12-06-14 09:29 PM
62 123
tools
    I don't have an issue with the black bars, BUT BlackBerry needs to fix the Passport's interface with the slimport connection. When streaming videos off the browser, you have no option to fill the TV screen (e.g. the "play on" option doesn't work).

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 08:44 AM
    it's very good, very sharp
    the size is about the same as Z10 in landscape and it's a little sharper.

also can zoom if you like for some things. Have done this watching F1 races, zoom in to have the square center of the screen sometimes
    12-05-14 08:44 AM
    Is viewing videos on Passport really bad?-mockit_25112014075513.jpg

Not so bad !

Posted with my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1XXX
    12-05-14 08:48 AM
    I had an iPhone 4s before my BlackBerry Q10. I played video on both the 4s and the passport, and it's exactly the same viewing area.

Its just like when someone will say to you, "Why did they make it so square, why did BlackBerry pick that size?" After you whip out your paper passport and overlay the phone, it clicks for people and everything makes sense. Its purely a matter of perspective. Is it the ultimate video machine? No, but I hope you realized that before your purchase that the Passport isn't just a content consumer. With Miracast and Slimport though, the capability of bringing content onto a large screen is solid. The Slimport adapter comes separate, I purchased mine off Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 09:12 AM
    The title of this thread might as well be...

Is viewing videos on Passport Ipad really bad?...because Ipad is not 16:9

OR

Is viewing videos on Passport a television really bad?.....because no television is going to show a movie from bluray or DVD., that was shot at the normal Orignal Aspect Raio of 2.4:1 (wider than 16:9) without having "black bars" because the black bars are actually part of the Bluray/DVD video. (that has a 16:9 image spec)

OR

Is viewing videos on Passport cable TV in a hotel room with analog cable really bad?...because analog cable is by definition 4:3, and includes content that has been letterboxed, and thus will show up as bars when you watch it. (as well as stretched out)

Sooo.....ANY screen will be out of ratio for something, it just depends on what you're watching, and what you're watching it on.
    12-05-14 09:56 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MockIt_25112014075513.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	318852

Not so bad !

Posted with my PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1XXX
    Unfortunately with that example you just threw out about 30% of the movie and can't see things happening that the movie makers intended you to see. That's why in the days of 4:3 analog TV, you'd always see the disclaimer at the beginning of the movie that says: "This film has been modified from it's original version. It has been formatted to fit your screen".

Is viewing videos on Passport really bad?-6a00e552250bc988340120a5fc9c10970c-500pi.png
    12-05-14 10:03 AM
    The black bars argument makes no sense at all, the screen is wider than the iPhone 4 and slightly smaller than the iPhone 5 in landscape.. Was it bad to watch videos on the iPhone 4? I don't think so, videos look great on the passport...

Anyway you don't buy the passport to watch videos, but for the occasional Youtube link or any news website videos or whatever you need to watch, it looks pretty good! The resolution of the screen is great!

From all the reviews of the passport I've seen, NO ONE has ever mentioned that the screen is wider than the iPhone 4 in landscape, I believe that put things into perspective, much more than just talking about the black bars...
    Well it isn't really competing with the iPhone 4x or iPhone 5x, the real issue is how it compares to an iPhone 6 or the latest Galaxy, which is what the reviewers are probably using as a comparison.
    12-05-14 10:05 AM
    Simply a case of thinking you are missing something when you are not.... people get this weird idea that if it does not fill the screen you are missing something... which is further from the truth.... if you fill the 1 -1 aspect with a 16 - 9 video you loose a good portion on the side.... hence the bars... This is the principal reason computer monitors went from being square a couple of years ago to rectangular today... multimedia.... so you may have bars but you do not lose anything with how the video was shot....
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    12-05-14 12:27 PM
    I consume a lot of video content on my Passport and it have never noticed the issue of the bars. Sure they're there but after a few seconds you're watching the video and it's all 'gone'. GIF's and similar normally shift to full screen sans bars.
    12-05-14 01:04 PM
    All this talk about a "business phone". One would think this is a phone aimed at consumers.
    12-05-14 01:31 PM
    Honestly, I got used to it. I don't pay any mind to it anymore. I seem to forget that those black bars are even there lol. It would definitely be nice to have a full screen though.

Posted via my Classic Passport
    12-05-14 01:32 PM
    Yes there are black bars.

Is it bad? I don't find it to be. After a while you don't even notice.

People act is if they've never seen black bars before. How many times do we see movies on our own TVs with black bars?!!

Nit picking at its finest.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 01:33 PM
    No.

CB10 on my Passport
    12-05-14 01:38 PM
    I certainly would not call it "bad." It is less than ideal, but are you really going to make a big fuss about the black bars. Like it's going to be the big nail in the coffin that ruins an otherwise great phone. The screens amazingly sharp and clear, to claim the video viewing experience is poor is nitpicking.

On the other hand, if viewing videos is such an essential part of your phone usage there is the reality that the Passport might not be for you.
    12-05-14 04:10 PM
    I wonder when we're going to see an end to these threads which begin with a completely negative premise?

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
    12-05-14 04:19 PM
    Depends on your age. Watching old videos with 4:3 ratio is perfect. :-)

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:25 PM
    It won't be as good as watching it on really any other phone out right now, but it's not terrible. The great speakers really help with the experience.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:43 PM
    I wonder when we're going to see an end to these threads which begin with a completely negative premise?

It's a legitimate question and I bought a Passport so I'm entitled to ask hard questions while I wait to ensure the purchase was the right one for me??

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 05:18 PM
    There is no right or wrong answer here, just opinions.

If you bought it, see for yourself and decide if its good or not for you.
    12-05-14 06:31 PM
    Not as good as a TV, but better than a Classic

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-05-14 07:00 PM
    It's a legitimate question and I bought a Passport so I'm entitled to ask hard questions while I wait to ensure the purchase was the right one for me??
    I believe he was referring to the wording as appose to your concerns. The way you worded it comes off as being rather negative. As if you expect it to be "really bad." I'd say that's quite the stretch for some black bars and could probably re-word it to be a little more positive.

Is viewing videos on Passport alright?
    12-05-14 07:17 PM
    Still seems bigger than most phones plus you get everything else so it's win win.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 07:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    This issue is your idea of a "hard question"? Wow!

My comment was simply my own fatigue, as a Passport owner, at threads which pose the negative rather than the positive.

As an owner of a Passport and a member of this forum, do I have less an entitlement to express my views as you do to ask what you consider to be the "hard questions"?

12-05-14 07:40 PM
    I just watch four full seasons of Boston Legal on my Passport. Display quality and speakers are great.

Denny Crane

Posted via CB10
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-05-14 07:48 PM
    Was it bad to watch videos on the iPhone 4? I don't think so, videos look great on the passport...
    Watching videos, reading, and doing practically any mobile computing was horrible on the iPhone 4.

It wasn't bad enough to hold off the entire legion of devoted Apple fans; but the deluge in sales of the iPhone 6/6+ as well as the prior success of Samsung indicates the screen size was an issue for a lot of people.

It's not make or break but Blackberry likely suffers from the same effect.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-05-14 at 08:22 PM.
    12-05-14 08:10 PM
62 123