Why does phones like the passport has 4 microphones? is it one for talk, and 3 for noise cancelation, and noise cancelation is better with more Mics? Is it for some kind of stereo recording?

I've always been curious, if anybody can give me some insight on that matter
    Last edited by Joao Oliveira; 07-21-14 at 05:41 PM.
    07-21-14 05:19 PM
    Multiple microphones allows for noise cancellation and surrounding pick-up when video recording. They are tiny, but surprisingly strong, nowadays. And yes, since most devices record video in hi Def, stereo would be a good thing to have to go with that video. Each channel has two mics.
    07-21-14 05:27 PM
    Also, it's better for calling with external speaker enabled...
    Joao Oliveira likes this.
    07-22-14 09:18 AM
    One for the NSA, one for the CIA, one for Homeland security and one for you. To use.

/just kidding. In case anyone thought I was serious.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:18 PM
    BlackBerry Natural Sound?
    Even better sound quality that Z30?

Passport will have to beat it... :-)

Pasted via CB chen
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    07-23-14 06:28 AM
    OP there are multiple reasons for 4 mics on the device

1. Noise Cancellation - Background noise is eliminated during a phone call, for crystal clear ultra HD voice

2. Stereo recording for videos - When videos recorded from your Passport are played on the Home Theatre, you can distinguish between sounds coming from the left and right which gives you the Surround Sound experience..

3. Voice Dictation & Voice Recognition - Better audio captured during dictation to phone or speaking with Virtual Assistant

4. Natural Sound - For amazing 3D call quality

With BlackBerry Passport, BlackBerry Natural Sound technology gets even better. This superior audio experience was previously available only on BBM Voice calls. On Passport, the same effect has been adapted to work with cellular voice calls, too. There are four microphones onboard that help adapt the audio levels in real time to my ambient environment and position of the phone relative to my ear. This is, in part, how Natural Sound provides a dynamic and clear audio experience for me AND the other caller. I was curious how this worked, so asked one of our product managers to explain. They mentioned that one of the four microphones is placed in the receiver port to detect the ear position relative to the phone in order to adjust the sound accordingly.

The aim is to provide an experience that is as close to an in-person conversation as possible. In my use with the device, it sometimes sounds as though I?m in the same room as the other person. On top of this, there are stereo speakers providing tablet-like volume when I enter a board room with multiple participants (it sounds great jamming tunes on the weekend, as well).
    07-23-14 06:45 AM
    I hope the speaker phone is as good as the old HTC Touch Pro 2. That phone was a mobile beast in its day.....the speakerphone and call quality were top notch. Im on Sprint network and we never had the Z30 to choose from.....and from what I hear the z30 speakerphone is similar to the tp2
    07-23-14 08:34 AM
    I hope the speaker phone is as good as the old HTC Touch Pro 2. That phone was a mobile beast in its day.....the speakerphone and call quality were top notch. Im on Sprint network and we never had the Z30 to choose from.....and from what I hear the z30 speakerphone is similar to the tp2
    Sound quality on Z30 for phone calls or especially BBM voice/video is absolutely unbeatable, even in a pretty noisy environment.

I was carrying on a BBM voice conversation while walking on a busy street a couple weeks ago, and both of us were amazed at how good it was, with almost no discernable background hiss and very crisp voice tones.

Q10 ? The Other Crackberry Pirate ? Z30
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-31-14 12:30 PM
    Conference calling? Laying the passport on the table and having everyone around it talking heard loud and clear?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 06:19 PM
    Stereo recording for video or voice is not something the Passport will have as publicly stated in one of the comments by an employee over the last post regarding this hardware.

? BlackBerry Z30 ? If it Don't Make Dollars, It don't Make Sense ?
    08-01-14 09:21 AM