I've been using iPhone since 2007. I use it with my iMac and iCloud. I'm seriously considering dumping it and getting a BB Passport. Have other iPhone/Mac/iCloud users dumped their iPhone and gotten a BB Passport? BB Blend looks cool and appears to run on a Mac. I hate typing on iPhones. It never works right for me. I'm wondering what the grass will be like on the other side if I dump iPhone and jump to BB Passport. But I need to stay with my Mac, which I love. I'm interested in other people's experiences. Thanks.
    gokulesh, datgur1, datgrl1 and 1 others like this.
    10-15-14 08:58 PM
    I'm a former Mac user, recently switched back to Windows and using a Passport as my first BlackBerry device. Keyboard is incredible - the experience can't be beaten by touchscreen keyboards. To be honest, in two weeks I was typing on my Passport as if I'd been using it for years, and the only thing that will hit you is the app issue.

Sure you can get near enough any app you want by sideloading, but I've had issues with numerous apps not appearing brilliantly on my screen. A small price to pay and I suspect things will get better still.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:06 PM
    Well for starters you will have hands down the premier unified inbox (hub), best mobile browser period. A dedicated file manager, multitasking that is very powerful and IMHO the best on any mobile device. Access to BlackBerry world apps as well as amazon app store.

You can download the 1mobile app store which has over 800 000 android apps by simply downloading the apk file through the amazing BlackBerry 10 browser.

IMHO you with BlackBerry 10 you will be upping to a more capable mobile experience and leaving behind a dumbed down mobile experience.

Look into BlackBerry blend as well.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:09 PM
    Well I don't think icloud storage will work but dropbox, box, and onedrive all do. You should be able to setup your account but I never added mine.

I have a macbook but honestly don't use it all that much anymore. I just think os x has been going downhill since around leopard and my PC is more powerful but blend should work well with it. The one issue you might run into is that if you're the type to want to try out leaked software versions then you need a windows install to use the autoloader for loading.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by matt4pack; 10-15-14 at 09:48 PM.
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    10-15-14 09:30 PM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I hate typing on iPhone too!!

Loving the Passport experience and Blend!!

Posted via CB10
    MasterJediDan, miketko and thedose like this.
    10-15-14 09:37 PM
    I have an iMac running OS Mavericks and Blend works good, I have had no problems with it (been a week and a half only though). As far as I know you can put your iCloud info on a BlackBerry. They have some info on this site as well as BlackBerry's website or even Google it. I've had my Passport for almost a week and a half and I couldn't be happier. Keyboard takes a few days to get used to but it works great. I left iPhone after bad experiences with the phones and OS. I did have a 3GS, 4, 4S and a 5 before I got a BB Z30. Haven't regret it one bit.
    10-15-14 09:43 PM
    I went back to Blackberry for one reason the keyboard having used iPhone and Android I had gotten sick and tired of the touch screen keyboards. For me, my needs changed from playing games and surfing to doing serious work I get about 50 to 75 emails a day and using the keyboard has made my life a lot easier and the typing more accurate. However if you have never used a BlackBerry there is steep learning curve and it will take you about a 1 to 2 weeks to get used to it. If you do make the switch don't get discouraged for the first bit you will do fine. Think about how you can work all day on it and not worrying about having to charge your phone. Like you do on a iPhone or android phone. Good luck I hope you make the switch and welcome to Crackberry nation.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 09:50 PM
    Sunshine

Z10, STL100-1, 10.3.0.1052, Awaiting my Passport
    datgrl1 likes this.
    10-15-14 09:59 PM
    A bold feeling of professional uniqueness.

Sent using the wondefurl BlackBerry Passport
    MasterJediDan and tg1 like this.
    10-16-14 12:34 AM
    I've been using iPhone since 2007. I use it with my iMac and iCloud. I'm seriously considering dumping it and getting a BB Passport. Have other iPhone/Mac/iCloud users dumped their iPhone and gotten a BB Passport? BB Blend looks cool and appears to run on a Mac. I hate typing on iPhones. It never works right for me. I'm wondering what the grass will be like on the other side if I dump iPhone and jump to BB Passport. But I need to stay with my Mac, which I love. I'm interested in other people's experiences. Thanks.
    You'll be able to get your iCloud contacts, email, and calendar no problem. You don't need to sideload Android apps anymore either. Most people shouldn't have much of an app gap anymore.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:22 AM
    Freed from that darned home button

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:26 AM
    A breath of fresh air!

Posted via CB10
    tg1 likes this.
    10-16-14 01:28 AM
    A few things you night miss would be icloud, and I mean that mostly for recovery and upgrading iphones, nothing is that seemless on another platform. Apps is a huge issue so kind of depends how into apps you are and what apps exactly. iMessage could be an issue if you used it on you mac and phone, can't do that anymore.

All that being said, if none of that is a deal-breaker, I think you should give it a shot. Passport is an incredible device. Should be a nice change of scenary for you, you just need to give it a chance.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:36 AM
    The grass will much depends on one ability to learn and adopt to new ecosystem and what's their value.

It is kindda sad that despite hate using the product but stuck for it for a long time without exploring better options out there.

I personally value accuracy and typing feedback which screen typing in whatever non keyboard phones wont able to give. I am also quite open to learn and don't like to be stuck at relativity and being dictate by mass opinion. Therefore ios never able to satisfy. Passport is able to fulfil my requirement for time being

Posted via Passport
    10-16-14 01:49 AM
    I used to use an iPhone 4S with iCloud backup and syncing to the iPad and MacBook Pro. I got the Z30 a year ago. I exported my contacts and calendars to Gmail. Photos are set to upload to Box and OneDrive automatically over wifi and also backed up to my MBP. Export docs created by Pages to Word, upload to Dropbox just in case I need to edit them. I love the file manager. I can rename files and attach multiple PDFs on an email with ease. I don't use my iPad anymore. I read ebooks on Kindle app. Watch Netflix during down time. BB10 on the Z30 is truly a pocket computer. You'd enjoy the change and the learning.

Zoom Zoom Z30
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    10-16-14 02:03 AM
    I'm a Mac fanboy myself but not an iPhone fan. Blackberry do compliments Mac well.

You should be asking yourself what do you need out of your phone. I don't suggest you switch to BB if you're expecting millions of apps and games to choose from. If you're willing to leave the apps ecosystem behind and looking for productivity and functionality, then the Passport would be well suited for you.

Personally I wouldn't want to see you switch to Blackberry and feel disappointed. That would leave you on a sour note. The last thing us Blackberry fans need is another iPhone user telling the world his bad and negative experience with Blackberry.

I love the keyboard on the passport. The first time I saw the demo unit at the store, the typing became so natural for me it brought memories of my old days of using the Blackberry Bold. After 4 miserable years of using Android, I'm totally going back to Blackberry when my Passport arrives from Amazon.

Productivity is the key reason why I love Blackberry. Here is an example why. I have tried my best to like and force myself to use the Android calendar but I couldn't get myself to love it enough to use it. During my 4 years with Android, I had to carry around an agenda book along with my phone. Prior to that I would always be typing out my daily schedules on a Blackberry keyboard. Love it!

In terms of apps, I've downloaded a ton of Android apps on my previous Android phones but only used 3 of them occasionally. Not a problem for me at all to switch back to Blackberry.

In conclusion, Blackberry and iPhones are in two completely different worlds. Do yourself a favour and choose the right world. Don't choose it because you think one is cooler then the other.
    10-16-14 02:34 AM
    Redemption!
    10-16-14 05:01 AM
    I'm in the same boat... a Mac user with an iPad and an iPhone since around 2009. When I started out with the iPhone I, like most people, got into downloading all of the new and amazing apps for every function that I might come across but now probably only use a half a dozen on a regular basis other than communication: waze and google maps, whatsapp, twitter, skype, instagram from time to time... 90% of my current daily use revolves around communication and appointments. Communication has become a burden with the iPhone 5 so I have been considering a switch to Passport for sure.

This feed helps, thanks a bunch!!

One detail: a student of mine just bought the iPhone 6 and typing seems to have improved with the larger screen size.

Anyone make a direct comparison of the typing experience on the Passport with that of the iPhone 6?

Obs: Just hoping I can find a Passport when I get back to Canada at the end of the month...
    MasterJediDan likes this.
    10-16-14 05:50 AM
    The biggest loss will probably be the connectivity with icloud/mac/ios. BB doesn't have that type of tightness. You will have to rely on 3rd party backup for pictures/files/etc. Not saying it cant be done but it just doesn't work as easy as will iOS or android. Browsing experience should be fine. You might want to list absolute must have apps to make sure you can get them on the passport without issue. There were some big issues with bb software and mac playing nice but I think that is on a case by case basis and it does work perfectly fine for some
    10-16-14 06:03 AM
    Contact management is different.

All your stuff should transfer over fine -- iTunes library, contacts (I synced with my Gmail account), etc.

Things are a little more do-it-yourself on a Blackberry, but once you get it set up right, it really flows nicely.

As of today, once my Passport arrives, I'll have both an iPhone 6 and a Passport. Right now am carrying the 6 and a Z30. (BB for work email and calls.)
    10-16-14 06:18 AM
    One thing I never liked about ios was app switching and handling notifications. Double pressing home button is awful. I had webos (pre 3) before my iPhone and that was unbelievable, and thankfully BB10 adopted many of their features like gestures and active frames (BlackBerry almost bought WebOS, shame it fell through)

App switching is so much more fluid with BB10 using gestures compared to ios. And the hub, well that's just a priceless feature. The ability to run android apps further helps to transition in to BB10 from other platforms.

Below is my setup:

Contacts and Calendar: BB10 syncs well with iCloud, which are synced with my mac/ipad. Calendar entries from the passport will show in fantastical on my ipad or mac.

Notes: shame BB10 doesn't sync the notes app from ios. But I use an app called simplenote (android) which syncs fast with the ipad and mac. The version runs great on the Passport

Tasks: haven't figured this one out yet. I used omnifocus or things app in ios/mac and they were amazing apps. Unfortunately none of them have android versions. It would be awesome if I could find an app which shows my data from the native remember app on my ios devices. One option I'm considering is Todoist (android) which has ios and mac apps.

Password manager: using 1Password android app on the Passport, which syncs well with the rest.

Research database: I use Evernote as it's integrated well with BB10. Evernote is available on any platform.

Personal Finance: I use Moneywiz android app to sync with my other devices. The app functions decently well on the passport.

Journal: I use DayOne on ios and mac devices. It's an amazing app. Unfortunately there is no android version. I manage to find an android app which exports to DayOne and the UI is similar to DayOne too. The app functions well on the passport.

News: I use feedly services for news. BB10 has only one app called Gnewsreader which syncs with this service. The app is not visually stunning but can't fault its functionality. I now use an app called Press (android) which is really nice, comparable to reader app on ios.
    For read later services, I use pocket app (android).

Hope this guide helps anyone who are on the fence about passport. This phone is a true gem if you give it time to learn it. Yes, iPhone 6 is an outstanding phone and apple ecosystem is unmatched, but if you are looking for something exciting (and productive!), the passport is the one...

Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    10-16-14 07:57 AM
    IPhone user trying to map an address: 4 digit lock screen, Home button, find Maps app, open, mistype the address a few times, finds address.

BlackBerry : picture password, one move, swipe to maps, type two or three letters of the street name, auto fill generally finds the address.

My good friend is a a kool-aid drinking member of the cult of Mac and will insist superiority, even as my Z10 is giving us the first turn while he is still hunting the app.

Keyboard shortcuts on the keyboard ed phones? Use the menus if you like, but R to reply to an email saves several moves. The more learned you become the faster it gets.

I am a heavy Web surfer/reader, so having the option to use the desktop site is a plus.

And many of the better mobile sites are much faster, albeit more basic than using the app. Amazon and PayPal come to mind.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 08:24 AM
    What to say about the passport?
    It's the best BlackBerry we have. I'm a mac user. I'm also a iphone lover.
    I was in Berlin and waited for the iphone in the row with thousands other.
    I also have a vertu signature touch

What can a longtime iPhone/Mac/iCloud user expect if he/she dumps iPhone and jumps to BB Passport?-img_20141017_100150.jpg

It's a really nice phone. Something special. Exclusive.

Then I ordered the passport on amazon UK.

The passport is absolutely special. When I compare it with the iphone, I see that the iphone 6 and the plus, these are only iphone. The BlackBerry is the passport.

As a mac user I can say I have no problems to use the BlackBerry. All my mails are on Google apps. BlackBerry blend works great, and for me the BlackBerry blend is one of the best things.

I'm really satisfied with the passport. Excellent display. All other phones are small now. They have not this great display. They haven't the keyboard. I'm fire ing out the emails here like on no ther smartphone. The battery is really good. Heavy usage when I'm on the way, from 7am to 7pm.
    And that's good for me.

At the moment I'm using the passport as my main device and I'm happy with the passport.
    The iphone makes me to nervous with his ping pong bang bum notifications.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:27 AM
    I'm a longtime Mac user, but never had an iPhone. Blackberry syncs perfectly with iCloud. All my contacts and calender-items are in the Cloud. There is no need to use an iPhone if you are a Mac user.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 03:56 AM
    I'm a longtime Mac user, but never had an iPhone. Blackberry syncs perfectly with iCloud. All my contacts and calender-items are in the Cloud. There is no need to use an iPhone if you are a Mac user.

Posted via CB10
    That's right

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:32 AM
63 123