This will be my first Blackberry device. I got swindled a few years back buying a defective Bold from someone off of Kijiji - which unjustly turned me off of the brand. Well, decided to give the brand another try and bought a red Passport last night from shop.blackberry.com. Hopefully it arrives soon.

Anyhow, I'm coming off of a Galaxy Note and have no idea about Blackberries. Can someone list the things/apps I might need or should do to my phone when it arrives? I read a bit about downloading an app called Snap but is there anything else that will help me cross over to the dark side? Thanks.
    07-16-15 10:30 PM
    The note is a good device, I had one but I like my passport more, it's a beast. Just get it and get use to the UI to start then you can tinker the way you want.
    tli2000 likes this.
    07-16-15 10:58 PM
    Mostly spend time reading the stickies in the Passport forum, the BB10 forum, check out the how-to's, Cobalt's Google app thread in the Android app forum, and anything else you come across that interests you.

Enjoy, and welcome to the CrackBerry fold!
    tli2000 likes this.
    07-16-15 10:59 PM
    You will love your new device. Enjoy!!

Posted via Passport - 10.3.2.2339
    Jamie Wooten likes this.
    07-16-15 11:03 PM
    Takes a week or or two to adjust to it but once you do that, you will absolutely love it. Everyone is different so not sure what to recommend without more info but read up on blitz and autoloaders. Its basically installing future OS's that are leaked on these forums. First get comfortable with the phone and then try experimenting

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-16-15 11:10 PM
    Make love to your New Passport.
    Jk

Honestly,
    For apps try BlackBerry app world first
    Than amazon app world
    Than Snap

I was able to find all the apps I wanted and needed just with the first two app world's.

Also another really good app that I highly recommend is called profiler.
    Both a free version and pro version can be found here.

http://m.crackberry.com/change-your-...event-profiler

Don't bother with the free version as it doesn't download for the Passport. And I thing the Pro/paid version is actually free to download.

Posted via CB10
    Wunliang likes this.
    07-16-15 11:18 PM
    Open the box when it arrives

BlackBerry -Secured to the Core | CB MOD
    anon(9208252) and BigBadWulf like this.
    07-16-15 11:26 PM
    Open the box when it arrives

BlackBerry -Secured to the Core | CB MOD
    your getting to be a pretty funny little mod, eh! But you still haven't returned that plane.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-16-15 11:27 PM
    Use to be fruit lover. But now bring my passport around.. JUST LOVE IT.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 11:28 PM
    There's an app called device switch in BBworld not sure if it's just for BlackBerry devices or other OS as well, used it when the wife and I switched from our Z10s to the oh mighty beast Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 08:46 AM
    It is on Android as well so download it on you note as well as your Passport when you get it it will transfer everything for you.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-15 08:48 AM
    There's an app called device switch in BBworld..

Posted via CB10
    Awesome. l'll definitely get this app. And thanks for all the advice from everyone. Yes, I will definitely open the box when it arrives. My spyderco is waiting patiently.
    07-17-15 09:50 AM
    First thing, open the box. Next, when you open the box, twist your nipples to stimulate a burning sensation while removing the phone from the box.

Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    07-17-15 09:58 AM
    Update your device first before you make love to it lol

Passport/CB10
    07-17-15 11:53 AM
    This will be my first Blackberry device. I got swindled a few years back buying a defective Bold from someone off of Kijiji - which unjustly turned me off of the brand. Well, decided to give the brand another try and bought a red Passport last night from shop.blackberry.com. Hopefully it arrives soon.

Anyhow, I'm coming off of a Galaxy Note and have no idea about Blackberries. Can someone list the things/apps I might need or should do to my phone when it arrives? I read a bit about downloading an app called Snap but is there anything else that will help me cross over to the dark side? Thanks.
    Just keep in mind that android apps which utilize Google play services won't work unfortunately but most android apps works flawlessly!

Also read up and familiarize yourself with side loading and installing a leak for the latest os update! It will improve the functionality of your device BUT make sure you read up and understand how to do this before attempting as WE do not want you to brick your device.
     Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    07-18-15 07:25 AM
    Some of these might be useful:
    http://help.blackberry.com/en-gb/bla...ssport/10.3.2/

http://www.solvemix.com/index.php/bl...android-or-ios

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2014/...erry-passport/

Congrats for getting a Passport, you won't regret it!

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    07-18-15 08:08 AM
    Got my Passport 3 weeks ago, upgrading from a Z30 and the wife from a Z10. I had a bold a few years ago so the familiarity of using a Pkb came back within a few hours (loving that clicking again), but I was really surprised at how well received the device was by my wife. She hates change, but marveled and is still marveling at this device. My advice would be to start with BlackBerry world and Amazon app store first as another had mentioned for your initial apps then find forum threads on installing Cobalt if you need Google Services. I have everything I need from the first two. enjoy your new Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 11:15 AM
    Great advice from everyone above, thanks.

Anyhow, I already received my PP. I ordered it at 1am on Friday and it arrived in Canada (from SBB in the US) early Saturday afternoon. I guess anything is possible.

Just loving this little guy. It's the most incredible thing I've ever held in my hand (well, except for little joey downstairs, of course). I can't put it down (my passport, that is). I'll be posting yet another unboxing on youtube of my red pp soon.

So so glad I took the plunge and went Blackberry.
    bb624 likes this.
    07-19-15 09:52 AM
    Start by running the latest autoloader

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 10:35 AM
    First thing, open the box. Next, when you open the box, twist your nipples to stimulate a burning sensation while removing the phone from the box.

Silly boy, you're turning me on!

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    blambtn likes this.
    07-19-15 11:21 AM
    Use it!

I know, it sounds like in just joking but I'm not. Use the heck out of it. That keyboard is going to take some getting used to so you may want to download a typing app to practice with. Honestly, I have been a long time BlackBerry user and it took me a good 3 weeks before I could say that I was completely comfortable on it.
    I found an app called "type tutor" and it really improved my speed and accuracy. I am sure that just typing the messages that you need to will have the same effect but I really wanted to be able to fly around on the keyboard.
    07-19-15 11:34 AM
    I suggest that while you await delivery, install these on your PC: BlackBerry Blend, BlackBerry Link and sachesi. Also, find and download Snap all these go on your PC. The first three can be installed but only after you get your phone will you be able to install Snap to your phone by using sachesi.

Also, even though it's new, a good way to start is to ensure your OS is actually fresh and running latest official OS. Start BlackBerry Link on your PC then connect Passport to PC via USB. From BBLINK main menu open back up and restore and in there you can do a Factory Reset. Part of FR you'll be run through a very basic primer on using you PP.

Now for Apps, the PP comes with a link to BlackBerry World and Amazon App Store. I suggest using any App from BBW first, but if you cannot locate in BBW, I suggest trying out same Apps from both Amazon and Google Play via Snap as one may work better then the other,,,, the same App from Amazon may work better than the same App downloaded from GPS or vice versa.

Once you've done a Factory Reset thru BlackBerry Link, do a hard restart by pressing and holding both up and down volume keys continually until screen goes black. It will create a picture of whatever on screen at the time as that is also how to do a screen shot but without continuing until screen goes black.

Then assuming you downloaded and installed sachesi on your PC already, open sachesi, when fully open attach Passport to PC via USB and sachesi will find it and ID it of which you will confirm. Then open sachesi Install Tab. Then, assuming you already downloaded the Snap APK, simply drag the downloaded Snap anywhere into the sachesi Install window where sachesi will unzip, and install Snap on your Passport. When you see that it completed you can take phone off USB. PS, I suggest that any time you use sachesi to install APK'S that you put phone in Airplane mode.

Then, after any installs of APK'S Or wild OS updates, restart your phone before and after to make sure all Apps are closed prior to making changes and afterwards to make sure the system can locate and ID and set up any new Apps or APK'S.

This all will give the best starting point and teach you about all the standard stuff!

Also, when your all done, go back to BlackBerry Link and do a Back Up.

If you get an SD memory card, the phone will see it and do a little set of the SD card asking if you prefer to send photos and other such items on the SD card as will the camera when using the first time after inserting a new SD card.

PS: For starters on upgrading to latest in the wild OS, only download those that are called, BLITZ and should run on all devices plus they are NON-Destructive which means they won't delete any of you setting nor pictures nor documents etc. Go to CB Forums, BB10 HUB, BB10 Leaked/Beta OS and you'll find a post this, the latest OS Blitz release which you'll click on the link and download through the posters Mega account! Once downloaded, it is just this simple, Restart phone to close up Apps, Put phone in Airplane Mode, open sachesi, attach phone to pc via USB, if not already open to sachesi's Install folder, then click open sachesi Install TAB, then simply locat the download blitz, drag it anywhere into sachesi Install window where sachesi takes over by unzipping the blitz and then installing onto your phone, NOTE you can select in sachesi to only install new files not on your phone which makes it go quicker, but many want to make sure its the freshest install and let it write over files already on phone as well as install files not on phone as well as files then are there but needed a fix, I suggest a total new fresh install of blitz.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by mawil1013; 07-19-15 at 12:44 PM.
    07-19-15 12:23 PM
    Just keep in mind that android apps which utilize Google play services won't work unfortunately but most android apps works flawlessly!

Also read up and familiarize yourself with side loading and installing a leak for the latest os update! It will improve the functionality of your device BUT make sure you read up and understand how to do this before attempting as WE do not want you to brick your device.
     Passport SQW100-1 / leak 10.3.2.2204 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB
    But, try a Google App first, often they will always start up with a notice saying they won't work without G Play Services but some will still work! Never know until you try!
    07-19-15 12:32 PM
    But, try a Google App first, often they will always start up with a notice saying they won't work without G Play Services but some will still work! Never know until you try!
    Or just install all of Cobalt's stuff and get fully functioning Google Services and apps?
    07-19-15 12:33 PM
    I suggest that while you await delivery, install these on your PC: BlackBerry Blend, BlackBerry Link and sachesi. Also, find and download Snap all these go on your PC. The first three can be installed but only after you get your phone will you be able to install Snap to your phone by using sachesi.

Also, even though it's new, a good way to start is to ensure your OS is actually fresh and running latest official OS. Start BlackBerry Link on your PC then connect Passport to PC via USB. From BBLINK main menu open back up and restore and in there you can do a Factory Reset. Part of FR you'll be run through a very basic primer on using you PP.

Now for Apps, the PP comes with a link to BlackBerry World and Amazon App Store. I suggest using any App from BBW first, but if you cannot locate in BBW, I suggest trying out same Apps from both Amazon and Google Play via Snap as one may work better then the other,,,, the same App from Amazon may work better than the same App downloaded from GPS or vice versa.

Once you've done a Factory Reset thru BlackBerry Link, do a hard restart by pressing and holding both up and down volume keys continually until screen goes black. It will create a picture of whatever on screen at the time as that is also how to do a screen shot but without continuing until screen goes black.

Then assuming you downloaded and installed sachesi on your PC already, open sachesi, when fully open attach Passport to PC via USB and sachesi will find it and ID it of which you will confirm. Then open sachesi Install Tab. Then, assuming you already downloaded the Snap APK, simply drag the downloaded Snap anywhere into the sachesi Install window where sachesi will unzip, and install Snap on your Passport. When you see that it completed you can take phone off USB. PS, I suggest that any time you use sachesi to install APK'S that you put phone in Airplane mode.

Then, after any installs of APK'S Or wild OS updates, restart your phone before and after to make sure all Apps are closed prior to making changes and afterwards to make sure the system can locate and ID and set up any new Apps or APK'S.

This all will give the best starting point and teach you about all the standard stuff!

Also, when your all done, go back to BlackBerry Link and do a Back Up.

If you get an SD memory card, the phone will see it and do a little set of the SD card asking if you prefer to send photos and other such items on the SD card as will the camera when using the first time after inserting a new SD card.

PS: For starters on upgrading to latest in the wild OS, only download those that are called, BLITZ and should run on all devices plus they are NON-Destructive which means they won't delete any of you setting nor pictures nor documents etc. Go to CB Forums, BB10 HUB, BB10 Leaked/Beta OS and you'll find a post this, the latest OS Blitz release which you'll click on the link and download through the posters Mega account! Once downloaded, it is just this simple, Restart phone to close up Apps, Put phone in Airplane Mode, open sachesi, attach phone to pc via USB, if not already open to sachesi's Install folder, then click open sachesi Install TAB, then simply locat the download blitz, drag it anywhere into sachesi Install window where sachesi takes over by unzipping the blitz and then installing onto your phone, NOTE you can select in sachesi to only install new files not on your phone which makes it go quicker, but many want to make sure its the freshest install and let it write over files already on phone as well as install files not on phone as well as files then are there but needed a fix, I suggest a total new fresh install of blitz.

Posted via CB10
    Holy! That was quite the reply. OK will do. I already installed a few of the things you mentioned as well as updated the OS. Thanks for all the great replies. This is an extremely informative forum.
    07-19-15 12:50 PM
31 12