Wanna see how a detached screen looks like in a BlackBerry Passport? :D-img-20150927-wa003.jpg

Kinda interesting. Posting from it right now. Never really dropped it, I imagine it's a heating issue that melted the sealing gel or whatever. I'll fix it with superglue, obviously

Have had the passport for the better part of five months, extremely happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:11 AM
    Is that the screen lift issue ?
    09-27-15 04:21 AM
    Looks like a rather extreme screen lifting problem. Since the screen unit seems to be glued to the base, I wouldn't be surprised the glue gets beaten up when the device constantly heats up. Especially heavy duty load like GPS navigation combined with charging the device.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:40 AM
    Thanks for posting the image. I was curious as to what exactly people were referring to when they mentioned that issue.

Has it been known to happen on the SE as well?

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-27-15 04:55 AM
    Whoa, scary. Now I'm hesitant to get a Passport and considering the Priv...

Z30, STA100-2 /10.3.2.2639
    09-27-15 05:06 AM
    don't know what to tell you, except that i have used androids ever since smartphones were invented and i always hacked and rooted them, to get what i want out of them - more battery juice, less clutter and more options than stock options. and with blackberry OS, especially with 10, which integrates some android, i would still consider passport over priv.

yes, the android os10 marriage isn't really a happy one, you have to tinker with your apps a bit, but it's generally functional and i think better than having an android os that, with bb's security mantra, most likely won't be rootable.
    09-27-15 05:15 AM
    Smartphones were invented before android, invented by BlackBerry actually.

Posted via CB10
    pat-wallace, JMDBERRY and BBRYQ10 like this.
    09-27-15 07:03 AM
    Agreed

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 07:59 AM
    Smartphones were invented before android, invented by BlackBerry actually.

Posted via CB10
    Uh, no.
    LazyEvul, kbz1960 and Mecca EL like this.
    09-27-15 08:05 AM
    truth
    09-27-15 10:17 AM
    truth
    Invented by IBM, actually. Popularized by BlackBerry.

BlackBerry basically pulled an Apple.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Mecca EL and FCSC like this.
    09-27-15 11:13 AM
    I stand corrected
    09-27-15 11:32 AM
    Unfortunate assembly issue, but as OP said, I too regard this as preventable, fixable and outweighed by the Passport's virtues and fully intent to get one as a companion to my Z30.

The Z30 has the best assembly of any smartphone/ electronic device I have ever seen disassembled and I wish BlackBerry had followed the same principles with the Passport. In the Z30, the screen is strongly bonded to a steel plate containing the screw holes that keep the motherboard sandwiched tightly.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-27-15 11:43 AM
    Unfortunate assembly issue, but as OP said, I too regard this as preventable, fixable and outweighed by the Passport's virtues and fully intent to get one as a companion to my Z30.

The Z30 has the best assembly of any smartphone/ electronic device I have ever seen disassembled and I wish BlackBerry had followed the same principles with the Passport. In the Z30, the screen is strongly bonded to a steel plate containing the screw holes that keep the motherboard sandwiched tightly.
    I'm really enjoying my new Passport but the build quality is disappointing.
    The Z30 build is much better than the Passport.

Although I would probably never own one anytime soon, the flagship Samsung's and iPhones seem to have very good build quality.

Back on topic: That's some serious screen lifting!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:45 PM
    The Passport that I have right now seems to have superior build quality. I am hoping that this batch of Passports that I recently got one from will be of better quality than the first ones that came out. Hopefully by now, they will have figure out to use a better screen glue!

Posted via CB10
    mprattmd likes this.
    09-27-15 10:09 PM
    i have never had any issues with any BB phone I have owned
    09-28-15 10:42 AM
    Isn't the power button on Z30 easier to get stuck?

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    09-28-15 11:04 AM
    i have never had any issues with any BB phone I have owned
    Same. But wow- if that were to happen and no drops, sitting in a hot car in summer, etc, I would be angry.

 Classic
    09-28-15 11:04 AM
    duct tape
    jope28 and mihnead like this.
    09-28-15 11:18 AM
    I had the BlackBerry symbol falling off at the back of the phone....

Mia san mia!
    09-28-15 11:52 AM
    Mine lifted a week ago. took 2 attempts to get it to stay down with superglue so far, but it is holding for now.

I think the problem is the phone overheats with certain functions - specifically while using it's apalling miracast implementation. It will only connect once to a miracast device, then requires rebooting to get to reconnect to the same device later. Along the way the device heats up massively, often it will actually crash and try and reboot. I have found it on the blackberry boot logo screen a number of times lately.

Battery life was once fantastic, and would never run down in a day. Now with time it has degraded to the point that it always claps out early evening. Fixed unit so can't be replaced either.

I wouldn't have bought this phone if I'd have known how poor quality it was going to be.
    09-28-15 01:14 PM
    I have the same issue. It started for me about a month ago at this point. I've only had it since January, so I find it pretty disappointing that it couldn't last more than a few months before it started to show defects or signs of ware. And I keep it in a case. I've had a BlackBerry since the Bold 9000. The first issue I ever had with any BB device was that my cell radio went on my Z10 almost 2 full years after I got it. This is the fastest I have had any issues with any cell phone I've ever owned. I used to keep it in my pocket, but always remembered to take it out of my pocket before I would sit. I've since been using the holster that my seidio case came with and my Ringke Fusion case.

What are our best options for self repair vs repair through BB (if they'll even repair it)?
    09-28-15 01:51 PM
    Just noticed my screen is lifting up too...
    What would be the right glue? I don't think superglue is right as it does not allow much flexibility; maybe a drop of hot glue?!
    09-28-15 02:31 PM
    Isn't the power button on Z30 easier to get stuck?

Posted via CB10 on Passport OG
    Doesn't happen to everyone, my power button is perfect
    09-28-15 02:38 PM
    Invented by IBM, actually. Popularized by BlackBerry.

BlackBerry basically pulled an Apple.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    Ummmm.... has everyone forgotten Palm and Handspring?
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    09-29-15 07:11 AM
34 12