Yes, it's unlikely, but if BlackBerry listened to their fan base AND could make it work with Android OS, how might they pull it off and what would you like to see on it? Would you like it much like the original Passport or pretty different?

I'll begin, I want the same body type, the same size as the Passport. I think that's what makes this device unique. I want it durable and able to go without a case like the original Passport. I also love the wideness of the Passport, and I know that's what makes it unlikely we see another one because of the aspect ratio, but assuming someone smarter than us could figure out how to make it work, I would love it if it was the very same shape and size.

I also want the physical keyboard. I can't give it up - I've tried. But I would also like more screen real estate (I mean who wouldn't), so a slider keyboard like the Priv that retracts into the device would be great, but it has to be a quality keyboard, unlike the Priv which was mushy and cramped. I would love the same style and quality keyboard we have now.

In regards to specs, I'm not that picky I guess. Make it competitive at least.

Yes, it would be tough to lose BB10, but if we could get this form factor, this keyboard and new software, I'd gladly pay $600-$700 for it.

Agree? Can we start a petition? What would be your new Passport?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-19 08:23 PM
    if BlackBerry listened to their fan base AND could make it work with Android OS...
    What data do you have on the "fan base"?

1:1 aspect ratio is not permitted by Google.
    01-20-19 09:17 PM
    Yes, it's unlikely, but if BlackBerry listened to their fan base AND could make it work with Android OS, how might they pull it off and what would you like to see on it? Would you like it much like the original Passport or pretty different?

I'll begin, I want the same body type, the same size as the Passport. I think that's what makes this device unique. I want it durable and able to go without a case like the original Passport. I also love the wideness of the Passport, and I know that's what makes it unlikely we see another one because of the aspect ratio, but assuming someone smarter than us could figure out how to make it work, I would love it if it was the very same shape and size.

I also want the physical keyboard. I can't give it up - I've tried. But I would also like more screen real estate (I mean who wouldn't), so a slider keyboard like the Priv that retracts into the device would be great, but it has to be a quality keyboard, unlike the Priv which was mushy and cramped. I would love the same style and quality keyboard we have now.

In regards to specs, I'm not that picky I guess. Make it competitive at least.

Yes, it would be tough to lose BB10, but if we could get this form factor, this keyboard and new software, I'd gladly pay $600-$700 for it.

Agree? Can we start a petition? What would be your new Passport?

Posted via CB10
    BBMo/TCL listened to fan base with the actual sales data and research from BB when it licensed everything. All PKB hardware was four row except for Passport so it’s nowhere close to speaking for the so called fan base...
    01-20-19 09:59 PM
    If the Passport would have worked on Android, it would have been the first GooBerry.
    Tim-ANC, Jake2826, john_v and 3 others like this.
    01-20-19 10:56 PM
    Samsung's new foldable phone concept is at 1 to 1 ratio. Apps would be supported. Passport was just too ahead of the curve in innovation for apps at the time to invest in the for that ratio.
    Simon6333 and raseru03 like this.
    01-21-19 11:04 AM
    Yes, it's unlikely, but if BlackBerry listened to their fan base AND could make it work with Android OS, how might they pull it off and what would you like to see on it?
    You know that "if" is impossibly big, you might as well have asked what it would look like if everyone had three heads.
    john_v likes this.
    01-21-19 11:13 AM
    Samsung's new foldable phone concept is at 1 to 1 ratio.
    No it's not. It's 4x3, the same as most tablets.
    01-21-19 11:19 AM
    Samsung's new foldable phone concept is at 1 to 1 ratio. Apps would be supported. Passport was just too ahead of the curve in innovation for apps at the time to invest in the for that ratio.
    Eh? Doesn't say anything about 1:1 ratio.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...-phone-863883/
    01-21-19 11:34 AM
    The Passport was boldly different. The looks and comments I get are hilarious. Some mockery and even more intrigue. It makes people take notice. It made me leave iOS and Android and come back to BlackBerry for 4 years.

Yes, I agree with all of you. BBOS is dead, the Passport 2 is a pipe dream and the best we have going forward is the Key2 or Key3 or whatever is next, but we can dream, right? BlackBerry isn't going to capture people like me who are hanging onto the Passport with a poor attempt at 2012 physical keyboards with Android software. I'll take the Samsung Note over the Key2. At least it has the S Pen. That's something different and innovative.

They're losing anyways,why not take a risk and give us the Passport 2 or something different from the glass slabs everyone else has? Try something bold like they did in 2014 with the Passport. Put them back on the map...

I can only imagine the comments people had when the Passport was pitched as an idea. The risk takers might get laughed out of the room or they might change the world, but where would we be without people like that?

Otherwise, more glass slabs, increasingly bigger devices with better cameras and more storage, and zero innovation. Yay! Some tongue in cheek with these posts...

Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Jake2826 and cbosdell like this.
    01-21-19 12:55 PM
    I just want a KEY3/LE...
    AmritD likes this.
    01-21-19 04:00 PM
    I just want a KEY3/LE...
    Maybe you need to purchase a few more LE's to ensure that there is a 3. Consider, the more phones you have, the more you can comment on the BB10 forums with unrelated posts.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-19 04:17 PM
    Maybe you need to purchase a few more LE's to ensure that there is a 3. Consider, the more phones you have, the more you can comment on the BB10 forums with unrelated posts.

Posted via CB10
    How’s this unrelated? OP was about BBMobile producing another Passport. The only license BBMobile owns is for BBAndroid related hardware. Since BB10 is EOL anyways, how does BBMobile creating another Passport end up in BB10 thread anyways?
    01-22-19 01:14 PM
    How’s this unrelated?

As a famous doctor once stated; "Surely you cannot be serious?"

Since BB10 is EOL anyways, how does BBMobile creating another Passport end up in BB10 thread anyways?

Where would you suggest this post be moved to?

Posted via CB10
    01-22-19 02:02 PM
    As a famous doctor once stated; "Surely you cannot be serious?"

Where would you suggest this post be moved to?

Posted via CB10
    Since title and OP is about BBMobile producing a Passport with Android, then I suppose it belonged in BBAndroid however I’m ok with it here. I don’t limit my posts...
    01-22-19 02:05 PM
    Yes BBMo could a taller Passport . Not that much taller either. The potential buyers come from only one pool. Addition and subtraction from the same pool of buyer. A PRIV 2 might increase the pool .

No, Conite I have no supporting data other than BBmo says that 85 percent of buyers are current Android BB buyers.

Back in the day, Marty Brand said that BBmo had its own data that suggested that Enterprise might buy a PKB BlackBerry. BlackBerry itself did not have the same level of confidence.
    01-22-19 02:45 PM

BBmo says that 85 percent of buyers are current Android BB buyers.
    Can you do me a favour and hook me up with a link to this info?

Mahieu said this:

"Half (50%) of the users on BBMo today are existing users, so they will be using a Classic, Passport or Priv already for years,” he says. “The other half obviously don’t come from BlackBerry, the majority of which are what we call ‘regretful abandoners.’ "

He also said:

"the ratio is 60 percent consumer to 40 percent business"
    Last edited by conite; 01-22-19 at 04:13 PM.
    01-22-19 04:02 PM
    Yes. Yes.....an updated bb10 (64bit) on the 64bit QNX platform sporting an android 9 sandbox....now that would be awesome!!!! (and we can keep the OP in the bb10 forum)
    Now, can anyone hook John Chen up with a billion dollars....apparantly that's what he wants/needs to kickstart this........well for sure that is one heck of a kick start.
    If you elect me Prime minister of Canada I will dollar match private capital fund raising, get that dude Premier Ford to kick in a few pennies as well....heck lets get that guy from Quebec to make this an election promise.....the people's party of Canada or something. I mean it will only be a dollar a day for a month or so for every resident to get this started. Make Our Blackberry Great Again! #MOBGA
    01-22-19 05:14 PM
    Yes. Yes.....an updated bb10 (64bit) on the 64bit QNX platform sporting an android 9 sandbox....now that would be awesome!!!! (and we can keep the OP in the bb10 forum)
    Now, can anyone hook John Chen up with a billion dollars....apparantly that's what he wants/needs to kickstart this........well for sure that is one heck of a kick start.
    If you elect me Prime minister of Canada I will dollar match private capital fund raising, get that dude Premier Ford to kick in a few pennies as well....heck lets get that guy from Quebec to make this an election promise.....the people's party of Canada or something. I mean it will only be a dollar a day for a month or so for every resident to get this started. Make Our Blackberry Great Again! #MOBGA
    John Chen only wants you to license BB11 and then assume the operating risk. It would be cheaper and easier to just build the BB11 then retro update BB10 for 2019 standards both hardware and software.
    01-22-19 05:40 PM
    Can you do me a favour and hook me up with a link to this info?

Mahieu said this:

"Half (50%) of the users on BBMo today are existing users, so they will be using a Classic, Passport or Priv already for years,” he says. “The other half obviously don’t come from BlackBerry, the majority of which are what we call ‘regretful abandoners.’ "

He also said:

"the ratio is 60 percent consumer to 40 percent business"
    I think that comment was made at CES 2018.

Recent:

“He shared some interesting statistics. BlackBerry has become a very sticky company, in that 80 to 85-percent of people who have bought a new BlackBerry phone with Android will upgrade to another BlackBerry phone.”

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...2019-ces-2019/
    01-22-19 06:20 PM
    I think that comment was made at CES 2018.

Recent:

“He shared some interesting statistics. BlackBerry has become a very sticky company, in that 80 to 85-percent of people who have bought a new BlackBerry phone with Android will upgrade to another BlackBerry phone.”

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...2019-ces-2019/
    OK. Well that's a different stat.

Mathieu said that overall, 50% of their current customers are coming directly from another BlackBerry device, and the other 50% are not.
    01-22-19 06:29 PM
    OK. Well that's a different stat.

Mathieu said that overall, 50% of their current customers are coming directly from another BlackBerry device, and the other 50% are not.
    That quote dates back to a time when the KEYone was fairly new . The 50% not coming directly from BlackBerry were for the most part recent BlackBerry users. Perhaps they had a 9900 or Q10 for example and they had another device or two before coming back.

I have asked carrier sales reps in Canada and they tell me that the Key2 and LE are being purchased by current or former BB owners.

The main issue for BB in the USA is that BlackBerry lost its lustre before BB10. The other issue is that Businesses in the USA wanting to do business with their government are unlikely to buy a Chinese phone.

People here think that BBMo knows what they are doing but even BBmo have admitted that their projections were too optimistic. The BlackBerry tax is too high to support a competitive VKB and that is the only type of device that consumers want above apart from their loyal base.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-22-19 at 08:59 PM.
    01-22-19 08:12 PM
    The BlackBerry tax is too high to support a competitive VKB and that is the only type of device that consumers want above apart from their loyal base.
    Lol who cares about a SlabBerry? Who really wants one? A couple thousand people?

That's not really what the BBMo brand is about, given the abysmal failure of the Motion.
    01-22-19 10:58 PM
    That quote dates back to a time when the KEYone was fairly new.
    The quote is from 2 weeks ago.
    01-22-19 11:11 PM
    Lol who cares about a SlabBerry? Who really wants one? A couple thousand people?

That's not really what the BBMo brand is about, given the abysmal failure of the Motion.
    BBMo isn't the only licensee.

Problem with a Passport is it's a subset of a subset, even if it did work, and suggesting a format change I find odd. Only the bag phone more clearly defined its form factor.
    01-22-19 11:17 PM
    The quote is from 2 weeks ago.
    Great ... citation please.
    01-22-19 11:26 PM
47 12