So how did this happen??

There is definitely a way that it can be done, how can you be so sure?

Pp SE
    its a proof on concept and testing. Its not hard to load android on to any device really. Its a whole other thing to release it to the wild and tell consumers to download 2 GB file and total wipe their device and many of the previous programs you purchased wont work etc etc. Its a tech support nightmare
    10-14-15 09:12 AM
    You are not speaking for me that I am not speaking for you
    So you are assuming you know most people in the U.S. and you speak for them? I paid cash for my Passport from a friend in Canada. Please, speak for yourself and use educated statements built on facts not assumptions. Thank you.
    Paraliotis3 likes this.
    10-14-15 12:39 PM
    its a proof on concept and testing. Its not hard to load android on to any device really. Its a whole other thing to release it to the wild and tell consumers to download 2 GB file and total wipe their device and many of the previous programs you purchased wont work etc etc. Its a tech support nightmare
    I thought BlackBerry had to do something with the chip drivers etc. Is it just that easy to load up Android on a BB10 device?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 12:41 PM
    I know next to nothing about Android, and was hoping I wouldn't have to learn anything about it. Looks as though I will.

But tell me, someone, is Android configured or uniquely designed for each device? Once Android is installed, can you keep upgrading it or do you have to wait until the manufacturer of the device issues the upgrade? If you have Lollipop installed, can you upgrade to Marshmallow?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 07:00 PM
    I thought BlackBerry had to do something with the chip drivers etc. Is it just that easy to load up Android on a BB10 device?

Posted via CB10
    all that would be done since the internals are similar to many androids out there. It would be very easy to do.
    10-14-15 07:20 PM
    all that would be done since the internals are similar to many androids out there. It would be very easy to do.
    Then they should offer an Android Classic and Passport.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 07:50 PM
    Not including the capacitive touch layer of the keyboard. I can guarantee you full keyboard functionality would not work if you flashed an Android build on your Passport.
    10-14-15 07:53 PM
    Not including the capacitive touch layer of the keyboard. I can guarantee you full keyboard functionality would not work if you flashed an Android build on your Passport.
    sure they would have to do some changes to code to make it work to its fullest. But it wouldnt be a huge amount of work
    10-14-15 08:23 PM
    Selling everything but the Leap, that cheap little warrior will be the LEM in my Apollo 13!

Posted via CB10
    10-14-15 10:40 PM
    Selling everything but the Leap, that cheap little warrior will be the LEM in my Apollo 13!

Posted via CB10
    Why? What a stupid decision. No need to panic.
    10-15-15 08:34 PM
    I have a passport and a samsung android tablet. I got so frustrated with the android tablet trying to get things to work like outlook cal, WiFi to my television etc. So pissed was I that I just bought a apple air tablet. Wow, everything works seamlessly and I mean everything.

I really question this love with Android. It sucks.

I just hope that BlackBerry continues to support BB10. It is no doubt the best operating system out there. If it is gone, Apple here I come.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 02:04 AM
    You know, I think there's a bit of hysteria around the perceived death of BB10. I think it has been said rather well by some people that even if BB10 were dropped today, your device would still function well for an extended period of time.

Case in point: I have a Playbook that I still use regularly. It is great for recording voice and video, which is what I primarily use it for now.
    It's also very good for reading, as it's not as heavy as my iPad. Mind you, Kobo on my Classic is working really well for me and is starting to replace the Playbook.

I have a Classic on a 2 year contract: with what I use the phone for and the apps I have available I would be ok if the OS didn't receive another update. If I had purchased a Passport, I would still be fine.
    10-16-15 09:33 AM
    You know, I think there's a bit of hysteria around the perceived death of BB10. I think it has been said rather well by some people that even if BB10 were dropped today, your device would still function well for an extended period of time.

Case in point: I have a Playbook that I still use regularly. It is great for recording voice and video, which is what I primarily use it for now.
    It's also very good for reading, as it's not as heavy as my iPad. Mind you, Kobo on my Classic is working really well for me and is starting to replace the Playbook.

I have a Classic on a 2 year contract: with what I use the phone for and the apps I have available I would be ok if the OS didn't receive another update. If I had purchased a Passport, I would still be fine.
    10-16-15 09:46 AM
    OP - it's been declared immediately obsolete and outdated. If you'd like, I'd give you $50 for your passport just because I'm a nice guy....

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    10-16-15 09:48 AM
    My concern is not that the current Passport would become instantly useless because of the PRIV. My concern is moving forward would Blackberry allow for an Android update for existing Passport owners or sell them a new Passport with Android on it? I know that just like OS7, BB10 will continue to function just in limbo and without any new features being added. I do think that BB10 users should atleast be concerned about not having access to the latest features a company might have to offer?
    10-16-15 09:16 PM
    How much would you pay for a Passport Silver Edition? I'm wanting to get one but am waiting for the price to drop.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 09:47 PM
    If I can get back $600 from my SE right now as it is sitting dormant (Leap is more than enough) I will, it's the bottom line. I bought into BB10 with the "let's build it" mantra... but with even core hub "hyperconnectivity" apps showing abandoned active development I have to call it.

It won't be the end of the phone itself, will keep the Leap as a foot back in the BB10 door.

Will get the Priv and try hard to limit as many Google Apps as effing possible.. the Samsung Tab S I had was very angry at me for that.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 10:42 PM
    Hey...I'll up that to $55...I could use a nice bedside clock...

OP - it's been declared immediately obsolete and outdated. If you'd like, I'd give you $50 for your passport just because I'm a nice guy....

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Show me where it is written

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to describe my passport
    10-17-15 09:44 AM
    How much would you pay for a Passport Silver Edition? I'm wanting to get one but am waiting for the price to drop.

Posted via CB10
    I'm also eyeing the white version

10-17-15 09:46 AM
    Show me where it is written

What is written?

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 04:22 PM
    My concern is not that the current Passport would become instantly useless because of the PRIV. My concern is moving forward would Blackberry allow for an Android update for existing Passport owners or sell them a new Passport with Android on it? I know that just like OS7, BB10 will continue to function just in limbo and without any new features being added. I do think that BB10 users should atleast be concerned about not having access to the latest features a company might have to offer?
    If you do not know what to do with it I am here open to receive your passport!!
    I am an Z10 owner dude you have the best phone on market are you serious??? #gigs of ram keyboard ou lala and screen better than Iphone 6 !
    Dont be afraid of anything , I would love to be you now!!!
    guys I thing that blackberry claymed that it will be an update next year 10.3.3 right??? on BB 10 devices?
    10-18-15 04:59 PM
    I don't believe the drop of support for bb10 will be sudden. I do believe the android runtime will not be updated. With that, there will be inexorable loss of support for updated android apps. The Passport will not have a lengthy lifespan as as consequence...
    Last edited by patapoof; 10-18-15 at 05:39 PM.
    10-18-15 05:23 PM
    I don't believe the drop of support for bb10 will be sudden. I do believe the android runtime will not be updated. With that, there will be inexorable loss o support for updated android apps. The Passport will not have a lengthy lifespan as as consequence...
    That much is already happening.
    10-18-15 05:35 PM
    Let's face it: 5 million Privs are unlikely to happen unless they manage to strike deals with a lot of major companies. Most current Android handset makers can only dream of such numbers :-/ this would mean Blackberry will leave the handset business altogether.

Time, again, isn't on Blackberrys side. If they release the Priv with Android 5.1, it will be obsolete before it leaves the factory and nobody will buy it with all the other manufacturers going with 6.0 as soon as they can and the Nexus devices coming out at the same time as the Priv. If they wait until they've adapted 6.0, they'll miss the Christmas sales, which would be equally bad.

So it doesn't really matter which device you buy at this time: support will be very limited in any case. 1-2 years at best. Might as well get a Passport if this is what you really want - I'll be doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    andy957 likes this.
    10-18-15 10:49 PM
160 ... 4567