I formatted a 128 gb SanDisk SD and a cheap 128 gb SD in the Passport and had terrible problems with data loss, device running hot, battery drain, and device failing to recognize the media card. Spoke with BlackBerry and removed this memory.

Now all perfect. Use no greater than 64 gb!
    Warning from someone who should have known better, lol.

Cloaking Device & Special Opps Commander for the Peevishlicious Crew on SQW-100-1 10.3.1.1016
    11-14-14 06:57 AM
    Thanks for the tip! I use a good quality 32 gig one and it's flawless.

"May I see your Passport please?"
    11-14-14 07:18 AM
    I am using 128 gig Sandisk and it works just fine. Maybe SW/HW issue...

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:23 AM
    I am using 128 gig Sandisk and it works just fine. Maybe SW/HW issue...

Posted via CB10
    Where did you buy it? Would like one as well. I'm putting my laptop to bed and would like to use solely my passport for a month. Curious as to whether it's time feasible. Need the storage space as well. If you could give me the link if you bought it online, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, its no problem. I could probably make due with 2 64gb. Thanks!

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-14-14 07:27 AM
    Where did you buy it? Would like one as well. I'm putting my laptop to bed and would like to use solely my passport for a month. Curious as to whether it's time feasible. Need the storage space as well. If you could give me the link if you bought it online, I would greatly appreciate it. If not, its no problem. I could probably make due with 2 64gb. Thanks!

It's from alza.cz ('cause I'm Czech). But I saw same ones on Ebay and Aliexpress.

I used it before in Q10 and worked fine too. Just put it to Passport when arrived no formatting necessary.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:29 AM
    I received a new replacement yesterday (long story).
    I popped my 128 in but it couldn't load the driver and kept giving me an error.
    I updated to .908 and all is fine again.
    Been using 128 for about a month and no issues whatsoever. Just make sure you have at least .908 installed.
    My version gives PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:36 AM
    Pretty sure you need to reformat anything larger than 64GB on the device. BB10 uses the FAT32 file format, which may not be the default on your card.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:38 AM
    Pretty sure you need to reformat anything larger than 64GB on the device. BB10 uses the FAT32 file format, which may not be the default on your card.

Posted via CB10
    You can't use FAT32 for anything larger than (wait for it) 32 GB!

So you have to use exFAT.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:56 AM
    I formatted a 128 gb SanDisk SD and a cheap 128 gb SD in the Passport and had terrible problems with data loss, device running hot, battery drain, and device failing to recognize the media card. Spoke with BlackBerry and removed this memory.

Now all perfect. Use no greater than 64 gb!
    Warning from someone who should have known better, lol.

Cloaking Device & Special Opps Commander for the Peevishlicious Crew on SQW-100-1 10.3.1.1016
    It also has to do with the data access speed and read and write speed of the card. If you are going to use a slow speed Class 4 or so card obviously its going to use more power to rummage through the entire 128gb of data at that slow of a speed.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-14-14 07:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    Mind blown lol

Mecca EL and AnimalPak200 like this.
    11-14-14 08:09 AM
    I received a new replacement yesterday (long story).
    I popped my 128 in but it couldn't load the driver and kept giving me an error.
    I updated to .908 and all is fine again.
    Been using 128 for about a month and no issues whatsoever. Just make sure you have at least .908 installed.
    My version gives PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418

Posted via CB10
    What brand do you have?

11-14-14 08:10 AM
    Using a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB card here (30MB/s read speed.). I did have a couple of issues about a week into having the passport (phone not recognizing the card) but that cleared up after shutting down, popping the card out, and popping it back in.

Being able to expand to a 128 GB card was one of the deciding factors in buying this phone.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-14-14 08:12 AM
    Using a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB card here (30MB/s read speed.). I did have a couple of issues about a week into having the passport (phone not recognizing the card) but that cleared up after shutting down, popping the card out, and popping it back in.

Being able to expand to a 128 GB card was one of the deciding factors in buying this phone.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    Thanks!

11-14-14 08:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's not correctly stated. The 32gb limit is a specification limit of sdhc cards. Fat32 can handle volumes considerably larger.
    11-14-14 08:24 AM
    I've used a 128gb card in the Z30, and the same card in the Passport since I got it. I had a corruption problem once on the Z30. The camera app saving to the card caused problems, so I changed it to the phone.

No problems on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 08:34 AM
    That's not correctly stated. The 32gb limit is a specification limit of sdhc cards. Fat32 can handle volumes considerably larger.
    Yeah you're right. Probably should have been a bit more specific to the topic at hand!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 08:36 AM
    Latest BlackBerry 10.3 OS supports exFat! And I think the last couple of releases of 10.2.1 added support for exFat.
    When u buy a new memory card with exFat format, DO NOT format it before inserting, just insert it into your phone and the phone automatically downloads the drivers necessary for the support of exFat!
    And as far as I know, Fat32 is nothing but we can't store any file greater than 4gb. It's file access/write time is a slower than exFat! We won't get the full(not even half) potential of the 64gb or 128gb Class 10 Micro SD cards, if we format it to Fat 32.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 08:49 AM
    i have a 64gb scandisk and it would not work as exfat. i had to format it as fat32 with some software i download it.. i thought it was the memory. and i just purchase another 64 sony and is having the same problem... i never had any problem with my 32gb. i lost so many files once i started using the 64gb
    11-14-14 10:01 AM
    i have a 64gb scandisk and it would not work as exfat. i had to format it as fat32 with some software i download it.. i thought it was the memory. and i just purchase another 64 sony and is having the same problem... i never had any problem with my 32gb. i lost so many files once i started using the 64gb
    Which version of OS is on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:08 AM
    Doesn't BB recommend a list of cards that are good to use???I haven't bought a 128 yet buy sure would like to know which one to buy.lol
    11-14-14 10:29 AM
    anyone know how to turn off the passport keyboard backlight?There is NO " Automatically Dim Backlight "in the setting. It is too bright at night when I use my passport to read and make my eyes hurt.
    11-14-14 10:34 AM
    Before 10.3 (on my Z30 and Z10), I had to do the same (format my card in FAT32 format on my PC using software found online) . Since 10.3, it seems to work fine though formatting through the phone (and I think it is ExFAT now).
    11-14-14 10:40 AM
    Make sure you're not using a generic card

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 10:44 AM
    When I first put in my 64gb card I had a similar problem. The device was heating up, I could not access the card, and it was causing some glitches as if it was trying to continuously read the card. It would go one like this for more then an hour, until I took the card out. I formatted the card with the Passport and everything has been fine since. The card is a 64gb SanDisk Ultra, so it's not the type of card I have. It was rather odd as the card came directly out of my Z10.
    11-14-14 11:02 AM
    Latest BlackBerry 10.3 OS supports exFat! And I think the last couple of releases of 10.2.1 added support for exFat.
    When u buy a new memory card with exFat format, DO NOT format it before inserting, just insert it into your phone and the phone automatically downloads the drivers necessary for the support of exFat!
    And as far as I know, Fat32 is nothing but we can't store any file greater than 4gb. It's file access/write time is a slower than exFat! We won't get the full(not even half) potential of the 64gb or 128gb Class 10 Micro SD cards, if we format it to Fat 32.

Posted via CB10
    This post is 100% accurate. Any overheating and driver issues are because the original 10.3 release (fresh out of the box) did not support exFAT formatted cards which are absolutely required for anything larger than 32gb.

I have a few BB10 devices (including my Passport) and they're all using a 128gb Sandisk card perfectly - no issues.

On a NEW device there is a warming up period while the CPU of the handset goes and indexes 68gb of MP3 files and 5gb of pictures for the first time. (When you load a leak or freshly install a new phone out of the box).

On a NEW phone you'll see "Drivers needed..." and then "Drivers installed.." in the Notification Area of the Hub.

In North America (I'm in Canada) the cheapest place to find the 128gb card is at B & H Camera in NY:
    SanDisk 128GB microSDXC Memory Card Ultra Class SDSDQUI-128G-A46

They are trustworthy, they ship anywhere, and they're less expensive than anywhere else I can find them.

I hope this helps. There is a lot of mis-information on this thread.
    11-14-14 11:22 AM
34 12