If you read between the lines then it's obvious that Chen is not the biggest fan of the Passport. I didn't make this one but I didn't kill it? I'm sure we will someday hear the truth about his feelings about it.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-25-14 07:12 AM
    BlackBerry has become so traumatized that they don't even see success when it's staring right at them. They really are not expecting much. Considering all this, the presentation was not bad. I'm making excuses for them. But they did get the product shipping the same day. That's a big turnaround.
    09-25-14 07:21 AM
    Jeff Gadway really made the presentation, his a great speaker, very concise, doesn't get flusted. A++
    John seemed to go a bit off track here and there, but he did okay.

The asian guy (can't recall his name) was terrible, he clearly didn't like speaking infront of people or was not confident. Everything he said seemed so forced.

The other lackeys who were paid to blabber on didn't do much for me.

Overall though I liked the presentation, mainly because of Jeff Gadway's part.
    09-25-14 07:27 AM
    I think it was a good presentation.

They showed why they think the passport is better than the competition.

Regarding Chen' English, there were some stuff I did not understand but I still got the message. In Canada is very common having people in top positions with English as a second language.

My only concern was that they did not explain the hub well to the audience. It was pretty much assumed that people knew was the hub was.

They should have spent at least some more minutes explaining the hub.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:28 AM
    Couldn't agree more!!! Jeff Gadway is the best presentator in the show

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 07:34 AM
    Chen is hilarious. I like the way he does presentations, doesn't seem scripted, he's just being his goofy self and that's a good thing. We don't need a other robot like heinz

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    09-25-14 07:45 AM
    In my perspective the presentation was much better than past ones based on the quality of the product videos/commercials and design interviews. This is what people like to see especially when they are polished professional pieces. John Chen seemed self effacing and possibly nervous. I always liked Vivek as a presenter. Is he no longer with the company?

The best thing they could have done was minimize John Chen a bit more, polish the presentations more so in deference to an Apple or Microsoft style where the "technical" flaw issues are diminished. Also the presenter who did the enterprise section had some clear timing issues and pushed the on stage customers too hard to get back on track. Jeff Gadway did a good job and just needs more time in fornt of larger crowds. As I mentioned it was better in many ways and John Chen was fine but clearly not a personality but appears to be a good CEO.
    09-25-14 08:01 AM
    The

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:10 AM
    Chen is hilarious. I like the way he does presentations, doesn't seem scripted, he's just being his goofy self and that's a good thing. We don't need a other robot like heinz
    I think the question I would ask if I worked at BlackBerry is this:

If our target market is regulated enterprise and serious professionals, is goofy the image we want to portray here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    andy957 and TGR1 like this.
    09-25-14 09:41 AM

If our target market is regulated enterprise and serious professionals, is goofy the image we want to portray here?

You can have a little fun, yes. It's not a bad thing. I do agree with you earlier that there were more than a few gaffs in Chen's speech and the whole Canadian thing would have been better if we got a discount like the US did.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 11:28 AM
    being laid back in business is more in vogue these days. I wouldn't worry to much about that . At least they all turned up in suits. After all, we all know people in suits work harder right........

09-25-14 11:36 AM
    I was getting tired of all the references to "mobile professionals".
    09-25-14 11:53 AM
    As a CrackBerry member I have had the chance to see Jeff Gadway grow into his career throughout his years at BlackBerry, and I thought he did a really great job.
    09-25-14 12:32 PM
    I was ok with the presentation.. it was keeping it real with the people that made it happen and it was live..

I saw it last night after I read this thread and was expecting the worse.. it really wasn't bad..

Glad Gretzky was there and not U2

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 12:47 PM
    Now that I finally had a chance to see the launch event, my opinion is as follows.

John Chen is not built for the stage. He said himself he is not an actor. He is, however, very funny.

Jeff Gadway was awesome. I am very proud of him. He was definitely the star of the show.

The third guy that spoke.. about apps.. Ive never heard of him before so I already forgot his name. You could tell he was very very nervous and I dont think has the proper qualities to be a presenter. You could tell he was very script focussed and wasnt able to ad lib where it would have been more approriate and natural sounding. Maybe with some more confidence and practice.

BlackBerry doesnt exactly have money to waste on big lavish presentations.

I felt that they did a decently good job highlighting their product strengths, especially with the side by side comparisons and with the presentation as a whole.
    09-25-14 04:21 PM
    Something else I just thought of. They were touting this phone as being for the business world, the enterprise, yet when Chen (?) said apps are available either through BB World or Amazon, he mentioned Candy Crush and some other game that really are for kids. I just don't get it.
    09-25-14 04:31 PM
    ...they can still be professional and pay great attention to detail and rehearse their major presentations such that it doesn't feel like they just rolled out bed and winged it.
    Bravo.
    09-25-14 04:34 PM
    Nxt release they can find a perfect presenter and likely won't have to break the bank.
    Someone who's passionate about BlackBerry as anyone we know, had a crap tonne of devices and well even started up a website a few years back.

You want passion!? Marketing skills? People with experience doing reviews etc?
    Throw the CB exec team a few devices, bring this crew up on stage and and see some real excitement.

I found Kevin's podcast of the release more engaging than that launch.

I vote for Kevin to lead the next launch!

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    andy957 likes this.
    09-25-14 04:38 PM
    just double checked the replay. I was right. Gadway did drop a b*ll*ck in the presentation. 50mins, 50 secs in roughly when he summarises the specs. 4GB he says. Not very proffessional imho to get your product data wrong. ooops.
    09-25-14 05:03 PM
    It's evident that Chen's forte is not public speaking. He's a strong financial strategist...which is the main reason why he's been brought into turn BlackBerry around. It's good that he's making it clear as to the expenses associated with giving away devices, etc...since it is a public company...and share holders need to be aware. That being said...the other guys did a solid job! Overall...not bad...but not "wow"!

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 06:56 PM
    I seem to be the only one here who thought Chen was really good.

Saw Thor present the BB10 launch - now THAT was cringeworthy. The guy had the charisma of a boulder.

Chen makes me laugh. Not just me either - heard a lot of laughter from the crowd. There were moments when I thought "did he really just say that in a product launch?!", but although on the face of it that could seem counter-productive, I think it puts us on his side.

Everyone is welcome to disagree with me!

Posted via CB10
    I totally agree with your post. There is something very honest about John Chen. He definitely attracts people and I too like his humor.

I felt the presentation was very business like. They geared it towards their key audience. I felt they did a good job.

Heinz was a train wreck. He tried to hit the business and consumer market which ended up being DOA I thought. When he tried to be funny it was really bad.

What about Bla1ze! Not a good representation of Crackberry. He seemed to be on something. Why were the Crackberry team not dressed appropriately? Everyone there were in suits. At least Crackberry Kevin would have been in a sports jacket, no baseball cap and with a passionate attitude. The new crew has to do better than that. Kevin should have a chat with them.

My opinion.

Big Brother Hoards Your Data, stop the hoarding.
    09-25-14 07:37 PM
    At one point one of the presenters mentioned that the whole thing was at a sports bar. I find that odd to have it there
    09-25-14 07:59 PM
    Omg REALLY people!!! I bet half of you guys could of done a better job! Whatever JC did his thing!!!! #motivation #back2black
    09-25-14 08:23 PM
    once he warmed up Jeff Gadway was ok, but to be honest, judging this from the perspective of an It Consultant who has to deliver presentations, all of them did appear inexperienced and nervous initially.

The presentation content itself was top notch though, and Jeff Gadway strikes me as someone who probably needed more rehearsal or maybe just more experience. I'm not sure how many times he's faced a large public audience. Kudos though, nerves show you care, rather than being a cocky arrogant fool, and he got up to speed and made his points very well. The comparisons to the iphone 6 were very well constructed, and he certainly made Apple look pretty inferior in those 5 minutes.

One criticism - was it just me mishearing, or did he say the passport had 4gb of RAM? Slides and everything I know says 3?
    Yeah he did mention 4GB,i caught that right away yet was hoping that maybe, 1GB was reserved for system memory before the rest was shared with apps or praying something like that.

All in all his presentation points where sound. I'd say the delivery may have had something to do with the environment - not a hall but a traditional open aired stage maybe?

Where exactly was this event held - and don't say Toronto I live here but where what venue??

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    09-25-14 08:49 PM
    Yeah he did mention 4GB,i caught that right away yet was hoping that maybe, 1GB was reserved for system memory before the rest was shared with apps or praying something like that.

All in all his presentation points where sound. I'd say the delivery may have had something to do with the environment - not a hall but a traditional open aired stage maybe?

Where exactly was this event held - and don't say Toronto I live here but where what venue??

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    Real Sports Bar. It's close to the ACC I think.
    09-25-14 09:05 PM
97 1234