All we need is for BlackBerry to release a tool to unlock the bootloader of BB10 devices. Then our community can come up with a nice Android ROM and some drivers to run on our devices. I am sure that, once every corporation and government in the world are done with their BB10 devices, BB will be only too happy to oblige. Our grandchildren will then be free to enjoy our 30-year-old BB10 devices with Android.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-17 03:04 AM
    All we need is for BlackBerry to release a tool to unlock the bootloader of BB10 devices. Then our community can come up with a nice Android ROM and some drivers to run on our devices. I am sure that, once every corporation and government in the world are done with their BB10 devices, BB will be only too happy to oblige. Our grandchildren will then be free to enjoy our 30-year-old BB10 devices with Android.

Posted via CB10
    No.

Hardware root of trust, built right into the hardware itself, will only allow software to be install if it was signed by BlackBerry. So even with an "unlocked bootloader", it wouldn't do what you want it to do.

BlackBerry isn't going to provide everyone with its signing keys.
    11-13-17 07:26 AM
    I want people to not post not wanting other people to not post what they want. Wait What?
    Exactly IPA
    11-13-17 08:00 AM
    I'm with you. I don't so much believe that it couldn't work (though it would definitely be too big of a device for my liking). I just don't understand the point of referencing the Passport. Isn't the KEYone already a 4:3 screen ratio? So, increase the width of the KEYone to the width of the Passport and then increase the length proportionately. Sounds interesting, just nothing like a Passport.
    according to Gsmarena.com "1080 x 1620 pixels, 3:2 ratio"
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 10:43 AM
    No.

Hardware root of trust, built right into the hardware itself, will only allow software to be install if it was signed by BlackBerry. So even with an "unlocked bootloader", it wouldn't do what you want it to do.

about that let me give you some idea:
    when a company like AMD build APU for PS3 they com up with e-fuse idea which prevent the system to be downgraded(the term of how e-fuse work is long and really techy and you can see they downgrade PS3)which was some how like the way BB come with chain of trusted keys.
    so in theory and most likely actual world we will be able bypass it and than we could build Android for it.
    well is is not impossible but will be hard, really hard!
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 11:06 AM
    No.

Don't think he was serious.....
    11-13-17 11:07 AM
    about that let me give you some idea:
    when a company like AMD build APU for PS3 they com up with e-fuse idea which prevent the system to be downgraded(the term of how e-fuse work is long and really techy) which was some how like how BB come with chain of trusted keys.
    so in theory and most likely actual word we will be able bypass it and than we could build Android for it.
    well is is not impossible.
    Not possible.
    11-13-17 11:07 AM
    Not possible.
    i see things different and it is possible.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 11:41 AM
    i see things different and it is possible.
    You can "see" it any way you wish, but it doesn't change the fact.
    11-13-17 11:43 AM
    I'm with you. I don't so much believe that it couldn't work (though it would definitely be too big of a device for my liking). I just don't understand the point of referencing the Passport. Isn't the KEYone already a 4:3 screen ratio? So, increase the width of the KEYone to the width of the Passport and then increase the length proportionately. Sounds interesting, just nothing like a Passport.
    KEYone is 3/2, with a 4/3 screen it would be wider.

It's not that hard to imagine a Passport 2 with a 4/3 screen, it will be a little less wide and a little longer than the Passport, but it will be more like it than the KEYone.

And a Passport should have the three rows keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 11:47 AM
    You can "see" it any way you wish, but it doesn't change the fact.
    where i said i wish?
    i just said some fact!
    so i see different and you just did not get the point!
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 12:01 PM

It's not that hard to imagine a Passport 2 with a 4/3 screen, it will be a little less wide and a little longer than the Passport, but it will be more like it than the KEYone.

Posted via CB10
    Here is a render of a "KEYᵒⁿᵉ XL" which is half the difference in width between a KEYᵒⁿᵉ and a Passport, with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Huge. 7.5 oz.
    Last edited by conite; 11-13-17 at 12:25 PM.
    ColinsCity likes this.
    11-13-17 12:05 PM
    I may not have been clear in my earlier posts: I advocate continued use of the Passport's physical dimensions but with a 4:3 screen ratio, which means dropping the PKB. I agree with other observations that note how increasing length in order to accommodate a the same screen width and three-row PKB does come too close to tablet territory. But sacrificing the PKB is OK with me as long as the wider screen is preserved. How does 1920 x 1440 sound to folks?
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 12:24 PM
    I may not have been clear in my earlier posts: I advocate continued use of the Passport's physical dimensions but with a 4:3 screen ratio, which means dropping the PKB. I agree with other observations that note how increasing length in order to accommodate a the same screen width and three-row PKB does come too close to tablet territory. But sacrificing the PKB is OK with me as long as the wider screen is preserved. How does 1920 x 1440 sound to folks?
    That's just a 3.6"x5" piece of glass that won't render Android very well. The poor 4:3 ratio can be excused when you are getting the advantages of a pkb, but hard to justify otherwise.
    11-13-17 12:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    What I'm having trouble with is that if it is not the same dimensions of the Passport (or damn close anyway, like the AT&T or SE versions) then it wouldn't be a Passport!!

The entire concept of the device, and therefore the appropriate name, was that it matches the exact dimensions of a real passport.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but, as someone who also thinks that the original design of the Passport was quite brilliant, you can't change the dimensions of it and still call it a Passport. Maybe I'm some sort of purist, but even if you have a device with a 3 row keyboard and the same width as the Passport, give it a different screen and make the thing significantly longer, it becomes a new device altogether.

The only way to achieve an Android Passport is if it were all touch. And, as someone pointed out already, that pretty well already exists as part of the LG Vu series. Give it a keyboard, regardless of the number of rows, and it's not a Passport unless it's the exact same size of a passport. Which is impossible without the 1:1 ratio of the existing one.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 01:31 PM
    Here is a render of a "KEYᵒⁿᵉ XL" which is half the difference in width between a KEYᵒⁿᵉ and a Passport, with a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Huge. 7.5 oz.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3d7de53cf7.jpg
    An Optimus Vu with a smaller screen and keyboard chin wouldn't look anything like that. If we use that as a reference though, removing a keyboard row would make it as tall as the Keyone.

Edit:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...854,7513,10439
    11-13-17 01:39 PM
    I'm in for one as well. This is the best form factor for a business cellphone and the only one in the world with true wow factor to recon. A different looking device - unlike the plethora of slate slabs in the market. And imo, BB nailed it with the Passport's PKB!

Attachment 431330

Ps.: 1:1 suits me fine.
    Agree BlackBerry nailed it with the passport design. Not sure an Android version would be anymore successful than the keyone but I'd buy one!

Swiped on my Passport!
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 02:04 PM
    Maybe make the Motion wider and add an accessory PKB BlackBerry attachment for those who prefer Keyboards or like choices.
    Would like to have Work Wide brought into Android but with a Motion screen wider. .
    Yeah, I know we are all dreaming and wishing. People get upset at us for that , but these ideas and possibilities move progress. if nobody has ideas where would we be. Nowhere. Think positive instead of knocking someone's imagination.
    😁
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 02:27 PM
    where i said i wish?
    i just said some fact!
    so i see different and you just did not get the point!
    If it's a fact that it's possible, you should just go ahead and do it, and prove conite wrong. That'll show 'em, right?

Or, you could just learn the difference between a fact, an opinion, and a desperate wish. That would certainly be quicker, and it would save you a lot of frustration and heartache.
    11-13-17 02:47 PM
    I have a better chance of winning the lotto then this happening, because it is only 1 in 200 million or so.
    11-13-17 02:52 PM
    I can't imagine passport on android to be honest. I love my passport and I love bb10 on it. I can't using android anymore after bb10 on passport.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 03:01 PM
    I can't imagine passport on android to be honest. I love my passport and I love bb10 on it. I can't using android anymore after bb10 on passport.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is BB10 would die out someday soon (as posted numerous times over here) - and the Passport is so awesome that it'd be explicitly painful to shelve it. Which why, if the same form factor (same UI) could be maintained with Android, so be it.

I'd like to forever use my Passport, what OS is inside is absolutely immaterial (to me). This thing is the real daddy of all cellphones and I do not know what I'd do w/out it.

Ps.: I'll be returning my BB-Motion, it is just not clicking to me the way my Passport does. Nothing is wrong, it's a perfectly fine phone, a very well done job, but it just doesn't "have it". It's like any other slab phone in the market.
    Mojarch likes this.
    11-13-17 03:42 PM
    There were dev Passports running Android during the dev phase of the Priv and one even made it out into the wild but the owner could not keep his mouth shut due to his excitement and Blackberry asked for it back and he returned it. Supposedly the 4:3 screen ratio is an Android no-no now and one of the excus- pardon me, reasons that were given against an Android Passport. However if the screen size things was just BS, why could BlackBerry not just give Passport owners the option to install an Android autoloader onto their phones and they are not responsible if you screw it up and brick your phone. I would do it in a minute for as much as I prefer BB10 it's at the point now where support is non existent and things are starting to be killed that was supported but install Android and it's a new phone again.
    Qorax and Mojarch like this.
    11-13-17 05:35 PM
    There were dev Passports running Android during the dev phase of the Priv and one even made it out into the wild but the owner could not keep his mouth shut due to his excitement and Blackberry asked for it back and he returned it. Supposedly the 4:3 screen ratio is an Android no-no now and one of the excus- pardon me, reasons that were given against an Android Passport. However if the screen size things was just BS, why could BlackBerry not just give Passport owners the option to install an Android autoloader onto their phones and they are not responsible if you screw it up and brick your phone. I would do it in a minute for as much as I prefer BB10 it's at the point now where support is non existent and things are starting to be killed that was supported but install Android and it's a new phone again.
    The "Android" Passport was an early testbed for the Priv.

BlackBerry would not be permitted to release anything now that would not be an OHA-compliant Android OS. At 1:1, it would not be compliant.
    11-13-17 06:16 PM
    The Android Passport SE was a 1:1 prototype that BlackBerry worked on with Google. 4:3 is allowed on Android, many devices support it. Most devices and monitors these days support 16:9 and 18:9 because they're better for media/entertainment but 4:3 still has its advantages.
    Mojarch likes this.
    11-13-17 06:16 PM
96 1234