"What good is the grass if the horse that will eat it is dead?"

Right timing is essential for the success of the product...

Posted via CB10
    progguy likes this.
    08-07-14 07:39 AM
    If the Passport doesn't launch in the States in mid-September, then BlackBerry may as well throw in the towel. iPhone 6 will steal ALL the hype.

The waiting period for the Q10 was nearly three quarters of a year. If they haven't figured out by now that this is the worst thing they can do to a launch...

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 07:50 AM
    Apple will announce an iPhone and the BlackBerry passport and bb10.3 will be put out the competition

Posted via CB10
    It's my understanding that BB Passport its a niche device. As such, its not a iPhone killer!
    When JC said that BB needs to sell 10M devices a year to be profitable its obvious that
    the new devices (Passport and Classic) are not targeted for the masses like the iPhone is.
    Edited:
    As a member of SA commented on an article.
    "Why does everyone use Apple & Samsung handset sales as a benchmark for success or failure of BBRY? This is a completely new company (with a new basis) that doesn't even try to compete with these handset makers on a macro level. It's like Porsche worried about the market share of GM and Ford. The metrics that will represent the future success of BBRY have now completely changed. I wish more contributors would discuss the valuations and achievable goals that BBRY is actually targeting."
    Last edited by eduzojordan; 08-07-14 at 08:55 AM.
    dbiv5445 and acovey like this.
    08-07-14 08:11 AM
    So OP stated that Apple announces an Iphone, and it is released a week later? well in that case the Iphone 6 should have been on the market about 6 months ago, with all the hype and leaks about it. Phones leak months in advance for a reason, to simply get people talking about a phone before it officially hits the market. that what Tech Blogs can write reviews, and so on.

get some patience people.
    08-07-14 08:57 AM
    If they'd somehow kept it quiet all we'd have had on here is moans that BlackBerry weren't doing anything and that they missed a trick by not warming up the market in advance.

Can't win.

Posted via CB10
    The problem isn't that BlackBerry couldn't keep it quiet. Leaks are good, if we're strictly talking about hype.

However, once a device is announced (we'll say 'officially recognised' for the Passport), leaks loose their value and hype dies down. They are no longer attention grabbing or as exciting as when everything was still speculation, because it's not speculation anymore. It's basically a waiting phase, and when people wait too long, they forget. The problem is this awkward time frame between announcement and release where the Passport is stuck in right now.

Look at the iPhone 6 on the news at the moment. Apple refuses to acknowledge it despite leaks everywhere because they know that even if everyone knows, nothing is confirmed until they say so. They don't feel the need to rush announce it even if the public becomes aware. This uncertainty is what drives hype, not necessarily how awesome the device might be.

I think the Joker said something like that once.

"Nobody panics when the expected people get killed. Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plans are horrifying."

What he's basically saying is that when things can be predicted, when people know it's going to happen, they stay calm. Add a bit of doubt and it will have a much bigger effect on people. There is no more doubt about the Passport.
    progguy likes this.
    08-07-14 09:19 AM
    So OP stated that Apple announces an Iphone, and it is released a week later? well in that case the Iphone 6 should have been on the market about 6 months ago, with all the hype and leaks about it. Phones leak months in advance for a reason, to simply get people talking about a phone before it officially hits the market. that what Tech Blogs can write reviews, and so on.

That's my point. Leaks with no official announcement are good. However, what's the point of leaks if we know what to expect? There is no more hype. We know the Passport's specs. We know how it looks like. We know more or less how it will work.

The same can't be said with the same certainty for the iPhone 6.
    08-07-14 09:25 AM
    Damn, BlackBerry can never win with some of you guys. We (Crackberry community / Techies) already knew from the 10.3 and 10.3.1 release memo that the passport was coming in 10.3 in September and Classic in November and 10.3.1 for all devices. Why can't we all be patient and wait for it?
    I think your missing the point. BB is the only company in the mobile sector that consistently shows a new product with little details only to go silent for months on end - up to half a year or longer before having any sort of official release. They honestly should just keep quite until they are closer to when the product is closer to being released.
    08-07-14 09:55 AM
    How many years have people been waiting for a "new" iPhone? 7 is it? And yet you say Blackberry takes too long? I think we're lucky in that BB is giving us some new toys every few months....

I think your missing the point. BB is the only company in the mobile sector that consistently shows a new product with little details only to go silent for months on end - up to half a year or longer before having any sort of official release. They honestly should just keep quite until they are closer to when the product is closer to being released.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    08-07-14 10:24 AM
    Do not allow your impatience to make you bitter- or say things negative about BB. Just be patience, it will come- just like the BB10 running 10.1 or the PlayBook running 2.0. they all came and went. Passport will be the same way- Just be Patience!
    08-07-14 11:04 AM

The big difference is if you saw Jobs or Cook showing off a brand new iPhone, you knew you could buy it within the week. Bloggers, fans, and tech enthusiasts can speculate all they want, but there's never anything official from Apple until they are ready to execute.

How long has it been since Chen showed off the Passport and Classic?

I agree with the OP, BlackBerry should either have these phones hitting the market now, or they shouldn't have been showing them off so early.

I remember seeing blurbs in the news when the Passport was first teased. My concern is, in a month (or two or whenever) when it actually comes out, do you think the news will mention it again? Or will they think "Oh, that's old, we covered that in July."
    progguy likes this.
    08-07-14 11:10 AM
    Leaks are bad. Good for start up to make some tease but for a company like BlackBerry that was on higher places and go down because of pretentiousness not hearing the market. Leaks are poison, because every news are very difficult to create and the surprise is not there because already known. So yes as Chen said, BlackBerry have to cut the leaks flow. BlackBerry would go back when they will be trendy as years ago. Now crackberry community and BlackBerry have to focus on wining strategy, not trying something hybrid between apple and old RIM communication strategy. So BlackBerry has to make PROFESSIONAL communication and stop leaks. Ok it's not suitable for crackberry in short term. We will have less meaningful article but it's the pain.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:11 AM
    The big difference is if you saw Jobs or Cook showing off a brand new iPhone, you knew you could buy it within the week. Bloggers, fans, and tech enthusiasts can speculate all they want, but there's never anything official from Apple until they are ready to execute.

How long has it been since Chen showed off the Passport and Classic?

I agree with the OP, BlackBerry should either have these phones hitting the market now, or they shouldn't have been showing them off so early.

I remember seeing blurbs in the news when the Passport was first teased. My concern is, in a month (or two or whenever) when it actually comes out, do you think the news will mention it again? Or will they think "Oh, that's old, we covered that in July."
    Pretty easy to do that when it's a matter of same but newer. If you cast your mind back to the initial media response to the Passport, they recoiled in horror. It's only been over the intervening time that there's been more sober reflection and wondering if it actually made sense. The unveiling was to prepare the media and the tech blogs for something a bit different. Had they released it within the week, it'd have been laughed at and dismissed. Even on here it's taken time to grow on people.
    08-07-14 11:18 AM
    Bingo!

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:21 AM
    Pretty easy to do that when it's a matter of same but newer. If you cast your mind back to the initial media response to the Passport, they recoiled in horror. It's only been over the intervening time that there's been more sober reflection and wondering if it actually made sense. The unveiling was to prepare the media and the tech blogs for something a bit different. Had they released it within the week, it'd have been laughed at and dismissed. Even on here it's taken time to grow on people.
    Bingo Banco!

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:36 AM
    This is so good to hear! Hopefully no one will be talking about the iPhone 6 when it's finally released in September. I've already had enough of the leaked news from earlier in the year.
    08-07-14 11:42 AM
    How many years have people been waiting for a "new" iPhone? 7 is it? And yet you say Blackberry takes too long? I think we're lucky in that BB is giving us some new toys every few months....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    What are you talking about???? The comment is not directed at "people" in general (i.e.: consumers) its pretty specific. In laymen's terms is about the timeline of a "company" when it acknowledges a device they are making and when they actually get around to releasing it.

Specifically to your comment, you're taking about consumer talk and then cross relating it to my comment about a company and its practices. Also BB is not giving anyone new "toys" every few months. If you look at their hardware release dates they are typically on 12-16 month cycle.

If you get a chance you should go back and read the comment and not be so quick on the defensive.
    08-07-14 11:47 AM

Apple never announced the iPhone 6 months ago. I think everyone would agree that Apple does not "officially" release any info about a product(s) months ahead of being available to consumers. They do it within a fairly tight/confined window between announcing and releasing it.
    08-07-14 11:54 AM
    Missing the point here

Chen showed off the Passport and Classic to encourage users to wait, especially Classic. He is also asking major corporate clients to wait for BES12. Perhaps neededto shoq why wait.

September for Passport feels like torture to some of us and the right techy types are also waiting for it. As for Apple it s ho-hum, another iPhone, finally bigger.

Remember late release of 3 unfinished products is what nearly killed BlackBerry.

Happily many who went away from BlackBerry are going to get to the end of 2 year contracts soon. (saw a 2 day old Q10 yesterday)

Fingers crossed

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    DBones1021 likes this.
    08-07-14 12:14 PM
    Damn, BlackBerry can never win with some of you guys. We (Crackberry community / Techies) already knew from the 10.3 and 10.3.1 release memo that the passport was coming in 10.3 in September and Classic in November and 10.3.1 for all devices. Why can't we all be patient and wait for it?
    It's only 'us' that know. Blackberry would do better if they told the world that their phone was coming. Like a someone said above.. Ask 100 people about the passport, and maybe 2 have heard about.

While one might say, they will tell the world when it's actually released... But as the whole world are more informed about apple products and samsung, it might help blackberry to make people aware they are releasing a phone too
    08-07-14 12:32 PM
    All we can do is wait. This power discussion is way too early! Someone was right earlier in saying if you ask 100 people on the street maybe 2 would know something about the Passport. I would dare to say that the large majority of the other 98 thinks that BlackBerry is no more. IMO if you are reading this or a member of this site you would be considered a BlackBerry enthusiast at some level. So we can't be counted in the having to wait too long. But at this point even insiders don't know the entire plan for sure.

I was also one standing by after the Super Bowl commercial for the availability, just to find out that is was still a few months away from releasing in the states. But I was also one to already know that BlackBerry was suppose to have that commercial spot a week or so before hand.
    With Chen at the helm now, "changing things there" would be an understatement. I can only think that he has this on lock too. And we will not know the plan until it is unfolded.
    I do know I will be trying to get my hands on one as close to the launch date (whenever that is) as possible.
    Sept 12 is the BlackBerry/FCC confidentiality deadline. Only my speculation but I expect buzz and in your face marketing to kick up about a week or 2 prior to that. But my speculation really don't amount to a hill of beans!

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    08-07-14 01:14 PM
    I always taught the launch of the Z10 was a big mistake....

I think if you want to launch a phone.... you launch it. It goes on sale that day and people can at least order it and have it delivered next week. Launch a phone and it goes on sale in two weeks in a couple of markets and take two months to come to what is still considered one of the most important markets - especially for Enterprise. Maybe a new sheriff in town, but he's still following the same small town rule book.

Passport's form factor doesn't interest me, but the wait for a replacement for the Z10 or Z30 does seem to be taking a long time....
    08-07-14 01:19 PM
    Everyone always says this. However, I'm pretty sure from the time of 'unveiling' to the time of release thus far has been fairly short when compared to previous stuff. I have no data to back up that simply because I never went looking for it, but I have a feeling it's right. And not it matters in the grand scheme of things but officially, BlackBerry hasn't even yet announced the device lol. It was more of a 'tease' or testing the waters than an actual announcement.
    Not only this, but the distance between the device being revealed to the time it debuts is irrelevant because the only people buying one will be the diehards that frequent this site. #truestory
    08-07-14 03:15 PM
    Agree with the OP. The hype seems to be slowly fading away. Alas...
    08-07-14 03:26 PM
    Apple never announced the iPhone 6 months ago. I think everyone would agree that Apple does not "officially" release any info about a product(s) months ahead of being available to consumers. They do it within a fairly tight/confined window between announcing and releasing it.
    Except that's completely false as they announced the mac pro like 6 months before it was released along with the original iPhone. Plenty of other devices as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 03:32 PM
    Really iPhone not announced early.

There is a new one a year.

There seem to be leaked stories that increase until announcement that seem pretty slick for months before that Apple wont confirm or deny.

Fans in the press assist

Yep, tight as a drum, each time

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    08-07-14 04:12 PM
71 123