Rant Alert!!
    Blackberry customer service is useless. Apparently they are trained to say "Its the system, we can't change it". No wonder this company is going down.

I found it very unusual that my Passport's earpiece and speakerphone started crackling after less than a month of usage. I called blackberry and they said we will proceed with express exchange program. Fair enough, I went ahead with the process only to be told by the rep that they will put a hold of $660 + taxes? I paid $599 CAD+taxes, where are these guys getting their prices from?

Anyways, I will be selling my red passport as soon as I get the replacement. Great device, good community, I just can't have this product anymore, the whole experience left a bad taste. Hopefully I won't have the double typing, LCD problems with the replacement phone.

I came back to blackberry after using android, I suppose it is time to try an iDevice.
    08-12-15 03:42 PM
    That's not how that work. That's an option for them to send you a brand new device and once they see your old device isn't water damaged or abused you get your money back. The 2nd option is they send u a shipping package take 2 weeks repair it mail it back all for free.

Posted via CB10
    stevepar, zlatno and sirius27 like this.
    08-12-15 03:48 PM
    That's not how that work. That's an option for them to send you a brand new device and once they see your old device isn't water damaged or abused you get your money back. The 2nd option is they send u a shipping package take 2 weeks repair it mail it back all for free.

Posted via CB10
    I know for a fact my device isn't water damaged or abused. When I send them my device and for reasons out of my control they deem it defective. I am out of 659+taxes when I can get a brand new for 599+taxes. Even the silver edition costs $10 less, do you get my point?

Posted via CB10
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    08-12-15 04:03 PM
    I know for a fact my device isn't water damaged or abused. When I send them my device and for reasons out of my control they deem it defective. I am out of 659+taxes when I can get a brand new for 599+taxes. Even the silver edition costs $10 less, do you get my point?

Posted via CB10
    You wouldn't be out. You have the option to send the replacement back.
    It's their insurance. Unlike a provider that can cut service and flag your credit report, I don't think BlackBerry has that authority to do that with a warranty exchange. So they hold the 660 which covers the original retal price of the Passport.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    08-12-15 04:32 PM
    What they're doing isn't new or poor customer service, unless you think Apple, for example, has poor customer service...

Express Replacement Service Terms and Conditions

"i. If you want to minimize the amount of time without your Apple product and If Apple determines that your product is eligible for ERS, and you choose to order ERS by providing to Apple your credit card details, Apple will ship to your designated location a replacement product. You will return your product so that Apple receives it within ten (10) days from the date Apple ships the replacement product (the “Return Period”). You must return the original product in the package that contained the replacement product in accordance with Apple’s instructions. Apple will retain the original product and you will retain the replacement product."
    wincyUt, Eumaeus, Akainzo and 3 others like this.
    08-12-15 04:40 PM
    Useless customer service! They should totally send you a new device with zero collateral should you decide you want to keep both.

The charge is actually a hold anyways?
    skstrials, DetritalGeo and zlatno like this.
    08-12-15 04:57 PM
    Also, it's a "hold" not a charge - big difference.
    zlatno, sirius27, BBRYQ10 and 1 others like this.
    08-12-15 05:07 PM
    Dadburn hotels and car rentals, they always put a big charge amount on my card before I even get in my room or drive off the lot! I'll sleep in a dumpster and walk to St. Thomas before I use them again.
    08-12-15 05:11 PM
    There's no denying that BlackBerry aka digital river customer service is horrid. All those here defending them are in complete denial.

Hands down Apple customer service is the best out there in mobile, computers and laptops.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 05:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    The others are correct and I'm going through this right now. They billed me for and sent me a new device that will be here tomorrow. I will send them my damaged device (headphone jack doesn't work). Once they get it and see that is the case, they will drop the charge. Simple as pie.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 05:20 PM
    Good customer service garanties you are a satisfied customer.
    I am totally BlackBerry in my choice of device, but it is naive to think BlackBerry delivers as well as Apple on customer service.

It's crappy the you feel like you've gambled and lost with BlackBerry but I would probably do the same in your case.

When my Passport had to be repaired, I was unsure of the outcome.
    Lucky for me, it went well.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 05:32 PM
    I am totally BlackBerry in my choice of device, but it is naive to think BlackBerry delivers as well as Apple on customer service.

It's crappy the you feel like you've gambled and lost with BlackBerry but I would probably do the same in your case.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you! Well said, the device itself is amazing, no love lost there. My main issue is the whole replacement/repair process and "can't do" attitude these reps are having. To deal with them after a month of purchase was just bad. I can't have the device any more. Off to pastures new.

It is the unsure outcome that has me scared as I've read many people received faulty or non functional devices back. Hopefully I get one back in a decent condition for me to sell it.
    08-12-15 06:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what the alternative should be. Should they send the device for free without any promise of getting the other one back? No doubt Apple has excellent service. They also have stores everywhere to bring your device to, BlackBerry doesn't have that. Trust me, if BlackBerry screws me I'll feel the same way, but I have no problem with the way they are doing it. They gave me 2 choices and I picked one.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 06:06 PM
    I'm not sure what the alternative should be. Should they send the device for free without any promise of getting the other one back? No doubt Apple has excellent service. They also have stores everywhere to bring your device to, BlackBerry doesn't have that. Trust me, if BlackBerry screws me I'll feel the same way, but I have no problem with the way they are doing it. They gave me 2 choices and I picked one.

Posted via CB10
    No alternative and the whole collateral thing is fine. But why hold almost a $100 more than the price of a brand new device when you are getting a refurbished device? Does it not seem a shady practice to you? And I am not blaming BlackBerry because they deal with 3rd party vendors. But in the end it is BB brand that's getting tarnished!
    08-12-15 06:49 PM
    I must say, I bought my BlackBerry devices from Amazon. Their return policy and exchange policy is so much easier.

Albeit, sorry for your experience...
    08-12-15 06:56 PM
    No alternative and the whole collateral thing is fine. But why hold almost a $100 more than the price of a brand new device when you are getting a refurbished device? Does it not seem a shady practice to you? And I am not blaming BlackBerry because they deal with 3rd party vendors. But in the end it is BB brand that's getting tarnished!
    That's a good question and one I don't know the answer to, but did wonder the same thing. In the end though they don't gain anything from it so as long as it's not outrageous I let it go.
    I don't think your wrong for feeling the way you do, we all are different, but it sounds like you like the Passport so why leave over it if that is what you're doing? I do hope things work out for you.

Posted via CB10
    sirius27 likes this.
    08-12-15 07:02 PM
    Really.. here we go again.... Being both a BB and Apple user I can tell you it is all dependant on where you purchased your device and when.... Been with BB for about 4 years.... in that time I learned to buy my device from the carrier and deal with them... when I bought a Playbook from BB ( have 3 of them )... one stopped working.. in warranty period... sent it away RMA approved came back within a week.,... all fixed and no cost to me... Apple experience was totally different. My work bought the Iphone 6 through a retail outlet...( big mistake )... a month after purchasing... has dead one... company had to do exactly what Digital River did.. if you want a new one fork over the coin.... this is pretty standard stuff... cost my company 150 more the return the device to Apple as we got an incredible deal from the retail outfit... Apple does not care what you paid for it... they use the going price... my advice to anyone shelling out 600 dollars plus for a device... buy some sort of insurance.... carriers have it... my work did not... in my case all my BB are covered for replacement through my house insurance.... long story short... do your research... do not know of many businesses that will send you a replacement without some sort of collateral...... as for Apple ... would never buy one due to their service... bought a shiny new Ipad through a while back.. took it home as I had not used the 1st gen Ipad for a year or so... transfered all my user info... went to activate the purchase info.. no go... spend 4 days being annoyed by Apple who said I used the account a couple of weeks ago to buy an app I already purchased last year... due to the fact phantom purchase downloaded by me but declined by my Credit Card I do not figure how they figure that is possible... would not authorize my credit card so after 4 frustrating days... took the Ipad back.....
    08-12-15 07:09 PM
    I don't understand this need for a device to be one handed. What exactly are you doing "while also" using your device, that would warrant the need to use it one-handed? You can't possibly be using it safely, you have to be a danger to yourself or others, as you are obviously "on the move" I have had a Passport since launch, and others since 2005, I don't think I have ever had the need for it to be used one-handed. #justmyopinion
    08-12-15 07:18 PM
    I don't understand this need for a device to be one handed. What exactly are you doing "while also" using your device, that would warrant the need to use it one-handed? You can't possibly be using it safely, you have to be a danger to yourself or others, as you are obviously "on the move" I have had a Passport since launch, and others since 2005, I don't think I have ever had the need for it to be used one-handed. #justmyopinion
    I disagree. Sometimes I'm merely drinking a cup of tea, and reading the news on my Passport. I don't want to have to use it with both hands then...
    08-12-15 07:29 PM
    Our dirty little secret is that one handed use allows us to multi-task and drive while we text/email. I've made a conscious effort to stop doing that some time ago.

Posted via CB10
    stevepar likes this.
    08-12-15 07:32 PM
    idk it's really easy to find a scenario where i would use my phone one handed. maybe you are carrying something in your other hand...i thought bb was supposed to be about productivity? if the os is going to allow multi tasking it shouldnt be a big deal to want the hardware to allow for actual physical multi tasking as well
    SpamHammer likes this.
    08-12-15 08:31 PM
    idk it's really easy to find a scenario where i would use my phone one handed. maybe you are carrying something in your other hand...i thought bb was supposed to be about productivity? if the os is going to allow multi tasking it shouldnt be a big deal to want the hardware to allow for actual physical multi tasking as well
    While it would be nice for BlackBerry to offer a "one-handed mode" like the Galaxy Note lineup, it's going to be far less efficient because the physical keyboard can't resize. So any typing, one-handed, is out of the question.

You knew exactly what you were getting into size-wise when purchasing this device. If you buy a truck, you can't complain that you can't fit in compact car parking spots...
    stevepar likes this.
    08-12-15 08:36 PM
    Reading stories like this make me feel grateful for BlackBerry setting up a BlackBerry Expert Center here in Singapore.

For context, I bought my Passport through a local carrier and I'm still under warranty which expires early next year. However for technical issues we don't go to our carriers to ask for replacement, but to the BlackBerry Expert Center instead(basically a technical support center). I got my faulty camera and keyboard replaced within 30mins and they loaned me another Passport to handle calls during that time, no questions asked.

From lots of hearsay in the forums it seems like customer service is very lacking from BlackBerry itself. I'm fortunate I don't have to deal with them directly so far, it seems like a hassle...

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341 and koolaje like this.
    08-12-15 09:44 PM
    Reading stories like this make me feel grateful for BlackBerry setting up a BlackBerry Expert Center here in Singapore.

For context, I bought my Passport through a local carrier and I'm still under warranty which expires early next year. However for technical issues we don't go to our carriers to ask for replacement, but to the BlackBerry Expert Center instead(basically a technical support center). I got my faulty camera and keyboard replaced within 30mins and they loaned me another Passport to handle calls during that time, no questions asked.

From lots of hearsay in the forums it seems like customer service is very lacking from BlackBerry itself. I'm fortunate I don't have to deal with them directly so far, it seems like a hassle...

Posted via CB10
    That is awesome to hear! So much better than to have it sent away for couple of weeks for repair.
    08-12-15 10:08 PM
    I retuned 1 passport and found the experience pretty good,just have to go with the flow and take it easy,lol
    08-13-15 07:11 AM
73 123