Hi Everyone

The passport is a great device. It grows on you over time, and enables one to be more efficient. The one thing that I am still not yet able to figure out is...How do I start typing with a number ? For example...lets say I want to type in an address for a location I am traveling to. The blackberry allows the user to simply start typing. Lets say the address is 123 main street....I have to FIRST type in a character...so that the number pad row starts to show up. I then delete that alpha character, and then start typing the digits one the number row begins to show up. It seems like a series of steps that should not have to be taken. Does anyone know a shortcut for this?

Thx
    Andy
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    11-09-14 08:33 AM
    11-09-14 08:35 AM
    Thanks..but this still doesnt answer the question. In any case, I appreciate your help

ANdy
    11-09-14 08:41 AM
    It's point #2. Hold alt

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 08:52 AM
    Hi there

Thanks...but how do I get to the alt symbol from the home screen without hitting an alpha character for it to show up? I want to start typing with numbers...an address for example..but I have to hit an alpha character first for the alt button to appear correct? I then have to delete the alpha character and then press the alt button for the numeric pad to show up. It seems like a long series of steps and work arounds

Andy
    11-09-14 08:59 AM
    Hmmm....interesting question. I think you refer to just start typing on the home screen? I'm afraid there is no solution other than what you outlined already - starting with an alpha character, then backspace. The only alternative that came to my mind was to tap the assistant icon before typing - however, this won't save any keystrokes. No big disaster, but maybe a design flaw?

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 08:59 AM
    Swipe down on the keyboard will show number and special characters

Posted via CB10
    thedose and PatrickMJS like this.
    11-09-14 09:01 AM
    I just press the @123 key!

Posted via Passport - The Beast!
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-09-14 09:02 AM
    Cool. That works perfect. Still learning new tricks.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    11-09-14 09:04 AM
    Never mind. I see what you mean

11-09-14 09:05 AM
    Thanks for your messages.. But none of these work from the HOME screen. I have to press an ALPHA character first before any of this can happen.. either the swiping motion or for the @123 button to show up. In any case...its not a big deal..its just that I use the numeric digits at start vert frequently. You would think blackberry would have thought of this

Thx
    Andy
    11-09-14 09:06 AM
    lol Some people here just don't get the meaning of the question

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:06 AM
    I got it. The OP is right

11-09-14 09:09 AM
    Ah I see now what you meant op

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:21 AM
    I dont have a paasport, so I am just throwing this out there, can you long press the alpha key that represents 1, and have that be the first character, and the input that brings up the virtual keybaord?
    11-09-14 09:33 AM
    OP is correct. From the home screen, there is no way to start the search using the numbers or the symbols. You have to use one of the regular keys and backspace it.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:48 AM
    Yeah, you can't,.. so I guess you can just start by typing the action: "map" or "search" or "find" or "call".

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 09:49 AM
    Ok just edited my post. I get what you mean.
    11-09-14 09:59 AM
    Hi Everyone

The passport is a great device. It grows on you over time, and enables one to be more efficient. The one thing that I am still not yet able to figure out is...How do I start typing with a number ? For example...lets say I want to type in an address for a location I am traveling to. The blackberry allows the user to simply start typing. Lets say the address is 123 main street....I have to FIRST type in a character...so that the number pad row starts to show up. I then delete that alpha character, and then start typing the digits one the number row begins to show up. It seems like a series of steps that should not have to be taken. Does anyone know a shortcut for this?

Thx
    Andy
    Anywhere their is a text input box open swipe down on the keyboard and the # menu will appear.

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-09-14 11:20 AM
    I found a partial solution. In the home screen, press and hold the enter key then press any other key, this will call up the search assistant. Then you can start typing any number without the need to first delete anything.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    11-09-14 11:46 AM
    Once the keyboard is open then all the tips work as expected. However I think that OP is trying to figure out how to start typing (say, using the search function) before the keyboard is open. Passport's, like Q10's, have the ability to start searching for things immediately upon a keypress.
    11-09-14 11:55 AM
    Usually I tapthe screen in any text field to place focus in the field. This brings up the virtual keys. Once I am in the field and I can then swipe down or hit @123. If you aren't in the field, just on the page somewhere, the virtual keyboard won't show in order to maximize reading and viewing realestate (if in the browser or other app reading etc).

In the browser at least, the U key takes you directly to the address bar where you would switch to numbers with either the downswipe or @123. The U key doesn't work in my Google maps or BlackBerry maps, typing anything puts the alpha key in. So there I have to tap the text field on the screen first or do what you do and enter and delete the alpha char.

Is this what you mean?

Rockin a Passport with my Awesome Z30! Two great devices are better than 1!
    11-12-14 12:54 PM
    There are shortcuts that include the alt or shift virtual keys and I don't yet know of a way to get it to show up if there is no text field e,ither. Keyboard shortcuts other than those with alt are only letters that I have seen so far. But "S" may get you to a search field directly.

But I now see exactly what the OP means if you just want to search using the assistant by just typing (and not opening the assistant first). I don't see a way yet to get to the virtual keyboard first.

Rockin a Passport with my Awesome Z30! Two great devices are better than 1!
    11-13-14 01:48 AM
    But if you just type 'where is...' the knowledge part of assistant finds it for you.

Jaglenn's Passport
    11-13-14 02:11 AM
    Guys, you should call BlackBerry support and report this as a bug. This is actually a great use case that justifies why they should implement the two finger swipe up to be able to bring up the virtual keyboard, and then implement typing on a home screen virtual keyboard. In fact, without that the virtual keyboard folks won't ever be able to just type from the home screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:20 AM