Hello,

I would like to use my BB Passport to play music stored on a Mac via file sharing (SMB). What app would you recommend? I have been searching and trying various apps but couldn't find one that works: some could not connect to the server, some could connect but doesn't have built-in media player. The best from what I have tried is X-plore (installed from Google Play after following the famous Cobalt's procedure), which does almost everything I need but it requires a donation ($4) to enable the media player.

On iPhone I use "FileExplorer: File Manager" from Skyjos which does what I need: browse files on a mac, play a file when I tap on it and then continue playing the next file in the same folder. Is there something similar for BB 10?

thanks,
    Tony
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    02-09-18 02:14 AM
    I love X-plore! The $4 might be steep (thought it was less), but when you go through that gigantic feature set, it might be worth it for a number of scenarios.
    (no, I don't work for Lonely Cat Games) ☺
    02-09-18 01:42 PM
    Have you tried Neutron Music Player? Works for me to access my music library on my NAS via SMB.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-18 04:58 PM
    I don't know if it works or not but there is a music app called clementine which is available for Linux/windows/mac on PC side and android(afaik) not sure there is a iOS version!
    The good point is that what ever PC app sees in its library you can play on phone but you need a modem or router to connect phone to PC!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-18 04:06 AM
    thank you for your input. Neutron Music Player looks great, but it's even more expensive than X-plore. I think I will just go with X-plore.
    02-11-18 05:48 AM
    True, but still updated and I like to reward that. I use it on both BB10 and Android, very customizable and great sound.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-18 07:09 AM
    Hello,

I would like to use my BB Passport to play music stored on a Mac via file sharing (SMB). What app would you recommend? I have been searching and trying various apps but couldn't find one that works: some could not connect to the server, some could connect but doesn't have built-in media player. The best from what I have tried is X-plore (installed from Google Play after following the famous Cobalt's procedure), which does almost everything I need but it requires a donation ($4) to enable the media player.

On iPhone I use "FileExplorer: File Manager" from Skyjos which does what I need: browse files on a mac, play a file when I tap on it and then continue playing the next file in the same folder. Is there something similar for BB 10?

thanks,
    Tony
    Google MiXplorer. It's the best file manager period, it's free and it will do exactly what you need. I have my Synology NAS connected, and didn't need to install any extra apps.
    Attached Thumbnails What app do you use for playing music from NAS or computer over WiFi?-51273.jpg  
    02-11-18 07:13 AM
    thank you for the hint about MiXplorer, very good app indeed. I will stay with this.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-13-18 08:12 AM
    thank you for the hint about MiXplorer, very good app indeed. I will stay with this.
    You're welcome. Take your time learning about all of its features. There are a lot of them.
    02-13-18 08:29 AM
    You're welcome. Take your time learning about all of its features. There are a lot of them.
    But the SMB plugin is two dollars or am I missing something?
    02-13-18 11:52 AM