09-26-14 06:38 PM
97 1234
tools
    My $0.02:

-The Wayne Gretzky cameo was too fake and tacky, they definitely didn't need it in there. It felt like an infomercial for the 2-3 minutes he was out there. The passport has legs to stand on its own, they didn't need a fake Gretzky endorsement

-Chen is not a good speaker...the over-use of the vocalization "uh" in his speeches is very evident. His message is not continuous

-The guy who did the software presentation immediately after Chen did a truly fantastic job.

-My only criticism of the event is that I saw many references to what the passport can do better than the iPhone. I would have NEVER mentioned a competitor's product by name. It makes it look like the benchmarks for your product's performance are evaluated against the standards set by the iphone. They should have kept it generic, and referred to the iPhone as a "generic slab phone" or something similar.

-Anyone else see the nice "sent from my BB10 on the TELUS Network" plug during the software presentation?
    That right there is a huge no-no. If I had not been working while all this was going on I would have watched it. I would have cringed if I heard that. Who the heck is their PR company? That is two things they need to change. Their marketing team and their PR team. PUBLIC RELATIONS means getting people talking about a product beyond the TV commercials and that includes organizing an event like this. They should have gone into serious detail about 10.3 and even talked about things that were there from 10.2 just to get the reporters to write about the great things that few people know about BB10. They should have went all out at least this once. The BB10 launch came close but it didn't do enough and 10.0 was archaic in comparison. They've taken leaps and bounds in the software and development and now they should take at least a bigger leap in the public image campaign. Mentioning your competition is bad. Very bad.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    09-24-14 09:15 PM
    Mentioning the competition is not a bad idea in this context. It arms early adopters and the faithful with lines they can use to convince others.

To the general public BlackBerry is not really a contender in comparisons to flagships from iPhone and Samsung devices. When you are clearly the underdog making direct comparisons help.
    gokulesh likes this.
    09-24-14 09:24 PM
    I agree that comparison with competitors was good, it's just that they went too far with the mentions. I would have cut about half of that out. The whole event felt like the first rehearsal or walk through. It just needed some major editing before they did it for real.

And then there was some point where Chen called attention to the fact that he didn't want to mention a competitor. That was just bizarre. At the point I was starting to get really angry at the idiots who scheduled an Asia trip for him right before an important product launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-24-14 09:33 PM
    Apple events are so full of energy. The media in the room and everyone else in there claps and cheers in excitement, and BlackBerry just doesn't have that. I get the feeling that the media in there was like, "Oh, God. Let's see how bad this is going to be..."

This will never happen, but BlackBerry should invite fans or even *SELL* tickets to their big product launches. And I'm not just talking about the "#BBelite" people (there are many of us out there who aren't BlackBerry app developers and don't tweet out BlackBerry links all day accompanied by some "inspirational" quote, but we religiously buy BlackBerry products). We are just as excited as the iPhone people are during the Steve Jobs/Tim Cook annual Apple magic show. I was in London until yesterday and would have bought two tickets and extended my stay by a day to be able to see the Passport launch.

BlackBerry has the fans that will clap and cheer and fill the room with excitement, and that does a lot for the people on stage talking and presenting too. The people up there are supposed to sound excited and passionate, but if the audience is just a bunch of reporters who are just there doing their jobs and typing on their iPhones while John Chen and Jeff Gadway are speaking, it's not going to be a very excited audience.

BlackBerry's fan base is rabid. They have some of the most ardent fanboys (and girls), and those are the people whose "vibe" BlackBerry needs in the audience. I kept saying "wow" to myself while I was watching the live stream on my Z30 at 6am this morning, after getting 5 hours of sleep and being jet lagged. But what good is our clapping and joy when we're just at home watching it? Surely I wasn't the only one geeking out over the Passport like a little nerd!

I guarantee that if the room even *felt* excited, it would be written about by tech blogs. I like John Chen and I love his sense of humor. It's dry and if you don't pick up on it, you could easily mistake him for being boring. John Chen doesn't go on stage to inspire people with rhetoric and words. What he does with BlackBerry, turning it around, fighting back--that's how he inspires people.
    Last edited by SK122387; 09-24-14 at 10:02 PM.
    09-24-14 09:45 PM
    Just watching the replay now at BlackBerry Webcast
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-24-14 09:45 PM
    I only watched some of it but it was not very professional. Past launches were better.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-24-14 09:48 PM
    I agree that comparison with competitors was good, it's just that they went too far with the mentions. I would have cut about half of that out. The whole event felt like the first rehearsal or walk through. It just needed some major editing before they did it for real.

And then there was some point where Chen called attention to the fact that he didn't want to mention a competitor. That was just bizarre. At the point I was starting to get really angry at the idiots who scheduled an Asia trip for him right before an important product launch.

Yes, but thy didn't need to name names. They could have poked fun at some "i" devices or just talk about features that can be beat by a BlackBerry. They don't have to name any names. Either way I'm going to watch whatever I can now. I feel it would be better if I did.

Edit: 25m in. Oh I get it now. I don't know though.
    Last edited by eddy_berry; 09-24-14 at 10:08 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-24-14 09:49 PM
    I thought that Gadway did a good job. Some of the material he covered could have better but I do understand the target audience for the device. The rest was kinda meh. Wayne seemed nervous as hell and out of place for the whole 2 minutes he was up there. The biggest thing was the crowd seemed dead. I assume most people have seen and played with the leaks so everything that was shown wasnt new and that is the harm in all the leaks.
    I thought Gadway was a bit flat. He didn't have the same passion that Vivek had during the BB10 launch. I also thought Panos Panay did a great job of presenting the Surface Pro tablets.

Whatever happened to Alec Saunders?

I agree that Wayne Gretzky seemed completely out of his comfort zone despite his history of performing in front of people.
    09-24-14 09:53 PM
    I seem to be the only one here who thought Chen was really good.

Saw Thor present the BB10 launch - now THAT was cringeworthy. The guy had the charisma of a boulder.

Chen makes me laugh. Not just me either - heard a lot of laughter from the crowd. There were moments when I thought "did he really just say that in a product launch?!", but although on the face of it that could seem counter-productive, I think it puts us on his side.

Everyone is welcome to disagree with me!

Posted via CB10
    I love John Chen. He always has something witty or clever to say, and I get the feeling that he's as real as it gets. He has this bit of smugness in his comments sometimes, and I appreciate it. He isn't afraid to make a backhanded comment about a competitor, or even what BlackBerry can afford. I don't know, I just appreciate that he levels with everyone, and I think that the fact that he's a CEO that's not full of _ _ _ _ catches people off guard because he seems like way too normal of a guy to be running a company.
    BirdHand and unbreakablej like this.
    09-24-14 10:14 PM
    I am one of the few that liked the low key event.

JC was ok. I think jet lagged.

Gadway was boring. Sorry. And brown shoes? Not even close to vivek.

Peter Ng was terrible and so was Gretzky.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 10:39 PM
    I mostly liked Chen today. I cringed at first but then I started to realize that he wasn't putting on a show and we were seeing the real John Chen. I didn't like the fact he had to refer to notes on what looked like an envelope. Maybe he should have used BlackBerry Express?
    BirdHand and KingOfQwerty like this.
    09-24-14 10:46 PM
    Apple events are so full of energy. The media in the room and everyone else in there claps and cheers in excitement, and BlackBerry just doesn't have that. I get the feeling that the media in there was like, "Oh, God. Let's see how bad this is going to be..."

This will never happen, but BlackBerry should invite fans or even *SELL* tickets to their big product launches. And I'm not just talking about the "#BBelite" people (there are many of us out there who aren't BlackBerry app developers and don't tweet out BlackBerry links all day accompanied by some "inspirational" quote, but we religiously buy BlackBerry products). We are just as excited as the iPhone people are during the Steve Jobs/Tim Cook annual Apple magic show. I was in London until yesterday and would have bought two tickets and extended my stay by a day to be able to see the Passport launch.

BlackBerry has the fans that will clap and cheer and fill the room with excitement, and that does a lot for the people on stage talking and presenting too. The people up there are supposed to sound excited and passionate, but if the audience is just a bunch of reporters who are just there doing their jobs and typing on their iPhones while John Chen and Jeff Gadway are speaking, it's not going to be a very excited audience.

BlackBerry's fan base is rabid. They have some of the most ardent fanboys (and girls), and those are the people whose "vibe" BlackBerry needs in the audience. I kept saying "wow" to myself while I was watching the live stream on my Z30 at 6am this morning, after getting 5 hours of sleep and being jet lagged. But what good is our clapping and joy when we're just at home watching it? Surely I wasn't the only one geeking out over the Passport like a little nerd!

I guarantee that if the room even *felt* excited, it would be written about by tech blogs. I like John Chen and I love his sense of humor. It's dry and if you don't pick up on it, you could easily mistake him for being boring. John Chen doesn't go on stage to inspire people with rhetoric and words. What he does with BlackBerry, turning it around, fighting back--that's how he inspires people.
    100 % agreed invite the real fans there

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry, BirdHand and MikeX74 like this.
    09-24-14 10:48 PM
    Looking at it again, Chen was the best part of the event. He received the most applause.

Everything was going well with Chen holding a Canadian passport. I was intrigued how got the Passport. Gadway was such a party pooper saying it was his passport not Chen's. He could have just been quiet rather than outing his boss on stage.

Yes, the audience must have been full of skeptics. Better to have BB fans instead.

I like Chen's line in reference to Canadian media: "If you don’t support us, you have some problems." He did pull out all the stops to win Canada. IMHO they just priced it wrong. It must be $599 for Canada.
    09-24-14 11:13 PM
    I almost heard crickets. But at least they're in suits not jeans.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    09-24-14 11:19 PM
    Watched the launch live on my Q10 on cbc.ca and while I think the Passport is an awesome device I kept telling myself "why are the presenters sooo crap???"

No, I don't think they need to hire Dr.Dre or Jennifer Lawrence, they just needed someone passionate about the product and definitely a better setup (honestly, at least on my screen that room seemed like the budget event space room at an airport hotel...)

Don't know who exactly was the guy that presented for the most part but I found him very lacking in passion and enthusiasm and above all not a very good presenter (not that Tim Cook is one either) - during the Blend part for example his "and that is a game changer that will transform etc..." sounded more like "can I have a medium latte please"...

Anyway, the day has arrived and we can all relish the news!
    Hope London and Dubai gigs were better!

BlaQberry10
    Just watched it. Pretty weak. I don't think Chen should do those presentations.
    09-24-14 11:36 PM
    Watched the launch live on my Q10 on cbc.ca and while I think the Passport is an awesome device I kept telling myself "why are the presenters sooo crap???"

No, I don't think they need to hire Dr.Dre or Jennifer Lawrence, they just needed someone passionate about the product and definitely a better setup (honestly, at least on my screen that room seemed like the budget event space room at an airport hotel...)

Don't know who exactly was the guy that presented for the most part but I found him very lacking in passion and enthusiasm and above all not a very good presenter (not that Tim Cook is one either) - during the Blend part for example his "and that is a game changer that will transform etc..." sounded more like "can I have a medium latte please"...

Anyway, the day has arrived and we can all relish the news!
    Hope London and Dubai gigs were better!

BlaQberry10
    Sorry I have to disagree.

First you got a free device if attended in person and yet you still complain; shows the value of your being imho.

Secondly I think BlackBerry's BEST presentor is Jeff Gadway! He did a phenomenal job and executed his & blackberry's delivery of message efficiently and effectively! With just a slight vocal/speech hiccup - barely more than a syllabol was off; can YOU do better for that length of time in front of a live streamed and live presented audience?! I highly doubt it.
    09-24-14 11:43 PM

I agree completely. What you said about the presenters and the audience is very true. As an actor, having a responsive audience makes a huge difference. An audience may be silent but love a show, but it leaves the actors feeling uncertain. I would also purchase tickets to an event.

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    09-25-14 01:41 AM
    I also had meh reception of presentation. The room was too small for my taste and everyone except JC were using a lot of uninspiring phrases. Presentation guy was ok.
    2 thing i remembered were:
    1. JC trying to unlock passport by swiping frome above??
    2. Jc having problems to pull phone out of his pocket
    09-25-14 01:54 AM

And that's exactly my problem with turning presentations into events they shouldn't be events. Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are full of themselves and they still *need* to hire paid off "fans" in order to clap, cheer and provide standing ovations like they are at some sort of a sport event. Guess in countries like Japan, China or even Germany that over the top PR crap would never fly, I don't know why it does in America but ok...personally I think the star of the presentation should be the product not the audience nor the presenters.

I have done a lot of presentations in my life at school, uni and some work related I hated every bit off it (and still do), but one thing I'm really good at - according to my bosses - is letting the presentation speak for itself and *not* unneeded provide energy or excitement.

Back in the days I did hate Samsung's presentations also but now I like them a lot more, they are quick and the star is the product that's the way i t should be.

I just rewatched the presentation and overall liked a lot better than Cookes wannabe Jobs presentation, that being said I think they should have shown the browser and call experience and *not* (!!!) talk about the big dogs in the Android, IOS market that's never a clever thing. I did have a hard time understand the third mobile professional (Reuben?) but maybe that's because English isn't my native language.
    09-25-14 03:14 AM
    once he warmed up Jeff Gadway was ok, but to be honest, judging this from the perspective of an It Consultant who has to deliver presentations, all of them did appear inexperienced and nervous initially.

The presentation content itself was top notch though, and Jeff Gadway strikes me as someone who probably needed more rehearsal or maybe just more experience. I'm not sure how many times he's faced a large public audience. Kudos though, nerves show you care, rather than being a cocky arrogant fool, and he got up to speed and made his points very well. The comparisons to the iphone 6 were very well constructed, and he certainly made Apple look pretty inferior in those 5 minutes.

One criticism - was it just me mishearing, or did he say the passport had 4gb of RAM? Slides and everything I know says 3?
    09-25-14 04:21 AM
    Compared to the car crash BB10 Z10 presentation it was very good. The Passport features demo was excellent. The only part that flagged for me was the developer section, where they explained their apps. I can see why it was included, to emphasise BB's targetting of professional Passport usage in science, medicine, commerce and industry but it deflated the momentum that had built up. By the time they got to BB Blend I was losing interest. I was much more excited by what the earlier Passport demos could do for my business and whether I should buy one to replace my Z10 and PlayBook.

As for iPhone presentations, well it's all a bit like the UK's X-factor TV show, two hours of whooping and hollering but only 20 minutes of real info.
    offyoutoddle and Carrtman like this.
    09-25-14 04:34 AM
    And that's exactly my problem with turning presentations into events they shouldn't be events. Tim Cook and Phil Schiller are full of themselves and they still *need* to hire paid off "fans" in order to clap, cheer and provide standing ovations like they are at some sort of a sport event. Guess in countries like Japan, China or even Germany that over the top PR crap would never fly, I don't know why it does in America but ok...personally I think the star of the presentation should be the product not the audience nor the presenters.

I have done a lot of presentations in my life at school, uni and some work related I hated every bit off it (and still do), but one thing I'm really good at - according to my bosses - is letting the presentation speak for itself and *not* unneeded provide energy or excitement.

Back in the days I did hate Samsung's presentations also but now I like them a lot more, they are quick and the star is the product that's the way i t should be.

I just rewatched the presentation and overall liked a lot better than Cookes wannabe Jobs presentation, that being said I think they should have shown the browser and call experience and *not* (!!!) talk about the big dogs in the Android, IOS market that's never a clever thing. I did have a hard time understand the third mobile professional (Reuben?) but maybe that's because English isn't my native language.
    OT: would never have known English wasn't your native tongue.
    09-25-14 06:01 AM
    After watching the full presentation I don't think it was really all that bad.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:06 AM
    once he warmed up Jeff Gadway was ok, but to be honest, judging this from the perspective of an It Consultant who has to deliver presentations, all of them did appear inexperienced and nervous initially.
    This. As a lecturer who has to supervise other lecturers, I'd have stopped Chen after 50 seconds and asked him if he really knew what he was doing, because jetlag or not, it was mostly poor improvisation. Gadaway I would have given a B - I agree with @offyoutoddle that he very quickly and convincingly made the iPhone reading and editing experience look poor when compared to the Passport's, but still not a stellar presenter.

More on the presentation itself - if the Classic is going to get the same treatment they're better off just doing what they did on the blogs website yesterday - bunch of videos and articles, and not a sub-standard presentation like the one in Toronto yesterday. If BlackBerry's message is intended for professionals, executives, businesspeople and regulated industry, their message needs to scream professionalism. Yesterday was amateur hour and frankly I think it did damage to the products.
    blicked and ehroberts like this.
    09-25-14 06:26 AM
    After watching the full presentation I don't think it was really all that bad.
    Even the part where the CEO volunteered that he didn't understand the pricing of his own product?

Or where he awkwardly begged for nationalist support *before* introducing a great product that can easily stand on its own feet? They could have done the flag waving at the end, if they really wanted to, but lead with the cool new phone. Otherwise the message is "what we are about to introduce may not be something you're going to rush out and want to buy on its own merit. We need you to do that, though, because you're Canadian and we're Canadian. And seriously, we're in a lot of trouble here if you don't buy this thing. Did I mention we're Canadian? Look, I even borrowed a Canadian passport for this"

A lot of this could have been dealt with in proper editing. They could have still made the patriotic message in a less desperate way. The authenticity of that would been stronger if someone other than the American CEO had made that point, etc.

To me it's not about style. They can have their own style. If anything they should be less like Apple, but they can still be professional and pay great attention to detail and rehearse their major presentations such that it doesn't feel like they just rolled out bed and winged it.

Bsbudd, lmsilvam, blicked and 1 others like this.
    09-25-14 06:26 AM
97 1234