My "fancy" tip is very unpopular but will say it anyway as I do it myself..

Update to 2205 if not already on it and roll back the runtime via blackberry chrome extension on windows to get android apps running smoother as well as even get some to run at all (showbox crashes on every version of 10.3.3 as the. 213 runtime is SLOP) like Showbox. It runs on runtime .172 rolled back but on the latest OS version 2205 however I have no idea why, however it is just how it is... #Fact

Battery life is also better, notifications for voxer better as well as a few other apps I'm not using now that wouldn't run that I foget were running on. 172. I spent days of my life testing not so long ago but I always messed about with the runtimes for fun.

Don't actually do this unless you need Showbox then you can as I have and I am fine for past few weeks. Actually I am better off.

I have thurask (sorry if pronounced your name wrong) to thank for the .172 bars that he gave me long ago. Wish I knew where they were from. The shell is larger in it for some odd reason and darn if it don't run showbox like a dream.

As you may have noticed I have to "know" "why" to everything or I lose my mind.

 Passport SE  via Native CB10 .bar
    09-12-17 09:10 PM
    My "fancy" tip is very unpopular but will say it anyway as I do it myself..

Update to 2205 if not already on it and roll back the runtime via blackberry chrome extension on windows to get android apps running smoother as well as even get some to run at all (showbox crashes on every version of 10.3.3 as the. 213 runtime is SLOP) like Showbox. It runs on runtime .172 rolled back but on the latest OS version 2205 however I have no idea why, however it is just how it is... #Fact

Battery life is also better, notifications for voxer better as well as a few other apps I'm not using now that wouldn't run that I foget were running on. 172. I spent days of my life testing not so long ago but I always messed about with the runtimes for fun.

Don't actually do this unless you need Showbox then you can as I have and I am fine for past few weeks. Actually I am better off.

I have thurask (sorry if pronounced your name wrong) to thank for the .172 bars that he gave me long ago. Wish I knew where they were from. The shell is larger in it for some odd reason and darn if it don't run showbox like a dream.

As you may have noticed I have to "know" "why" to everything or I lose my mind.

The Android 10.3.2.172 bar files come from OS 10.3.2.2381 which is dated June 2015. Ouch.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    09-12-17 09:37 PM
    The Android 10.3.2.172 bar files come from OS 10.3.2.2381 which is dated June 2015. Ouch.
    Wow. So it was on every device? ...

Must of been a time when they actually still cared a bit..

Thanks for that knowledge..

How did you find that out? Sachie or whatever? The one windows blackberry app I never used much..

09-12-17 09:48 PM
    Wow. So it was on every device? ...

Must of been a time when they actually still cared a bit..

Thanks for that knowledge..

How did you find that out? Sachie or whatever? The one windows blackberry app I never used much..

It was a specific carrier release.
    09-12-17 09:57 PM
    Dude, you know I got to know which one now? LOL. Probably AT&T.

09-12-17 10:17 PM
    Sure it wasn't a beta or test version? That be hilarious.

09-12-17 10:18 PM
    the .172 bars that he gave me long ago. Wish I knew where they were from. The shell is larger in it for some odd reason and darn if it don't run showbox like a dream.
    Yeah, for some reason this 172 runtime will run ShowBox on BB10 and the newer 213 runtime (or it's predecessors) will not. I did some experimentation last night changing them out on my spare Z10 and my Passport. Sure enough, 172 works beautifully. The 172 file is slightly larger than the newer one but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has something that 213 doesn't. Quite often a smaller file may mean that code was cleaned up. It is curious though. DPR, now you got me wondering why, dammit!
    09-13-17 09:08 AM
    Yeah, for some reason this 172 runtime will run ShowBox on BB10 and the newer 213 runtime (or it's predecessors) will not. I did some experimentation last night changing them out on my spare Z10 and my Passport. Sure enough, 172 works beautifully. The 172 file is slightly larger than the newer one but that doesn't necessarily mean that it has something that 213 doesn't. Quite often a smaller file may mean that code was cleaned up. It is curious though. DPR, now you got me wondering why, dammit!
    Brookie, I swear as well as a few other apps running smoother like voxer that I have better battery life but I can't be sure on that. Maybe you can test that since you know more about battery life. As to why, yeah I dunno if we will ever be able to know the answer to that one? LOL. It stopped driving me crazy when I decided to just stay on .172 as just figured blackberry cared more back then and had a better bb10 team to create this stuff that's now at apple, Hah.

If you find anything negative, would LOVE to know..

I have not thus far. Only positives.

09-13-17 09:42 AM
    Brookie do you know the specifics behind the .172 runtime as in what carrier released it as conite narrowed it down almost completely. I suppose that was during a time when blackberry was still thinking their OS had a chance. Even if right after it was probably created during the time when they thought it. I mean they can't change anything much in the runtime except when it had an uninstall bug or stuff similar. The only thing I can think that would need to be "updated" would be to a higher android level however we all know that can't be so what are they updating or changing?

Except if they are blocking stuff out like Google did the same with showbox. If you try to install showbox via Google drive or installer on a droid it says against policy so you have to go a different route I noticed. Wonder if it was intentional but mostly wonder, what are they "updating" or changing? All they ever seem to do was mes sit up after Conites runtime rollback fix to runtime .232 was it or something similar. I tried them all, for a long time also. The classics .110 is second best to the .172. I'll be staying with this .172 as usual as see zero downside and only upsides in battery, app performance and what I can prove showbox and a few other apps actually run and run smooth which do not on others. @Cobalt232 do you know what they changed over the years when it was "updated".. was there ever an actual log to say? Million dollar questions that would explain allot.

I would install this and go through them and I may be wrong but I thought in 2015 that one of the levels was higher on .172 then on the other or maybe it was another RT. I could be wrong but thought one thing was diff whether it read as art over dalvik but one of the RT's read different at least on this particular app and NO not the 4.3 itself as I know that's not happening. Maybe the api level. Unsure! Anyway here's the free app I am speaking of:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...boy.artchecker

09-13-17 02:38 PM
    There was no agenda with regard to the Runtime. ALL the apps were continually being developed, and when a new OS was released, it simply got the current crop of apps at the time.
    09-13-17 02:59 PM
    Anyway,
    For anybody wanting the .172 Runtime to run ShowBox (I won't mention any other benefits I feel I have with it as I can't prove it yet, working on proving battery life) on the latest versions of BB10 (10.3.3.xxxx) I will share it, so here it/they are as in the two .bar files that are easily replaceable and you can even go back to OEM if you don't want to run showbox anymore:

.172 RT: https://db.tt/nyjSj7JFRW

.172 RT Shell: https://db.tt/VJJKTkSSVo

..Sorry for taking over this thread even though it is "fancy".. Maybe it can be moved to a Showbox Fix for 10.3.3xxxx as it does officially work and when I google blackberry showbox I get hits of others saying it doesn't work and how disappointed they are/were. Well this is a solution and imo has other upsides.

Maybe I will just seek out the folks via Google on Crackberry whom were asking how to get showbox to run on their passports as I know when I needed "imo app" to run the other day it was a Huge deal to me, I thought I was screwed until Mike came in out of nowhere with the solution/version to get it working again. I was thrilled. Pay it forward!...

BTW: Brookie this was looks pretty detailed, wonder what one out there is the MOST detailed and functions.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dalvikexplorer

Last edited by DreadPirateRegan; 09-13-17 at 03:13 PM.
    09-13-17 03:01 PM
    There was no agenda with regard to the Runtime. ALL the apps were continually being developed, and when a new OS was released, it simply got the current crop of apps at the time.
    Of course...

So they changed the number but did nothing to it agfter awhile? Well I know that's not what you said as there is differences in what runs and don't but I am not yelling conspiracy conite I just was curious what they were changing or thinking they were doing at all as it could never go above 4.3 itself. Also, they were doing "stuff" as remember we had a runtime bug you corrected while they took awhile for the solution? It was the uninstall bug. Now also the latest and almost all (every one I tested) versions of showbox crash out when u go to play a movie on ALL 10.3.3 runtimes (.213) however they ALL run on .172 as well as a few other apps or versions at least as in voxer. Not strange at all? Maybe not an agenda but definitely a difference and the better ones just happen to be around the time they still had a BB10 team that cared and was active and as time went on, bugs, etc. That is all I mean. What was being "developed" within the runtime, was there a logcat bro?

09-13-17 03:07 PM
    There is no change log. But I would suspect minor bug and security fixes as time went on.
    09-13-17 03:11 PM
    Brookie do you know the specifics behind the .172 runtime as in what carrier released it as conite narrowed it down almost completely.
    Not a clue, sorry---I can barely remember yesterday
    09-13-17 03:12 PM
    There is no change log. But I would suspect minor bug and security fixes as time went on.
    Understood. I'll take my chances.

09-13-17 03:14 PM
    Not a clue, sorry---I can barely remember yesterday
    Me either, plus I am a little eccentric as you may have noticed which some people call "nutty" but I'm cool with that! LOL! ...

Hopefully they hurry up with the stem cells. I want to be 28 again. I feel old at 37 but most folks I know say I am still young. Nope, don't feel it and I rememberfolks saying when you hit 40, it's downhill, or uphill they should have said!..
    09-13-17 03:21 PM
    ..Sorry for taking over this thread even though it is "fancy".. Maybe it can be moved to a Showbox Fix for 10.3.3xxxx as it does officially work and when I google blackberry showbox I get hits of others saying it doesn't work and how disappointed they are/were. Well this is a solution and imo has other upsides.
    One thing I do remember noticing about the time that ShowBox stopped working and that was when some of the other movie/tv apps such as MovieHD , Newest Movies HD began to use a separate video player to be installed ie VPlayer, and MV Player. It seemed as though there may be a hook either missing or incomplete to the native player, at least that was my initial reaction. By the way, those video player add-ons really take NO additional resources in BB10 but they do add on an annoying ad experience. However, they are still not obtrusive enough for me to delete them. I have checked VPlayer (required for Movie HD) in the app manager and it has never caused any headaches.
    09-13-17 03:28 PM
    One thing I do remember noticing about the time that ShowBox stopped working and that was when some of the other movie/tv apps such as MovieHD , Newest Movies HD began to use a separate video player to be installed ie VPlayer, and MV Player. It seemed as though there may be a hook either missing or incomplete to the native player, at least that was my initial reaction. By the way, those video player add-ons really take NO additional resources in BB10 but they do add on an annoying ad experience. However, they are still not obtrusive enough for me to delete them. I have checked VPlayer (required for Movie HD) in the app manager and it has never caused any headaches.
    Yeah, I use KM Player Pro (showbox doesn't allow for native) to watch movies, etc. This is because KM works well and has a "Fill" feature that fills the screen fully on the 1 x 1 and it is barely noticeable that there is anything stretching a tad. Nothing missing is the important part! Also they allow for PiP on other android apps (like NewPipe) and have a nifty lock feature. I wish the Real Pot Player would come to droid so this is the next best thing I suppose beings he did the original code for it.

09-13-17 03:43 PM
    When a friend of mine told me about the passport I immediately had to go play with one at the AT&T store. Once I did that, I fell in love with its uniqueness. That was a big selling point for me!
    Yeah I use to own one thats what I liked about it. It stands out in a crowd

Posted via CB10
    09-13-17 06:38 PM
    Yeah I use to own one thats what I liked about it. It stands out in a crowd

Posted via CB10
    It sure does but at the same time it saves allot of battery because of the screen being 1x1 it feels and looks (especially to others) like a 6inch plus screen but it's not.. I don't understand how people can say it's not a new design or innovative and android is to advanced to support this 1x1 just because old tv's used to be 1x1. Two different animals! ... it's innovative is what it is and probably made the most sense to begin with or at least something right in between the width of traditional and passport. Maybe LG got it right. I know they did something and it may have been the G6 or something coming as I remember hearing so about a tad wider LG phone coming this year...

09-13-17 09:02 PM
    It sure does but at the same time it saves allot of battery because of the screen being 1x1 it feels and looks (especially to others) like a 6inch plus screen but it's not.. I don't understand how people can say it's not a new design or innovative and android is to advanced to support this 1x1 just because old tv's used to be 1x1. Two different animals! ... it's innovative is what it is and probably made the most sense to begin with or at least something right in between the width of traditional and passport. Maybe LG got it right. I know they did something and it may have been the G6 or something coming as I remember hearing so about a tad wider LG phone coming this year...

It's a fantastic phone that got loss in the iPhone and Samsung nonsense. Sure they got the market on phones but bb10 destroys and OS. I will never leave it till it stops working. I've owned the . passport..piv and just got a leap and I have to say I really love his phone it's very elegant and business it's not a toy it's get **** done. Had it for one day and I'm just half living A blast

Posted via CB10
    09-13-17 09:07 PM
    It sure does but at the same time it saves allot of battery because of the screen being 1x1
    The aspect ratio isn't really relevant. It's the number of pixels being driven that matters.

Example, the Passport drives the same number of pixels as a standard 16:9 screen at 1080x1920 (full HD).
    Last edited by conite; 09-13-17 at 09:34 PM.
    09-13-17 09:09 PM
    If you watch most standard 16:9 video including youtube, you can manually zoom in to fill the 1x1 screen of the Passport, and you find out 95% of the time (surprised as I was) you are not missing out on any significant visual information, and you are actually viewing a much bigger screen (things look much closer) then on the 16:9 or whatever slab format. Most of the side stuff cut off is just background.
    09-13-17 09:26 PM
    ...and the play-on option to external tv (via cable or miracast) will play it in or close enough to the TV's native dimensioned format and not be limited to the 1x1 Passport screen....that is a fantastic discovery.
    09-13-17 09:29 PM
    ...and the play-on option to external tv (via cable or miracast) will play it in or close enough to the TV's native dimensioned format and not be limited to the 1x1 Passport screen....that is a fantastic discovery.
    Do you have SuperTube?

Just updated 2017. Genius dev!
    Native and brilliant! I suggest it!..

09-13-17 09:39 PM
62 123