Hello all, my faithful friend The Passport, has died.

I took the phone out of my pocket and it froze and restarted, showing the Blackberry logo (words) in white on a black screen. I couldn't do much other than let it use its battery up and look at it today.

I have been unable to reset it:
    • Holding power and volume keys
    • Loading latest Autoloader (plugging in at last minute and starting connected, it still fails)
    • Reloading in BB Link
    • Attempting SIC Multiwipe

With the Autoloader and SIC Multiwipe, it can connect but can not complete because the phone is constantly connecting/disconnecting from the computer. I know it is connecting/disconnecting because Windows makes the connect and disconnect noises and the Autoloader/SIC Multiwipe fails when the disconnect noise occurs.

I've tried different cables and computer ports. The computer I am using used to work fine with this phone. I switched SMB 1.0 on temporatily just in case.

Any ideas on how I can fix it? I suspect that it is properly dead but would appreciate any input.

The only thing to add is that the USB port has been warning me for a while now about using a different charger (you know the message) or occasionally failed to charge. I wonder if it is worth having a new USB port installed and trying again.

If I leave it
    02-22-20 11:59 AM
    I guess an obvious question is: Do you believe the battery to be viable?
    02-22-20 12:16 PM
    I guess an obvious question is: Do you believe the battery to be viable?
    Ah yeah, it had a new battery and wasn't misbehaving in that respect prior to its demise. It managed to do its boot loop for hours and hours and get quite toasty before it stopped!
    02-22-20 01:45 PM
    Ah yeah, it had a new battery and wasn't misbehaving in that respect prior to its demise. It managed to do its boot loop for hours and hours and get quite toasty before it stopped!
    Sadly, it may be a motherboard failure since it looks like you have tried all other fixes.
    02-22-20 01:49 PM
    I think so. Sad times. It's definitely getting framed and put on the wall!

Posted via CB10
    02-22-20 01:53 PM
    I think so. Sad times. It's definitely getting framed and put on the wall!

Posted via CB10
    I'd still try to replace USB port as a last resort, at least.
    Or to find a repair shop who could find the problem and to fix it...
    02-22-20 03:01 PM
    I'd still try to replace USB port as a last resort, at least.
    Or to find a repair shop who could find the problem and to fix it...
    Respectfully, I disagree. Just not worth it at a repair shop (at least here in N. America). Cheaper (if you MUST have one) to buy on ebay etc.
    02-22-20 03:09 PM
    have to agree with brookie. there's still a few new passports on ebay
    02-23-20 01:40 AM
    Now, now, fellas calm down!

I am going to Dubai for a few where repairs are very cheap so I will see if they have a USB port at Minutes and Dubai Mall. It is unlikely they will have it, but worth a try as I pass by.

I had a look at that great Russian parts site which I have used in the past but they don't sell the port separately anymore (did they ever?).

I'm rocking the spare Z10 now with an extra battery and so far in enjoying it's smaller size. Getting used to VKB and loss of keyboard shortcuts but overall it is still a great OS to use, especially the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-20 03:59 AM
    I was in Dubai few weeks ago and tried to locate a NIB passport. Nothing.
    From Dubai mall down to small shops. Nothing.
    Down to repair shops, small time resellers. Nothing.
    OLX had few beat up overpriced deals. BlackBerry is truly dead there. Still rocking my z10 with a brand new genuine battery and going strong.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-20 01:09 PM
    I was in Dubai few weeks ago and tried to locate a NIB passport. Nothing.
    From Dubai mall down to small shops. Nothing.
    Down to repair shops, small time resellers. Nothing.
    OLX had few beat up overpriced deals. BlackBerry is truly dead there. Still rocking my z10 with a brand new genuine battery and going strong.

Posted via CB10
    How does lack of five year old NIB hardware correlate with brand itself?
    02-26-20 06:43 PM
    It's alive!!!

I took it to Minutes at the Dubai Mall and asked for them to install a new USB port. They opened it up, (possibly) cleaned the port out and put it back together and declared it dead. They didn't have the port in stock.

I thought I'd give the Autoloader a go and it loaded fine! I couldn't believe it!

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-26-20 10:19 PM
    Glad to hear it works again. You may want to get a spare from ebay just in case. I have a spare PP myself. They will become scarce

Posted via CB10
    02-27-20 03:28 AM
    How does lack of five year old NIB hardware correlate with brand itself?
    I am sure most readers got it, that I am referring to Blackberry OS 10 devices.
    02-27-20 12:55 PM
    I am sure most readers got it, that I am referring to Blackberry OS 10 devices.
    BB10 is technically dead since it’s EOL hardware and software. The only thing still running are the servers for now. I’m not sure what you’re expecting other than dead? It’s been over three years now.
    02-27-20 01:22 PM