I'm waiting to see what the next BlackBerry will be and in the meantime my Passport and Z30 are fine. Oh and since the last OS update my Q10 is no longer double typing so I'm set for awhile.... til the next (after the Priv) BlackBerry of course!

Posted via CB10
    bigjman likes this.
    10-09-15 12:16 PM
    I agree. It's just that the future looks so murky for them right now. If they sell a ton of Priv's who is to say that they don't go full Android with every device? If the Priv bottoms out, maybe they stick with BB10 and try to make it work.

Its a lot of what ifs.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Who's future do you know of looks bright?

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    10-09-15 01:45 PM
    Just look at BBOS....many are still rocking their legacy phones and the lack of update hasn't been a problem for them.
    Yet... BIS may be gone before the devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 04:13 PM
    Hey, I got it !!! Change the name of bb10 OS to "pumpkin pie" & people will line up to buy it !!
    Bbnivende and dale-c like this.
    10-09-15 04:15 PM
    Wait, what? ...does BIS still exist?
    10-09-15 04:19 PM
    3yE What is your car ? A Saab ?
    Thanks for asking dude. I ride a bus *wink*

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:19 PM
    Mine still performs great even it is outdated.
    10-09-15 09:36 PM
    There's some merit to using the device until it doesn't serve your purposes anymore, but there's a couple of issues there too:
    -The likelyhood of a new BB10 device at this point is slim at best. This means eventually, you will probably be switching platforms anyways (not in the far off future either).
    -Tech hardware depreciates like crazy, if you sell later you won't get nearly as much of your money back.
    -If the device serves your purposes now, the lack of updates on the android runtime will impact many of you.... That coupled with the lack of updates on BB10 dev tools will have an enormous affect on the ecosystem as a whole. The outlook is terrible at best right now.

I could care less if you keep your device, sell it, or whatever you want to do. It just is what it is.
    I agree with most of what you said except for the lack of updates for Andr runtime and BB10 os. You do know that 10.3.3 is comming next year and from JC interview, he stated that the company will continue to support the BB10 software right?
    We cant be sure if the BB10 updates in the future will patch an improvement of Android runtime or not, so dont say like there is a lack. Considering the fact that the majority of Android phone still are running Andr 4.4 or below. I am confident that a PP SE with the 10.3.3 can do well in the next 2 years, apps comparability wise.
    As of now, the future of BB10 OS is dark but whatever will come to the BB's hardware business as a whole or BB10 OS in particular in the next few years is entirely depend on the success of the Priv and the success is VERY likely.
    I still see a chance for a revival of BB10 OS devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:45 PM
    call me crazy but i would love to see a new passport with a 4:3 screen and slider. For now and through the next year at least, i'll keep enjoying my passport.
    10-09-15 10:25 PM
    Use it till you can't use it no more. You spent hard earned coin to get it, get your money's worth out of it. Don't let new and upcoming product spoil your opinion of what you already have.

New tech will always be coming up. Max out what you have first, then look for new product when you need it.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Red Edition
    Yup, my Bold 9000 is the best Alarm clock I've ever had, battery last a week with the Radio's off.

Even when it's out of date make use of it.
    10-09-15 10:37 PM
    I'm not even sold on this Priv because quite frankly I hate android. I gave it a shot with the note 4 and didn't mind it until it got frustrating after about a week. And then I recently ditched my iphone 6 for an s6 edge for some reason and I hate that also.

If only blackberry could simply get a fully functional Google play store on bb10 with Google play services. Because to me, other than the app situation, BB10 is superior to any other OS

Posted via CB10
    m3ach and miker476 like this.
    10-09-15 11:52 PM
    If John Chen says that BlackBerry will exit hardware next year if it doesn't make profit, PRIV is already a flop. Why would any one buy it if there is chance that is is going to vanish the next year.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 09:11 AM
    No where has any anouncement been made to end production of bb10, in fact the opposite has been stated. As long as BlackBerry is making hardware, costs go down since there can be shared R & D for hardware for both phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 09:31 AM
    Swell idea... the sole remaining R&D person can work on the Androidoid in the morning & bb10 walking dead in the afternoon...yeah!

No where has any anouncement been made to end production of bb10, in fact the opposite has been stated. As long as BlackBerry is making hardware, costs go down since there can be shared R & D for hardware for both phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 10:33 AM
    There are examples of tech companies revitalizing their businesses. Apple resuscitated itself and Motorola has made Itself relevant again. BlackBerry will be wise to keep BB10 in its portfolio to cater to specific interests.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 10:55 AM
    I'm not even sold on this Priv because quite frankly I hate android. I gave it a shot with the note 4 and didn't mind it until it got frustrating after about a week. And then I recently ditched my iphone 6 for an s6 edge for some reason and I hate that also.

If only blackberry could simply get a fully functional Google play store on bb10 with Google play services. Because to me, other than the app situation, BB10 is superior to any other OS

Posted via CB10
    I posted another thread asking if people would pay for full Android support (google approved)
    Most thought I was crazy. I think many people would go for it. For now though, existing android apps work so well I don't see an issue.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 11:27 AM
    If they release android for the passport silver now, tomorrow there is a silver in my pocket.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 12:20 PM
    The Android market is expected to grow from today 1.2 billion users to more than 1.5 billion during the next four years, Chen said, if I remember correctly. BlackBerry will certainly take part in the profits and - that's for sure - not in a poor measure, if they only developed Android devices. The Priv with its highly sophisticated features (for instance, a brand new camera) fits perfectly therein. Thus, it was a courageous, but only logical step for BlackBerry to do.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 03:04 PM
    you existing passports run bb10 just fine and will do so for several years. You aren't going to get an option to load android on them. They have shown no indication they will release a android passport either. I would certainly not count on it. Its not a dead end device but its not going to see much if any advancement either
    I would add the caveat to your statements about no option to change to an Android OS with the inclusion on IMO or I haven't seen anything to indicate etc. Unless you have in fact seen something to the contrary? If so, please point the rest of us to that fact. You may end up being correct, if BB wants to commit suicide and loose their present customer base. They'll never survive in the Android market without them IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-10-15 03:36 PM
    All Chen has committed to is a further OS update largely aimed at Enterprise users. May not even have runtime. No indication that there will be anymore bb10 devices.

Chen prefers this new idea of a somewhat secured Android. That is indeed the future for BlackBerry - to be a cross platform security option.

There are too many costs associated with BB10 hardware. Maybe if the PRIV is a success we will see the Passport, Classic, all touch in BlackBerry "secured" Android.

I honestly do not think we will see any more BB10 devices because they are a money loser. There is no evidence to support the theory that Enterprise will keep BB10 alive.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 04:28 PM
    Sir, stop offering the Brooklyn Bridge everywhere... one of these days the city mayor will log in in his CrackBerry account and you are going to be in trouble...

Hello,

I suspect that people will continue to love their Passports, for some time, but ultimately will serve as the Swan Song of BlackBerry in terms of an actual BlackBerry Phone (Blackberry Operating system and hardware).

So, ultimately, it will be a monument (build on your, and my dollars) of the short-sighted and grossly incompetent BlackBerry management, who failed MISERABLY to accomplish ANYTHING with an excellent product. The effort they have put into NOT supporting BB10, and their better devices is a testament to the quality of their leadership.

But don't worry ANDROID is going to save them from all their other failings...and I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell you.

The Passport can be BlackBerry's grave stone.

KAM

Posted via CB10
    KAM1138 likes this.
    10-10-15 05:04 PM
    I agree with most of what you said except for the lack of updates for Andr runtime and BB10 os. You do know that 10.3.3 is comming next year and from JC interview, he stated that the company will continue to support the BB10 software right?
    We cant be sure if the BB10 updates in the future will patch an improvement of Android runtime or not, so dont say like there is a lack. Considering the fact that the majority of Android phone still are running Andr 4.4 or below. I am confident that a PP SE with the 10.3.3 can do well in the next 2 years, apps comparability wise.
    As of now, the future of BB10 OS is dark but whatever will come to the BB's hardware business as a whole or BB10 OS in particular in the next few years is entirely depend on the success of the Priv and the success is VERY likely.
    I still see a chance for a revival of BB10 OS devices.

Posted via CB10
    Except that there is a lack, right now...

Devs want to know what's up with the lack of dev tool updates Now not in the future.
    The android runtime has already not been updated often enough and is starting to cause issues. This is not a guess and it's not a hypothetical, no matter how much people wish it on here
    10-10-15 05:24 PM
    Only for the android phones... Why would consumers want to buy a BB10 phone that can't run anything they want when they can get the a device from the same manufacturer that can?

Also BB10 will still be in the exact same spot. The android runtime becomes older and older, there is no google services integration so all apps which require it (which more and more do) will not work out of the box on BB10. Also just in general if BB does not update the runtime, eventually most new android apps will not actually run on BB10, even if they do security updates for the next 3 years.
    But how many people actually use a phone for more than 6 to 9 months anyway? I mean we're talking about a few hundred dollars for a phone, but sometimes it seems like we're buying a house or something. I seem to be buying a new phone every other month so talking 2 to 3 years ahead for tech is very foreign to me.
    saint613 likes this.
    10-10-15 06:11 PM
    But how many people actually use a phone for more than 6 to 9 months anyway? I mean we're talking about a few hundred dollars for a phone, but sometimes it seems like we're buying a house or something. I seem to be buying a new phone every other month so talking 2 to 3 years ahead for tech is very foreign to me.
    Says the phone sales person.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-15 07:07 PM
    Like other guys here, I will hold onto my Passport until it dies or is otherwise unusable. I would still occasionally be using my 9900 if my provider supported BIS. Since my Passport doesn't rely on any specialized services, I imagine it is not going to spontaneously stop working. There's no reason for me to dump my Passport or my Classic, and I'll use them until I cannot.

I don't care about unnecessary OS updates.

Posted via CB10
    Got2GetAway likes this.
    10-10-15 07:43 PM
160 ... 23456 ...