I have been using the Passport for about a month now. Sometimes, when I am on a call, the person I am speaking with has told me that my voice seems to be 'drifting in & out' (my voice seems to be initially strong & clearly audible and then becomes weak and then becomes clear again). I initially thought that this 'waxing & waning' could be due to my hand movements shifting the positioning of the microphones - however, on a test, the hand movements didn't seem to be the reason.

I was on the initial factory release of OS 1052 and have recently updated OTA to 1418. I have had these remarks on both of these versions.

Has this been faced by others?

The OTA Update to SR 10.3.1.1565 seems to have solved this Issue!
    Last edited by AshokGov; 02-23-15 at 01:47 PM.
    11-02-14 01:59 PM
    bluetooth is a great invention try it

posted via my passport
    11-02-14 02:40 PM
    Bluetooth sucks

Posted via CB10
    jupiter8, dale-c, Evindzer and 1 others like this.
    11-02-14 02:59 PM
    Lol far from a solution. One could also say the bundled headset is a great invention. Use it

Posted via CB10
    Evindzer and ChainPunch like this.
    11-02-14 03:52 PM
    I hate to start off on a "holding it wrong" Apple-esque rant but, just be mindful of your pinkie finger. If you have a habit of supporting the phone by resting it on your pinkie (like myself) there is a chance you are occasionally covering one of the many mic ports on the phone. Sadly the bottom one being the most important, this could explain it. Of course could also be the "natural sound" software being buggy? Doubt hardware unless it totally cuts out from time to time. Or reception...

I haven't received that complaint yet but also haven't had it very long yet.
    11-02-14 04:07 PM
    bluetooth is a great invention try it

posted via my passport
    I do use Bluetooth - but, there are many times when I have to use the Device directly. Plus, Bluetooth can only be a 'workaround'!
    11-03-14 11:07 AM
    I hate to start off on a "holding it wrong" Apple-esque rant but, just be mindful of your pinkie finger. If you have a habit of supporting the phone by resting it on your pinkie (like myself) there is a chance you are occasionally covering one of the many mic ports on the phone. Sadly the bottom one being the most important, this could explain it. Of course could also be the "natural sound" software being buggy? Doubt hardware unless it totally cuts out from time to time. Or reception...

Thanks for your inputs. The reception has been pretty weak in my residential area for a while now. On the 9900, there were many times when I didn't register a signal - the Passport seems to be registering a signal at most times! Of course, the strength of the signal could be fluctuating - I hope this has nothing to do with the Device or Software!!!
    11-03-14 11:10 AM
    Call quality has been great on my Passport. No complaints.

Posted via CB10
    Evindzer likes this.
    11-03-14 11:36 AM

Your explanation is good. One additional thing: where are those mics located ? 2 at the bottom, one in the ear piece & the 4th one ? Pls put a drawing - i remember images better.
    11-03-14 12:32 PM
    My reception at home is fairly weak. Previous to the passport used a z30, and I had someone say the other day that the quality of the call was amazing, and actually asked if I had a new phone. (they didn't know that I had upgraded to the passport)

Posted via CB10
    Skyforever likes this.
    11-03-14 01:02 PM
    Sound quality and reception are killer. I've been able to receive (and more importantly, maintain) calls in my office that with my last few phones (including a Torch2) I just couldn't do. No complaints from the other end, either. I'm mighty impressed with the antenna and audio quality, especially in "fringe" coverage.
    Skyforever likes this.
    11-03-14 01:09 PM
    I'm on the official Rogers Wireless 10.3.0.908 os and call quality whether direct on device or via speaker phone is excellent!

Posted via Passport OS 10.3.0.908/Rogers Wireless
    11-03-14 01:11 PM
    Location itself might be a factor

Posted from zee flicking coolest smartphone evah!
    11-03-14 01:16 PM
    Telus .908 and have had no complaints BT,speaker or handset. In fact only some surprised callers who are amazed of the call quality from a cell phone.

Posted CB10->BB Passport
    11-03-14 01:23 PM
    Although no one has ever complained about the HD Phone Quality from the Z30. All my friends have commented how the call quality has improved with the Passport. BlackBerry (apparently) has found a way to add an improvement to the features (clarity and reception) on The Passport.
    11-03-14 01:43 PM
    Thanks for your inputs. The reception has been pretty weak in my residential area for a while now. On the 9900, there were many times when I didn't register a signal - the Passport seems to be registering a signal at most times! Of course, the strength of the signal could be fluctuating - I hope this has nothing to do with the Device or Software!!!
    It seems your problem is with location and low signal reception.
    Did you experience the same when signal is strong at different location?
    11-03-14 02:11 PM
    It seems your problem is with location and low signal reception.
    Did you experience the same when signal is strong at different location?
    As of now, the only places where I have had the other person make a comment is when I have been at home. Weak signal could be a very likely cause!

In general, as I had mentioned before (and as been so eloquently mentioned by quite a few others), the Antenna on the Passport seems to be vastly superior to the earlier BB devices (at least when I compare with my immediate predecessor device - 9900) in that it is picking up signals where the 9900 didn't pick any. I seem to be able to hear with great clarity and for the most part this also seems to be the case with my voice reaching the other party. So,it does seem that any transient deterioration could be due to fluctuating signal strength or my hands covering the mike in some manner etc. But, as yet, I cant be sure!
    11-03-14 02:46 PM
    I have no complaints on my end or from others concerning problems with the call quality. As for reception, this has been the best phone I have ever used.
    11-03-14 03:04 PM
    Your explanation is good. One additional thing: where are those mics located ? 2 at the bottom, one in the ear piece & the 4th one ? Pls put a drawing - i remember images better.
    I think there are two mics in the back one bottom and I guess one top

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 03:33 PM
    So funny how some responses are completely irrelevant, "use Bluetooth". How is that possibly a solution?

I'd second Those saying that it may be that you're covering a mic, I've used mine in construction sites without a problem, and without a moronic Bluetooth earpiece.
    andy957 and gottawee like this.
    11-03-14 03:59 PM
    I usually use the headset that came with the passport and call quality has been great so far. The people I was talking to on the other end didn't complain either

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 05:03 PM
    It's actually just one at the bottom, one in the ear piece, and two stereo microphones at each side of the rear camera.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    11-03-14 05:19 PM
    I recently upgraded to 10.3.1.1016 and noticed a tremendous change not only with call quality but also with antenae reception. I am really pleased with this leaked OS.
    Loading it is very easy: see stickies and Sachesi
    I too had reception wander in an out in poor areas but this has changed dramatically with this update.

Cloaking Device & Special Opps Commander for the Peevishlicious Crew on SQW-100-1 10.3.1.1016
    11-03-14 07:30 PM
    Better quality than the Z30 to my experience.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-04-14 02:38 PM
    I was speaking a friend of mine earlier today. Today was his 1st day with his Passport. When I called him to check on his 1st day experience, I felt his voice fade away quite drastically and then float back in and again fade away! When I mentioned that to him and suggested that he may be covering some of the microphones, he said he wasn't! When he shifted to the supplied ear-phones, his voice was completely stable. I was on my Bluetooth when I had initially called and he mentioned that my voice was very clear. When i tested without the Bluetooth, he said that my voice did fade a bit on & off. In both our cases, when we used our earphones or Bluetooth, the audio quality for the listener was very clear - however, with just the device, it had the 'waxing & waning' effect!

However, I have not had this mentioned to me by too many folks. Just 2 people have mentioned this to me so far. To be honest, I am puzzled as to the cause of this!!!

If I do manage to get to the root of this, I will provide an update!
    11-04-14 03:42 PM
69 123