I've had this experience as well. Their policy is NOT unreasonable IMO. Standard in fact. And really can there be any other way ? They have to protect themselves. Anyway I will add that while DIGITAL RIVER process can be tiresome and it's sometimes hard to communicate in my experience they've done an admirable job. It's a tough gig. In the end I've got what I need every time and never had a problem with CC holds, payments or otherwise. You just have to have reasonable expectations, and a little ( ok more than a little) patience.
    08-13-15 09:40 AM
    I know for a fact my device isn't water damaged or abused. When I send them my device and for reasons out of my control they deem it defective. I am out of 659+taxes when I can get a brand new for 599+taxes. Even the silver edition costs $10 less, do you get my point?

Posted via CB10
    Don't blame you had a horrible experience with them, received a second defective unit, I had to send it back, at which point they had to put Another hold on my card, which ended up being charged and became an extreme hassle to explain it was only an RMA and took quite a while to get the refund. I'm in the same boat, great device, horrible company, with terrible support and transparency. I don't understand BlackBerry sometimes, they don't even stand behind their own products why should we?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 09:49 AM
    There's no denying that BlackBerry aka digital river customer service is horrid. All those here defending them are in complete denial.

Hands down Apple customer service is the best out there in mobile, computers and laptops.

Posted via CB10
    I've had pretty decent service with Blackberry.

I had dropped my Z30 a while back and broke the LCD, and Blackberry sent me a box to send it back in and had it back to me fixed in 1-1/2 weeks at no charge (not even shipping). I believe I had damaged my MicroHDMI port so I didn't elect for the swap.

For the swap they do place a large hold, but it is the original retail price + whatever charges they incur from shipping - any discounts or price drops at purchase are not accounted for, but it's not like you're trying to game the system instead of buying a new phone at the discount right? They do that to ensure that you actually send them back the phone and that it's damage is covered under warranty. You can elect to have your phone returned and give back the replacement at no charge though. This is a pretty standard practice.
    08-13-15 10:10 AM
    I usually keep a cheap Craigslist phone around in case my main phone breaks (I am getting ready to send off my Classic for repair/replacement). Having said that, when you have a serious hardware problem with a pretty new phone, it does seem insulting to have to loan the company that let you down $600 and be phoneless for two weeks. I complain about some of the warranty companies I have used, but they didn't demand a large loan.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-13-15 10:12 AM
    No alternative and the whole collateral thing is fine. But why hold almost a $100 more than the price of a brand new device when you are getting a refurbished device? Does it not seem a shady practice to you? And I am not blaming BlackBerry because they deal with 3rd party vendors. But in the end it is BB brand that's getting tarnished!
    No because they also hold you for the shipping charges and the charges to inspect your device.
    Also BlackBerry RMA has told me they only ship NEW not used or refurbished devices.
    08-13-15 10:20 AM
    Rant Alert!!
    Blackberry customer service is useless. Apparently they are trained to say "Its the system, we can't change it". No wonder this company is going down.

I found it very unusual that my Passport's earpiece and speakerphone started crackling after less than a month of usage. I called blackberry and they said we will proceed with express exchange program. Fair enough, I went ahead with the process only to be told by the rep that they will put a hold of $660 + taxes? I paid $599 CAD+taxes, where are these guys getting their prices from?

Anyways, I will be selling my red passport as soon as I get the replacement. Great device, good community, I just can't have this product anymore, the whole experience left a bad taste. Hopefully I won't have the double typing, LCD problems with the replacement phone.

I came back to blackberry after using android, I suppose it is time to try an iDevice.
    If the device hold fee bothered you why don't you just send it in first and use a temporary device while it ships back and ships you a new one!? I would hate to see you miss out an all of the cool bbos10 features!

 вιaсĸвεггч� Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.2.2226 Rogers Wireless Posted via CB 
    08-13-15 10:23 AM
    How much, i'll gladly help you get rid of that "problem"
    wincyUt likes this.
    08-13-15 10:42 AM
    I send my old Z30 back and after that I get a fresh return Z30 in a box. It only tooks almost 2 weeks. Great Service in my opinion.

Also a friend of mine drops his passport in the water on the street in heavy rain it seems not working after the fall, He just send it back and he get by a wonder a brand new one. Lucky him.
    08-13-15 11:48 AM
    As others have said, the holding fee is pretty standard. Google does it as well. I returned a Nexus 4 and 5 quite a few times and, each time, they'd put a hold on your credit card for the amount until they received the defective device and confirmed it wasn't user error (usually two weeks). As such, I don't see this as a big deal in itself.

Getting into a disagreement where they say it's the user fault and you think it's the phone's fault, that's another story. I've never had to go through that as the phones I sent back are always in perfect shape but I could see that being troublesome. But even then, you can return the 'new' phone they sent you, have the charge removed, and they'll return your original phone.
    08-13-15 12:34 PM
    There's no denying that BlackBerry aka digital river customer service is horrid. All those here defending them are in complete denial.

Hands down Apple customer service is the best out there in mobile, computers and laptops.

Posted via CB10
    Quit generalizing. Just because you may have had bad experience with Digital River doesn't mean everyone else has. For the record, I just got my Silver Edition PP from Digital River with no hitch whatsoever. And by the way how do you know Apple's customer service is the best out there? Have you owned or used all mobile devices from all the OEMs out there?
    08-13-15 01:30 PM
    So i decided to go ahead with the exchange program. I just went through a fresh round of "can't do" with the blackberry rep.

I got slapped with a 15% tax rate when it is only 5% where I live.

As i recently moved, my shipping and billing address is different. Nope can't bill on one and ship to another. Fine use my old address as I have tenants living there. Still can't process it.

I don't know if its just my luck or the rep is a fresh hire.

So in the end I just got really furious and told him to send the f***ing repair box. Eff blackberry I'm done! Hopefully this will be the last time I will ever have to deal with them.
    Last edited by mohsinkhan35; 08-13-15 at 03:41 PM.
    08-13-15 03:27 PM
    How much, i'll gladly help you get rid of that "problem"
    I don't know if the warranty is transferable but I bought it through Shop Blackberry less than 2 months ago. $500 CAD, or give me a decent offer. I just can't have the device. I'm done.

If you don't want to deal with the repair process then I received the RMA, give me about 2 weeks till I get the device back.

It has a screen protector and hard shell original blackberry case.
    Last edited by mohsinkhan35; 08-13-15 at 03:49 PM.
    08-13-15 03:37 PM
    Rant Alert!!
    Blackberry customer service is useless. Apparently they are trained to say "Its the system, we can't change it". No wonder this company is going down.

I found it very unusual that my Passport's earpiece and speakerphone started crackling after less than a month of usage. I called blackberry and they said we will proceed with express exchange program. Fair enough, I went ahead with the process only to be told by the rep that they will put a hold of $660 + taxes? I paid $599 CAD+taxes, where are these guys getting their prices from?

Anyways, I will be selling my red passport as soon as I get the replacement. Great device, good community, I just can't have this product anymore, the whole experience left a bad taste. Hopefully I won't have the double typing, LCD problems with the replacement phone.

I came back to blackberry after using android, I suppose it is time to try an iDevice.
    That hold is standard on cross ship. Years ago, before the hard drive factory floods, I was buying 1 TB drives from $35 and 2 TB from $65. They were garbage and needed many RMA's. They valued it at almost 2.5x what I paid. Your difference was 10%!

It's illogical to change now, after the hassle. You're likely increasing odds of running into a new problem on next phone.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 04:16 PM
    I walk with a cane so...
    08-13-15 04:29 PM
    I walk with a cane so...
    So what? You didn't reply to anybody and you're super off topic.
    08-13-15 05:39 PM

Z30 fan here, but very disappointed to learn that BBRY has farmed support services out to Digital River? I had an awful experience with them a few years back.

It's true about Apple. No matter what else you have to say about them, and there's plenty I would love to change, their support is good and exchange policies are great.

By the way... anyone who says there are no bugs in the AAPL OS haven't tried to use an iPhone 5S on the latest update.

Quit generalizing. Just because you may have had bad experience with Digital River doesn't mean everyone else has
    Sorry to say this but if you're backing Digital River, you're backing the wrong horse. They suck.
    Last edited by mset; 08-13-15 at 06:39 PM.
    08-13-15 06:29 PM
    I know for a fact my device isn't water damaged or abused. When I send them my device and for reasons out of my control they deem it defective. I am out of 659+taxes when I can get a brand new for 599+taxes. Even the silver edition costs $10 less, do you get my point?

Posted via CB10
    I get it and if I were that cheap to come here and wine about less than $100 in a fair RMA process I would get a new job or maybe choose to live like a HOBO.
    08-13-15 06:45 PM
    Z30 fan here, but very disappointed to learn that BBRY has farmed support services out to Digital River? I had an awful experience with them a few years back.

It's true about Apple. No matter what else you have to say about them, and there's plenty I would love to change, their support is good and exchange policies are great.

By the way... anyone who says there are no bugs in the AAPL OS haven't tried to use an iPhone 5S on the latest update.

Sorry to say this but if you're backing Digital River, you're backing the wrong horse. They suck.
    They didn't farm out support, they are simply selling directly to end users using a company who's business it is to sell goods online. They are just a crappy, crappy company.

In other words, they farmed out their store. And the support is just a result of supporting goods sold through the Digital River store. They won't support phones sold by Amazon, Telus, etc.

p.s. I don't think anyone could say there are no bugs in iOS. The most hardcore Apple fans will still have a number of bugs and issues that drives them crazy.

p.p.s. how is it easier to type "the AAPL OS" than "iOS"?
    08-13-15 06:45 PM
    I don't get why people share these things!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 06:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Have you met people? We're all a bunch of whiners and complainers. Just over different things.
    08-13-15 06:59 PM

Posted via CB10
    To deter potential BB buyers! BB supporter for a long time but this was the last time I would ever purchase a blackberry device. I will try my best to keep people away from it. If you guys think this is acceptable customer service then good for you!
    08-13-15 07:02 PM
    I get it and if I were that cheap to come here and wine about less than $100 in a fair RMA process I would get a new job or maybe choose to live like a HOBO.
    This isn't about $100? I already said I agreed to the collateral. The whole point is about the customer service experience. Maybe instead of advising about better jobs, you should go get yourself some basic education to understand what is being discussed here, clearly you have comprehension issues. And if you haven't followed the thread, maybe do so before jumping the gun.
    Peace
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-13-15 07:05 PM
    Mods?

Posted with my  Classic
    08-13-15 07:16 PM
    They didn't farm out support, they are simply selling directly to end users using a company who's business it is to sell goods online. They are just a crappy, crappy company.

In other words, they farmed out their store. And the support is just a result of supporting goods sold through the Digital River store. They won't support phones sold by Amazon, Telus, etc.
    Thanks for the clarification. Not that it matters. Same result for BBRY customers.

p.s. I don't think anyone could say there are no bugs in iOS. The most hardcore Apple fans will still have a number of bugs and issues that drives them crazy.
    Really? You don't think there are AAPL fanboys who claim that their OS is bug free? Glad to be able to set you straight - there are plenty. Some of them used to delight in hanging around here and crowing about how badly BBRY was doing. I haven't been around in a while so I don't know if they've moved on.

p.p.s. how is it easier to type "the AAPL OS" than "iOS"?
    ...you're joking, right?
    08-13-15 07:21 PM
    To deter potential BB buyers! BB supporter for a long time but this was the last time I would ever purchase a blackberry device. I will try my best to keep people away from it. If you guys think this is acceptable customer service then good for you!
    Honest opinion - Its a pretty boring reason!

You bought a new device - be happy. You don't like it - You buy a new device!

Posted via CB10
    08-13-15 07:27 PM
73 123