I am a new to the passport. I have not had a blackberry device since the Storm. Im really excited to get it today! What tips and tricks and apps would you recommend?

Thanks
    08-19-15 01:41 PM
    - get as many people as you can on BBM, the experience is much better than WhatsApp or anything else
    - If you have the need for some android applications, many work when installed via Snap. Search the forum on how to install
    - Give it a couple of days to settle and optimize the battery. First days it will drain, will get much better over time
    - Type a lot to get used to the keyboard, it is a learning curve worthwhile
    - play around with it often and hard, the OS has so many features built in, so you need far few apps than compared to IOS and Android
    nbrenner14 and alexeysalo like this.
    08-19-15 02:06 PM
    Cool! Pretty stoked to play with it tonight!!
    08-19-15 02:16 PM
    Don't forget about keyboard shortcuts. I found myself forgetting about them but they can save a lot of time.
    If you are looking for a case I'd recommend the Leather Case from BlackBerry because it acts as a stand as well.
    If you're heavy into Muti-tasking then a lot of people use an app called Work Wide from BBWorld. I personnally haven't found a need for it yet but I know a lot of Passport users love it.
    Finally, forget about single hand typing, it's almost impossible but I rarely find that that is an issue anyways.
    Lastly, get ready to turn heads and get people's attention.
    nbrenner14 and olygopoly like this.
    08-19-15 02:19 PM
    When a friend of mine told me about the passport I immediately had to go play with one at the AT&T store. Once I did that, I fell in love with its uniqueness. That was a big selling point for me!
    olygopoly likes this.
    08-19-15 02:39 PM
    As well I forgot to mention when you are scrolling through website, app feeds, turn the device sideways and use the keyboard. Keeps your screen nice and pretty.
    08-20-15 09:40 AM
    I am a new to the passport. I have not had a blackberry device since the Storm. Im really excited to get it today! What tips and tricks and apps would you recommend?

Thanks
    SInce migrating to a digital calendar via bb devices, i still missed my good old "Daytimers 2 pages a week" paper agenda. IF you want to make great use of the Passport screen, THe app "calendar week view" is what i go to often as it displays the entire week on the screen in block form so its easily readable at a glance. SOmetimes you want to shuffle week to week and this is one app Ive used most often. It works in conjuction with the bb calendar. The native bb calendar does not allow you to view week to week easily and after doing a bit or research on productivity tools I came across this awesome app.

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2252 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    08-20-15 09:50 AM
    - get as many people as you can on BBM, the experience is much better than WhatsApp or anything else
    - If you have the need for some android applications, many work when installed via Snap. Search the forum on how to install
    - Give it a couple of days to settle and optimize the battery. First days it will drain, will get much better over time
    - Type a lot to get used to the keyboard, it is a learning curve worthwhile
    - play around with it often and hard, the OS has so many features built in, so you need far few apps than compared to IOS and Android
    I haven't used Snap since Cobalt got the Google Play store working on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Lalabum, DarkJoker33 and sharma6 like this.
    08-20-15 10:55 AM
    Don't read when you are in horizontal position, at least with OG Passport. It may hurt

Posted from my Passport
    scmcc16 likes this.
    08-20-15 11:40 AM
    Will be getting a passport too

Was wondering how it may effect battery life, when you on and off insert and remove the devise from the cradle - any tipps? Tku.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 11:57 AM
    Congratulations on you NEW BlackBerry. Such a contrast to the Storm and an amazing device indeed!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    08-20-15 11:58 AM
    Disable swipe to wake. Use 'U' then 'Enter' to unlock. Or 'U' then swipe up. Prevent ****-dialing.

BBM is the best chat platform by far, like someone said at the beginning of this thread. If you can get people to join, it's pretty great.

For number input, hold the virtual keyboard button and it will give you a locked virtual keyboard with alternate key functions on your main keyboard. Basically, it's like alt-lock. Helps me a lot.

Posted via CB10
    texn884 likes this.
    08-20-15 12:50 PM
    The @123 virtual keyboard button is the alt key. Double tap on the touch enabled physical keypad to bring up or put away the type cursor.

Say you try to delete a word but don't land the cursor just right or the word you wish to delete is right ahead of it, hold the shift key OR @123 virtual key and press the backspace key to delete letters going forward. It works on all touch phones too!

If you want to back delete a whole word, swipe back on the pkb. Swipe down on the pkb to bring up the vkbs. If you want to back delete multiple words swipe back with additional fingers on the vkb!

Bring up the cursor another way by holding down the virtual shift key, then keep holding while moving the cursor across the pkb to highlight a selection. Have fun with your new Passport!!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Pcmx; 08-21-15 at 06:30 AM. Reason: See below
    08-20-15 05:12 PM
    Shift+Backspace is forward delete. You need to correct your post.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 11:05 PM
    hi . yes using the "u" to unlock is great . but you also said you can then press the enter key rather than swipe . how do you do that . how do you program to have the enter key work rather than the swipe up
    thanks
    08-21-15 04:58 AM
    Shift+Backspace is forward delete. You need to correct your post.

Posted via CB10
    Both ways work
    08-21-15 06:27 AM
    hi . yes using the "u" to unlock is great . but you also said you can then press the enter key rather than swipe . how do you do that . how do you program to have the enter key work rather than the swipe up
    thanks
    Hi, they have to be pressed within a certain amount of time, sort of rather quickly. Hope that helps
    Last edited by Pcmx; 08-21-15 at 06:42 AM. Reason: browser locked up and double posted
    08-21-15 06:27 AM
    you are right . tried is and it worked i have read all there is to read about PP and have never seen this written (or i did and forgot ) thank you very much
    08-21-15 06:12 PM
    Both ways work
    I'm really trying every way I can imagine, and it's not working. Only shift+backspace will perform a forward delete. Until someone can confirm and explain how to do your @123+backspace trick, I remain skeptical.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 11:23 PM
    Download Outcall Service BETA from BlackBerry Beta Zone. Exclusively for Passport.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 02:03 AM
    Either buy insurance or don't sit on it. Then you won't feel the need to clog up forums with spurious complaints about BlackBerry and/or whomever you bought it from having terrible products and terrible customer service after they tell you they're not going to repair or replace for free under warranty a phone that's obviously been sat on. Just sayin.

Posted via Passport. It's hip to be square.
    08-22-15 06:15 AM
    I'm really trying every way I can imagine, and it's not working. Only shift+backspace will perform a forward delete. Until someone can confirm and explain how to do your @123+backspace trick, I remain skeptical.

Posted via CB10
    I learned it in the Q5 forum and have used it ever since across all my devices. Holding shift for delete works nicer for two handed use on the Passport tho

Posted via P'CB10
    08-22-15 01:06 PM
    Both ways work
    Yes can confirm both ways work, BUT it's a bit unhandy to hold down @123 - button and then press backspace, so shift seems easier to me

AND haven't read this here :

For enterting any options with accents etc e.g. � or �... keep down pressed the button and then softly tap the key and the curser will wander to the next option, when you got the one you need, just hit the next letter in the word or space bar...

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 04:37 AM
    How??
    Seriously, I've had BB for a while, three yrs probably, and I do not know anyone who uses BBM, if anyone wants to be on my contact list at least I know what all the fuss is about
    09-09-17 04:30 AM
    How??
    Seriously, I've had BB for a while, three yrs probably, and I do not know anyone who uses BBM, if anyone wants to be on my contact list at least I know what all the fuss is about
    you're missing out then.
    i've got about 40 folks on bbm still... half of them active regularly.
    09-12-17 08:20 PM
62 123