Hello guys.
    Have a question about the Web browser on the passport..
    I am using the original Web browser that comes pre-installed with blackberry passport and the Google Chrome, unfortunately both are very slow and everything downloads slowly no matter which website I visit, even though i have a very good WiFi connection and fast Internet speed...
    Does anybody know if there is some Other kind of web browser that might work faster?
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-20 09:54 PM
    Hello guys.
    I am using the original Web browser that comes pre-installed with blackberry passport and the Google Chrome, unfortunately both are very slow and everything downloads slowly no matter which website I visit, even though i have a very good WiFi connection and fast Internet speed...
    Does anybody know if there is some Other kind of web browser that might work faster?
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to say that what you see is what you get. You are using a 5-6 year old device that has a badly outdated browser. At one time (5 years ago) it was one of the best browsers available in a mobile device but with the demands of a modern day web it's functioning is now slow and losing ability to load content-rich, modern websites. Due to the older hardware in the device itself, other 3rd party browsers also have trouble with keeping up also so really there is no browser you can load on the device that will make things faster. Chrome is probably the worst choice you could have made.Try Fennec, Kiwi or BEOL browsers any of which can be found with a search here on CB but be aware that they too are slower than you would like to have.
    Laura Knotek and John Albert like this.
    01-10-20 10:08 PM
    Hi
    Thanks for the information.
    It is sad though, we just have to accept it!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-20 10:18 PM
    OP, it's pretty much get what you get right now. At this point any 6 year old phone is going to show its age. Passport/BB10 is great for a lot of things, but power browsing is not one of them. That's why I keep a tablet or a newer device handy for that.

 Classically Posted SQC100-4/10.3.2.2876 
    01-11-20 07:22 AM
    Hello guys.
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Although it's outdated as pointed out here, it sounds really strange if it is as slow as Chrome on a passport. Something must be wrong.
    If I open a newspaper website at the same time on my really fast Huawei with kiwi and on my passport (stock browser) it only differ 3 seconds (to full load).
    Last edited by mikael11; 01-11-20 at 02:07 PM.
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-11-20 07:47 AM
    Although it's outdated as pointed out here, it sounds really strange if it is as slow as Chrome on a passport. Something must be wrong.
    If I open a newspaper website at the same time on my really fast Huawei with kiwi and on my passport (stock browser) it only differ 3 seconds.
    3 sec difference is excruciating delay!
    mikael11 and John Albert like this.
    01-11-20 12:09 PM
    01-11-20 01:42 PM
    I am curious as to what you mean by very slow? I use the Native browser 90% of the time and the other 10% when sites won't load I use Fennec. The browser is indeed slower than modern versions, but should not be "Very slow". Agreed, Chrome is the worst choice. Keep in mind that the Native browser is lite and optimized for the system, that's why I try it first. Fennec will drain your battery faster and heat your phone, thus I use it sparingly. BEOL is my favourite browser although you cannot use it with the "Open In" option from the listed browsers. Is your phone slow in general? Do you have the latest OS installed? Do you have less than 35 Android apps installed? All these considerations affect speed. Perhaps a factory reset and start fresh, not from a backup. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Posted via my Passport
    01-11-20 02:42 PM
    I am curious as to what you mean by very slow? I use the Native browser 90% of the time and the other 10% when sites won't load I use Fennec. The browser is indeed slower than modern versions, but should not be "Very slow". Agreed, Chrome is the worst choice. Keep in mind that the Native browser is lite and optimized for the system, that's why I try it first. Fennec will drain your battery faster and heat your phone, thus I use it sparingly. BEOL is my favourite browser although you cannot use it with the "Open In" option from the listed browsers. Is your phone slow in general? Do you have the latest OS installed? Do you have less than 35 Android apps installed? All these considerations affect speed. Perhaps a factory reset and start fresh, not from a backup. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Posted via my Passport
    Where did 35 APK number come from? Just curious...
    01-11-20 07:55 PM
    Several respected members posts here and in OS10 sub forum.

Posted via my Passport
    01-11-20 07:59 PM
    Several respected members posts here and in OS10 sub forum.

Posted via my Passport
    I’ve visited CB forum couple of times, don’t recall this figure. I’m familiar with the native app benefits versus apk, just don’t recall any specificity like this....
    @brookie229 , I remember limiting apk suggestions but I thought a much lower number
    01-11-20 08:53 PM
    Google search is your friend or you can ask the ambassador. Bye,
    01-11-20 08:57 PM
    Google search is your friend or you can ask the ambassador. Bye,
    Or I can post the question here. I referred to another well established person also. I haven’t seen TrumpetTiger lately.....
    01-11-20 09:00 PM
    I’ve visited CB forum couple of times, don’t recall this figure. I’m familiar with the native app benefits versus apk, just don’t recall any specificity like this....
    @brookie229 , I remember limiting apk suggestions but I thought a much lower number
    I like to limit my android apps to around 15 or so but it's just a number. It all depends on how power sucking the apps are and also which BB10 device you have. A Passport, of course, can handle more than your Q5, for instance. At this moment I have 25 on my Passport but I am testing stuff out and will delete some. Haven't noticed any major drain or problems though.
    01-11-20 09:06 PM
    I like to limit my android apps to around 15 or so but it's just a number. It all depends on how power sucking the apps are and also which BB10 device you have. A Passport, of course, can handle more than your Q5, for instance. At this moment I have 25 on my Passport but I am testing stuff out and will delete some. Haven't noticed any major drain or problems though.
    That’s what I kinda thought. I actually fired up the Passport a couple of weeks ago. Not so much joy for me and I couldn’t remember for sure. I think my apks from back then were from 1Mobile and I could hear all you laughing at me
    01-11-20 09:10 PM
    Like brookie says, it's just a number as different apps hog different amounts of resources, and some simply work more smoothly than others.

That said, I try to limit Android apps to 25 on the 3GB Passport, 15 on 2GB devices, and 5 on the 1.5GB Z3.

The trick is also to insure you leave 0.5GB of device storage free.
    01-11-20 09:26 PM
    Hmmmm, could of sworn I read several times that it was 30-35 Android apps on the Passport. Oh well, now I too must cut 10. By the way, why the 20-25 apps? Would games count as they do not call home, or Abode and the such. Which apps are the usual suspects?

Posted via my Passport
    01-11-20 10:28 PM
    Hmmmm, could of sworn I read several times that it was 30-35 Android apps on the Passport. Oh well, now I too must cut 10. By the way, why the 20-25 apps? Would games count as they do not call home, or Abode and the such. Which apps are the usual suspects?

Posted via my Passport
    Don't cut it for the sake of cutting it.

If your mix of apps isn't giving you trouble, then leave it alone.
    01-11-20 10:41 PM
    The phone seems to run as expected. I guess an app can go rogue from time to time or is it a problem immediately?

Posted via my Passport
    01-11-20 10:43 PM
    I know part of the reason was overheating but I think specifically that has to do with running too many APKs simultaneously, right?
    01-11-20 10:44 PM
    The phone seems to run as expected. I guess an app can go rogue from time to time or is it a problem immediately?

Posted via my Passport
    The Android Runtime has many peculiarities that can lead to issues. But mainly, this is about resource management.
    01-11-20 10:46 PM
    OK. Thanks.

Posted via my Passport
    01-11-20 10:48 PM
    Going back to browsers, I also don't think that the native one is very slow; it's also correct that it cannot handle certain sites and for those cases I use QBrowser Pro (native app) and / or YuBrowser (Android app), which is very nice indeed.
    Radoslav Valkov likes this.
    01-12-20 06:59 AM
    Will Qbrowser handle all sites? Sounds promising as it is Native. Would prefer using it to Fennec.

Posted via my Passport
    01-12-20 12:11 PM
    Will Qbrowser handle all sites? Sounds promising as it is Native. Would prefer using it to Fennec.

Posted via my Passport
    All the native browsers use the same internal WebKit engine, so they all perform rather similarly. They only differ in user-agents and UX.
    01-12-20 12:31 PM