11-12-17 11:04 AM
    Well... although BlackBerry won't listen, and if i remember correctly there is an issue with 1:1 screen ratio and Android... Yeah sure, make it happen. Would buy 10/10
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 11:04 AM
    A 4:3 screen ratio would solve that problem, see the LG Optimus Vu series.
    Except that it would no longer be a Passport. You could not keep the dimensions of the Passport with any other sized screen than what it currently has. Unless you want to have an incredible small screen with gigantic bezels down either side. But then we are talking about a Passport with roughly the same sized screen as the Storm. And how great would that be, right?!!

Basically, you guys want a phablet with a physical keyboard(?) But I don't see why it would be anything like the Passport if it were a completely different shape and size.
    11-12-17 11:50 AM
    Except that it would no longer be a Passport. You could not keep the dimensions of the Passport with any other sized screen than what it currently has. Unless you want to have an incredible small screen with gigantic bezels down either side. But then we are talking about a Passport with roughly the same sized screen as the Storm. And how great would that be, right?!!

Basically, you guys want a phablet with a physical keyboard(?) But I don't see why it would be anything like the Passport if it were a completely different shape and size.
    That isn't the case with the LG Optimus Vu series (which has similar dimensions) so I don't see why it would be on a hypothetical Android passport. It wouldn't match the Passport exactly but it's probably the closest fans can hope to get unless Google decides to support 1:1 ratios.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 12:25 PM
    Blackberry should have just made the privs keyboard like the old Samsung reality.....long ways.
    Would be a perfect phone.
    The Priv is the worst blackberry ever made
    11-12-17 02:12 PM
    The Priv is the worst blackberry ever made
    Ok...if you say so general.
    11-12-17 02:50 PM
    KEYone XL or Motion XL would suit me just fine. However, I'm still chuggin away on my...

 Passport SE SQW100-4 with Vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS Version) 10.3.2.2876 on AT&T
    11-12-17 02:58 PM
    I need a gold toilet made of solid gold. And I’d love an Android Passort too.
    How is a solid gold toilet a necessity?
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 04:57 PM
    That isn't the case with the LG Optimus Vu series (which has similar dimensions) so I don't see why it would be on a hypothetical Android passport. It wouldn't match the Passport exactly but it's probably the closest fans can hope to get unless Google decides to support 1:1 ratios.
    Well, if you are saying that you just want a BlackBerry Android device the same dimensions as the Passport, then, yes, I see how that could work. I was assuming that there was hope to have a physical keyboard somehow fit on the same device, and therein would definitely be the challenge. Trying to accommodate that, plus the 4:3 screen ratio, AND somehow keep the same overall dimensions of the Passport seems like some pretty complicated math for my brain to be able to figure out.
    11-12-17 07:21 PM
    Well, if you are saying that you just want a BlackBerry Android device the same dimensions as the Passport, then, yes, I see how that could work. I was assuming that there was hope to have a physical keyboard somehow fit on the same device, and therein would definitely be the challenge. Trying to accommodate that, plus the 4:3 screen ratio, AND somehow keep the same overall dimensions of the Passport seems like some pretty complicated math for my brain to be able to figure out.
    I don't want it, OP does.

The LG Optimus Vu devices are taller than the Passport IIRC so with a slightly smaller screen and a "chin" they might be able to make it work. I don't know if a device that was the exact dimensions of an actual passport was necessarily the main draw for fans, I assume they prefer the form factor and "work wide" appeal which a 4:3 device could theoretically emulate.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 07:45 PM
    I don't want it, OP does.

The LG Optimus Vu devices are taller than the Passport IIRC so with a slightly smaller screen and a "chin" they might be able to make it work. I don't know if a device that was the exact dimensions of an actual passport was necessarily the main draw for fans, I assume they prefer the form factor and "work wide" appeal which a 4:3 device could theoretically emulate.
    I'm with you. I don't so much believe that it couldn't work (though it would definitely be too big of a device for my liking). I just don't understand the point of referencing the Passport. Isn't the KEYone already a 4:3 screen ratio? So, increase the width of the KEYone to the width of the Passport and then increase the length proportionately. Sounds interesting, just nothing like a Passport.
    11-12-17 07:53 PM
    I know what I want....no more threads about wanting a passport running android
    11-12-17 09:29 PM
    I need a private jet.
    Hey don't tease the OP....your need came with the Priv.....in the Waterpik app I believe .Jet, Spray, Fan settings ...
    11-12-17 09:33 PM
    I know what I want....no more threads about wanting a passport running android
    I want people to not post not wanting other people to not post what they want. Wait What?
    Carjackd and gruv4u like this.
    11-12-17 09:35 PM
    I'm with you. I don't so much believe that it couldn't work (though it would definitely be too big of a device for my liking). I just don't understand the point of referencing the Passport. Isn't the KEYone already a 4:3 screen ratio? So, increase the width of the KEYone to the width of the Passport and then increase the length proportionately. Sounds interesting, just nothing like a Passport.
    Nope the Keyone is 18:9, I think many (maybe all?) BBOS devices were 4:3 so it's certainly familiar territory for BlackBerry.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 11:07 PM
    Nope the Keyone is 18:9, I think many (maybe all?) BBOS devices were 4:3 so it's certainly familiar territory for BlackBerry.
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ is 3:2.
    11-12-17 11:14 PM
    I don't understand all the snide remarks here. What the OP suggested is exactly what i've pined for myself: an all-touch 4:3 Passport form factor running BlackBerry Android. The LG Optimus Vu, by its similarity, already shows the way in this regard. As for BlackBerry Mobile, both the KEYone and the Motion demonstrate a willingness to deviate from the industry's strict cookie-cutter shapes and features, so why not this type of device too?

I'm confident there's demand out there greater than just a few thousand. First, even without knowing actual PP sales numbers, don't forget the 200k initial sales number at the time of announcement, which only grew from there. Second, show me any threads in this forum where a Passport owner who subsequently bought the KEYone expressed equal satisfaction with that device. I don't recall seeing one! Rather, I expect there are many like me, who may contemplate buying a KEYone but more as placeholder in the hope that another wide device will eventually come along.

Personally, I really hope that BlackBerry Mobile will have the guts to do it. Given their willingness to operate in the niche market, which is frankly what BlackBerry Android is right now, I think there's a chance.

Posted via CB10
    Qorax, gruv4u and deezy87 like this.
    11-12-17 11:15 PM
    KEYᵒⁿᵉ is 3:2.
    Oops! You're right, it's a 3:2 ratio display.
    11-12-17 11:19 PM

I'm confident there's demand out there greater than just a few thousand.
    Clearly your confidence is not shared by any of the licencees - who all have a lot more market data and sales metrics at their disposal.

On another note, at 4:3, you would end up with a device 3.6" wide by 6" tall, weighting in at almost 8.5 oz.

To compare, a brand new Huawei MediaPad T3 7.0 7" tablet weighs only 0.2 oz more, and is 4" x 7".
    Last edited by conite; 11-12-17 at 11:42 PM.
    11-12-17 11:20 PM
    Clearly your confidence is not shared by any of the licencees - who all have a lot more market data and sales metrics at their disposal.
    I don't think one can judge at this early stage. I wouldn't expect a PP-like device to be the first out of the gate, or even the second, to establish the "rebirth" (or whatever you want to call it) of the BB brand. As one of several devices in a portfolio of offerings, however, the possibility is greater. Not to mention that BB Mobile should want to roll out some recognizable products to retain the BB faithful. A PKB first, not counting the DTEKs, and now a slab. Why not eventually something wide and a slider too for our Priv friends?
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 11:38 PM
    Why not eventually something wide and a slider too for our Priv friends?
    Because I don't think there is a business case for either. I would be utterly shocked if we ever see either form factor again.

For the ultra tiny pkb market that exists - focus one one well-made form factor. To offer multiple variations to the same handful of people is a waste of resources.
    11-12-17 11:40 PM
    Because I don't think there is a business case for either. I would be utterly shocked if we ever see either form factor again.
    Time will tell. It may indeed not happen, but I for one will not be shocked if it does.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 11:45 PM

On another note, at 4:3, you would end up with a device 3.6" wide by 6" tall, weighting in at almost 8.5 oz.

To compare, a brand new Huawei MediaPad T3 7.0 7" tablet weighs about the same and is 4" x 7".
    We don't know that, all BB Android license agreements are less than a year old. For all we know, someone could be working on one or have interest in bringing it back at some point.

The Passport is also just over 5" tall so an extra inch wouldn't be that bad.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 11:46 PM
    Keyone is good but having passport running android is better. holding and typing on passport is simply fantastic.
    Qorax and ratfinkstooley like this.
    11-13-17 12:10 AM
    We want BlackBerry Passport Android-img-20160507-wa003.jpgWe want BlackBerry Passport Android-img-20160507-wa002.jpg

I got too tired scrolling up and down on my whiteberry pkb with this 1:1 thing.

It's best use is for spreadsheets and emailing and inline images which gratify my eyes with their squarishness, and yeah multiple quick reply/compose ways with pkb shortcuts and hub.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-13-17 12:20 AM
96 1234