As much as I absolutely love Passport, and that I think it's BY FAR the BEST device out of BB over the past few years, I feel like the 1:1 screen and the extra width MAY limit the audience, and may make it harder to use for some...

I really love the form factor, I think a large screen, with a small keyboard the way it's done is an absolutely a genius solution... but, WHAT IF, the screen was 4:3 instead of 1:1? Do you guys think that was even an option? I think it would have made the landscape more suited for movie watching, might have fit some of the Android apps better with less scaling, and it also could have made the device not as wide.

Any thoughts?

PS. I am still gonna get the Passport... it's IMO, the BEST device across all platforms today, PERIOD!
    ami.one likes this.
    09-25-14 01:13 PM
    I was actually hoping that it came with a 4:3 months ago. This ratio will help with android apps as they have been coded to support this.

It was not ment to be but I'm still buying the passport nonetheless and from my brief testing I'm gonna love it.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:21 PM
    I'm sure the idea was tossed around.
    They went with the 1:1 because this phone is about productivity. Media consumption is typically unproductive.
    09-25-14 01:22 PM
    I was actually hoping that it came with a 4:3 months ago. This ratio will help with android apps as they have been coded to support this.

It was not ment to be but I'm still buying the passport nonetheless and from my brief testing I'm gonna love it.

Posted via CB10
    If you end up with an app that doesn't scale properly, swipe down within the app and tap zoom out. This will force close the app. After so reopen the app and boom you've got a pretty looking app

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 01:28 PM
    Unless they were to make the device even wider, viewing movies would be the same, just with slightly smaller black bars above and below if the aspect ratio were 4:3. Of course they could make the device shorter, but then it would be an almost perfect square, which would be even more weird and awkward.

Most videos and movies these days are wide screen anyways. As for Android apps, the Android player now has a new scaling feature which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Hopefully someone else who has tried it will be able to chime in.
    ami.one likes this.
    09-25-14 01:40 PM
    Unless they were to make the device even wider, viewing movies would be the same, just with smaller black bars above and below. As for Android apps, the Android player now has a new scaling feature which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Hopefully someone else who has tried it will be able to chime in.
    I tested the scaling feature just now and it's pretty damn awesome.

Posted via CB10
    Masahiro likes this.
    09-25-14 01:41 PM
    I tested the scaling feature just now and it's pretty damn awesome.

Posted via CB10
    How does it work exactly? I saw this video from N4BB video from N4BB showing a demo of the app player running Flipboard:

After the app restarted, it looked completely different, but still 1:1. I'm confused.
    09-25-14 02:09 PM
    Unless they were to make the device even wider, viewing movies would be the same, just with slightly smaller black bars above and below if the aspect ratio were 4:3. Of course they could make the device shorter, but then it would be an almost perfect square, which would be even more weird and awkward.

Most videos and movies these days are wide screen anyways. As for Android apps, the Android player now has a new scaling feature which I haven't had a chance to try yet. Hopefully someone else who has tried it will be able to chime in.
    How could it be wider? It'd be 3:4 screen (3 across, 4 height), with added keyboard underneath, getting it close to an overall 16:9 or 15:9 aspect ratio for the whole device. So, then if you turn the phone around, you'd get the same aspect ratio as you do on an iPad... which would make it work better for videos (less black bar), as well as Android apps needing wider/4:3 aspect in landscape mode.
    09-25-14 02:19 PM
    A 4:3 or 16:9 screen with physical keyboard is all I've ever wanted... don't want this 1:1 ratio business...

kedi likes this.
    09-25-14 02:23 PM
    I still think that the perfect sister phone to the Passport would be an all touchscreen Passport variant.

Posted via CB10 on VZW BlackBerry Z30
    stabstabdie likes this.
    09-25-14 02:31 PM
    I would try it first before wishing it had a different ratio, you may surprise yourself.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 02:31 PM
    Yep Z10 with the added physical kb.
    09-25-14 02:32 PM
    The trouble is that the more screen ratios they do, the harder it gets for developers to keep up.

It looks like there will be a 16:9 phone with that collapsible keyboard that we saw last week in patent drawings, but adding a 4:3 screen ratio into the mix? No thanks.
    09-25-14 02:46 PM
    How could it be wider? It'd be 3:4 screen (3 across, 4 height), with added keyboard underneath, getting it close to an overall 16:9 or 15:9 aspect ratio for the whole device. So, then if you turn the phone around, you'd get the same aspect ratio as you do on an iPad... which would make it work better for videos (less black bar), as well as Android apps needing wider/4:3 aspect in landscape mode.
    Ah, I thought you were referencing the older BlackBerry models with the wider screens. Personally, while watching videos on a full-touch device was great, I found it really annoying to have to constantly rotate the device in order to watch a video, especially if it's a short clip of something. I am nitpicking though, but like I said, it is a pet peeve of mine.
    09-25-14 02:59 PM
    Ah, I thought you were referencing the older BlackBerry models with the wider screens. Personally, while watching videos on a full-touch device was great, I found it really annoying to have to constantly rotate the device in order to watch a video, especially if it's a short clip of something. I am nitpicking though, but like I said, it is a pet peeve of mine.
    I'm actually with you on that all the way. One of my favorite things about both my 9900 and my Q10 was never having to change orientation.

And I know that sounds like a small thing but it makes a surprisingly big difference.

Posted via CB10
    Masahiro likes this.
    09-25-14 10:55 PM
    I think the idea of 1:1 is great, love this device more and more each day!
    09-25-14 11:05 PM
    Anyone try the zoom feature with instagram?
    09-25-14 11:11 PM
    They intentionally made it wide so you can see more. Haven't you seen any of the marketing and PR about it?

The Classic should be closer to the size you're asking for.
    09-25-14 11:32 PM
    Do google apps like maps etc work fine on 1:1 screen?
    How about games loaded from Amazon store? how do they scale?
    09-25-14 11:37 PM
    I am fine with the 1:1 screen ratio, But release the same BlackBerry Passport Witb same specs in Android.
    I don't care if there are Black bars while watching videos!

Or at least release BlackBerry Passport With 4:3 screen ratio with same specs and better battery life.
    05-24-17 09:04 AM
    A 4:3 or 16:9 screen with physical keyboard is all I've ever wanted... don't want this 1:1 ratio business...

http://i.imgur.com/78ntl98.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/70zIhAh.jpg
    Eh from 2014
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-24-17 09:20 AM
    I went with a Mate 9 to get the width. It is nice, but find myself missing the pkb

Probably as close to a vkb Passport as we will see
    05-24-17 10:37 AM
    I 'designed' this one »» 4:3

What if Passport was 4:3 instead of 1:1?-newpassportlikebb.png

Posted via CB10
    ObiGeorge likes this.
    05-24-17 11:23 AM
    Eh from 2014
    What are you trying to say Mr. Moderator?

That I got my wish now? Lol
    Uzi likes this.
    05-27-17 12:14 PM
    If that Passport existed and it had replaceable battery and it ran BB10, I would buy 2x tomorrow. But as it doesn't I will buy another NOS PPOG!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-17 12:31 PM
33 12