05-05-15 11:32 PM
74 123
tools
    But you don't need to scroll left and right...
    Unless you are a robot and you eye movement is controlled through some complicated mechanism, on a 4 to 5 inch screen, your eyeball is not really moving, you are really just focusing on different things in your field of vision.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    That's not true. Even very small angles require saccadic eye movements.

This shows a distribution of saccadic velocity vs degrees of visual angle changes.
    http://www.scholarpedia.org/w/images/d/d0/Main.jpg

From: http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/..._eye_movements

This is the entire point behind that Turbo Reader app, it only shows one word in the same position in order to prevent saccadic motions from one word to the next on a line (which is a relatively much slower process than the speed at which the brain can take in the word). Moving from one line to the next requires a much larger saccadic motion, and thus a larger overhead effort and wasted time.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:00 AM
    I only wish that I had a Passport so that I too could feel that I was taken in by a publicity stunt...
    05-03-15 09:18 AM
    Yes. I agree, that it's a marketing ploy. They do have almost the same real estate, but you missed out one critical point. When you're working you're not only viewing, you're also typing. And when you do, that's when you can feel the real estate. I don't have the same batch of phones as you do but I do have an iPhone 5s (former phone), Lumia 1020 (secondary phone), Samsung S5 (former phone), etc. And except for the iPhone 5s all have big displays so I am not new to big phones. And you are right that screen display is just about the same. But when I start typing emails, that's when I feel the difference of the Passport. It's the combination of the physical keyboard and the wide screen that made the difference. In the other phones, you just couldn't figure it out if you're gonna go landscape while typing emails or portrait. Either way, it's not as comfortable anymore as the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Any comparison with passport always end up with typing comparison. Doesn't it has other good points to compare? LOL
    05-03-15 09:27 AM
    Any comparison with passport always end up with typing comparison. Doesn't it has other good points to compare? LOL
    It's about the screen size while typing. It's not only about the typing itself which is a different story all together. Like it or not, PP's main point is the wide square screen plus the physical keyboard. If you only sold me the keyboard, I wouldn't buy it (thus, I never had a BlackBerry phone prior to the passport). The Q10's screen is too small for me and so is the classic.

The passport has a wide screen plus the keyboard combi that makes texting, emailing, even posting this reply so much easier.

Again, as I said, I agree screen size alone that they are almost the same but when you start to really work, and working includes editing and/or writing, that's when you see the difference.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:39 AM
    I agree screen size alone that they are almost the same but when you start to really work, and working includes editing and/or writing, that's when you see the difference.

Posted via CB10
    I get your point.
    No major difference.
    05-03-15 10:10 AM
    I think the passport looks more pleasing to read, the lines are longer. As for scrolling left and right it doesn't seem you need to do that on any of them.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    05-03-15 10:21 AM
    I am a former iPhone 5 user and I can say from day one my passport beat my iphone hands down!, the viewing experience Is fantastic and it handles everything that I throw with ease where you my iphone did the job but could hang up and was a very boring phone to use. I would highly recommended a Blackberry passport to anyone!

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:38 AM
    I get your point.
    No major difference.
    There is a major difference.

To illustrate it. Here's the screen of the passport side by side with a Lumia 1020 when replying to an SMS. With the passport I can still see two previous messages while replying to an SMS.

With the Lumia, you can barely see the previous message while typing a reply.

"What former iPhone users are saying about the BlackBerry Passport"-20150503_205218_edit.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 11:24 AM
    OP claims iPhone has same amount of content horizontally as passport.
    OP shows pics of both side by side
    Passport clearly shows more content width wise, and with larger and more readable font
    OP contradicts his own pictures

What's the point of this thread?

Workwide is exactly what you showed, it's easier to keep moving left to right than to go up and down and left and right on the iphone
    05-03-15 11:50 AM
    I've read two threads here today. Both have drawn comparisons between a BB and an iPhone although this thread does have a slightly wider scope than just the iPhone. Obviously there is a lot of jealousy present or these threads would be gone. It almost seems like BB owners need to justify their choice in phones. It's a classic internet pissing match and if you all are as smart as you claim you would know that no one ever wins an internet pissing match. But please, don't let common sense and logic slow you down
    howarmat and homer1475 like this.
    05-03-15 01:19 PM
    Lol you guys are hilarious.
    05-03-15 01:51 PM
    Do you not see that the Passport has more horizontal information? The idea is to get close to as many characters as a paperback book would have. That's a more comfortable and readable line length.

I'll tell you, reading on the Passport with the Kindle app is so much nicer than it was on the iPhone. Comparable to an eReader if it had an eink screen.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9169048) likes this.
    05-03-15 03:04 PM
    Is that the Android Kindle App? Crash city.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 03:29 PM
    for those that still dont get it,wider is not necessarily better, the wider screen wont provide the ability to scroll less often, what really makes a device display more characters is its display area. The passport usable screen is about 3.25"x3.25" which is about 10. The Z30 is 4"x2.5" which is also around 10. So in theory both phones will show the same amount of characters, see pictures on READER MODE. Work Wide is a publicity stunt period. That doesnt make the PP a better or worse phone, just different. I do think the PP is great, but Im not a fanboy.
    It's not just a stunt. While you're a right about the scrolling, viewing more characters per line on the Passport - as illustrated in the many pics you provided - is definitely better for reading and editing for long hours. I can speak about it with confidence since that's how I spend most of my days, writing on doc2go and reading articles on the web. However, I agree with you that if one doesn't spend hours reading or typing documents, the Passport is just the most beautiful square phone you can purchase right now.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 04:25 PM
    Most of the people are reading content on top third or top half of the screen before they scroll down. Almost never been quite to the bottom. Therefore, more informations are shown on PP and reading is more comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 04:31 PM
    Well, since physical KB phones are typically not media consumption devices, the quality of the input process is a critical point. Unless you spend most of your time watching video or playing games - which I don't judge, btw - the way you interact with the content on your screen is all that really matters. There are some amazing virtual keyboards out there, but I have yet to meet one that manage input/interaction in a most efficient, effortless and pleasant way than my trusty passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 04:33 PM
    Passport provides an absolutely more enjoyable reading and viewing experience. I wouldn't have left an OS I was with for 5+ years and heavily invested in if I didn't see a benefit to doing so.

If you're trying to get down to the nitty gritty of counting characters and lines, then go for it.

But if you printed 2 pieces of cardstock to represent an iPhone and Passport screen, with respective text, and handed them to people, I can guarantee you most will find the second one easier to read.

Posted via CB10
    Arabianhorse and RWB3325 like this.
    05-03-15 04:53 PM

To illustrate it. Here's the screen of the passport side by side with a Lumia 1020 when replying to an SMS. With the passport I can still see two previous messages while replying to an SMS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150503_205218_edit.jpg 
Views:	2041 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	350838

Posted via CB10
    LOL that has nothing to do with width. It's a pkb vs vkb thing.
    05-03-15 06:14 PM
    Windows phone is just horrible. I have used a few and I just could not get myself to like anything about it. Just look at that picture. How horrible is that? That keyboard is ridiculous. I love the BlackBerry virtual keyboard.
    05-03-15 07:43 PM
    That doesnt make the PP a better or worse phone, just different. I do think the PP is great, but Im not a fanboy.
    Thanks for the comparison! Seems like it's mostly psychological I guess, lol. However when it's pure text, you do get more characters per line it seems (like in your browser reader mode pics) that's more like reading text on a page, so that's nice. The one advantage I'd give to the Passport is the shortcuts for when you're in the browser. Not that you're getting more information on the screen but hitting the spacebar to go a page at a time is much nicer than swiping up, imho. And hitting T to go back to the top or B to jump down to the bottom can be a real time saver on some sites.

Anyway, you have a LOT of phones my friend. =)
    05-03-15 08:07 PM

See, back to typing performance.
    That's common while you comparing pkb and vkb. All vkb devices (include BB10 variant) won't give you much information while typing since the vkb itself will eat almost half of the screen. But why did you mention L1020 not others?

Posted via CB10
    There are some amazing virtual keyboards out there, but I have yet to meet one that manage input/interaction in a most efficient, effortless and pleasant way than my trusty passport.

Posted via CB10
    Really? have you compare them by yourself?
    05-03-15 09:10 PM

See, back to typing performance.
    That's common while you comparing pkb and vkb. All vkb devices (include BB10 variant) won't give you much information while typing since the vkb itself will eat almost half of the screen. But why did you mention L1020 not others?

Posted via CB10
    There are some amazing virtual keyboards out there, but I have yet to meet one that manage input/interaction in a most efficient, effortless and pleasant way than my trusty passport.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 09:11 PM
    I don't know, I don't mind either
    phones to be honest, but person-
    ally, I prefer the Passport's square
    screen. While I do agree that over-
    all, you get the same amount of
    words on the screen, I actually
    do prefer the wider format for
    both reading and web-browsing.

At the end of the day, I do think it's just personal preference. Is it a marketing ploy? Well, I wouldn't call it a ploy, but it definitely is a marketing angle. To each his/her own. A lot of people are simply accustomed to the bar shaped screen/handset device so they'd be more apt to prefer it over something that is different.
    anon(9353145), Zedd88 and kidmac13 like this.
    05-03-15 09:40 PM
    I did, not extensively but still, on the Iphone of my brother and androids (Galaxy and Note) of my roommates. Keep in mind that at the time

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:08 PM
    In the end, it goes down to individual preference... regardless what other is saying...

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:11 PM
74 123