even on 4G,sometimes it would just get stuck on loading and I had to reload,sometimes it would not open the link at all. Other times if I wanted to copy some text I would hold down my finger and nothing happened, I was unable to select the text. Chrome my old Z2 is a lot faster but is filled with ads and annoying pop ups. I got Chrome on my passport but it runs slow and overheats the phone. I'm trying Browsie Browser now. I have seen a lot of people praising the BlackBerry browsing experience but I did not have that at all, even after a full reinstall of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 05:53 AM
    There is "supposed" to be an android phone coming that will be kind of like the passport/classic, with a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Is there a codename for it?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 05:54 AM
    Just in general. I had a really bad browsing experience with the native browser. Sometimes when touching a link it would load very very slowly even on 4G,sometimes it would just get stuck on loading and I had to reload,sometimes it would not open the link at all. Other times if I wanted to copy some text I would hold down my finger and nothing happened, I was unable to select the text. Chrome my old Z2 is a lot faster but is filled with ads and annoying pop ups. I got Chrome on my passport but it runs slow and overheats the phone. I'm trying Browsie Browser now. I have seen a lot of praising the BlackBerry browsing experience but I did not have that at all, even after a full reinstall of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Ouch! You've evidently had some really bad Passport experiences re: browsing... huge sympathy, my productivity would be screwed if I regularly suffered those types of inconveniences.

The only times I've ever had 'stuck on loading' & 'would not open the link' issues is when at a busy railway station (eg Kings Cross, London at rush-hour) on 4G - but everybody else has always has the same issues, as though everybody's phones show a full-barred 4G signal, the cell tower is maxed out... (that's my assumption anyway).
    08-30-16 05:59 AM
    That is a reasonable explanation in that case but I was getting that all the time from the beginning. I think that was my biggest disappointment with bb10. That and the lack of push instant email,but for that Yahoo is to blame,not BlackBerry. Fingers crossed for Passport 2! And if it's not too much to ask, Shift and Alt keys and symbols on keys like the other BlackBerry keyboards.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-16 06:19 AM
    Is there a codename for it?

Posted via CB10
    Rome or Mercury. It's a mid tier phone on par with DTEK50, only with Classic's PKB.

Either using this, or stay with Passport SE for a decade. Remember, BBOS? It's not dead yet, right? Despite having been EOLed for 5 years. BB10 might get even much longer, since it doesn't need BIS to operate.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-30-16 06:36 AM
    Rome or Mercury. It's a mid tier phone on par with DTEK50, only with Classic's PKB.

Either using this, or stay with Passport SE for a decade. Remember, BBOS? It's not dead yet, right? Despite having been EOLed for 5 years. BB10 might get even much longer, since it doesn't need BIS to operate.

As a phone it will survive,no doubt. But Jellybean will become obsolete soon and the native BlackBerry store lacks some apps people need,like banking apps, eBay app and many more. It will become harder and harder to have the Passport meet one's needs. The Mercury rumoured design looks OK but it does not keep the form factor of the Passport. I heard people saying that android will not work on a 1:1 screen. Well,just download Nova Launcher apk and you get the full android interface (apart from the top notification bar and the bottom home key) and that seems to be running fine. You can't multi task because of the lack of 'tabs' key at the bottom but it is almost as having android on it.
    What are we to do when the Passport dies?-img_20160830_211308.png
    What are we to do when the Passport dies?-img_20160830_211330.png
    Attachment 407489
    08-30-16 03:18 PM
    Whoa... never tried that.

Regarding Passport, Android apps will definitely get suck once the ART is obsolete. Tough luck in this matter.

Fortunately, I have everything I need catered by the BlackBerry World, including bank app.

PayPal is another thing that I need, and in this regards the all new Web version is now much more reliable, light, stable and delight to the eye.

08-30-16 03:49 PM
    Sorry is Nova Launcher apk like the cobalt google play ? Can you clarify for me please ?
    08-30-16 06:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    You do realize that at the dtek50 launch in a feedback video they stated that BB10 development and updates are continuing along with Android right?
    08-30-16 06:48 PM
    You do realize that at the dtek50 launch in a feedback video they stated that BB10 development and updates are continuing along with Android right?
    You do realize that they don't even bother to keep up with that promise on the notorious 10.3.3.x update, right? Let alone a new BB10 device--IF it's true that BB10 development and updates are continuing along with Android.
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 08-30-16 at 10:43 PM.
    08-30-16 10:06 PM
    As you may have noticed, what BlackBerry says for PR purposes, and what is actually happening are not the same. There has not been any significant developement of BB10 for more than a year now.
    08-30-16 10:36 PM
    If we'll ever see another update to bb10 it will most likely be a security update only.

Posted from BlackBerry Passport SE.
    08-31-16 01:17 AM
    Sorry is Nova Launcher apk like the cobalt google play ? Can you clarify for me please ?
    No,nova launcher is just a custom 'Home' app for Android devices. Is like a highly customisable theme, just an interface. You have to install Cobalt's apps to get them on your passport then Nova launcher will show all your Android apps in the menu. In reality Nova launcher on a bb10 is only good for getting a feel of android. It is useless otherwise because of the lack of soft keys at the bottom and status bar at the top,those are provided by the android OS itself,but not on bb10's android.

anon(3732391) likes this.
    08-31-16 01:26 AM
    No,nova launcher is just a custom 'Home' app for Android devices. Is like a highly customisable theme, just an interface. You have to install Cobalt's apps to get them on your passport then Nova launcher will show all your Android apps in the menu. In reality Nova launcher on a bb10 is only good for getting a feel of android. It is useless otherwise because of the lack of soft keys at the bottom and status bar at the top,those are provided by the android OS itself,but not on bb10's android.

For the most part you are absolutely correct.
    I'm just "adding" my experience along with yours!!

I have a Passport
    As far as using ANY Android themes on a BB10 device. to realize it full potential it must be "rooted" and it is simply not possible to root anything "Android" to the present 10.3.2. OS.
    You can set up a theme (Next, Go and Nova appear to work the best) but you set it up within the theme launchers app and it then runs on top of BB10.

Once you get the hang of it it's pretty cool. When setting it up you have to reboot whenever downloading something within the theme to complete the download.
    Remember to save your settings from within the app. Once it's the way you want it , then you simply open the app.

The only slightly hassle I found is that the choices that you can choose from as you get deeper into setting it up is that there are way too MANY to choose from and if you're like me you have to look at all of them before you can decide. If you've ever tried to decide which font to use in a program like Office Word..... That's nothing compared to the amount of Wallpapers (regular and live)
    App styles, Weather apps for that particular theme..... But by the time you're done you'll have the equivalent of a Degree in Design.
    or you'll end up in a straitjacket!!
    08-31-16 02:29 AM
    If a link gets stuck on loading or simply loads way to slow, click the link again. It'll do the trick immediately. And if a page is stuck for some reason, press L. It seems to happen more often nowadays, but you notice it faster as well.
    08-31-16 02:39 AM
    By the way, to answer the OP's question as to "what are we to do" How about we all get together for a BBQ and then we'll kill ourselves!!
    Just think of all the ways we could make it even more fun!!

If we wait long enough eventually the cell phone will "just work." When that day comes, the following day will result in cellphones being replaced by some kind of chip implant and then , of course , the machines will have already started to take over.

Or you could really go over the edge by using the very unpopular "Positive" attitude and just find another phone that you can live with.
    Me??? I'm going to enjoy my passport to the fullest....ONE day at a time. I'm not going to moan and groan about what might have been or what might be
    For all I know, Tomorrow might be canceled.

Everyday that I wake up to a new day is enough to make me celebrate each new day as it comes. I don't plan on wasting it on useless negativity.

OK, so I admit it. I'm not a team player when it come to EXPECTING mobile devices to simply "just work!"
    So shoot me... But wait till after the BBQ!!
    08-31-16 02:53 AM
    My passport browser is phenomenal, I use the native one. It's weird that you have that problem. Anyway I felt the same as you, I think most of us are at this point. So I went Priv and while it's not the same, I absolutely love it and I'm very happy with it. It's definitely still a Blackberry, I don't consider it as just another android device

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    08-31-16 03:21 AM
    For the most part you are absolutely correct.
    I'm just "adding" my experience along with yours!!

I have a Passport
    As far as using ANY Android themes on a BB10 device. to realize it full potential it must be "rooted" and it is simply not possible to root anything "Android" to the present 10.3.2. OS.
    You can set up a theme (Next, Go and Nova appear to work the best) but you set it up within the theme launchers app and it then runs on top of BB10.

Once you get the hang of it it's pretty cool. When setting it up you have to reboot whenever downloading something within the theme to complete the download.
    Remember to save your settings from within the app. Once it's the way you want it , then you simply open the app.

The only slightly hassle I found is that the choices that you can choose from as you get deeper into setting it up is that there are way too MANY to choose from and if you're like me you have to look at all of them before you can decide. If you've ever tried to decide which font to use in a program like Office Word..... That's nothing compared to the amount of Wallpapers (regular and live)
    App styles, Weather apps for that particular theme..... But by the time you're done you'll have the equivalent of a Degree in Design.
    or you'll end up in a straitjacket!!
    It just shows that android would work on a 1:1 screen and I hope BlackBerry will still make such devices in the future. I find it very practical

08-31-16 05:02 AM
    In settings - language and input - BlackBerry keyboard settings, you can turn on the multilingual keyboard, which is what you called 'merge languages', I guess.
    Works pretty well on both my Priv and dtek. No need to manually switch languages.
    08-31-16 05:25 AM
    In settings - language and input - BlackBerry keyboard settings, you can turn on the multilingual keyboard, which is what you called 'merge languages', I guess.
    Works pretty well on both my Priv and dtek. No need to manually switch languages.
    I did that but it would not correct the second language unless I long pressed the space bar and switched to it.

08-31-16 06:02 AM
    I did that but it would not correct the second language unless I long pressed the space bar and switched to it.

If you did that correctly, when pressing and holding the space bar, you should not see two languages to switch between, but one language, and the multilingual keyboard as the other option. If this doesn't show, and your two languages don't get corrected / predicted, then your setting is wrong.
    08-31-16 06:16 AM
81 123 ...