Lol who cares about a SlabBerry? Who really wants one? A couple thousand people?

That's not really what the BBMo brand is about, given the abysmal failure of the Motion.
    Currently they do not but I expect that the prospect of a “premium” TCL made VKB was a motivating factor when they decided to add BlackBerry to their house of brands.
    01-22-19 11:29 PM
    Great ... citation please.
    https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/08/t...kberry-growth/
    01-22-19 11:30 PM
    This is what he said:

“Half of the users on BlackBerry today are existing users, so they will be using a Classic, Passport or Priv already for years,” he says. “The other half obviously don’t come from BlackBerry, the majority of which are what we call ‘regretful abandoners.’” Essentially, this latter group is made up mostly of defectors, users who had owned a BlackBerry at some point in the past but had since moved on to other platforms”

So basically 100 percent BBmo customers are former BlackBerry owners.

If you add up all of BBmo statements, I think there is a good dose of corporate spin.
    01-22-19 11:54 PM
    This is what he said:

“Half of the users on BlackBerry today are existing users, so they will be using a Classic, Passport or Priv already for years,” he says. “The other half obviously don’t come from BlackBerry, the majority of which are what we call ‘regretful abandoners.’” Essentially, this latter group is made up mostly of defectors, users who had owned a BlackBerry at some point in the past but had since moved on to other platforms”

So basically 100 percent BBmo customers are former BlackBerry owners.

If you add up all of BBmo statements, I think there is a good dose of corporate spin.
    Your quote was:

"BBMo says that 85 percent of buyers are CURRENT Android BB buyers."

My quote was:

"Mathieu said that overall, 50% of their current customers are coming DIRECTLY from another BlackBerry device, and the other 50% are NOT."

My statement is accurate.
    Last edited by conite; 01-23-19 at 06:32 AM.
    01-23-19 12:15 AM
    The passport design can only work if the phone is all screen with no physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-19 01:58 AM
    The passport design can only work if the phone is all screen with no physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I'll pass lol
    01-23-19 08:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    What about a slider keyboard like the Priv? Only not mushy and cramped. But that would allow it to be all screen see, nothing is impossible, lol

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    01-23-19 09:02 AM
    Your quote was:

"BBMo says that 85 percent of buyers are CURRENT Android BB buyers."

My quote was:

"Mathieu said that overall, 50% of their current customers are coming DIRECTLY from another BlackBerry device, and the other 50% are NOT."

My statement is accurate.
    The quote is :

He shared some interesting statistics. BlackBerry has become a very sticky company, in that 80 to 85-percent of people who have bought a new BlackBerry phone with Android will upgrade to another BlackBerry phone.

So it appears that current Key one owners are upgrading and new Key owners are former legacy owners or recent BlackBerry owners .

The challenge going forward is to market devices to those who have never used a BlackBerry.
    01-23-19 10:42 AM
    The quote is :

He shared some interesting statistics. BlackBerry has become a very sticky company, in that 80 to 85-percent of people who have bought a new BlackBerry phone with Android will upgrade to another BlackBerry phone.

So it appears that current Key one owners are upgrading and new Key owners are former legacy owners or recent BlackBerry owners .

The challenge going forward is to market devices to those who have never used a BlackBerry.
    I see it as once BBMo has them as a customer, they will, in most likelihood (85%) stay with the brand. But overall, 50% of customers are still coming from non-BB devices.
    01-23-19 10:45 AM
    I see it as once BBMo has them as a customer, they will, in most likelihood (85%) stay with the brand. But overall, 50% of customers are still coming from non-BB devices.
    Ok but those Key 2 buyers whose last device was an iPhone likely had a BackBerry in their recent past. They are coming back to a PKB.

At the end of the day, getting someone who has never owned a BlackBerry to buy one now will be a difficult task.

Perhaps TCL has decided that BlackBerry will not be their premium VKB brand after all .
    01-23-19 11:19 AM
    Ok but those Key 2 buyers whose last device was an iPhone likely had a BackBerry in their recent past. They are coming back to a PKB.

At the end of the day, getting someone who has never owned a BlackBerry to buy one now will be a difficult task.

Perhaps TCL has decided that BlackBerry will not be their premium VKB brand after all .
    I would imagine that they feel their primary market is the 80 million prior BlackBerry owners. Of that I will agree.
    01-23-19 11:22 AM
    Yes they might...

They seem to have this dream that BlackBerry can capture 5 to 10 percent of the Nigerian market. Just a dream .

At least BBMo is trying to keep the essence of BlackBerry alive. Folks sitting on the sidelines with their BB10 devices should be buying the LE . It is a good value proposition.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-23-19 at 01:01 PM.
    01-23-19 12:13 PM
    I'll definitely by it!
    But it need to have identical design or as close as possible!

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    01-23-19 01:24 PM
    Yes, it's unlikely, but if BlackBerry listened to their fan base AND could make it work with Android OS, how might they pull it off and what would you like to see on it? Would you like it much like the original Passport or pretty different?

I'll begin, I want the same body type, the same size as the Passport. I think that's what makes this device unique. I want it durable and able to go without a case like the original Passport. I also love the wideness of the Passport, and I know that's what makes it unlikely we see another one because of the aspect ratio, but assuming someone smarter than us could figure out how to make it work, I would love it if it was the very same shape and size.

I also want the physical keyboard. I can't give it up - I've tried. But I would also like more screen real estate (I mean who wouldn't), so a slider keyboard like the Priv that retracts into the device would be great, but it has to be a quality keyboard, unlike the Priv which was mushy and cramped. I would love the same style and quality keyboard we have now.

In regards to specs, I'm not that picky I guess. Make it competitive at least.

Yes, it would be tough to lose BB10, but if we could get this form factor, this keyboard and new software, I'd gladly pay $600-$700 for it.

Agree? Can we start a petition? What would be your new Passport?

Posted via CB10
    I would buy one in a heartbeat also. However, I would make the screen bigger to match androids specs. But have the same size keyboard as the passport. And if marketed to the business community as the worlds first 2 hand business tool like it once was, it would be a winner. People today want bigger, majority of ALL people use 2 hands when texting. The passport was the quickest and easiest and most precise keyboard. I’ve been trying to replace my passport and there is NOTHING in the market that is better, NOT the key 1 or 2, NOT Apple nor Android phones compare. I am stuck right now looking to spend my money with NOTHiNG to purchase
    01-28-19 06:00 PM
    I would buy one in a heartbeat also. However, I would make the screen bigger to match androids specs. But have the same size keyboard as the passport. And if marketed to the business community as the worlds first 2 hand business tool like it once was, it would be a winner. People today want bigger, majority of ALL people use 2 hands when texting. The passport was the quickest and easiest and most precise keyboard. I’ve been trying to replace my passport and there is NOTHING in the market that is better, NOT the key 1 or 2, NOT Apple nor Android phones compare. I am stuck right now looking to spend my money with NOTHiNG to purchase
    I'm right with ya! Passport 2 needs to happen!

Cheers

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) and dmlis like this.
    01-28-19 08:49 PM
    I would consider a full Android Passport-like form factor.

Mind you, I just went to a Key2 with 6G of main memory. I'm very happy with it as a device - speedy and great battery life.
    For me the next device is 2 years away. However, if there were a Passport-like device available at that point I would consider it, for sure.
    ratfinkstooley and dmlis like this.
    01-29-19 10:25 AM
    Here's a crazy thought. how about making something that has the width of the blackberry and the height of something like the Note 9? Call it the BlackBerry Pro or something. I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't end up with the 1:1 ratio and yet would keep the keyboard
    ratfinkstooley likes this.
    01-29-19 10:46 AM
    Here's a crazy thought. how about making something that has the width of the blackberry and the height of something like the Note 9? Call it the BlackBerry Pro or something. I'm reasonably sure it wouldn't end up with the 1:1 ratio and yet would keep the keyboard
    Yes! Let's think outside the box. A new wide keyboard BlackBerry device can happen again...

Until then, Passport R Us

Posted via CB10
    01-29-19 11:02 AM
    Well that would be a real long device!(and personally need to see how tall and is acceptable or not)
    I prefer they go by 3:2 or either 3:4(maybe it was 4:5) so it wouldn't go against android idiotic aspect ratio limit!

01-30-19 12:33 AM
    Well that would be a real long device!(and personally need to see how tall and is acceptable or not)
    I prefer they go by 3:2 or either 3:4(maybe it was 4:5) so it wouldn't go against android idiotic aspect ratio limit!

It's not "Android idiotic aspect ratio" but more "developers are lazy to re-design all their apps for a 1:1 screen size when everything is 16:9 - 19:9"
    02-01-19 03:46 PM
    It's not "Android idiotic aspect ratio" but more "developers are lazy to re-design all their apps for a 1:1 screen size when everything is 16:9 - 19:9"
    While I agree with you but it is not a major redesign cause most of it can be taken care by OS himself!
    Also apart from dev being lazy the Google rule after android 5 there is no allowance for any thing out of 1.33 up to 2.0(you can achieve this numbers by dividing length on width of screen pixels) or so no dev would want to do so!

02-02-19 02:30 AM
    In response to the OPs hypothetical question: I wouldn't want it any bigger than the original passport. I'd also like it if the keyboard could be sized to include Alt, Shift and Symbol keys. Even then I still wouldn't be sure if I'd go for it because it's an awkward shape to hold single handedly. I loved my Passport but the size and shape of it sometimes annoyed me.
    02-02-19 04:38 AM
47 12