So much attention has been given to one handed typing and whether it's practical. However it seems one thing has not been discussed and that is the fact that two handed typing is so much more comfortable. The device fills out your hands so much better. Going back to a q 10 is so awkward after being used to the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    naveedk and Lefty724 like this.
    01-13-15 09:55 PM
    The attention is going to 1HT and 1Heasy of use because 2HT is expected to be the default use mode.

But what happens when you only have ONE hand available? Hence the questions.
    01-13-15 10:12 PM
    Wait a min...I use 2 hands with my Q10...have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Posted with a smile...and a Q10
    naveedk, thymaster and RWB3325 like this.
    01-13-15 10:18 PM
    I agree 100%.

For me to type comfortably, I have to use 2 hands no matter which device I'm using.

The only difference now is that I don't text and drive with the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    Joey Vajda likes this.
    01-14-15 01:07 AM
    I have to agree. Typing with two hands on the Passport just feels right, but the one handed use of the phone is always going to be in question because we always don't have both hands available to type.

I find myself taking advantage of the voice dictation for sending texts on the go when my hands are busy or using one hand to type and swipe a few words.

Typed and swiped from my Passport.
    01-14-15 04:55 AM
    I use two hands, one to hold my phone and the other well one finger to type
    01-14-15 05:05 AM
    Exactly. All my past Android phone have been a 2 hand use routine. I don't understand why the Passport is a big deal? The Swype technology requires 2 hands, one to hold the phone and the other to move my index finger.

Wait a min...I use 2 hands with my Q10...have I been doing it wrong all this time?

01-14-15 05:09 AM
    Didn't think one handed typing is possible especially on a device such as the passport... anyways if you want things done fast and easy you gotta have both hand dipped into action.

CB10 Passporter
    01-14-15 07:01 AM
    Ive always used 2 hands regardless of the device. Much safer, and ergonomically correct.

If something is that important that I need to pound out an email, text, bbm, etc, then I'll make time to use both hands.
    thymaster and Lefty724 like this.
    01-14-15 07:07 AM
    With my Passport or the Q10 and Bold 9900 before it, I always used two-handed typing. I have the attitude that if it is inconvenient for me to type an email or answer a call, I just don't do it.

Communication is important, but other things take precedence in my life. If I'm driving, I will not even look at my phone if I get a call, text or other notification. If I'm walking, I may look at the phone, but I will not text or type. That can wait until I'm settled enough to focus on it. So I'm pretty much never in a situation where I only have one hand to type.

Two-handed typing is where it's at!
    01-14-15 07:35 AM
    Exactly! I've always wondered how on earth anyone can type effectively with 1 hand on any device, I always have an all touch as a secondary device and even with swiftkeys you still need both hands if you don't want to spend all day typing an sms or bbm. Emails one handed, forget it!
    01-14-15 07:37 AM
    I have always typed with 2 hands, curve, bold 9000 9900 9700 9710, torch, z10, q10, z30 and passport. Its just more accurate and comfortable.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 07:40 AM
    So, my point is that for many, the increase in two handed typing efficiency and comfort makes up for any drawbacks in one hand use.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 08:06 AM
    Ive always used 2 hands regardless of the device. Much safer, and ergonomically correct.

If something is that important that I need to pound out an email, text, bbm, etc, then I'll make time to use both hands.
    Pretty much sums it up right here ^^^!

Posted from my Spongeberry Passport using CB10
    01-14-15 08:39 AM
    Since day one with my Q10 I used two hands, nothing changed with the passport.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 09:08 AM
    I have always used two hands for typing on the physical keyboard devices, and one hand for the virtual. However, typing is not the only function you do on the phone. The device should be comfortable enough for one handed use for pretty much everything else, such as browsing, moving from screen to screen, multi-tasking, answering the phone (except on Classic, of course!), etc. That's where the form factor of the phones like the Q10 and Classic come handy!
    j21jam6 likes this.
    01-14-15 09:28 AM
    Two handed typing on the Passport is a steep learning curve.

After 4 months of ownership I am still slower than with the Q10. I find that my left finger needs to bend and this causes some discomfort with long emails.

There are many possible re-designs that I could suggest whilst keeping the device the same size...

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 09:41 AM
    Index fingers?!? Blackberry loyalists know the only way to type is with 2 thumbs - anything less and you're not giving it the attention it deserves - fingers are for sneaking icing off the cake

alan510 likes this.
    01-14-15 12:51 PM
    Index fingers?!? Blackberry loyalists know the only way to type is with 2 thumbs - anything less and you're not giving it the attention it deserves - fingers are for sneaking icing off the cake

Who said they used index fingers?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 02:00 PM
    Just as long as people learn to type out the full words instead of text speak shortforms. I can handle an LOL or OMG here and there but typing sentences with short forms when the number of characters isn't limited, is down right silly.

I've seen a number of examples of people typing things like "guyz" instead of "guys" If you're going to take the effort to type 4 characters, at least get them right.

/end grammar nazi moment

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    j21jam6 likes this.
    01-19-15 02:14 PM

Thumbs up to you! I too have only used my thumbs for typing.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 02:19 PM
    I sometimes miss gesture/swipe typing on my Android. It was really good for cracking out a short, quick reply to a text.

That said, given the choice between gesture typing and a physical keyboard, I'll take the physical keyboard any day. The whole point of it is accuracy and the gesture typing was just the opposite (hence why i only used it for short, simple texts)
    01-19-15 05:31 PM