Well I thank everyone for participating in this friendly thread . I have sold the device and will be picking up an S6 Edge. See y'all around. Wish there was a way for me to close or delete the thread.
    08-13-15 07:27 PM
    Honest opinion - Its a pretty boring reason!

You bought a new device - be happy. You don't like it - You buy a new device!

Posted via CB10
    ehh nothing against the device, but it was a let down spending $600 for a device that broke down so fast. I think it has to do more with how the CSR handled the situation rather than the device itself.
    08-13-15 07:30 PM
    Well I thank everyone for participating in this friendly thread . I have sold the device and will be picking up an S6 Edge. See y'all around. Wish there was a way for me to close or delete the thread.
    Wait, you're leaving without starting another thread about leaving and then never coming back to respond to any replies?
    08-13-15 07:33 PM
    Wait, you're leaving without starting another thread about leaving and then never coming back to respond to any replies?
    Awwwee , there's that cute little witty comment I was waiting for. Don't worry, daddy will be around!
    08-13-15 08:04 PM
    BlackBerry will be here awaiting your return.
    08-13-15 08:09 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. Not that it matters. Same result for BBRY customers.

Really? You don't think there are AAPL fanboys who claim that their OS is bug free? Glad to be able to set you straight - there are plenty. Some of them used to delight in hanging around here and crowing about how badly BBRY was doing. I haven't been around in a while so I don't know if they've moved on.

...you're joking, right?
    No, I can't recall off the top of my head EVER hearing an Apple fanboy claim iOS was "bugfree". Feel free to quote someone on CB if there are so many.

And no, I wasn't joking about my simple question. You're using uncommon (ambiguous) terminology instead of the actual, shorter and more common terminology. So if you don't go for actual, simpler or more common, I'm asking wtf would you keep saying that. But I'm also the person who wonders why people can't use their f**#(*# autocomplete/flickup to make actual words instead of spending more time on making acronyms when there is no need to be cheap on characters (ie, twitter's 140 character limit, or typing on 10 year old flip phones with the old style way of typing letters). *sigh*
    08-13-15 08:49 PM
    I've had pretty decent service with Blackberry.

I had dropped my Z30 a while back and broke the LCD, and Blackberry sent me a box to send it back in and had it back to me fixed in 1-1/2 weeks at no charge (not even shipping). I believe I had damaged my MicroHDMI port so I didn't elect for the swap.

For the swap they do place a large hold, but it is the original retail price + whatever charges they incur from shipping - any discounts or price drops at purchase are not accounted for, but it's not like you're trying to game the system instead of buying a new phone at the discount right? They do that to ensure that you actually send them back the phone and that it's damage is covered under warranty. You can elect to have your phone returned and give back the replacement at no charge though. This is a pretty standard practice.
    Good for you. You're in the minority.
    My issue was escalated to BlackBerry head office in Waterloo. Dealing directly with BlackBerry head office you would think I would get somewhere. They sent me a phone that has more issues that the one I originally purchased. 5 months later it has yet to be resolved.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 10:09 PM
    Just don't become one those guys that continues to haunt CB after they switch to another brand just for the sake of bashing BlackBerry.
    Enjoy your new device and move on.

Posted via CB10
    ROROSLIM likes this.
    08-13-15 10:51 PM
    While it would be nice for BlackBerry to offer a "one-handed mode" like the Galaxy Note lineup, it's going to be far less efficient because the physical keyboard can't resize. So any typing, one-handed, is out of the question.

You knew exactly what you were getting into size-wise when purchasing this device. If you buy a truck, you can't complain that you can't fit in compact car parking spots...

yeah i think op sees that now. i think he just wants a smaller device.

i actually find the width to be suboptimal on mobile pages and apps
    08-13-15 10:55 PM
    I disagree. Sometimes I'm merely drinking a cup of tea, and reading the news on my Passport. I don't want to have to use it with both hands then...
    I do that all the time with my Passport. I turn it sideways and use the keyboard to scroll down while I hold my coffee with the other hand.

I won't deny there are legit one-hand use cases, but this isn't one of them.
    08-13-15 11:01 PM
    Honest opinion - Its a pretty boring reason!

You bought a new device - be happy. You don't like it - You buy a new device!

Posted via CB10
    Why don't you buy it for him?
    08-13-15 11:08 PM
    I do that all the time with my Passport. I turn it sideways and use the keyboard to scroll down while I hold my coffee with the other hand.

I won't deny there are legit one-hand use cases, but this isn't one of them.
    Isn't one of them, for you....

Posted with my  Classic
    08-13-15 11:09 PM
    Thank you! Well said, the device itself is amazing, no love lost there. My main issue is the whole replacement/repair process and "can't do" attitude these reps are having. To deal with them after a month of purchase was just bad. I can't have the device any more. Off to pastures new.

It is the unsure outcome that has me scared as I've read many people received faulty or non functional devices back. Hopefully I get one back in a decent condition for me to sell it.
    Selling it will mean a loss of a couple hundred. Why not give it a second chance?
    08-14-15 12:08 AM
    I've had this experience as well. Their policy is NOT unreasonable IMO. Standard in fact. And really can there be any other way ? They have to protect themselves. Anyway I will add that while DIGITAL RIVER process can be tiresome and it's sometimes hard to communicate in my experience they've done an admirable job. It's a tough gig. In the end I've got what I need every time and never had a problem with CC holds, payments or otherwise. You just have to have reasonable expectations, and a little ( ok more than a little) patience.
    Not entirely accurate. The choice is to be phoneless for two weeks while you send your device in for repairs. That option costs $0.

The alternative is to have the manufacturer rush you a second device so that you are NOT phoneless at all. Since you will have 2 devices, at least for some time, they hold funds on your credit card. When you receive the new device, you ship them the old. Once they receive the old, the hold is released.

Anyone not wanting to give a credit card should simply return their warranty device and use a spare until it is returned.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 02:05 AM
    There's no denying that BlackBerry aka digital river customer service is horrid. All those here defending them are in complete denial.

Hands down Apple customer service is the best out there in mobile, computers and laptops.

Posted via CB10
    Like when a failed forced software update completely bricked my youngest son's never-jailbroken iPhone 2 weeks out of warranty and the response from Apple was to tell him to buy a replacement at 180GBP? A SOFTWARE UPDATE.

Apple's customer service is not universally good. To believe that is naive at best.
    08-14-15 02:46 AM
    As an Apple employee and BlackBerry user... Don't compare the two companies....depends on the PERSON you're dealing with that provides the right customer service. Even with apple. Some stores are horrible and just want to get done with customers quickly so they give out whatever so ppl won't be mad, BlackBerry has their guidelines that they must follow. Best thing to do with companies that don't have a massive presence in the consumer market is to follow up ever 3 days. It's always gonna be a long waiting game especially when youre shipping things off
    mset likes this.
    08-14-15 03:42 AM
    I don't understand this need for a device to be one handed. What exactly are you doing "while also" using your device, that would warrant the need to use it one-handed? You can't possibly be using it safely, you have to be a danger to yourself or others, as you are obviously "on the move" I have had a Passport since launch, and others since 2005, I don't think I have ever had the need for it to be used one-handed. #justmyopinion
    On the subway and on the bus I hold on to the handrail with one hand and use my BB with the other. I guess not everybody travels on busy transport systems like this, but for me it helps and I get more things done because if it :-)
    08-14-15 06:18 AM
    Yes, I'm disturbed by all this too! I thought every aspect of the Blackberry experience was perfection. But this proves if there is one single, simple, not uncommon to any device or every other company, well, then, it's all junk. I agree, if I cannot have an absolutely flawless transaction then I agree that it's OK to totally trash and condemn the company and it's products and its services! Yes, yes, yes, I agree, to heck with the most wonderful phone of the last two years every devised! Bad customer service seals it for me, stupid Blackberry!
    08-14-15 06:25 AM
    I thought most companies do the holding fee just to make sure they'll be getting their device back, I figure that's standard prac for most companies. Hopefully I don't run into the same problems if I ever have to deal with BlackBerry support.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-15 08:22 AM
    BB is not really in the consumer device market anymore. Blackberry service of old was terrible, you had to go through the carrier then. At that time the carriers got a cut of the BIS service charge, which is no more. There business model now appears to be to sell devices through enterprise customers (like US DOD etc.) who provide the support internally.
    08-14-15 08:31 AM
    It is not a bad thing to critique a certain device according to what you've experienced. We have different point of views. The other one could be positive about a certain subject and negative on the other. It is how life goes on. Switching to a new device would also be great. You could then see the difference between each devices.
    08-14-15 08:51 AM
    As an Apple employee and BlackBerry user... Don't compare the two companies....depends on the PERSON you're dealing with that provides the right customer service. Even with apple.
    Yes, this is true, and there has been a slight degradation in AAPL service quality over the past few years. As you say, you have to know how to navigate call centre politics, how and when to escalate and how to talk to supervisors.
    Like when a failed forced software update completely bricked my youngest son's never-jailbroken iPhone 2 weeks out of warranty
    I totally sympathize but the in warranty/out of warranty thing is a known obstacle and again, you have to know how to deal with it. If you get the right person on the phone, an exception will be made. This example doesn't change the fact that AAPL's customer service is way better than other consumer electronics companies.
    08-14-15 12:44 PM
    To deter potential BB buyers! BB supporter for a long time but this was the last time I would ever purchase a blackberry device. I will try my best to keep people away from it. If you guys think this is acceptable customer service then good for you!
    With that confession that the real intention of the thread was to harm BlackBerry sales I have reasonable grounds to prevent further disruption.
    valiant29 likes this.
    08-14-15 03:28 PM
73 123