So I think BlackBerry will not honor warranty issue if you buy a person's upgrade unit from their carrier.

You are not the person on the contract and would not have a receipt.

I have never done a carrier upgrade but does it come with any kind of paper work?

Still that paper work would not be in your name if it has to be returned.

People are staring to list phones for sale. Save some bucks and tax but then get declined warranty?

You have wasted 600-700 to save $100 or pay out of pocket for repair.

Am I correct in this thought process?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:27 PM
    Uphrade? See I really need to go back to a physical kb.

Posted via CB10
    momofteme likes this.
    10-15-14 04:30 PM
    Upgrade still comes with a receipt. But I'm pretty sure manufacturer's warranty is only good for the original purchase. The only other option is to add if to your account and then go through the carrier insurance to handle the exchange.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:31 PM
    I would assume so if you're on the same carrier that sold the phone. In this case, ask your carrier.
    10-15-14 04:35 PM
    The carrier covers the warranty. If you are on the same carrier, it is usually not a problem, especially if you can tell them the original purchaser and purchase date.

If you are not with the same carrier as the person that got the phone, you will not get warranty through BlackBerry or your carrier.

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-15-14 06:21 PM
    I always thought it was 1 year from the date that the phone was activated no matter who owns it... can't they just look that up?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:00 PM
    I always thought it was 1 year from the date that the phone was activated no matter who owns it... can't they just look that up?

Posted via CB10
    This depends on who you talk to and how persistent you are.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:09 AM
    This depends on who you talk to and how persistent you are.

Posted via CB10
    I bought one off of Ebay and took it in to a kiosk and they called the company to check about warranty. They just went from the date it was activated and fixed it without receipt.... that was a few years ago though...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 12:24 AM
    BlackBerry will never know if you're the original buyer. Just saying...

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:15 AM

Posted via CB10
    The warranty is done by the carrier. Rogers can't look into a Telus account to see when the phone was put into service. BlackBerry just supplies the carrier's repair depot with the parts. BlackBerry doesn't deal with the warranty directly and will probably only replace parts they sold to the carrier; ie if Rogers sends back a Telus mainboard, BlackBerry will not have a record of it being sold to Rogers and deny the claim.
    10-16-14 05:42 PM
    No such problems in Europe... in most countries here it is the manufacturer, in this case BlackBerry that must provide the warranty if I'm not mistaken, and that can be a warranty of two years

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:52 PM
    BlackBerry will never know if you're the original buyer. Just saying...

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry don't care who's the original buyer, they have no customer service, only twitter. I was messed around by them for 2 months for them to say we won't fix your phone

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 05:59 PM
    The warranty is done by the carrier. Rogers can't look into a Telus account to see when the phone was put into service. BlackBerry just supplies the carrier's repair depot with the parts. BlackBerry doesn't deal with the warranty directly and will probably only replace parts they sold to the carrier; ie if Rogers sends back a Telus mainboard, BlackBerry will not have a record of it being sold to Rogers and deny the claim.
    Now that I think about it I think it was the first HTC touch that came out..... maybe they have a different warranty....

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 06:02 PM
    Carrier covers the warranty, if you are with that carrier. If not, it goes to BB for their manufacturer warranty. This is what I was told when buying my phone from Telus. They would not cover me cause I am with Rogers and bought the phone outright and got it unlocked. They told me I need to contact BB directly for any warranty work within the 1 year warranty period.
    10-16-14 07:03 PM
    I think Rogers has/had a clause in their warranty saying that the warranty contract was only with the original owner and did not transfer with the phone; I had an issue claiming warranty service for a used Torch.

However, some jurisdictions may have consumer protection legislation that may make such clauses void.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    10-16-14 07:09 PM