Hi all,

I've been using the Android version of WhatsApp(2.18.191) on my BlackBerry Passport (on software release 10.3.3.2205) downloaded through Cobalt's Play Store. Now when I try to use the app it doesn't work and I get the following message:

"This version of WhatsApp became obsolete on Dec 11, 2018. Please go to the Google Play Store to download the latest version."

After doing some research here, I was able to find that WhatsApp version 2.18.203 does work fine. I had tried to install it but I get the same error message. Latest version 2.18.361 works but after few seconds I get an error message Whatsapp is not responding

Anyone else having this issue or know what's going on?
    12-12-18 04:28 AM
    I don't know about this issue but I would rather suggest you yalp store for downloading apks...
    it's a play store client!
    and for whatsapp
    I recommend ignoring the issue and deleting the whatsapp version u have...
    and the go to the official whatsapp website and download the android version for it.
    pretty easy huh?
    Hope I helped!

Posted via CB10
    Frozen_Yogurt likes this.
    12-12-18 07:22 AM
    oh ya here are the links...
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sergey...-apk-download/
    &
    whatsapp.com
    here^
    good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Frozen_Yogurt likes this.
    12-12-18 07:26 AM
    oh ya here are the links...
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sergey...-apk-download/
    &
    whatsapp.com
    here^
    good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, man! I'll try it, and keep you posted
    Last edited by Frozen_Yogurt; 12-12-18 at 02:45 PM.
    12-12-18 09:07 AM
    I don't know about this issue but I would rather suggest you yalp store for downloading apks...
    it's a play store client!
    and for whatsapp
    I recommend ignoring the issue and deleting the whatsapp version u have...
    and the go to the official whatsapp website and download the android version for it.
    pretty easy huh?
    Hope I helped!

Posted via CB10
    bb92a5, have you had different results with Yalp than with Google Play? It's been my experience that (since Yalp is a Play client) if something won't work when you download it with Google Play, it won't work with Yalp either.

Thanks, man! I'll try it, and keep you posted
    Frozen, here's hoping you can somehow get a working Whatsapp from either of the sources bb92a mentioned, but if not, I'd try WA 2.18.274. Grab it from Aptoide:

https://en.aptoide.com

or from APKPure:

https://apkpure.com/whatsapp-messeng...ions%2Fversion
    12-12-18 09:00 PM
    why I recommend using yalp is that it tries to give you to apk version that may support your device
    that's the advantage of this and good thing is that you don't have to waste your time and data bundles!
    hope I helped!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-18 03:03 AM
    why I recommend using yalp is that it tries to give you to apk version that may support your device
    that's the advantage of this and good thing is that you don't have to waste your time and data bundles!
    hope I helped!

Posted via CB10
    Fair enough. While Yalp does TRY to provide compatible apps, many apps on Play are stated as actively incompatible with BB10 devices (or at least such devices are not on a "whitelist" of compatible ones to which the app will then allow itself to be downloaded to) so the practical experience for BB10 users is they end up believing apps will not work when that very well may not be the case if a different version of the app is downloaded from another source.

But to each their own!

Posted via CB10
    12-13-18 08:47 AM
    Fair enough. While Yalp does TRY to provide compatible apps, many apps on Play are stated as actively incompatible with BB10 devices (or at least such devices are not on a "whitelist" of compatible ones to which the app will then allow itself to be downloaded to) so the practical experience for BB10 users is they end up believing apps will not work when that very well may not be the case if a different version of the app is downloaded from another source.

But to each their own!

Posted via CB10
    As long as you realize that it violates the developer's terms of service if you insist on running a deprecated version of an app - not to mention the added security issues involved.

My feeling is that if you can't run the most recent version of an app, you probably shouldn't be using it.
    12-13-18 08:56 AM
    As long as you realize that it violates the developer's terms of service if you insist on running a deprecated version of an app - not to mention the added security issues involved.

My feeling is that if you can't run the most recent version of an app, you probably shouldn't be using it.
    conite my friend, I continue to maintain that anyone running any version of Android has far more security issues than anyone running a "deprecated" version of an Android app on a BB10 device. We've had the discussion as to why in other threads and we disagree, which is fine.

However, for the record and to put everyone's mind at ease: I doubt very much that it violates most devs' Terms of Service to run older versions of the apps they created. Furthermore, I doubt most devs even HAVE separate Terms Of Service for their apps as that would require separate legal consent and disclosure any time an app is downloaded. A quick search of popular apps on the Play Store site backs this up.

BB10 and PlayBook users rest easy--you are not about to have app developers' lawyers come after you for running a compatible older version of an app on your device.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-18 09:06 AM
    conite my friend, I continue to maintain that anyone running any version of Android has far more security issues than anyone running a "deprecated" version of an Android app on a BB10 device. We've had the discussion as to why in other threads and we disagree, which is fine.

However, for the record and to put everyone's mind at ease: I doubt very much that it violates most devs' Terms of Service to run older versions of the apps they created. Furthermore, I doubt most devs even HAVE separate Terms Of Service for their apps as that would require separate legal consent and disclosure any time an app is downloaded. A quick search of popular apps on the Play Store site backs this up.

BB10 and PlayBook users rest easy--you are not about to have app developers' lawyers come after you for running a compatible older version of an app on your device.

Posted via CB10
    I was not trying to imply that lawyers would start coming for your children - only that developers absolutely hate the thought of older versions of their apps being used.
    12-13-18 09:09 AM
    I was not trying to imply that lawyers would start coming for your children - only that developers absolutely hate the thought of older versions of their apps being used.
    Shouldn't the developers have control over this? I know of several apps (particularly bank apps) that won't allow you to use older versions. IMHO this should be the norm for all apps.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-13-18 09:25 AM
    Shouldn't the developers have control over this? I know of several apps (particularly bank apps) that won't allow you to use older versions. IMHO this should be the norm for all apps.
    They would need to code a server-side check for updates. They all should, but it costs them time and money to implement.
    12-13-18 09:29 AM
    They would need to code a server-side check for updates. They all should, but it costs them time and money to implement.
    True
    But some apps really don't need to.
    What I mean is most of time apart from fixing bugs devs just add a pointer in app that device x with x state of screen is legal to use this app and device z is not!

Send by my lovely passport silver edition
    12-13-18 05:26 PM