A while back when a lot of people were wondering if the Passport could ever get full Android, lots of people pointed that 1:1 screen ratio wasn't allowed by Google, because it wasn't in the 4:3-16.9 zone. But this year, we've seen the LG G6 with its 18:9 screen ratio and the Galaxy S8 with a bizarre 18,5:9. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those too are out of the previous stated margins
    05-03-17 11:04 AM
    A while back when a lot of people were wondering if the Passport could ever get full Android, lots of people pointed that 1:1 screen ratio wasn't allowed by Google, because it wasn't in the 4:3-16.9 zone. But this year, we've seen the LG G6 with its 18:9 screen ratio and the Galaxy S8 with a bizarre 18,5:9. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those too are out of the previous stated margins
    Can you link to these posts? I am not aware of the 1:1 aspect ratio not being allowed by Google.

According to this, there isn't really an official aspect ratio that Google looks for.
    List of Android aspect ratios? - Stack Overflow

Obviously 16:9 is pretty common due to media content, but we've seen odd ratios like 15:9 for the Z10 as well.
    05-03-17 11:13 AM
    "A while back" - there's your culprit. Android evolved, BB10 did not.

Via Pasta CB10
    05-03-17 11:14 AM
    "A while back" - there's your culprit. Android evolved, BB10 did not.

Via Pasta CB10
    You're right, but that's not the point.
    I'm saying that it seems like the rules are not the same for everyone.

< Passport SQW100-1 >
    05-03-17 11:19 AM
    As OHA members they have more weight with Googles standards for screens. Its obvious they negotiated an exception that may make it into the official specs. That said they included compatibility modes so that devs don't have to do additional work on their end for their apps to look and work as designed.

Apparently at one time BB was also working with Google to get 1:1 approved thus the leak vid of Android on Passport that made the rounds but the task proved too large and it was abandoned.
    05-03-17 11:25 AM
    Can you link to these posts? I am not aware of the 1:1 aspect ratio not being allowed by Google.

According to this, there isn't really an official aspect ratio that Google looks for.
    List of Android aspect ratios? - Stack Overflow

Obviously 16:9 is pretty common due to media content, but we've seen odd ratios like 15:9 for the Z10 as well.
    Android passport SE - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

And I've seen more, but I don't want to bore you.
    You're right! the Z10's ratio was odd, but it was between the 4:3 and 16:9 that Google seemed to force you to be
    05-03-17 11:26 AM
    Not the official link or anything but worth a read

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/wh...ered-passport/

Posted via CB10
    05-03-17 11:31 AM

And I've seen more, but I don't want to bore you.
    You're right! the Z10's ratio was odd, but it was between the 4:3 and 16:9 that Google seemed to force you to be
    Quick run through, doesn't seem like there was any official documentation linked there. Just some assumptions.

One was right about the app support though 1:1 screen ratio will have some apps which will misbehave. That's true. Although Google not allowing it altogether, I highly doubt that was the case.
    tollfeeder likes this.
    05-03-17 11:33 AM
    This will help

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/09/27/wh...ered-passport/

Posted via CB10
    05-03-17 11:35 AM
    its in the Google's Compatibility Test Suite documentation.
    05-03-17 11:37 AM
    Yeah, maybe I should have said "according to the posts I've seen here on cb" but the truth is I saw lots of replys saying the same and they were from different people, so I just assumed. Wrong of me. So it turns out the 1:1 screen ratio was a very big problem but it wasn't prohibitive?

< Passport SQW100-1 >
    05-03-17 11:39 AM
    the screen ratio rule is in the CTS which is a barrage of tests every device has to pass before getting a license from Google. LG/Samsung showed Google there would be no app issues and thus got a waiver, BB was unable to do so. I'd imagination the new ratios may get updated in the next CTS update as OEM use the bezel-less design that can acommodate the ratios LG/Samsung use.
    05-03-17 12:05 PM
    Here's the compatibility document for Android N .

The screen aspect ratio MUST be a value from 1.3333 (4:3) to 1.86 (roughly 16:9), but Android Watch
    devices MAY have an aspect ratio of 1.0 (1:1)
    05-03-17 12:40 PM
    Are you are hoping that TCL or Merah Putih will make an Android phone with a 1:1 ratio?
    05-03-17 02:07 PM
    Are you are hoping that TCL or Merah Putih will make an Android phone with a 1:1 ratio?
    Not really. It's a shame that the Passport line has to die having had only one device (two if you count the SE) and it would've been nice to have different types of screens to choose, but I wasn't hoping somebody to make a new Android phone with 1:1 ratio, no

< Passport SQW100-1 >
    05-03-17 04:19 PM