If the Priv is marketed, and if it sells, it will generate a renewed interest in the brand, with that will likely drive bb10 sales. With more bb10 sales will come, at the least, more effort to make existing Android apps available through official channels and operate correctly on BlackBerry 10 phones.
    Only for the android phones... Why would consumers want to buy a BB10 phone that can't run anything they want when they can get the a device from the same manufacturer that can?

Also BB10 will still be in the exact same spot. The android runtime becomes older and older, there is no google services integration so all apps which require it (which more and more do) will not work out of the box on BB10. Also just in general if BB does not update the runtime, eventually most new android apps will not actually run on BB10, even if they do security updates for the next 3 years.
    howarmat and krazyatom like this.
    10-06-15 03:37 PM
    One of them...

Posted via CB10
    The over hype still remains! you are reading an article making overstatement or possibilities that's all is it? Don't get catch up in the hype.

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    10-06-15 04:39 PM
    If the Priv is marketed, and if it sells, it will generate a renewed interest in the brand, with that will likely drive bb10 sales.
    I'd like to believe that, but I don't. It's too similar to what I thought the Android runtime would do for native BB10 development.

If the Priv sells, it will stimulate demand for more BlackBerry Android devices. I really don't think the coattails will carry BB10.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubizmo; 10-07-15 at 08:10 AM.
    10-06-15 05:13 PM
    I don't think the Passport 1 is going to get updated.

If they ever come out with a Passport 2 it might be full Android depending on how successful the Priv is.

I can't call where BlackBerry is going to end up. I'm sure they don't want to come out and say "all of our phones are going to be android. Bb10 isn't going further" without seeing how the market shakes out. If the Priv doesn't do well and the small number of users you have now leave, you literally have nothing.

Long story short, I think the future of BlackBerry and Android coming together forever is very much up in the air.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-06-15 05:34 PM
    I can't call where BlackBerry is going to end up. I'm sure they don't want to come out and say "all of our phones are going to be android. Bb10 isn't going further" without seeing how the market shakes out. If the Priv doesn't do well and the small number of users you have now leave, you literally have nothing.

Long story short, I think the future of BlackBerry and Android coming together forever is very much up in the air.

Posted via my Awesome Red Passport running on T-Mobile Unlimited Data. SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    It's funny because they were in the same spot transitioning from BBOS to BB10. The general result was that they bled existing customers while not really gaining much on BB10 side either. I see the same thing happening with Android, because why not? They have very little to offer android users over what they can get from other manufacturers and for significantly less money. The one exception is the keyboard, but they took so long to release new keyboard devices (and even then it was only the PP) so a lot of that market has moved on as well.
    10-06-15 07:34 PM
    I think a bigger question is.....if android is able to be placed on the Passport, does Blackberry make owners buy a new phone or will they allow a software update to existing owners to update... I like the Blackberry OS, but honestly I do not want to be stuck with a brick and an OS that will just be on life support.
    10-06-15 09:01 PM
    The over hype still remains! you are reading an article making overstatement or possibilities that's all is it? Don't get catch up in the hype.

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    It's not a 'hype'. In business planning, one important ingredients is 'risk assessment'. When you introduce a new product, you have to identify what are the risks involved and how you are going to deal with them. And based on your assessment, covering 'successful' and 'unsuccessful' scenarios, you can do a factual decision making... Chen is doing that... and it just only a matter of time, we will know what is the success rate of Priv...

Posted via CB10
    10-06-15 09:02 PM
    It's funny because they were in the same spot transitioning from BBOS to BB10. The general result was that they bled existing customers while not really gaining much on BB10 side either. I see the same thing happening with Android, because why not? They have very little to offer android users over what they can get from other manufacturers and for significantly less money. The one exception is the keyboard, but they took so long to release new keyboard devices (and even then it was only the PP) so a lot of that market has moved on as well.
    I agree. It's just that the future looks so murky for them right now. If they sell a ton of Priv's who is to say that they don't go full Android with every device? If the Priv bottoms out, maybe they stick with BB10 and try to make it work.

Its a lot of what ifs.

10-06-15 11:23 PM
    For me nothing will happen, I still enjoy using my silver passport, even more!

Posted via my lovely SE passport!
    bigjman likes this.
    10-07-15 04:28 AM
    I've said it before, people need to buy a phone that meets their needs for the foreseeable future, a reasonable product life, which for a phone is two years. Then repeat. If people have money to burn then phone hop every 3-6 months and enjoy your toys. Though people won't agree I think there is an Android os file in existence for the Passport, but the Priv success may determine if it's released. Even if Android is released for the Passport it's still only a two year device.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 04:54 AM
    Sell it at the highest price as you can. When Perv comes out, BB10 devices price will plunge down.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 05:07 AM
    I think it will lead to the sales of more BB10 existing phones to pissed off customers who waited for a BB10 slider and got offered a stinking Android phone.
    That's what I'll do. I'll buy another passport to keep me going for as long as possible on BB10. I still use the PlayBook every day.
    Last edited by sorinv; 10-07-15 at 05:53 AM.
    ThaSwapMeetPimp likes this.
    10-07-15 05:10 AM
    If BlackBerry decide to go all Android then it's going to be Bye Bye BlackBerry from me, as long as I have my Passport running BB10 then I'll be a happy man.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport SQW100-1 running 10.3.2.2639
    I dont get your "bye bye blackberry" statement. What are you going to do? Get another android phone? Ill stick with blackberry even more, BB10 as of today offers everything you need for the next couple of years.
    xhead75 likes this.
    10-07-15 05:11 AM
    As what others had just said, just enjoy our Passport running in BB10 while it last... no device will last forever anyway...

A year or two from now, perhaps there are better options for us...

Posted via CB10
    saint613 likes this.
    10-07-15 05:34 AM
    What about the millions and millions of people who do not want google services? BB10 for them!
    10-07-15 07:24 AM
    To be fair, the main reason for killing off the playbook was that it simply didn't have enough RAM to run bb10. If it could have run bb10, it would have. They probably would have still stopped selling them but at least existing models would have gotten bb10

Posted via CB10
    A lot of people seem to forget that fact when comparing bb10 to what happened with the PlayBook. Also, being that BlackBerry has bb10 customers in high places, even if the Priv is a absolute success I wouldn't expect them to just kill bb10 off. So current Passport and/or other bb10 device owners, don't panic your phone will still continue to do what it's been doing.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:35 AM
    Sell it at the highest price as you can. When Perv comes out, BB10 devices price will plunge down.

Posted via CB10
    Lol Perv? Sounds like a nasty device!

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 07:39 AM
    Blackberry has finally confirmed that they will be introducing Android OS to the new PRIV being released later this year. They further leak a roadmap of BB10 updates, which seem to only indicate that BB10 will just be stuck in maintenance mode. This signals to me an end to the BB10 OS, leaving one question for Passport owners, what happens to our phones now?

Does Blackberry eventually offer an Android OS update for the passport to existing phone users? Does Blackberry release a new Passport version with Android pre-installed, forcing existing owners to purchase a new phone?

I wanna know what existing Passport owners think about the possibilities and the direction Blackberry might go with this model.
    There is a video of a passport running Android. So who knows, maybe there is an Android version coming in the pipeline later, or maybe there isn't, but there is DIY to get Android on it.

Have a look:
    10-07-15 09:28 AM
    I personally like both android and bb10, but it will be really sad if bb10 fade out. Bb10 is my favorite OS and it would be a such a shame if they fade out.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
    10-07-15 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    This made me laugh so hard, I don't think calling the Slider the 'Perv' would have been much worse than the Priv!

LMFAO

10-07-15 12:36 PM
    I dont get your "bye bye blackberry" statement. What are you going to do? Get another android phone? Ill stick with blackberry even more, BB10 as of today offers everything you need for the next couple of years.
    To clarify BlackBerry won't be getting any more money from me as I hate the Android OS and yes I have used Android before you ask, so I will use my BB10 phones until they die then perhaps try a Windows phone.

IamLadyK likes this.
    10-07-15 12:39 PM
    I really couldn't see BlackBerry going exclusively Android. If you look at some of the bigger Android players in the game like HTC and Samsung, even they are "double dipping" making phones with other operating systems besides Android. Being that bb10 is used by big time customers like governments and big corporations, I don't see them all out abandoning bb10 in to go after fickle consumer money with Android. Chen already said they'll just scale back to maybe 1 or 2 devices a year. Plus Chen's agenda these days has been security and there's no way they can secure another company's software (even through their own hardware) better than they could with their own software/hardware combo. So I expect to see bb10 around.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 01:07 PM
    I will not forget the Passport, it was a light-up-my-eyes unboxing experience...

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    10-07-15 01:57 PM
    Hello,

I suspect that people will continue to love their Passports, for some time, but ultimately will serve as the Swan Song of BlackBerry in terms of an actual BlackBerry Phone (Blackberry Operating system and hardware).

So, ultimately, it will be a monument (build on your, and my dollars) of the short-sighted and grossly incompetent BlackBerry management, who failed MISERABLY to accomplish ANYTHING with an excellent product. The effort they have put into NOT supporting BB10, and their better devices is a testament to the quality of their leadership.

But don't worry ANDROID is going to save them from all their other failings...and I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell you.

The Passport can be BlackBerry's grave stone.

KAM
    keepit dry and andy957 like this.
    10-07-15 02:59 PM
    Least BlackBerry could do if passport is EOL is unlock it to root for for us to try a cyanogen mod on it...
    krazyatom likes this.
    10-07-15 03:11 PM
160 1234 ...