I was lucky enough to slide in on Amazon's $599 pricing, and my Passport should be in my hands tomorrow. I've read scattered accounts of people encountering resistance when trying to activate theirs through AT&T house reps, so I'm polling for advice on how to handle it.

What kind of resistance would I reasonably see? Things along the lines of the reps not knowing what the phone is, insisting that they don't support it, or that its IMEI is not recognized in their system.

I usually have good luck with my normal store. They're almost always super helpful and well trained, but they started denying the existence of Blackberry ever since saying goodbye to the Z10. I did have to haggle with them to fudge my Xperia ZL's IMEI to access AT&T's LTE network, so if there's any friendly advice anyone would like to give on Passport activation, I'm listening.

Not that I expect anything to go wrong, but since I had to research the proper approach for the ZL, I'm doing the same for the Passport. I must admit that I'd have more confidence if AT&T would openly acknowledge Passports, but I know others have gotten through this.

OH... and since the instructions for sideloading Snap come from early this year, are the instructions for 10.2.1 still the best way to gain access to the Play store? I can't post the link (too new, dangit), but it's the Jan 28th, 2014 article over on How-To-and-Tips that I'm reading. It involves installing Chrome, some extension, and then a link to what I hope is the latest version of Snap. I'm sure you're all seen it.
    10-27-14 07:31 AM
    First, welcome to Crackberry!

I can't speak to your AT&T question, but here's one good option for installing snap

Install Snap using Sachesi:
    1. Download the appropriate Sachesi version here: Sachesi
    2. Un-archive the exe file (currently a 7zip file)
    3. Put the exe file in a folder on it's own on your computer (it's a stand-alone program)
    4. Download Snap here: Snap Google Play Client
    5. Plug your device into your computer.
    6. Double click the Sachesi exe file to launch it. Enter your device password, if you use one.
    7. Click on the install tab.
    8. Drag/drop the Snap bar file into the window. You'll see a progress bar on your device and in Sachesi.
    9. When complete, unplug your device. You're done, enjoy.

*** Note that BlackBerry Link must already installed on the computer (this installs drivers you'll need).
    *** "Development Mode" is not required when using Sachesi.
    *** Unless you know what you're doing, do not mess with the other, advanced options within Sachesi!
    *** Settings > App Manager > Installing Apps > "Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed" must be enabled to install APK's.
    10-27-14 07:38 AM
    Seems like AT&T 's system is recognizing the Passport now. I just went in and asked for a nano sim, they put one in and I already had LTE. I didn't have to do anything else It just worked.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-27-14 07:44 AM
    The only problem I had with AT&T is that the tech didn't know how to access the SIM card tray. I had previously installed a microSD card before going to the AT&T shop so I knew how to do it and could show him (there's a little notch in the top center of the phone that lets you slip a finger nail in and pry off the cover -- it's not obvious how to get the cover off if you don't know it's there).

when the passport was first released, it was not in AT&T's system so it wasn't recognized as an LTE capable phone, so people had to substitute dummy IMEI's. That no longer seems to be a problem. The tech plugged in the SIM card, switched the phone to my account, and everything just worked. It's better that you not give a dummy IMEI if you don't have to (and if you do, it's probably better to call AT&T's technical support and have them do, as the techs at the store are often a bit clueless .

Good Luck.
    10-27-14 07:47 AM
    ^ what he/she said.

Should be fairly simple.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:49 AM
    I was lucky enough to slide in on Amazon's $599 pricing, and my Passport should be in my hands tomorrow. I've read scattered accounts of people encountering resistance when trying to activate theirs through AT&T house reps, so I'm polling for advice on how to handle it.

What kind of resistance would I reasonably see? Things along the lines of the reps not knowing what the phone is, insisting that they don't support it, or that its IMEI is not recognized in their system.

I usually have good luck with my normal store. They're almost always super helpful and well trained, but they started denying the existence of Blackberry ever since saying goodbye to the Z10. I did have to haggle with them to fudge my Xperia ZL's IMEI to access AT&T's LTE network, so if there's any friendly advice anyone would like to give on Passport activation, I'm listening.

Not that I expect anything to go wrong, but since I had to research the proper approach for the ZL, I'm doing the same for the Passport. I must admit that I'd have more confidence if AT&T would openly acknowledge Passports, but I know others have gotten through this.

OH... and since the instructions for sideloading Snap come from early this year, are the instructions for 10.2.1 still the best way to gain access to the Play store? I can't post the link (too new, dangit), but it's the Jan 28th, 2014 article over on How-To-and-Tips that I'm reading. It involves installing Chrome, some extension, and then a link to what I hope is the latest version of Snap. I'm sure you're all seen it.
    Hi,
    I was kinda in your situation and needed to deal with AT&T. My previous unlocked ph uses a micro sim card. When my new passport arrived on Sat, I went to the AT&T store to swap to a nano sim card. I have to show my new passport for the IMEI number. They de-activated my old micro sim card and activated the new nano card. I paid nothing and was out of the store in 10 mins.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    10-27-14 07:50 AM
    The dummy IMEI was what we had to use for the Xperia. Surprisingly, my tech knew how to do that when I brought it up. But it's good to hear that it won't be needed, just in case.

And thanks, Elessar, for the Sachessi advice. I'll be sure to use that.

And, finally, it's good to be back. I was a huge Blackberry supporter until they drifted away from their business focus with early BB10. That... disappointed me, and I wanted to see what my other favorite brand managed to table with a modern smartphone. But Blackberry getting their heads back on straight was like a siren's call I couldn't resist.

Here's one I feel I should ask, but there might not be much experience with it. I'm grandfathered in on a great unlimited data plan that AT&T had not yet jeopardized when devices are swapped, at least that last time I checked. It would be very disappointing to learn that they've begun bucking these older plans.

I just can't envision that they're going to let us stay on it forever, but so far so good. Please tell me this remains true.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    10-27-14 08:03 AM
    Seems like AT&T 's system is recognizing the Passport now. I just went in and asked for a nano sim, they put one in and I already had LTE. I didn't have to do anything else It just worked.

Posted via CB10
    Same, switched carriers and walked into a company AT&T store and received a new nano SIM for the Passport with LTE and no problems. I did discuss with them the IMEI issue prior and they were willing to allow me to use my mother's Z10's number if I did not receive LTE. Her Z10 is being used currently on their network as well. Very accommodating, but in the end the Passport worked perfectly. No issues at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 08:25 AM
    AT&T here as well and didn't have an issue. Got the SIM, put it in and LTE was there.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:22 AM
    For me all I said was 'my phone is new and it has lte capability if it doesn't work can you use the imei for my z10 instead?' she said yeah got my sim card in she used the imei of my passport and it worked with no problem.

What is that?! That my friend is my BlackBerry Passport.
    10-27-14 10:30 AM
    Recently activated my passport with AT&T. I didn't have any troubles. Just to make sure the technician puts the IMEI number into their system.

I was able to get AT&T LTE service where available.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 12:44 PM

Here's one I feel I should ask, but there might not be much experience with it. I'm grandfathered in on a great unlimited data plan that AT&T had not yet jeopardized when devices are swapped, at least that last time I checked. It would be very disappointing to learn that they've begun bucking these older plans.

I just can't envision that they're going to let us stay on it forever, but so far so good. Please tell me this remains true.
    I received my Passport on Friday, October 24th. I went into AT&T and they gave me a new nanoSIM. Their network does indeed appear to recognize the device, as installation was a breeze. Voice and LTE data worked with no need for the creation of a dummy IMEI.

The only issue I've come across is in regard to voicemail. My voicemail service disappeared when I switched to the new device. If someone called my phone, it would just keep ringing until they hung up. It would never go to voicemail, as my voicemail box did not exist. This was easily taken care of with a call to AT&T customer service.

Also, there appears to be no visual voicemail support for the Passport on AT&T's network. If there's a BB OS 10 setting that I need to fiddle around with to get Visual Voicemail working, any assistance would be appreciated, but, this isn't a big deal to me. I'm okay with good ol' "callin' my voicemail box" access.

Regarding your data plan: I, too, have a grandfathered in data plan. Switching to the Passport didn't affect my plan at all.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new phone.
    10-27-14 01:23 PM
    I received my Passport on Friday, October 24th. I went into AT&T and they gave me a new nanoSIM. Their network does indeed appear to recognize the device, as installation was a breeze. Voice and LTE data worked with no need for the creation of a dummy IMEI.

The only issue I've come across is in regard to voicemail. My voicemail service disappeared when I switched to the new device. If someone called my phone, it would just keep ringing until they hung up. It would never go to voicemail, as my voicemail box did not exist. This was easily taken care of with a call to AT&T customer service.

Also, there appears to be no visual voicemail support for the Passport on AT&T's network. If there's a BB OS 10 setting that I need to fiddle around with to get Visual Voicemail working, any assistance would be appreciated, but, this isn't a big deal to me. I'm okay with good ol' "callin' my voicemail box" access.

Regarding your data plan: I, too, have a grandfathered in data plan. Switching to the Passport didn't affect my plan at all.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new phone.
    Hmmmm..... that's strange. I have no trouble with the AT&T visual voice-mail.

Posted via CB10
    donmateo likes this.
    10-27-14 02:00 PM
    AT&T is still allowing those on their grandfathered plans to use a subsidy; say if they stocked the Passport and someone couldn't purchase it outright they are still allowing customers to use their subsidized pricing on grandfathered plans.

I switched from a Verizon unlimited data plan to AT&T, but my mother is on a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T and they are not doing what Verizon has been doing as of yet. For me to keep my unlimited data on Verizon I had to purchase my Z10 then Z30 both outright from them to stay on my plan.

Just thought I'd share, but since you purchased outright this will not change your current plan either way. I did bring the box the Passport came in to the company AT&T store and the rep scanned the IMEI number off of the box and then brought me my nano SIM and once in no problems and LTE.

This was the first week of October so I'm sure that everything should go well now, especially since it has been a few weeks and I had no problems.

Just for your peace of mind, my mother had an iPhone and I upgraded her to a Z10 for Mother's Day and her grandfathered plan did not change at all although getting off of Apple was a huge PITA. They wanted to charge her a few hundred dollars to take her phone number out of their system as after the switch she could not get texts from anyone with an iPhone due to iMessage being turned on. This was eventually resolved without Apple. I warned her to stay away from them; this is the crap they pull when you tell them you upgraded to a BlackBerry lol. Thought it was funny. Like a dinosaur worried about an ant. Anyway, good luck!

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:08 PM
    A note about the unlimited data plan though: AT&T, although they have stated this is going to change "soon," doesn't allow BBM video calling while you're on the unlimited plan. You can do it via wifi, but not over their network.

As far as the SIM, I just cut the one I had for my Z30 down to a nano from a micro, popped it in, and immediately had LTE.

I try to avoid my AT&T store like I do ebola.
    10-27-14 02:14 PM
    Hmmmm..... that's strange. I have no trouble with the AT&T visual voice-mail.

Posted via CB10
    Same here with two Passports on AT&T. All you have to do is call your voice-mail for the first time, and it will automatically detect that VVM is available, then it'll ask you for the voice-mail password.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 02:15 PM
    Can someone snap a screen-print to show where LTE should appear? Should it be in the settings area or on the main screen in the upper right corner?
    10-27-14 03:57 PM
    Can someone snap a screen-print to show where LTE should appear? Should it be in the settings area or on the main screen in the upper right corner?
    Upper right corner by the signal meter, but it will only show if you're not on wifi.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 03:58 PM
    I walked in and said "I need a nano sim scanned to this [Z10] IMEI then I'm going to put it in this [Passport]." The dude gave me a blank look for a minute then went and got the sim. I threw it in, reset the phone and it worked.

It sounds like some people are able to just use the Passport IMEI, but I didn't want to risk it. If ATT is putting it in the system, maybe that's a good sign it's coming somewhat soon.
    10-27-14 04:03 PM

I'm going to assume your previous device wasn't a BB10 device. When I switched from iPhone to BB10, I also lost my VVM. The people at AT&T need to change your plan to what I believe is called "Unlimited Data for BlackBerry with Visual Voicemail." It takes about 15 seconds for them to do, but most of the reps in the stores don't know this plan exists.

Also, just so everyone knows, our grandfathered unlimited data plans now throttle down the speed to 2G after 7GB of usage in a month. Cricket uses the AT&T network and offers a 10GB plan with no overage fees for $60/month. I'm going to switch to that once my contract is up next month.
    10-27-14 04:07 PM
    What does everyone mean here when they mention "activating" the phone with AT&T??

Isint it just a matter of getting a nano-SIM activated on their network? What does it matter what phone you are going to use it in? Here I just go into the store and say "Hey can I get a nano-SIM please?" and I walk out. They dont see my phone or anything.
    10-27-14 04:16 PM
    What does everyone mean here when they mention "activating" the phone with AT&T??

Isint it just a matter of getting a nano-SIM activated on their network? What does it matter what phone you are going to use it in? Here I just go into the store and say "Hey can I get a nano-SIM please?" and I walk out. They dont see my phone or anything.
    In order to "fire up" the SIM card and link it to a phone number and account (i.e. someone to charge) for the very first time, they need some device ID associated with it. Once you do that you can swap the sim card into different devices and they don't really care.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 06:11 PM
    I am using a factory unlocked Passport with AT&T.
    I simply walked into the store, and I asked for a nano SIM card. I had to verify my number / account information, and that was it.
    Once I plugged the card in, I had data right away, and it took about an hour to start receiving calls.
    All you need to do is ask for a nano SIM; that's it. If you have issues later, just call them, and they'll make sure everything is working remotely. There's almost zero in-store interaction required.

To install Snap:
    On your computer:
    If you aren't already using it, download Google Chrome (the browser).
    Open Google Chrome, and install the BB10 / PlayBook App Manager extension.

Go to: http://redlightoflove.com/snap/
    Download Snap.

On your device:
    Go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Development Mode. Switch Development Mode to "On."
    Go to Settings > About > Network. Your IPV4 address is listed here.

On your computer:
    Open Google Chrome and start the PlayBook App Manager extension.
    Type in the IPV4 address listed in your device's network settings.
    Login to your device. It will warn you that the connection isn't secure; go to advanced settings and proceed anyway.
    Drag the Snap.bar (from the location you downloaded it to) to the install queue (located in the upper right corner of the PlayBook App Manager extension page).
    This will sideload Snap on your device.

On your device:
    Go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Development Mode. Switch Development Mode to "Off."
    Open Snap; sign in with your Google account.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 06:42 PM
    I didn't have any problems at all, went into the store and asked for nano sim, plugged it in and I had LTE and all has been fine since

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 07:52 PM
    I walked in and said "I need a nano sim scanned to this [Z10] IMEI then I'm going to put it in this [Passport]." The dude gave me a blank look for a minute then went and got the sim. I threw it in, reset the phone and it worked.

It sounds like some people are able to just use the Passport IMEI, but I didn't want to risk it. If ATT is putting it in the system, maybe that's a good sign it's coming somewhat soon.
    Maybe I'm a bit OCD, but I would have given the Passport's IMEI number a shot so AT&T recognizes that is the device you are using and on your account. I went to a company store and discussed the issue and was assured that if the IMEI number from the Passport did not give me LTE on the spot that they would use my mother's IMEI number from her Z10 for me.

Also just want to mention I was before most in activating the Passport as it was the beginning of October so for those now bringing in Passports there shouldn't be any issues. I did make sure I went to a company store though through a quick search on the AT&T website... they will do whatever they can to help especially if you are switching to them. You really have the upper hand.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 08:13 PM
32 12