08-08-14 04:59 PM
71 123
tools
    I think that BlackBerry is doing this wrong. I don't understand why they announced the Passport without even a release date to accompany it. We know that it's coming, but we don't know when and we don't even know anything much about it besides the keyboard.

The way I see it, BlackBerry is just letting the hype die away. For the first time in a while, BB has managed to generate a small bit of hype. But with no follow up in sight, what's the point?

Look at the history of iPhones. Announce, then release a week after. The hype is still fresh when you're able to buy the phone. It just makes sense.

This reminds me of that awesome Z10/BB10 Super Bowl commercial that simply did nothing because by the time release day came around, nobody remembered.
    08-07-14 12:39 AM
    i agree +1
    08-07-14 12:43 AM
    Agreed with you op the time frame distance from announced is too far imo

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 12:44 AM
    Blackberry should launch this phone as soon as possible because once hype is over ,may be people will look to the latest launch from other brands. By the way some latest launches are in september.
    08-07-14 01:12 AM
    Don't remind me

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 01:13 AM
    It's creating anticipation. Like when you pour heinz ketchup out of the bottle. In this case, however, the ketchup is faster

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    jojo beaconsfield and Ohleo like this.
    08-07-14 01:52 AM
    I'd they'd tried to keep it a secret they'd have failed. There would have been leaks. You'd still know.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 01:57 AM
    Everyone always says this. However, I'm pretty sure from the time of 'unveiling' to the time of release thus far has been fairly short when compared to previous stuff. I have no data to back up that simply because I never went looking for it, but I have a feeling it's right. And not it matters in the grand scheme of things but officially, BlackBerry hasn't even yet announced the device lol. It was more of a 'tease' or testing the waters than an actual announcement.
    acovey and aminrajabi like this.
    08-07-14 01:58 AM
    BlackBerry is the worse when it comes to dealing with release info and marketing devices. Not to mention they have a major image issue.

In all seriousness they should hire some industry consultation who can help them get on track and drill it in their heads on how to promote and launch devices within a reasonable time frame.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 02:14 AM
    They haven't announced anything technically. They're announcing it in September and will follow a week later like usual! Calm down guys lol its not a cure for aids or something. Stay busy and it'll be here in no time
    08-07-14 02:41 AM
    If they'd somehow kept it quiet all we'd have had on here is moans that BlackBerry weren't doing anything and that they missed a trick by not warming up the market in advance.

Can't win.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze, Shadowyugi, Nemzy and 8 others like this.
    08-07-14 03:08 AM
    Everyone always says this. However, I'm pretty sure from the time of 'unveiling' to the time of release thus far has been fairly short when compared to previous stuff. I have no data to back up that simply because I never went looking for it, but I have a feeling it's right. And not it matters in the grand scheme of things but officially, BlackBerry hasn't even yet announced the device lol. It was more of a 'tease' or testing the waters than an actual announcement.
    You're more of a 'tease'.

Posted via CB10
    Bla1ze and Shadowyugi like this.
    08-07-14 03:09 AM
    How many of you who have commented their frustration to the BlackBerry Passport launch is a Project Manager?

The project is till in the execution phase. Sit back and relax my fellow Blackberry fanatics. The marketing phase of the passport is a project by itself and when the device is ready to hit the market, the marketing will be executed accordingly.

Tight now the buzz of the device is out there. If you are serious about getting the device and those who are non-crackberrians who are also serious will get it when it is available. Patience my friends. The Z3 was a success and the Passport will follow. BlackBerry is on track with this device and it will be in your hands sooner than you think.

JC is seriously committed to the rise of BlackBerry and the team is doing all that is very possible to get the device to market.
    08-07-14 04:35 AM
    Exactly the same pb as the BB10 OS they open mouth too early and then they cone with something outdated

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 04:54 AM
    And sorry but the passport was prepared for 1 year ago at least. I like BlackBerry product but the management of communication is just 0. For example the tease around bb10.3.... it was June and we will see this OS on z10 and q10 only in december... WTF. everybody forget about bb10.3. Apple will announce an iPhone and the BlackBerry passport and bb10.3 will be put out the competition

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 04:58 AM
    And sorry but the passport was prepared for 1 year ago at least. I like BlackBerry product but the management of communication is just 0. For example the tease around bb10.3.... it was June and we will see this OS on z10 and q10 only in december... WTF. everybody forget about bb10.3. Apple will announce an iPhone and the BlackBerry passport and bb10.3 will be put out the competition

Posted via CB10
    I remember when iOS7 came out last year with all the issues that erupted...all the bandwagon Apples who sit under the tree took to Twitter and iMore jumping high and low, running like headless chickens to iStore where the geniuses could not do anything about it.

I am not saying that BB OS 10 was seamless but with less issues - all native BlackBerry Apps were working on the platform, unlike iMessage etc.

BlackBerry is no Apple. And while I am also excited about the device, I am willing to wait in line like all of you who are frustrated. It is what it is...
    08-07-14 05:25 AM
    Go out and ask 100 person if they know about the BlackBerry passport, I'll be impressed I'd 1 or 2 knows about it. They haven't made the official announcement yet, and even after that, only people that read techy websites will know about it.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 05:48 AM
    Damn, BlackBerry can never win with some of you guys. We (Crackberry community / Techies) already knew from the 10.3 and 10.3.1 release memo that the passport was coming in 10.3 in September and Classic in November and 10.3.1 for all devices. Why can't we all be patient and wait for it?
    mk2234 and acovey like this.
    08-07-14 06:05 AM
    How many of you who have commented their frustration to the BlackBerry Passport launch is a Project Manager?

The project is till in the execution phase. Sit back and relax my fellow Blackberry fanatics. The marketing phase of the passport is a project by itself and when the device is ready to hit the market, the marketing will be executed accordingly.

Tight now the buzz of the device is out there. If you are serious about getting the device and those who are non-crackberrians who are also serious will get it when it is available. Patience my friends. The Z3 was a success and the Passport will follow. BlackBerry is on track with this device and it will be in your hands sooner than you think.

JC is seriously committed to the rise of BlackBerry and the team is doing all that is very possible to get the device to market.
    I'm a project manager (not a high level one maybe but I think I understand how it works) and would have never allowed my employees to communicate about my next product if I was not about (let's say 2 months before max) to launch. I must admit I agree with OP. That could be different in a market where there's no rivalry but this smartphone market is all about competition. And revealing a competitor too soon is a bad move, whatever it is official, leak or anything.
    We had the information about the September release, it's true but I do think we had this information too soon. I mean (that's only my opinion, let's make it clear), giving the roadmap was clever, giving details about the products too soon was not.

That doesn't mean it's an easy thing to innovate and create a new product like the passport and I'm sure Chen and teams are working hard. Just, the communication is still an issue even if it is better that it was some months ago.

Now, I'm very curious about this passport and I think it is legitimate to tease it but in this case it was too far from the goal in my opinion. And above all because I fear that the real marketing will be as poor as usual. As some others said, the hype is already leaving... I read a lot of comments on twitter, and so on, from tech addicts (not Blackberry addicts) that were surprised that the Passport was not yet released. Not that they would have bought it but they did think it has been sold since it was announced by tech sites long ago.
    Last edited by BaffTech; 08-07-14 at 10:27 AM.
    08-07-14 06:11 AM
    We've all HEARD September 2014, but can I just remind all of you in the States about how the release of the OTHER BB10 devices went down? If it's the same way, the Passport MIGHT be released in September, but WE won't see it until November/December/January.
    dbiv5445 likes this.
    08-07-14 06:41 AM
    I'm a project manager (not a high level one maybe but I think I understand how it works) and would have never allowed my employees to communicate about my next product if I was not about (let's say 2 months before max) to launch. I must admit I agree with OP. That could be different in a market where there's no rivalry but this smartphone market is all about competition. And revealing a competitor too soon is a bad move, whatever it is official, leak or anything.
    We had the information about the September release, it's true but I do think we had this information too soon. I mean (that's only my opinion, let's make it clear), giving the roadmap was clever, giving details about the products too soon was not.

That doesn't mean it's an easy thing to innovate and create a new product like the password and I'm sure Chen and teams are working hard. Just, the communication is still an issue even if it is better that it was some months ago.

Now, I'm very curious about this passport and I think it is legitimate to tease it but in this case it was too far from the goal in my opinion. And above all because I fear that the real marketing will be as poor as usual. As some others said, the hype is already leaving... I read a lot of comments on twitter, and so on, from tech addicts (not Blackberry addicts) that were surprised that the Passport was not yet released. Not that they would have bought it but they did think it has been sold since it was announced by tech sites long ago.
    I understand that it was a communication to communicate with the markets but too much early. The goal for BlackBerry to win market shares is not techies or crackberry community. It's to convince android and apple.people to buy BlackBerry device. I like BlackBerry device and I always communicate with my friends and colleagues about BlackBerry news, but we have not to be blind, BlackBerry as serious pb of communication essentially the leaks and poor actuality.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys likes this.
    08-07-14 07:03 AM
    I am going to wait for an announcement and get it when it comes out. Not sure why people get all worked up about it.

Posted via CB10
    tim11, acovey, spikesolie and 1 others like this.
    08-07-14 07:06 AM
    I hope they launch ahead of the iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and I believe HTC have another upcoming launch, all scheduled September, I know they may not be competing directly on a mass scale with the passport, but I'm sure business execs are going to be buying new devices and BlackBerry will have less of an opportunity after these launches. Sorry, but all of us at the crackberry community are not enough to make this device successful, who some may not even opt to buy the passport and are not willing to wait.
    progguy likes this.
    08-07-14 07:08 AM
    Totally agree NG888.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:09 AM
    As we say in our sector : "a good product is a product you sell well"
    Even if passport is sophisticated, and nice and everything a nerd want. If the opinion leader don't buy it, it will not be a commercial success.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:13 AM
71 123