12-06-14 08:29 PM
62 123
tools
    While I wait for my Passport in the mail, I hear viewing videos on the Passport is really bad due to black bars. Is this true? Is it as bad as some reviews have stated?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 12:58 AM
    For me is good. I come from q10 to passport. Also I have an iPhone but still I watch video on passport.

Passport
    12-05-14 01:22 AM
    Bad is relative. True, there are black bars on top and bottom to compensate for the aspect ratio, but other than that the screen is great and the image is clear. The bars just remind you of the wasted space, that's all. Image is actually as big as an iphone 5s in landscape.

I watch NBA gametime on my Passport almost daily and the viewing experience is not bad but also not big enough especially when compared with a Galaxy Note.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 01:27 AM
    I thought at first I'd have a problem with it, but in all honesty I'm actually fine with viewing video on it. And I watch a lot of videos on mine from Showbox.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 01:38 AM
    Black bars does not bother me. The Passport is such a great phone. Got mine today. Very impressive. Gives me renewed faith in BlackBerry to produce innovative handsets. Only using my Z10 to post because the Passport is charging. Couldn't put it down today.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.1.1151
    bakron1 and renzokuken.tan like this.
    12-05-14 01:41 AM
    I generally don't watch many videos on my phone, but just happened to watch a few today on my Passport. It wasn't terrible, just not as good as normal rectangular ones.

For the life of me, I don't get the desire to use a phone instead of a tablet or big TV for the majority of video consumption.
    12-05-14 02:06 AM
    As mentioned above, the video size is the same on the Passport as my daughter's IPhone 5 & very clear. I regularly watch Peppa Pig on it with my granddaughter & we have no complaints...

Posted on CB10 with my Passport but previously my Q10
    12-05-14 02:11 AM
    I don't think it's bad at all.. don't even notice the black bars plus, the display is awesome anyway. Maybe if it was crap I'd notice or care more but it's not so... all good.
    12-05-14 02:12 AM
    Not at all!!!

As far as mobile experience goes, and this is based on my personal consumption rate and type (may vary from one person to another)
    Videos on the passport are Moore than adequate for my taste.

Passport Powered
    12-05-14 02:12 AM
    You can always pinch to zoom
    12-05-14 02:17 AM
    I have watched a few videos on my passport and I don't even notice the black bars anymore. The screen is bright and sharp, so far its been the best BlackBerry I have had.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-05-14 03:33 AM
    The black bars argument makes no sense at all, the screen is wider than the iPhone 4 and slightly smaller than the iPhone 5 in landscape.. Was it bad to watch videos on the iPhone 4? I don't think so, videos look great on the passport...

Anyway you don't buy the passport to watch videos, but for the occasional Youtube link or any news website videos or whatever you need to watch, it looks pretty good! The resolution of the screen is great!

From all the reviews of the passport I've seen, NO ONE has ever mentioned that the screen is wider than the iPhone 4 in landscape, I believe that put things into perspective, much more than just talking about the black bars...
    12-05-14 03:55 AM
    From all the reviews of the passport I've seen, NO ONE has ever mentioned that the screen is wider than the iPhone 4 in landscape, I believe that put things into perspective, much more than just talking about the black bars...
    The black bars actually gives you the illusion that there is wasted screen realestate. In reality it is viewable, but honestly, for a big phone you need to compare it to the Note or the iphone 6 plus rather than the iphone 5s. Which is where the passport suffers because of the aspect ratio.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:09 AM
    It's not bad and it's not great. I say it's good. The video are still decent sized with black bars. Before I purchased the phone, I knew what I was getting myself into. Media was on the bottom of my most important features list.

If you're looking for a gaming and video phone, definitely go for the iPhone 6.
    Ealaionta and eyesopen1111 like this.
    12-05-14 04:11 AM
    Bearing in mind that most TVs show black bars when watching films as the aspect ratios are different, I'd be surprised if that was a show stopper

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:38 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    It's awesome...

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 04:59 AM
    I agree with you. You are right.
    12-05-14 05:03 AM
    High Res screen... if its to small, hold it closer to your face, it magically gets bigger! Haha

But honestly, I've watched hours of youtube video on my passport sitting in front of my big screen that is turned off... it is great, you wont be disappointed

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    HighFlight88 likes this.
    12-05-14 05:18 AM
    I alway agree with you! Black bar on top and bottom screen are big trouble! I wish the video to be viewed all of screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 05:24 AM
    It is HORRIBLE. Videos display the same size as an iPhone 5, except you don't have to turn the phone sideways. As our friend JC might say, 453 ppi screen? I hate that. I am over 50 and I wear bifocals, so how am I going to even SEE those extra ppi? I want a small screen, tinny speakers and a lower ppi screen. That's what you want too. And it should cost at least 50% more.

Seriously, the HTC One M8 is probably one of the best phones for watching Netflix. The funny thing is that millions of people watch video on small iphone screens and think it's wonderful, but will tell you that the same size video on the Passport with better resolution and sound is terrible.

Posted via CB10
    tomsobon, LuvULongTime and acovey like this.
    12-05-14 05:40 AM
    I agree, I don't get it, especially when home. I suppose its when the majority are out of the house that they use their phone. For me, the laptop still reigns supreme!

For the life of me, I don't get the desire to use a phone instead of a tablet or big TV for the majority of video consumption.[/QUOTE]
    acovey likes this.
    12-05-14 05:45 AM
    it's good and mostly watch YouTube or news. Also subtitles are good to read. Viewable size is like the iphone 4s so it's not bad at all
    Last edited by whatsever; 12-06-14 at 12:21 AM.
    12-05-14 06:50 AM
    It's as bad as winning in the lottery!

Posted on CB 10 and typed on the best Keyboard ever
    12-05-14 06:52 AM
    I wouldn't want to watch an entire movie on the PP, but for youtube videos or so it's perfectly fine.
    12-05-14 06:56 AM
    I generally don't watch many videos on my phone, but just happened to watch a few today on my Passport. It wasn't terrible, just not as good as normal rectangular ones.

For the life of me, I don't get the desire to use a phone instead of a tablet or big TV for the majority of video consumption.
    How do the other commuters react to you dragging along your 40" TV on the subway?
    andy957 and TheScionicMan like this.
    12-05-14 06:57 AM
62 123